Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The spidertank scene overall was total garbage, let me count the ways...

• The spidertank just showed up in the last scene with no establishment or explanation other than 'remember this from the '95 film? here it is I guess'. They could've done a scene beforehand where Motoko sees the tank do a weapons test, where it shoots up a bunch of test dummies to smithereens, highlighting that the tank is highly dangerous (like how brutal the ED-209 can gently caress up just one guy) and could pose as a major threat to her, adding in some foreshadowing too.
  • The tank could've just shot Kuze square in the face instead of adding extra pacing for Major to attack it again. I may be nagging about typical action/superhero movie clichés, but if Kuze really was a dangerous threat to this futuristic city, wouldn't Cutter just put him down immediately?
  • Motoko opening the tank's hatch was laughably bad. In the original film she used up all her cyborg body strength to open it, and the friction between them was so strong it strained the gently caress out of her limbs, she basically hulked out and destroyed most of her body. Possibly implying that this was her last stand. There was no way the adaptation could recreate that because the imagery and realism would look so absurd, all she did was grow and stressed a few of her muscles and lose her arms.
  • While this isn't that much of a nag, it would've been nice to see a callback to the deep dive, but with Motoko and Kuze this time. There could be an emotional moment where they joined together like a family (because of their backstory), then the helicopter comes and kills Kuze and what's left of him in the deep dive. Then Batou saves Motoko at the last second before her mind was corrupted and destroyed. I guess that would've shown how deep their relationship was.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Junior Jr. posted:

[*]The spidertank just showed up in the last scene with no establishment or explanation other than 'remember this from the '95 film? here it is I guess'. They could've done a scene beforehand where Motoko sees the tank do a weapons test, where it shoots up a bunch of test dummies to smithereens, highlighting that the tank is highly dangerous (like how brutal the ED-209 can gently caress up just one guy) and could pose as a major threat to her, adding in some foreshadowing too.

In the original movie it just kinda showed up too? In this one there's actually a few holograms of spider tanks in the background the first time they visit Hanko Robotics, so there's your foreshadowing. What you're suggesting would be too blatant.

I don't disagree with your other criticism but this one is weird. Of all the things you could criticize from the movie, "not being obvious enough" shouldn't be one of them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Gotta agree with Elman, in the original they try to do something, i can't quite remember, and when they try to do it, whoop, cloaked surprise spider tank loving their poo poo up.

What i find interesting is that they apparently released no advertisement footage of the tank scene.

Also, for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp6FLNJPTLY&t=153s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In 95 it was the American troops retrieving the Puppet Master from Section 9 when the American guy and Section 6 visited it so the cyber CIA having a tank was a little better grounded.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Walked out halfway through. There's nothing redeeming about the film whatsoever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This was loving great. They really captured the aesthetic of the comic , removing and streamlined the story , and the action was awesome.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Echo Chamber posted:

So to recap the whitewashing controversy, now that the movie is out:

- Film began pre-production in an environment where whitewashing in Hollywood (including Paramount) has already been scrutinized. Nonetheless, they pursued Margot Robbie before casting Scarlett Johansson.
- As expected, people took issue with the choice of Scarlett Johansson as the lead role, well before a single frame of the film was shot, but those concerns fell on deaf ears. Constance Wu and Ming-Na weighed in on the controversy, saying they were opposed to yet another whitewashed film.
- It was reported that the studio, after catching some wind of the controversy, considered using CGI (not unlike the technology used in Benjamin Button) to make Scarlett Johansson "look" asian, as if it's somehow supposed to make the casting choice less worse. What's of particular interest is that this was the first report that recognized that theaaaaaåaaaaa! character ScarJo was playing could have been Asian. And how this would have been a tone-deaf use of CGI yellowface in the literal, not metaphorical, sense. Paramount disputed the reports, though Paramount has a record of flat out lying about whitewashing in previous films. Screencrush stuck to their story, sticking with their anonymous source.
- Film is released. Despite being an adaptation of property that was not adapted to live action before, the film didn't even try muddying the waters with the character's origin and ethnicity. (The film could have tried to pretend that the character was never Asian to begin with.) Instead, it's revealed that ScarJo's character is literally an Asian woman's brain planted in ScarJo's robotic body.
- The film and Scarlett Johansson's performance received mixed reception from critics and audiences.

This entire movie was a marketing campaign first, a movie distant second.

I think they reached a conclusion early on that the safest profitable avenue would be to land a marquee lead actress. This actress needed to sell tickets with just her name, unaccompanied, on the posters. She needed to sell even more tickets when people saw her gun-toting figure wrapped in that skinsuit. They were banking on those double-takes: "that is a suit, right?"

So the producers requested a list of all the actresses that horny teenagers and Chinese moviegoers alike will pay $10 see kick rear end in flesh-tone spandex. These actresses needed to generate hype with their name alone.

"White. White. Not Asian. White.

Welp..."

They figured there was no way around a "whitewash" backlash, so they leaned in. They spent all year cribbing from the Milo playbook, baiting the outrage trap incessantly.

Clearly they intend for the tone of the thinkpieces on Bustle, Buzzfeed, HuffPo and Slate do a 180 after they prepare for their final clickbait rebuke by going to see this white supremacist film in all its horror.

The actual movie is Jezebel shlick material, and I don't mean the lesbian scene. I mean things like:

"Oh, her mom is Japanese, it's just that her brain-rapist was a white supremacist who only makes white androids, that makes total sense!"

"Thank God, a helpless woman escapes because of another woman for once, not a man!"

"Yup, verbal consent is important on EULAs (and in the bedroom, of course), what an important moral lesson for our times...snaps for making that summary execution consensual, Aramaki!"

"Wow...Major, Ouliette, Major's mom, look at all these strong female characters! What depth!"

"I love that all of these concepts and themes are vague enough I can attach whatever meaning I want to them! I was so wrong to criticize this movie!"

The part that makes it a travesty, though, is that the entire loving movie was gutted to make room for ScarJo's identity crisis. They left what still looks like the anime scenes at a glance (or, say, in the trailer as a jump cut) but the scenes are now devoid of gravitas.

"That awesome street chase sequence that sets the audience up to like Bato? Most of that's expendable. Major likes Bato, doggies like Bato, we already like Bato, okay? Cut that, we need to make some space for Major's Asian mom.

The two garbagemen who got socially engineered by sentient AI? Now they're mindless robots! That saves time we need for the Major-Doctor sisterhood retreat. We'll let the audience get excited at the garbageman before we turn them into ISISbots though!

Oh, and the great villain with an identity twist? That'd distract from ScarJo's own twist of identity, so we'll skip it. In fact, make the villain a boring military-type -- we gotta keep the focus on Major.

Let's also cut all the questions of artificial consciousness, actually, they're too complex. Also, cut all the refugee and immigration poo poo - yes I'm serious! The movie is about a ghost, Motoko, living in a shell, Major! It's about a Japanese girl who looks like a white girl, no we aren't forcing it, these story beats are right from the source material! We don't need geopolitics, we have the robo-Geishas. Trust me on this.

So anyway, we'll do the big ending, boom, Major wins right? Then she"ll say that she won't let other people define her. See, it's her original memories that define her -- she's nothing until she gets them back. With actions.

So wait, her memories don't define her. Her actions do. Her actions define her by revealing her memories, which don't define her directly, only through her actions. As opposed to some other way memories can influence us besides altering our actions. Okay, a little iffy, but nobody's gonna care. Besides, the rest of this script is airtight.

Wait, why is she staying on as Major? Doesn't she remember her past as an anti-augmentation activist? For that matter, how the gently caress did no one volunteer to be Cyborg Prime, even if it did take 98 tries, and even still, why use known anti-augmentation runaways? Why not stop that practice, at least, after 97 ran away because he remembered he loving hates augmentation?

Why did Dr. Ouelette balk at those "cruel" false memories after she helped kidnap a drifter, rip out that drifter's brain, put it in a shell and wipe it's memory? She sure seems like she was there for more than Attempt #98, too.

What the gently caress reasoning did they even have for making the spider tank smaller? Why did the Prime Minister not jus-

BAAAAAA BADIBAAAAAAA *tshhh*

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 1, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That is a dumb post you just made there. I sure hope you copied it from somewhere instead of typing it out.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Mierenneuker posted:

That is a dumb post you just made there. I sure hope you copied it from somewhere instead of typing it out.

That is a dumb post you just made there. You could have checked my tendency to ramble incoherently via that little "post history" button instead of typing it out.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

So to recap the whitewashing controversy, now that the movie is out:

- Film began pre-production in an environment where whitewashing in Hollywood (including Paramount) has already been scrutinized. Nonetheless, they pursued Margot Robbie before casting Scarlett Johansson.
- As expected, people took issue with the choice of Scarlett Johansson as the lead role, well before a single frame of the film was shot, but those concerns fell on deaf ears. Constance Wu and Ming-Na weighed in on the controversy, saying they were opposed to yet another whitewashed film.
- It was reported that the studio, after catching some wind of the controversy, considered using CGI (not unlike the technology used in Benjamin Button) to make Scarlett Johansson "look" asian, as if it's somehow supposed to make the casting choice less worse. What's of particular interest is that this was the first report that recognized that the character ScarJo was playing could have been Asian. And how this would have been a tone-deaf use of CGI yellowface in the literal, not metaphorical, sense. Paramount disputed the reports, though Paramount has a record of flat out lying about whitewashing in previous films. Screencrush stuck to their story, sticking with their anonymous source.
- Film is released. Despite being an adaptation of property that was not adapted to live action before, the film didn't even try muddying the waters with the character's origin and ethnicity. (The film could have tried to pretend that the character was never Asian to begin with.) Instead, it's revealed that ScarJo's character is literally an Asian woman's brain planted in ScarJo's robotic body.
- The film and Scarlett Johansson's performance received mixed reception from critics and audiences.

and?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Sounds to me they made ScarJo star in the wrong manga adaptation.

That's about the most suitable property in the entire canon of Japanese media to adapt. If there's some sort of patreon or gofundme where I can pay money to prevent the Naruto live-action movie from being made please show me immediately

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Box Office Mojo is reporting a 7.66 million dollar Friday. It got third place, after Boss Baby and Beauty And The Beast.

What were the expectations?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I liked it and thought it had some clever moments.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

If i remember earlier posts correctly, the put in 113mio$ in budget. So probably a lot more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a general formula for production budget/opening weekend target?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I believe $30 million opening weekend, based off Edge Of Tomorrow's opening (since it's an adapted Japanese property with similar themes around the same time of the year). Box Office Mojo is revising their expectations for a $20-$24 million opening. The thing is that Sunday will have a 25-30% drop in business and with the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes dropping, it'll be a struggle to get there. I've read and seen many anecdotes (like Kermode's a few pages back) where the theaters are half-full.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Some of the positive reviews read like downright satire.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/movies/article/Ghost-in-the-Shell-a-serious-look-at-a-11039071.php

quote:

This is a thoughtful movie that’s interesting now and will probably still be interesting in 100 years

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Junior Jr. posted:

• The spidertank just showed up in the last scene with no establishment or explanation other than 'remember this from the '95 film? here it is I guess'. They could've done a scene beforehand where Motoko sees the tank do a weapons test, where it shoots up a bunch of test dummies to smithereens, highlighting that the tank is highly dangerous (like how brutal the ED-209 can gently caress up just one guy) and could pose as a major threat to her, adding in some foreshadowing too.
  • The tank could've just shot Kuze square in the face instead of adding extra pacing for Major to attack it again. I may be nagging about typical action/superhero movie clichés, but if Kuze really was a dangerous threat to this futuristic city, wouldn't Cutter just put him down immediately?
  • Motoko opening the tank's hatch was laughably bad. In the original film she used up all her cyborg body strength to open it, and the friction between them was so strong it strained the gently caress out of her limbs, she basically hulked out and destroyed most of her body. Possibly implying that this was her last stand. There was no way the adaptation could recreate that because the imagery and realism would look so absurd, all she did was grow and stressed a few of her muscles and lose her arms.
  • While this isn't that much of a nag, it would've been nice to see a callback to the deep dive, but with Motoko and Kuze this time. There could be an emotional moment where they joined together like a family (because of their backstory), then the helicopter comes and kills Kuze and what's left of him in the deep dive. Then Batou saves Motoko at the last second before her mind was corrupted and destroyed. I guess that would've shown how deep their relationship was.

I liked how the leader of the company drove the tank like Hugh Jackman in Chappie.

I'm gonna get you robots in my robot! Calm down Mr president we got a guy that can drive the tank!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 1, 2017

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Just saw it. Not a great film by any means but the aesthetics were incredible along with some solid acting. Makoto and Kuze's first meeting was probably the highlight for me. Honestly I would love to see sequels to this just to revisit the world they've created here, truly spectacular design and cool little details throughout.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I saw this yesterday and the more I think about it, the more I liked it. I have, in the past, tried to watch Ghost in the Shell three separate times and each time I fell asleep. This movie kept me interested, and a large part of that is ScarJo's perfomance. Her physicality alone was completely entertaining to watch - the way she moved her body as Major, or in some ways, the way she didn't move her body. For instance, when she's interrogating the garbage man, her body is standing to the side and it's basically just there. She has her head turned fully to the right, her head and brain engaged in this interrogation, but her body isn't. It's a good look into the disconnect she has from her brain and body. When she moved in the interrogation as the garbage man would turn and she'd follow him, the movement of her body was completely out of necessity to keep her head and brain engaged. That's it. There was no other purpose for it. I loved it.

Overall, I found the story a bit predictable but still engaging. Even when I knew the outcome, I still wanted to get there. I was also very pleasantly surprised by Michael Pitt. Huge fan of his and I didn't know he was in this movie.

Pilou Asbæk was really good. He embodied the character completely, from what I can remember of the original movie. I loved his performance enough to look him up in IMDB right as the credits rolled and I will be watching more of the movies he's in to get more of him.

I was happy with this movie and honestly, I went into it expecting to fall asleep like I did with the original. I'd read the reviews, I'd heard the grumbling from the internet since casting was announced and so my expectations were extremely low. I will be watching this one again.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly everything but the writing was really solid. Great performances, likeable characters, great action, absolutely incredible cinematography and visuals. I think the movie is a lot better than it gets credit for, but it's still not all that great.

I really hope it does reasonably well so we can get something like this again with more capable hands writing it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Junior Jr. posted:

The 95 film was basically "Remember this from the Manga?" except written by a possibly suicidal man, and stripped of all but a passing resemblance to the source material. I like it, but lets not pretend the 95 film did not do the same stupid action movie pacing mistakes we like to focus on when we have nothing better to do.

The Spider Tank shows up literally out of thin air in 95. The 2017 movie lets us see the tank on display at Hanka when Major and Batou visit the doctors. We know it exists before it shows up at the end. In the 95 film, the Tank exists essentially in a vacuum, and doesn't even have other similar mecha to compare to because the movie stripped away things like Fuchikomas and armored suits.

The Tank not shooting Kuze is basically the same as the 95Tank not shooting the Major after she roundly failed to open the hatch. The pilot of the 95tank decided that what he needed to do was pick up the major with a convenient manipulator arm and crush her skull while she deadfished, even though it's demonstrated that it STILL had guns to shoot her with (and some sort of rocket/grenade launcher shown off earlier in the scene). Cutter SHOULD have killed both characters immediately just like any villain should in every action movie ever, but it rarely happens and people still act surprised by this for some reason?

I don't know what version of the 2017 movie you saw, but the major ripping open the hatch was practically a shot for shot recreation of the 95 movie. ScarJo even was crouching over the hatch in very similar fashion. Her back muscles ripped apart practically in the exact same way. The camera turning to spot her, basically the same. It was still about the Major using every ounce of cyborg strength she could muster against something that she could not defeat through traditional firepower.

The standout difference for me is that successfully ripping off the hatch was enough to beat the tank, since the hatch came off attached to stuff that looked important. It's pretty clear by the design of the thing that it's essentially a remote piloted drone, and not a thing built to carry people safely through a battle like the 95/Manga tanks were. In 95, the Major accomplishes nothing against the tank beyond disabling one of its guns. She barely forces the hatch up a couple inches before her body fails her.

The biggest sin of the tank battle in 2017 is that they went with the THUD THUD THUD THUD guns that GitS 2.0 crudely forced into the scene, rather than the awesome as gently caress VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT of the original. The second biggest is "TARGET LOCKED" "TARGET DESTROYED".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd give it an 8 out of 10. The script and writing were not up to par but forgivable given the dense material of the original and most audiences wouldn't take it. The art/design and effects were top notch with good direction but cluttered at times. Might have benefited from being easier to follow with a few things to focus on just to appreciate things better but otherwise great feel and bring to life. Acting and performances were solid enough but Scarlet felt like she was halfway there and it's good she's got leads in action movies and I hope it does well. The music and sound were good.

It's solid and worth a watch but naturally could be more complete given time invested. I'd do Robocop - Blade Runner - Ghost

Tachikoma! Would have preferred an environment allowing for a lead Japanese actress but whatever right now as presented its a solid movie.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I liked how bizarrely the Major moved in this. Like just doing normal poo poo like walking looked goofy but when she went to kill someone "No, loving problem". I also liked that this actually had more of a interesting message than the 95 film and how the plot was rather straight forward and not as complicated at the 95 film and the Manga.

The Manga is incredibly dense.

Things I really liked : No real relationship drama , some of the shots were gorgeous , the set design was very similar to the Manga and that style. I liked how the Major became more and more emotional as the film went on. I liked how they kept to a central theme of the film.

Things I didn't like :

I didn't like that they just glossed over the Major being bisexual. I didn't like a lot of the soundtrack. It could have been bloodier.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 1, 2017

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

This movie delivered. Sure the script was weak and lacked emotional punch, but it had neon lights, synth wave, cyborgs and gun fights. I do not regret seeing it on the big screen at all. 7/10

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I've been noticing that the reason why this version was more interesting than the '95 film was because of the action and pacing.

Granted, the original moved slow in a few scenes, although in its defense, they were moments to take in the atmosphere of Neo-Tokyo, taking in the aesthetics if you will. On one hand, it looked like a typical futuristic city like you'd see in Blade Runner, while on the other hand you had other locations like the marketplace and apartments, looking all rough and dirty and pretty modern, as in it could be happening in the present day, just without all the brightly neon lights and 3D holographic imagery looming over it.

Then there's the action scenes which looked pretty like the thermoptic suit water fight, and interesting like the spidertank and opening scene, but they last for about 2 or 3 minutes and that's all we get. In recent movies, like the DC and Marvel films, where there's always action on the screen and it's fast-paced and engaging, 2017 GITS is more likely just following the standard of those films while trying to stay close to the source material. Some posts in this thread and reviews have stated this feels like an origin story, it even follows the same tropes as an origin story.

Although I don't enjoy this film as much as the source material, I can see why it is appealing to others and how it's trying to appeal to mainstream audiences. They have to make it look like the original but not make it feel like the original. It can improve on the pacing and action sequences that the '95 film lacked, and make it follow the same superhero movie structure, but it will forget the philosophy that made it interesting.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 1, 2017

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Just saw it. Loved it. Definitely some story issues until she meets Kuze (motivation feels very weak until that point). Yes it's a little bit too straightforward in exposition, I guess to explain stuff to dummies. Also, it felt like the right choice to see it in IMAX 3D.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Not much connection to the source material except I caught a few episodes of SAC when I was in high school. I liked it. I could have stood for it to be a bit more subtle across the board, and given us a little more leeway to figure out how the world works rather than have everything explained to us, and I'm really not sure what it wants to say, but it looked great.

I enjoyed the guys who played Batou and the Section 9 chief whoever he was.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 2, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This is probably a stupid question, but why does the Major's torso sometimes look like it's covered in vinyl, but sometimes just look like normal people skin? Does she have some kind of spray that she puts on sometimes? Does that tank top she wears around the house project some sort of glamour onto her arms and chest?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

General Dog posted:

I enjoyed the guys who played Batou and the Section 9 chief whoever he was.

That's Takeshi Kitano, who's a freakishly multi-talented dude. Has directed a whole bunch of really enjoyable and weird movies. Look into him. His remake of Zatoichi was excellent.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think the invisibility is from a skin colored jumpsuit she wears. Also, the Section 9 chief was Takeshi Kitano, a pretty famous Japanese actor and yeah, the side characters were all pretty great, though underdeveloped.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I think the invisibility is from a skin colored jumpsuit she wears. Also, the Section 9 chief was Takeshi Kitano, a pretty famous Japanese actor and yeah, the side characters were all pretty great, though underdeveloped.

The best part of the movie is when he takes his badass leather holster with flaming skulls or some poo poo on it out of his desk.

Re: the suit, I get that she's wearing a suit when she goes invisible, but it seems like some of the scenes where she's in the hospital she looks much more synthetic.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

The best part of the movie is when he takes his badass leather holster with flaming skulls or some poo poo on it out of his desk.

Re: the suit, I get that she's wearing a suit when she goes invisible, but it seems like some of the scenes where she's in the hospital she looks much more synthetic.

The only times we see her body in Hanka is when they're doing repairs and the skin layer is absent.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I liked the movie, but I liked Johnny Mnemonic and any other cyberpunk garbage. I don't think it was as good as the 95 anime, but I think it was the best Hollywood could give us. I agree with the other posters saying the city setting and design was pretty cool. I think the one thing that bothered me the most about the movie was the soundtrack. The anime had a really haunting subdued soundtrack that fit well, while this movie just had loud generic Deus Ex souding "this is the dystopian cyber-future" music blaring through it. I was also waiting the entire spider tank fight for Batou to show up with the anti-material sniper rifle and was super bummed out when it didn't happen.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

movie just had loud generic Deus Ex souding

I swear, when the major scans the room before she jumps through the window, I heard Deus Ex music.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I liked the movie quite a bit. I understand the whitewashing complaint but it enhanced this version so it was a positive trait.

I like Johansson's movement in this, less subtle than Ex Machina but helped sell her alien-ness. I liked how they made Pitt look and sound and it also felt like it enhanced things. Their recreations of scenes from the other sources were fun to see overall.

The weak parts were that they didn't really ease into a lot of topics. An opening crawl kind of sucks and I think there was an opportunity to get people comfortable with enhanced humans and then let on that Major was basically no human parts left. The spider tank is entirely left field. Like it feels like it's an obligation rather than something attached to the story.

A think it's a nice cyberpunk movie. Not an out of the park homerun and I don't think it ever could be with that source material. It's so drat anime that you have to work really hard to sell the anime-ness to a live action audience first and try to tell a good story second. They didn't try and sell the anime-ness and just put it out there without foundation or establishment. But I had a good time and the regular viewers I saw it with seemed to like it a lot.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

whatever7 posted:

* In the end she said (I am pretty sure) "My name is Major, I authorize it." without saying her name. That really bothered me.

She's acknowledging that she's no longer Motoko Kusanagi, nor is she the invented Mira Killian, but something new. She's the Major. Where does the newborn go from here?

Mierenneuker posted:

I enjoyed this live action greatest hits collection. I especially like that the chain-smoking researcher/coroner from Innocence made an appearance.
I liked that Batou's dog made an appearance.

I saw it today and really liked it. Great set design and action. I liked that the plot took elements of all the different GITS movies/shows and made something similar but distinct. Batou and Aramaki we're both great.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 2, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like that she identified herself as the Major. It's who she is now.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCyXVEVpKk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosBvDyWgnA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxUoqIrXd9E

Anyone see these Weta Workshop videos about some of the craftsmanship that went into the film?

TBH I definitely realize the film had issues, but it makes me sad that, imo, a disproportionate amount of criticism around Major's casting will cause many people not to experience the beautiful craftsmanship that went into the movie.

Another note... maybe I'm alone, but I didn't mind the side storyline of Batou getting his cyborg eyes. Weirdly, it humanized the character for me and was a very tangible example of how society is integrating with cybertronics in the future.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saw this tonight and thought it was loving incredible. This is really good sci-fi and I thought everyone got fleshed out pretty well. I haven't seen the anime nor do I think you need to. Maybe after to see the origin? Gorgeous movie - what an amazing city! I wonder how Blade Runner 2 is gonna handle this. ScarJo was fantastic as always - she plays these detached characters so well.

I hope it does well. One of the guys walking into the theater before it started said Boss Baby was sold out -- what the hell...? Alec Baldwins Trump doing that?

• Locked thread