Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Girlfriend's Day kind of sucked, unfortunately

So does Let's Go To Prison, but I still like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

So does Let's Go To Prison, but I still like it.

Ha, I loved that movie.

Also, Trailer Park Boys new season should be coming out tomorrow if I remember right!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Michael Corleone posted:

Ha, I loved that movie.

Also, Trailer Park Boys new season should be coming out tomorrow if I remember right!

Are they really not giving that show the Old Yeller treatment? Last season (last "real" season, not Out of the Park) was loving awful and Bubbles is a domestic abuser irl so I'm p done with it and so is basically everyone else I know

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

I think that's a very negative way to look at it, personally. What may constitute to you as "padding/fluff" can be important character development to someone else. Season 2 is better than Season 1 (and I loved season 1), but for most of it the story doesn't necessarily "advance" too far. I think that when the writing is as good as it is in the show, and the actors are as good as they are, there's no need to worry about what is and what isn't "padding" or "important." It's all important, it's his story.

It's less that they were telling his story the way it needed to be told and more that they were slowing his story down to a glacial pace so they could continue exploring the character as he currently existed.

Considering the promotion for season 3, they seem to realize that they misstepped with Season 2 but, man, did the seemingly endless jimmy's crazy brother/jimmy's crush/jimmy's backsliding into slipping jimmy drama quickly wear out its welcome.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 30, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Netflix UK got a whole bunch of WW2 propaganda films today which look interesting:
The Battle of Midway
The Battle of San Pietro
How to Operate Behind Enemy Lines
Know Your Enemy - Japan
Let There Be Light
The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress
Nazi Concentration Camps
The Negro Soldier
Report From the Aleutians
Thunderbolt
Tunisian Victory
Why We Fight 1: Prelude to War
Why We Fight 5: The Battle of Russia (unfortunately no parts 2-4 :( )

Almost all by some legendary director or another: John Ford, Frank Capra, John Huston, William Wyler, George Stevens... I love when they get weird, esoteric stuff like this

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Allyn posted:

Netflix UK got a whole bunch of WW2 propaganda films today which look interesting:
The Battle of Midway
The Battle of San Pietro
How to Operate Behind Enemy Lines
Know Your Enemy - Japan
Let There Be Light
The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress
Nazi Concentration Camps
The Negro Soldier
Report From the Aleutians
Thunderbolt
Tunisian Victory
Why We Fight 1: Prelude to War
Why We Fight 5: The Battle of Russia (unfortunately no parts 2-4 :( )

Almost all by some legendary director or another: John Ford, Frank Capra, John Huston, William Wyler, George Stevens... I love when they get weird, esoteric stuff like this

Presumably in advance of the Netflix exclusive documentary about those films and filmmakers: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/01/five_came_back_gets_the_documentary_treatment_from_netflix.html

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sand Monster posted:

Presumably in advance of the Netflix exclusive documentary about those films and filmmakers: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/03/01/five_came_back_gets_the_documentary_treatment_from_netflix.html

That documentary is out now. It's pretty good so far. I'm only on part 1

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Know Your Enemy - Japan is on my list now. When I was young my friend of German descent showed me his VHS copy of Know Your Enemy - Germany and it was rather morally ambiguous for a propaganda film; I think the idea was to not alienate people who were still somewhat sympathetic with Germany. I think he liked it because it talked about German values and history a lot, especially German and Prussian military prowess, and I got the feeling later on that his dad was a Nazi wannabe. From what I hear, Know Your Enemy - Japan really goes for the throat, which it had to because everyone already despised the Japanese after Pearl Harbor.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm finally watching Iron Fist. It isn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I'm really enjoying Tom Pelphrey's performance so far. He did a great job in Banshee too. Does anyone else think he's channeling Michael Shannon pretty hard for this role? Every time he talks while I'm not looking at the screen I visualize Leonard the Skinhead from Let's Go To Prison.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Iron Fist is weighed down by eye rollingly bad writing and terrible fight scenes for a Kung Fu show.

Danny is a warrior monk yet constantly acts like an impulsive toddler. Creating a whole secret dad secret murder garbage subplot, the constant declarations of I MUST DESTROY THE HAND with no real motivation established as to why, or telling us I AM A LIVING WEAPON yet giving us completely unimpressive and barely rehearsed fight choreography along with struggling way too hard against disposable goons and having a worthless superpower. This show sucks. His actor also looks like he should still be dressed like he was in the intro and sitting somewhere with a guitar on a college campus.

Marvel television shows have been rapidly decreasing in quality since DD S2 and Jessica Jones (her show was highly overrated, in my opinion). Luke Cage was corny as hell, too.

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 1, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I'm finally watching Iron Fist. It isn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

Yeah, agreed. It's not perfect or anything, but it's a lot better than its reputation. It seems like most of the complaints are, as we're seeing, just indignantly describing the plot and characterization. Like, oh no, an impulsive main character, I guess that's inherently bad. I even like the relatively subdued fight scenes. There's nothing wrong with a show that focuses on showing off the performer's athleticism or elaborate choreography, but it doesn't seem like it would be right for the main character here.

I've still got a few episodes to go, but so far I'd put it on the high side of the Marvel Netflix stuff.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

RUM HAM posted:

Marvel television shows have been rapidly decreasing in quality since DD S2 and Jessica Jones (her show was highly overrated, in my opinion).

Being wrong twice in one sentence is a remarkable great. JJ was amazing and what about Legion?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Legion completely embarasses all the other comic book TV stuff. It's actually a real TV show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I liked the first season of Daredevil a lot but I agree that they've gotten steadily worse with each new show/season.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Jessica Jones was better than Daredevil's S1. Not by a huge margin or anything but still.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jessica Jones was better than Daredevil's S1. Not by a huge margin or anything but still.

Luke Cage was way better than DDs2

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It spun its wheels a lot more with the circuitous plans to trap the Purple Man and the really lame Nuke subplot. Definitely should have been a couple episodes shorter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Luke Cage was way better than DDs2

Daredevil Season 2 sucked rear end and Luke Cage had a few good performances so yeah I'm on board with that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

They're all a mixed bag, with Luke Cage coming off the worst for killing its biggest asset halfway through. And, man, is The Hand an awful villain to build multiple series around.

I can't think of anything good in Daredevil season 2 that wasn't Jon Bernthal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the one hand Luke Cage bored me enough that I never finished it, on the other hand I'm willing to believe it never got as bad as the incredibly lovely final episode of Daredevil Season 2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really dug the scene where he meets Method and it's like "my man!" "my man!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of nerd poo poo I'm watching Future Diary on Hulu and uh god loving drat that show is a rollercoaster :stare:

It's like every time I think the show's gonna settle on something for a little while, it just jerks in some completely :catdrugs: direction out of nowhere

also Yuno loving owns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Michael Mckean should be in more stuff.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Throwing in a big vote for "Legion." Just finished season 1, and it gets a hearty recommendation from me.

Very strong direction throughout. Constantly visually striking and inventive. And the writing brings all of the best weirdness and humor from Hawley's Fargo — this is not a grim, boring show. It really goes for a ride as it jumps through time and space, but it's a pleasure to be treated like a grown-up as the show lets you piece things together at your own pace. I wasn't particularly compelled to follow any of the Netflix or CW superhero shows, but this one held my interest.

If there's any negatives it's that the ensemble is uneven. Even Fargo vets Jean Smart and Rachel Keller sometimes falter. But Dan Stevens is so compelling I didn't care by the end.

And something else I found remarkable, there's a couple genuinely scary sections of the show. It's so rare to have that in TV, I can't even remember the last time a show made me feel as creeped out instead of simply "tense."

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

regulargonzalez posted:

Being wrong twice in one sentence is a remarkable great. JJ was amazing and what about Legion?

While Legion is one of the best shows of 2017, JJ was a waste of so much potential. It is a shame JJ would of been a 100 times better if it was only 8 episodes long. That said thinking about what a waste JJ was in the end, makes me never want to watch another Netflix Marvel show again.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Every marvel Netflix show is 10 eps too long and way underbaked.

Legion is an absolutely stunning depiction of mental illness, I can't think of media comparable, but it's not always compelling. It needed a bit more momentum, especially for a such a short episode order.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I thought Jessica jones was goddamn awful. It was like a 13 year old watched a noir in school for he first time and decided to try and make their own. Daredevil at least embraces the silliness of Daredevil. I thought season 2 was pretty decent all things considered.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Legion was also pretty meh for me but also better than any other marvel product

Like I'm not going to knock it because my criticisms are amplified so much on their other IPs it's not even worth bringing up

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Legion is actually quite good unlike JJ or Luke Cage, and Aubrey Plaza's performance absolutely stole the show.

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 1, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's always interesting that this thread never really seems to have middle grounds on stuff. A movie/TV show is never decent/ok/above average, it's always either a pile of utter dogshit or an artifact worth worshiping.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's always interesting that this thread never really seems to have middle grounds on stuff.

That's not this thread, that's the Internet.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

JJ is a loving private detective and couldn't think to wear certain everyday items you can practically pick up at any corner bodega to counteract her nemesis' stupid powers until the last episode (that dude's acting was corny as hell too), having somehow let him escape her literal capture numerous times before them. The constant inconsistency on the scope of her powers was dumb and so was her wooden line delivery. Finally, all that buildup of her trying to use her brain to beat the bad guy and bring him to justice, then decides to snap his neck anyway - lol just lol at that cop out.

Show sucks balls.

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 1, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

That's not this thread, that's the Internet.

No, it's just that people who thought something was just okay have the least reason to talk about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RUM HAM posted:

JJ is a loving private detective and couldn't think to wear certain everyday items you can practically pick up at any corner bodega to counteract her nemesis' stupid powers until the last episode (that dude's acting was corny as hell too), having somehow let him escape her literal capture numerous times before them. Not to mention the constant inconsistency on the scope of her powers and her wooden line delivery. Finally, all that buildup of her trying to use her brain to beat the bad guy and bring him to justice, then decides to snap his neck anyway - lol just lol at that cop out.

Show sucks balls.

"golly, why doesn't the protagonist of the show about learned helplessness use the best possible tactics at all times vs. the guy who terrifies the poo poo out of her"

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Throwing in a big vote for "Legion." Just finished season 1, and it gets a hearty recommendation from me.

Very strong direction throughout. Constantly visually striking and inventive. And the writing brings all of the best weirdness and humor from Hawley's Fargo — this is not a grim, boring show. It really goes for a ride as it jumps through time and space, but it's a pleasure to be treated like a grown-up as the show lets you piece things together at your own pace. I wasn't particularly compelled to follow any of the Netflix or CW superhero shows, but this one held my interest.

If there's any negatives it's that the ensemble is uneven. Even Fargo vets Jean Smart and Rachel Keller sometimes falter. But Dan Stevens is so compelling I didn't care by the end.

And something else I found remarkable, there's a couple genuinely scary sections of the show. It's so rare to have that in TV, I can't even remember the last time a show made me feel as creeped out instead of simply "tense."

Mushyfaced toughgirl needs to die along with Tommy gun dude, whose superpower is apparently spraying bullets everywhere but where they're supposed to go. I liked this show but those two are so out of their league to the point of detracting from the overall quality.

RUM HAM fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 1, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I need to watch something actually good is john wick streaming anywhere right now

air force one works too

e; or Dredd 2012

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"golly, why doesn't the protagonist of the show about learned helplessness use the best possible tactics at all times vs. the guy who terrifies the poo poo out of her"

I'm more annoyed about how cliche of a character she is. I'm a tough girl and I have parental issues and I drink whisky. Look at all my pathos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They just added Escape from New York to Netflix. Watch ASAP imo.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I'm more annoyed about how cliche of a character she is. I'm a tough girl and I have parental issues and I drink whisky. Look at all my pathos.

I'm gonna constantly scowl too! Show was written by a middle-schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Wait but I thought everyone liked JJ when it came out?