Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hot take: Through no fault of their own, trans people essentially are allowed to take steroids to have their hormones match their genders. Competitive people might take extra to get ahead.
And we know they will, because cis people did it and once again have ruined everything.

EDIT: Uhhhh this looks like a bad way to start a page, I also want to add my voice though to the chorus of "this is the opposite of reality, get hosed Lester" even if I do accept that maybe there might be a point here.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

I can't imagine how Ramirez thinks he can get away with not labeling that caricature, but it's meant to be Eric Garcetti, the mayor of Los Angeles. The number is his office phone number.

Seriously thought this was Mitt Romney

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
3 months in I still have her to see a single cartoon that even qualifies for "supports Republicans without being deliberately stupid or hypocriyical". I don't think that awatrd for the Gaybies is going to work.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Hot take: Through no fault of their own, trans people essentially are allowed to take steroids to have their hormones match their genders. Competitive people might take extra to get ahead.
And we know they will, because cis people did it and once again have ruined everything.

EDIT: Uhhhh this looks like a bad way to start a page, I also want to add my voice though to the chorus of "this is the opposite of reality, get hosed Lester" even if I do accept that maybe there might be a point here.

Would you say it's about ethics in transgender athletics

Fulchrum posted:

3 months in I still have her to see a single cartoon that even qualifies for "supports Republicans without being deliberately stupid or hypocriyical". I don't think that awatrd for the Gaybies is going to work.

Deliberately stupid and hypocritical is the President now, show some respect.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Suspect height: 5' 6".
Suspect width: 6".

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trapezium Dave posted:

Suspect height: 5' 6".
Suspect width: 6".

Hey man, tubeworms have to make a living too.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Drawing your political opposition as worms is a powerful image. You don't want to overuse it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Angepain posted:

Just a small correction...

Uh weight classes or something?

My high school's wrestling team was co-ed anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I imagine most idiots like lester don't even consider HRT. They just assume you cut off your dick, get implants, and wear a dress. But never shave, of course.

Interesting thought: I don't think I've ever seen a conservative/transphobic cartoonist acknowledge the existence of trans men.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pants Donkey posted:

I imagine most idiots like lester don't even consider HRT. They just assume you cut off your dick, get implants, and wear a dress. But never shave, of course.

Interesting thought: I don't think I've ever seen a conservative/transphobic cartoonist acknowledge the existence of trans men.

well yeah they don't need to be worried about accidentally being attracted to a trans man

OR DO THEY

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Even cutting off your dick doesn't fit into their work. According to them, it's out on a dress, then spend literally all your time in a public women's restroom.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Pants Donkey posted:

of course not, it's always about gay men, trans wo"men"( who are transvestites in their feeble little minds ) and real hot men who are the most masculine, never about what women do/are/etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Internet Webguy posted:

I just assumed this was supposed to be Michael Flynn until I read the sign then I had no idea who it was supposed to be besides some evil liberal who doesn't want to deport their constituents.
Did Garcetti specifically make a public statement? I know he just got reelected but there's nothing on his Wikipedia page about sanctuary cities but clearly nobody cares enough to update his Wikipedia...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That Lester is seriously vile. What paper would actually run that?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pants Donkey posted:

This isn't just a thing with cartoonists. When have you seen movies or TV do so?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Olympus posted:

This isn't just a thing with cartoonists. When have you seen movies or TV do so?

Didn't two and a half men actually do that? Charlie sheens old girlfriend came back after going through ftm transitioning, and starts dating his mother?

Also I'm sure there's an episode of Golden Girls that has a trans man.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 2, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A few more left-leaning cartoonists have at least done the "Trans men in women's restrooms" bit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Kraken posted:

That Lester is seriously vile. What paper would actually run that?

Presumably the Washington Post, since Lester is a staff artist for what Charlie Pierce calls Fred Hiatt's Home Depot of Bad Ideas.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Didn't two and a half men actually do that? Charlie sheens old girlfriend came back after going through ftm transitioning, and starts dating his mother?

Also I'm sure there's an episode of Golden Girls that has a trans man.

Right, and compare that to the amount of media with trans women.

It's a broader cultural thing. Certainly an implicitly misogynistic cultural thing, but in itself not limited as an impulse to the most vile among us.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Olympus posted:

Right, and compare that to the amount of media with trans women.

It's a broader cultural thing. Certainly an implicitly misogynistic cultural thing, but in itself not limited as an impulse to the most vile among us.

Im not in any way denying the disparity nor the obvious reason why this disparity exists. I'm just saying, examples of ftm characters on tv do exist.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

Straight guys aren't in danger of hitting on them

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Now I'm not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but /r/TheDonald had that "drain the swamp" Garrison cartoon on their front page yesterday without a shred of irony.

Like, I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. I just assumed his stuff was too batshit for anyone.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grimdude posted:

Now I'm not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but /r/TheDonald had that "drain the swamp" Garrison cartoon on their front page yesterday without a shred of irony.

Like, I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. I just assumed his stuff was too batshit for anyone.

Swamp thing one or plughole one?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Fulchrum posted:

Swamp thing one or plughole one?

Swamp thing. It had the little Jeb! turtle near the front of the swamp.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:wow:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What would you say are the quintessential Rall cartoons? The most edgelord, the most ignorant of basic perspective and anatomy, and most utterly incompetent?

Also, whoever wrote up My War with Brian and 1984 - do I have your permission to repost elsewhere?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xander77 posted:

What would you say are the quintessential Rall cartoons? The most edgelord, the most ignorant of basic perspective and anatomy, and most utterly incompetent?
Does the phone & blowjob one count?

E: The Ebert one too I think.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Do we not like Rall in this thread? Sure he's about as subtle as an edgy highschooler but I agree with some of his points, at least.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Do we not like Rall in this thread? Sure he's about as subtle as an edgy highschooler but I agree with some of his points, at least.

He's a miserable contrarian and incompetent as a cartoonist. He immediately abandons his good positions when they becomes mainstream.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Crazycryodude posted:

Sure he's about as subtle as an edgy highschooler but I agree with some of his points, at least.

Not even Ted Rall agrees with his points

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

Forums Superstar and Ghost in the Shell Avatar Enthusiast fool_of_sound laid out the basics, but we can't forget the ever-present narcissism.

• He has claimed that he and one other equally untalented political cartoonist (whose name escapes me at the moment) are the only relevant cartoonists on the planet, and the rest should stop working in order to give him and the other cartoonist more attention.
  • In that vein, he gets really salty whenever another cartoonist is honored for anything.
  • He has an entire comic (mentioned a few posts back) about how much smarter than Ebert he is, and how Ebert could never defeat his argument that "Citizen Kane is boring". He posted this comic as a response to Ebert's death, I believe.
  • His autobiographical comic is essentially "And then this woman walked up to me and was like 'Ted Rall you are so smart and funny and talented and handsome. I want to make a sex on you.' and then we made a sex and she had like a million orgasms and gave me $100 and told me I was the best sexhaver that totally had a sex."
  • His idea of chronicling life in Afghanistan was basically "So I showed up in Afghanistan. I wore the same clothes as the locals and wondered around without a guide. They were all super-impressed with me, Ted Rall, and told me I was the only real journalist in Afghanistan. I know the names of the garments I'm wearing, BTW. It's, like, a super-hard name."
  • He got into a slapfight with Scott Kurtz, and SCOTT MOTHERFUCKING KURTZ came out looking like the calm, rational, well-centered one.
  • Has claimed that he is the voice of his generation, despite all evidence to the contrary.
In summation, when I was spellchecking this post, it recommended that I change the word "highschooler" from the quote of your post to "preschooler", and I don't think that there's a better metaphor for everything Ted Rall is.

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 2, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Don't forget:

Ted Rall, 2016 posted:

HILLARY MORE LIKE HITLERY "DRONE" MURDERPANTSUIT

Ted Rall, 2017 posted:

HOW COULD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC BE SO STUPID AS TO ELECT TRUMP

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Mister Olympus posted:

Don't forget:

Yeah, it goes beyond contrarian, he just always wants to be yelling at liberals for not doing everything exactly the way he thinks they should be doing it, even when he's drawing massively on hindsight, which feeds back into the narcissism in a sad way.

Remember a few pages ago when one of you guys was like "If protests aren't aggressive enough, then go throw a brick through a window, you loving coward"? I forgot to address it at the time, but make no mistake, Ted Rall isn't thinking "You should go protest, while I stay safe in my recliner-throne and watch on TV". He thinks that he IS the only one effectively protesting. Ted Rall honestly believes that his cartoons are more effective than protest, and that he is the only person on earth capable of providing such astounding insights and piping hot takes.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
Don't forget he proudly draw a comic depicting the dubiously biographical chronicle of how he needlessly escalated a fight with a high school bully and tried to murder him several times. That totally happened you guys.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
somebody post the sad bj pic I need it for a project

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Huh, turns out I've never actually seen more than the few strips I agree with.

Ok yeah 5 minutes of Google Images and suddenly I get it.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

Huh, turns out I've never actually seen more than the few strips I agree with.

Ok yeah 5 minutes of Google Images and suddenly I get it.

I was the exact same way. His comics used to get published in my local alt weekly when I was a teenager. I thought he was pretty funny, though not as good as Derf. Then once the internet was more of a thing, and I got to see more of his work, and the personality behind that work, I decided that he was basically a worthless prick.

Oh, and when I said so on some random blog I was starting up (where said post was the only content on the site), he found said post within an hour and made an angry reply. Think about the devotion to googling ones self that the alacrity of that response to such a tiny, insignificant speck requires.

I wish I'd kept it for posterity, but I basically just called him a talentless egomaniac, one of my friends trolled him for a few posts, and then I forgot about it for a while, and eventually wound up deleting the site because I had better things to do with the server space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh ok so any and all forms of science and discovery are evil liberal plots got it.

Like, I don't think that's what he's getting at but it's the only message I can discern.

• Locked thread