Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

persona is great but if the setting and day to day stuff are a turn off for you then there's nothing there that you couldn't get better in a different smt game. alternatively, if you are the kind of person that breaks into hives at the very mention of the word 'anime' then you'll probably be dead before opening the box

smt combat is really cool tho and my favorite of any turn based jrpg I've played (admittedly a short list tho). smt4 for 3ds is worth checking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I'm pretty sure whoever said "play 15 hours" was joking. That said, it's okay to not like a good game. It's just silly to act like it's some mystery why people like it, I guess?

There are good games out there that I've deliberately avoided or just not bothered with beyond the intro because they didn't appeal to me, too. For example, I'll never play Titanfall 2 because I can guarantee that I won't enjoy it.

I didn't say that. I said I couldn't wrap my head around it. I.e. I've tried to enjoy it and failed multiple times.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Tlg is amazing the ending is one of the greatest in game history

Agreed. And made 10x better by actually playing it instead of youtubing it like a fool

Real hurthling! posted:

Souless trash posters out in force

Fools day indeed

:catdrugs: :birddrugs:

veni veni veni posted:

It's ok to dogpile on people for not liking TLG. It's like making fun of someone's racist uncle on Facebook. It has to be done because their opinion is so bad.

I feel sorry for that uncle because there's nobody around to change his poopy diaper

katkillad2 posted:

My experience with TLG, trying to get animal thing to do something for 10 minutes, think that maybe that's not what I'm supposed to do... Walk around for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do. Turns out animal thing was just being lovely and what I was trying to do originally was what I was supposed to be doing.

Yea FUN game.

Maybe don't second guess yourself. Animals see right through the veneer of false confidence.

Renoistic posted:

TLG is pretty cool, but it's definitely a game you only play through once. I enjoyed the puzzles but there are too few of them, and most of the gameplay consists of riding Trico (who you don't control directly).

I could actually kind of agree with this, though I don't think it diminishes the game. Some things are better experienced one-and-done. SOMA comes to mind.

King of Solomon posted:

For example, I'll never play Titanfall 2 because I can guarantee that I won't enjoy it.

:chloe:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 1, 2017

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Not that there's anything wrong with hating children but I have a feeling that the sort of person who does and hates The Last Guardian would have the same reasons behind both.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

First person shooters are extremely boring.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

TF2 was the first fps I enjoyed in 10 years.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Well The Last Guardian used isn't worth poo poo really. Not gonna sit on a Craigslist post for it. As the above poster said it has its downfalls. I only played about four hours and then just YouTubed the ending. I appreciate what they were doing but it's just not my type of game in conjuction with the issues.

Anyways, thought about doing something charitable:

I was thinking maybe we should get a goon chain going? Go down a list, each person gets it for two weeks, no longer, and has to pay to ship it to the next person CONUS. Must have an account >6 months old and actively post

Open to suggestions

I'd be down for this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

*drops a Scorch on this post*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Welcome back, pilot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real talk I actually understand why TLG rubbed some people the wrong way, even if I think it's one of the greatest games ever.

You basically have to be "all in" for it to totally click. The game kind of happens at its own pace which is pretty unusual and I can see why people considered that a flaw, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I think the game is better for it.

Not that it was perfect either. I think it could have used a couple of fail safes to push the story forward if something wasn't clicking. I doubt any of us who played it could say we didn't hit at least a couple of 15+ minute stretches where literally nothing happened even though we knew exactly what to do.

I still think the wild nature of trico was essential to selling him as a believable character and it contributed heavily to the abnormal amount of emotional investment you will feel if you finish the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Whyyy did they get rid of that website?!?! I still want to drop a titan on everything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Play 15 hours then it gets good" is currently the defense for Mass Effect Andromeda, not Persona, by the by

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still remember FF13. "It actually gets pretty good about 30 hours in!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The guy in GameStop said this to me when I bought it. To this day it's my least favourite game I've ever played, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Traded it in a week later.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I gave up on the "pretty good about <X> hours in" with FF13, I sludged through that loving poo poo until you reach the Not-Calm Lands and it was just a giant nexus of poo poo where you go down one of many slightly smaller poo poo paths to fight other things. Luckily I bought Yakuza 3 on the same day as 13 so I had a good game to play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff13 isn't great but it gave us lightning returns, the best final fantasy

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Endorph posted:

It's not even the best game in the 13 trilogy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kind of like Lightning Returns because it's like a quasi-SaGa game but then well an actual SaGa game came out after it and when it gets translated for like PS4 I'll buy it instead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

veni veni veni posted:

but does get good right?

Haha I remeber the posts surrounding that game. Just wait 25-30 hours bro!

I never played it, it did seem alright? At least I kinda dug the music

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Endorph posted:

It's cool but it's no FFX-2...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It never got good, people just latched onto the last area of the game in a weird and desperate way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff13 is okay and has good music, but it's kind of jankily put together and honestly, the part 30 hours in is the worst part, the open world stuff doesnt really work and the way the party splits up is a mess

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TF2 was the first fps I enjoyed in 10 years.

Naw man, dude can't try a game unless he is 100% sure he will enjoy it. If he wasted 30 minutes of his life on TF2 he would be setting humanity back god knows how long.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

Naw man, dude can't try a game unless he is 100% sure he will enjoy it. If he wasted 30 minutes of his life on TF2 he would be setting humanity back god knows how long.

Don't be weird.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

King of Solomon posted:

Don't be weird.

I am not the one with impossible standards.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am not the one with impossible standards.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

King of Solomon posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

quote:

For example, I'll never play Titanfall 2 because I can guarantee that I won't enjoy it.

But whatever floats your boat, I hate anime and ended up enjoying Persona 4 and it sort of broadened my horizons. I am not a fan of gothic horror at all and Bloodborne is arguably my favorite PS4 game. You don't know how something really is unless you are willing to try it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Broaden your horizons, by playing this game where you shoot people in the head and face from a first person perspective

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was modestly enjoying Horizon for the first few hours but just hit a fight with two Sawtooths that forced me to use every weapon I had and I see why people love this game now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Titanfall 2 is a really good game. Probably the best FPS campaign aside from Killzone on the Vita

But if you don't want to play a game that's fine toob

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unlawfulsoup posted:

But whatever floats your boat, I hate anime and ended up enjoying Persona 4 and it sort of broadened my horizons. I am not a fan of gothic horror at all and Bloodborne is arguably my favorite PS4 game. You don't know how something really is unless you are willing to try it.

I'm not unwilling to play games that are outside my wheelhouse. I played through and enjoyed DOOM, for example. I just know that I wouldn't enjoy Titanfall, chill out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol and immediately afterwards I run into a datalog about people getting arrested by "SWATbots" for anti-corporate online rallies, this game is alright

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

homeless snail posted:

Broaden your horizons, by playing this game where you shoot people in the head and face from a first person perspective

Yeah, every first person shooter game is exactly the same. :cheers:

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not unwilling to play games that are outside my wheelhouse. I played through and enjoyed DOOM, for example. I just know that I wouldn't enjoy Titanfall, chill out.

No one is forcing you to do anything, if you say something like that maybe someone responds. The horror. Maybe don't be so sensitive to that if you are going to post on a message board.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, every first person shooter game is exactly the same. :cheers:

they are. hth.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Well that settles it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honest question. It's totally fine to not like any kind of game that doesnt appeal to you, but what about first person shooters puts some of you off? Is the perspective? The shooting?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Endorph posted:

:barf:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

Honest question. It's totally fine to not like any kind of game that doesnt appeal to you, but what about first person shooters puts some of you off? Is the perspective? The shooting?

I wish I knew, honestly. They're just very boring, and I can't really explain why.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

If you only ever play totally original games you must play like one game a decade.

Mario, Doom, Katamari Damacy and Dance Dance Revolution. That's about it. Lol.

All artists steal. All art builds upon what came before it. Just because it isn't the first FPS doesn't mean it can't do creative or original things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

I played a lot more FPS in 90s when they had more fanciful settings and every new title wasn't a modern or near-future milsim. OG Doom, Hexen, Perfect Dark, Quake, etc. I played DOOM and Overwatch last year and liked them both, probably because their settings were a lot more imaginative than what I'd grown accustomed to in calladoodies. There's another aspect that's harder to pin down, but I also feel like FPS games have become more... mean-spirited over the years? I don't know if that's the right way to put it, but something about shooting realistic people with realistic weapons has never sat well with me.