Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LeJackal posted:

This has to be some sort of complex plot to do something evil. It can't be legitimately true.

It's being reported in all the big movie websites, sounds like it's legit??

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1642449/lion-king-live-action-reboot-makes-a-huge-leap-for-diversity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LeJackal posted:

This has to be some sort of complex plot to do something evil. It can't be legitimately true.

Also, do not Google Image search 'gay Simba' at work.

Think about what day it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Think about what day it is.

International Transgender Day of Visibility is the perfect time to make this announcement, good job spotting that

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hopes raised then immediately dashed...

Dashed, like a lion cub's brains when being infanticided.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

starkebn posted:

Yeah, I hope it doesn't have to become a regular thing just because they've done it twice now

The audio commentary on that episode said they were aware it sucked, and hope to do another just so they can redeem the concept, and not let it stop on a lovely episode.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYMcZv9YM7k

Why... just.... why?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know what day it is, but lesbian Simba would be better since it wouldn't require them removing essentially the only girl in the movie. (Sarabi has what, four lines?)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I know what day it is, but lesbian Simba would be better since it wouldn't require them removing essentially the only girl in the movie. (Sarabi has what, four lines?)

I disagree.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know, props to them keeping the overall character designs the same when moving to digital but...who watches these? It's like The Land Before Time, who the hell is watching it after *checks wikipedia* fourteen movies :psyboom:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

I have real mixed thoughts about this for this very reason. While a greater inclusion of non-hetero characters is certainly good, all things being equal, I have the suspicion that Disney made this without giving greater thought to how it effects the work as a whole or what message it sends. In this case, making Simba gay would seem to come at the expense of Nala's already small purpose in the storyline, suggesting some sort of intrinsic net minority count.

This is all assuming the new movie sticks as closely to the old as the live action BatB stuck to the animated original.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Aces High posted:

fourteen movies :psyboom:

With a 9 year hiatus between the one that came out last year and the 2nd to last one, which came out in 2007 :psyboom:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Land Before Time I understand. Kids like dinosaurs, it's a universal constant. You have any idea how badly you have to gently caress up a dinosaur movie for kids not to like it? It can probably be done, but I don't know how.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Land Before Time I understand. Kids like dinosaurs, it's a universal constant. You have any idea how badly you have to gently caress up a dinosaur movie for kids not to like it? It can probably be done, but I don't know how.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's me, I'm the one who liked Dinosaur. I begged my parents to take me to it and I begged my university aged cousin to take me a couple weeks later. It was me who chose it as my rental for the week when it came to Blockbuster.

Why no I have not seen it since then and I'm gonna be honest, I don't want to. I want my pleasant memories of it to remain pleasant :smith:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The R&M creators have called the interdimensional cable episodes their "Treehouse of Horror" multiple times and have talked about doing it every year. That can always change, but it seems like they plan on it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reminds me that I kinda wanna see The Swan Princess again to see if it holds up to any degree.

I mean, it clearly did well enough to get a bajillion sequels (even though my knowledge of them ends with the third film), so...

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

The R&M creators have called the interdimensional cable episodes their "Treehouse of Horror" multiple times and have talked about doing it every year. That can always change, but it seems like they plan on it.

Their seasons are kind of shorter than The Simpsons seasons, though. There's about 21 non-TOH episodes for every TOH episode, while there's about 10 non-IC episodes for every IC episode.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This Japanese short animation archive is the poo poo. Have A Story of Tobacco: http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/41025

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never ever remember this loving movie exists. I'm pretty sure nobody does.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Bug's Life has been dethroned as the most forgettable Pixar movie.

E: Not to say Bug's Life is bad, I just know that sometimes, I kinda forget it exists.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 1, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Good Dinosaur, more like the Bad Dinosnore

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Man, I remember when the first trailer for that came out, and it heavily implied there were going to be no voices, just a natural story told through the creatures' actions. Ah well. :saddowns:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So did everyone see the new episode of Rick and Morty?
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/streams

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This was a very bland movie. It was aggressively mediocre.

The cowboy T-Rex family was the absolute highlight of the movie. I wish the rest had had even some of that heart and imagination.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ConfusedUs posted:

This was a very bland movie. It was aggressively mediocre.

The cowboy T-Rex family was the absolute highlight of the movie. I wish the rest had had even some of that heart and imagination.

There were so many things in the movie that would've made a good movie individually. A cowboy movie with dinosaurs being probably the best of them. Instead they tried to do a road movie (and I love those kind of movies) and half-assed all of them.

The dinosaurs not really matching the environments design wise didn't bother me, but the above thing drove me nuts.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This is a pretty good ride, though.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

There were so many things in the movie that would've made a good movie individually. A cowboy movie with dinosaurs being probably the best of them. Instead they tried to do a road movie (and I love those kind of movies) and half-assed all of them.

The dinosaurs not really matching the environments design wise didn't bother me, but the above thing drove me nuts.

I kind of wish they'd actually done something with the "hypothetical alternate prehistory" premise instead of just using it as an excuse to have dinosaurs and cavemen coexisting without hot takes about how they're creationists. Like, I'm picturing a scene towards the climax of the movie where the characters are looking up in the sky and one of them gets a weird look in their eye, like a faint impression that they could easily never have existed, and maybe say something to that effect, such that most of the audience doesn't get it but some of them do. Like, they talk about how if things had gone even a little bit differently, they wouldn't be there, or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh yeah the whole "what if the asteroid never killed the dinosaurs?" thing was pointless because you could've left that out and no one would've questioned a caveman existing at the same time. Or mammals also existing. Like it makes that detail seem way more important than it was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i think they just came up with the visual / gag of a bunch of dinosaurs watching the asteroid zoom past and then built a justification around it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah the whole "what if the asteroid never killed the dinosaurs?" thing was pointless because you could've left that out and no one would've questioned a caveman existing at the same time. Or mammals also existing. Like it makes that detail seem way more important than it was.

Ice Age somehow went backwards in time from early humans to dinosaurs to the formation of the solar system and no one minded except for me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I too ache for scientific accuracy in my talking animal movies

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I need to get a good look at an animated creature's ankle before I can be satisfied that it is an actual dinosaur and not merely a large reptile.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I need to get a good look at an animated creature's ankle before I can be satisfied that it is an actual dinosaur and not merely a large reptile.

Are dinosaurs not large reptiles?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waffleman_ posted:

Are dinosaurs not large reptiles?

No

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I know birds are basically dinosaurs, but I thought that was a weird evolution thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I know birds are basically dinosaurs, but I thought that was a weird evolution thing.

That's mostly unrelated. Dinosaurs genuinely have several differences from reptiles.

I joked about ankles, but what's actually the most visible difference is that dinosaurs have legs beneath their bodies (which you see with mammals, such as cows, dogs, etc) while reptiles have legs besides their bodies (see: turtles, crocodiles, lizards, all non-snake reptiles).

:eng101:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Modern systematics tells us that the concept of "reptile" shouldn't exist and we're all stupid for thinking so

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All progressive diapsids welcome their bird cousins to family gatherings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Scales are basically feathers, and you don't have to look much farther than flying fish to recognize this.