Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lobok posted:

Might as well just jump on that Netflix money train and do a Cobra series.

Now we're talking! Start out slow, make it possible to do more seasons, à la House of Cards.

Framework is always the same: Marion "Cobra" Cobretti (holy poo poo I remembered his name without checking) is unemployed, eating pizzas with scissors on his weird beachfront property. Angry black police chief needs the case solved stat & they gotta bring him back in. Sunglasses, toothing a matchstick/toothpick, that big old Harley. Cobra fixes it up, with the help of this season's guest starring actor (thinking someone like Gregory Elliniovitch for the first season), then retires. For good. Until the next season.

Also all the criminals use Tek-9s, no exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

I'd say they got slightly better, in that the first one is totally awful, JCVD is fine in the second one, and Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas and Mel Gibson are good in the third one.

They're all still bad though.

It's the little things in the Expendables series. A fight scene in a movie set town, Jet Li literally shooting out the bottom of an airplane and out of the movie at the same time, that sort of thing. It needs like 900 times more of that and 1/10th of the really lazy action.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It should've also lived up to its name and been a blood bath of a movie. Stallone should've been the only one left alive at the end of the first one.

And maybe Statham.

Then surround them with a whole new team of action movie guys in the sequels. Don the Dragon Wilson ain't doing poo poo man! Call his rear end up!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ruddiger posted:

It should've also lived up to its name and been a blood bath of a movie. Stallone should've been the only one left alive at the end of the first one.

And maybe Statham.

Then surround them with a whole new team of action movie guys in the sequels. Don the Dragon Wilson ain't doing poo poo man! Call his rear end up!

They wouldn't even need to replace everyone. An onscreen death hasn't been final in movies for a long rear end time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

Now we're talking! Start out slow, make it possible to do more seasons, à la House of Cards.

Framework is always the same: Marion "Cobra" Cobretti (holy poo poo I remembered his name without checking) is unemployed, eating pizzas with scissors on his weird beachfront property. Angry black police chief needs the case solved stat & they gotta bring him back in. Sunglasses, toothing a matchstick/toothpick, that big old Harley. Cobra fixes it up, with the help of this season's guest starring actor (thinking someone like Gregory Elliniovitch for the first season), then retires. For good. Until the next season.

Also all the criminals use Tek-9s, no exceptions.

This is the weirdest GI Joe fanfic I've read in the last 23 minutes.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They already remade Cobra with Cindy Crawford

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PJOmega posted:

This is the weirdest GI Joe fanfic I've read in the last 23 minutes.

No man Cobra is intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Bn-_j-4Mw

Check out that apocalypticalism(sp?)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 1, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

It's the little things in the Expendables series. A fight scene in a movie set town, Jet Li literally shooting out the bottom of an airplane and out of the movie at the same time, that sort of thing. It needs like 900 times more of that and 1/10th of the really lazy action.

The first Expendables is a weird movie. For the most part, it's completely anemic with no reason to care about anything that's happening or the people it's happening to. It feels like the first issue of a comic book series, being very safe and by the numbers, rather than taking any chances or reflecting on, for instance, Stallone's old films. The dialogue feels like it was rewritten for a tv broadcast to have less swearing. Every line feels like it was rewritten hastily to match the lip motions of the actor.

But, then, Mickey Rourke shows up, delivers a growling, partially comprehensible monologue, and it holds the movie together. It gives all the standard action movie nonsense an emotional core that it hasn't really earned, and it makes the last act work, even though it shouldn't.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

dont even fink about it posted:

Jet Li has a line I really like in that scene, he says "You will find another minority" and they do. Then in the third movie it's heavily implied that he and Schwarzenegger have become lovers.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

The first Expendables is a weird movie. For the most part, it's completely anemic with no reason to care about anything that's happening or the people it's happening to. It feels like the first issue of a comic book series, being very safe and by the numbers, rather than taking any chances or reflecting on, for instance, Stallone's old films. The dialogue feels like it was rewritten for a tv broadcast to have less swearing. Every line feels like it was rewritten hastily to match the lip motions of the actor.

But, then, Mickey Rourke shows up, delivers a growling, partially comprehensible monologue, and it holds the movie together. It gives all the standard action movie nonsense an emotional core that it hasn't really earned, and it makes the last act work, even though it shouldn't.

That was a good monologue.

How do they do more expendables without Sly? I thought it was his baby.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

That was a good monologue.

How do they do more expendables without Sly? I thought it was his baby.

That's pretty much Rourke's raison d'etre. Deliver growling, regretful monologues born of a life of bad decisions. Also, it's what he does in movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

That's pretty much Rourke's raison d'etre. Deliver growling, regretful monologues born of a life of bad decisions. Also, it's what he does in movies.

He's the best parts of Animal Factory and that movie is good as gently caress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Snowman_McK posted:

My favorite story about that is that Rourke showed up and demanded something like 5 hours to rehearse that scene and Stallone was like "you got 20 minutes."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If Stallone really didn't want to be in The Expendables anymore, they could have killed him off at the start of the next one. And have his head crushed like a grape or something to hammer home he's not coming back.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

My favorite story about that is that Rourke showed up and demanded something like 5 hours to rehearse that scene and Stallone was like "you got 20 minutes."

I liked the story about his 'process' for Iron Man 2, where he thought the character was underwritten, so he brainstormed ways to make the character more interesting, deciding this character was always drunk and owned a bird.

The Mickey Rourke school of acting: "Get me a bunch of vodka and a parrot, I'll fix this fuckin' character for ya."

ruddiger posted:

He's the best parts of Animal Factory and that movie is good as gently caress.

I'll throw it on the list.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No, I didn't Was this sent through interdepartmental messaging?

The manga was different from the anime which was different from the TV series which is different from the movie.
But the very least, the changes were interesting in light of the time they were made in.

The hollywood outing seems like the most generic "They stole her life" 80s action bullshit. They probably don't even have the decency to be all Total Recall about it and say "They Stole her life, except she volunteered for it"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

I liked the story about his 'process' for Iron Man 2, where he thought the character was underwritten, so he brainstormed ways to make the character more interesting, deciding this character was always drunk and owned a bird.

The Mickey Rourke school of acting: "Get me a bunch of vodka and a parrot, I'll fix this fuckin' character for ya."

I'll throw it on the list.

He was right, because the bird is one of about four things I remember from IM2. Really wish it hadn't been meddled to death :(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Chey man. I want my bord.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

He was right, because the bird is one of about four things I remember from IM2. Really wish it hadn't been meddled to death :(

It's a really dull film. God knows how a film with Sam Rockwell as an evil CEO, Mickey Rourke as a crazy Russian inventor, Scarlett Johansson as karate spy lady and an army of robots ended up dull, but here we are.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And this is the exact moment I said "gently caress it"

I didn't hate this part as much as I thought I was going to. The Doctor Doom werewolf robots with lightsabers and exploding sneetches, on the other hand...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a really dull film. God knows how a film with Sam Rockwell as an evil CEO, Mickey Rourke as a crazy Russian inventor, Scarlett Johansson as karate spy lady and an army of robots ended up dull, but here we are.

I completely forgot Sam Rockwell was in that movie. Sam Rockwell is on my personal top 10 & I forgot he was in it. That's how forgettable it is

I remember Rourke being all over the place, but it fits with his drunk bird-owning character so I don't mind

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Powaqoatse posted:

I completely forgot Sam Rockwell was in that movie. Sam Rockwell is on my personal top 10 & I forgot he was in it. That's how forgettable it is

What? Someone post the gif of him doing the dance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Disco De Soto posted:

What? Someone post the gif of him doing the dance.

no worries, i googled up sam rockwell + ironman + youtube

actually those scenes are just eh. not my rockwell imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Detective No. 27 posted:

If Stallone really didn't want to be in The Expendables anymore, they could have killed him off at the start of the next one. And have his head crushed like a grape or something to hammer home he's not coming back.
They should go the other way and play with the idea of aging action stars, by simply having his character suffer from undiagnosed Alzheimer's and forget to show up for the action.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I didn't hate this part as much as I thought I was going to. The Doctor Doom werewolf robots with lightsabers and exploding sneetches, on the other hand...

Just for anyone who hasn't read the books, this is literally how they are described. Down to one of the bombs having the writing on them describing them as those items from that book series, and one of the characters saying they look like X holding Y.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

But the very least, the changes were interesting in light of the time they were made in.

The hollywood outing seems like the most generic "They stole her life" 80s action bullshit. They probably don't even have the decency to be all Total Recall about it and say "They Stole her life, except she volunteered for it"

WETA put some of the concept art for GITS on their ArtStation account and the prop design looks like the most phoned-in poo poo when you compare it to Elysium, Fury Road, and Edge Of Tomorrow. For god sake, this...

...was done by the same person who basically built the War Rig in Fury Road.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They should go the other way and play with the idea of aging action stars, by simply having his character suffer from undiagnosed Alzheimer's and forget to show up for the action.

I was going to make a joke about stepping it up a notch, but gently caress there are already multiple baby boomer action franchises

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Powaqoatse posted:

He should do an earnest Cobra sequel. I think the market is ready for it.

You know who should direct the Cobra sequel? Panos Cosmatos.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You know who should direct the Cobra sequel? Panos Cosmatos.

oj da, this is it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Seven years and I haven't heard a hint of him working on a new movie :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

It's troubling.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's loving bullshit

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DeimosRising posted:

How is that dude gonna do one perfect movie and then disappear completely? It's not fair

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

he tweets a lot for having disappeared completely (unless the account is fake i guess)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Powaqoatse posted:

he tweets a lot for having disappeared completely (unless the account is fake i guess)

It shows excellent taste so I doubt it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah even if it wasnt him, that account owns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does he just not have interest in any projects? He's obviously got an insane amount of talent. Sucks that he hasn't been putting it to use in a while. Though I can understand having writer's (director's?) block.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
maybe he's just spending all his time arguing in the comic book movie megathread
https://twitter.com/panoscosmatos/status/714987314842173441

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So for GitS did the lesbian stuff from the trailer actually happen? I left for a few minutes to pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

maybe he's just spending all his time arguing in the comic book movie megathread
https://twitter.com/panoscosmatos/status/714987314842173441

I love this guy. He also said that Patriot's Day had one of the best shootouts in movie history :getin:

• Locked thread