Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Here's another antiquated method of execution, popular in the 16th-18th century. It was usually done using cannons:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun

"The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen."
One of my friends who served in Afghanistan gave almost exactly the same description of what happens when a suicide bomber detonates an explosive vest, although with shorter distances. One of the guys in his squad had some serious psychological issues (prior to being in the army and being combat didn't help) and got in trouble when he tried to bring the hand he kept as a souvenir back to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

re: "great" vs "big":

most of this thread wouldn't know a well-formed crumb if it bit them

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

One of my friends who served in Afghanistan gave almost exactly the same description of what happens when a suicide bomber detonates an explosive vest, although with shorter distances. One of the guys in his squad had some serious psychological issues (prior to being in the army and being combat didn't help) and got in trouble when he tried to bring the hand he kept as a souvenir back to the US.

One of my buddy's said that the Georgian military would strap dead Taliban to the front of their humvees. I guess they got away with it for awhile, but were finally told they had to stop. It's like they've taken all the fun out of war.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

If anyone is still confused by the Big British Castle thing, yeah it's in reference to the BBC through a (now old i guess) radio show/podcast.

R.I.P Adam and Joe on six music :(

I guess to make this vaguely more relevant to the topic here is Adam with his hit single, Nutty Room:

https://youtu.be/qKtD8_OyzSc

NLJP has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Apr 2, 2017

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Wasabi the J posted:

Bulls don't have udders

that wasn't about trump's fantasy VP the brazen bull, it was in reference to Robin Gecht's mammary jammary

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It was also how "utterly" isn't spelled "udderly".

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Wasabi the J posted:

It was also how "utterly" isn't spelled "udderly".

:chloe:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my buddy's said that the Georgian military would strap dead Taliban to the front of their humvees. I guess they got away with it for awhile, but were finally told they had to stop. It's like they've taken all the fun out of war.
I had heard it was the Serbians who did that.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Did Serbia even send troops to Afghanistan?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

cloudchamber posted:

Did Serbia even send troops to Afghanistan?
They sent 1,000 combat troops and police to Kandahar.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Interesting. Never heard about that before. Doesn't seem to be much about Serbia contributing forces to the war beyond that one article, though. They're not listed as a participant in Operation Enduring Freedom on Wikipedia, for whatever that's worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participants_in_Operation_Enduring_Freedom

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

I had heard it was the Serbians who did that.

:shrug: Maybe? I wasn't there so I'm just going by his war stories. He also told me that they would hang out with the Italians because they always had booze and that there was a small "prank war" going on between the US and Italy. He said it was basically summer camp with guns and killing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › PYF unnerving article or story: Basically summer camp, with guns and killing

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › PYF unnerving article or story: Basically summer camp, with guns and killing

Seconded. We need a fresh title and this works just fine.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

From the BWM thread in BFC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a8c6_story.html

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poo poo like this makes me physically angry and it's why I barely go into the BWM thread anymore. Places like JG Wentworth and any other annuity/settlement purchasing company exists solely to rip off people. I'm in finance, and have been for a little over 10 years, so I've encountered quite a few people that have just been absolutely flat out lied to about this sort of "buyout." Besides reporting them to the SEC there's typically nothing you can do once you sign over your guaranteed payments for pennies on the dollar, and the SEC doesn't really care because it's all above water and you'll never find the person that actually sold the plan to the client because they churn and burn employees almost every month. So there's not gonna be anyone on the hook for anything.

There was guy named "Rick" that was around in Arizona back in like 2010 or so that hit up like 2 or 3 of my elderly clients for their immediate annuity payments that dipped them below the income they needed to live off. I scrambled for weeks trying to get things fixed for them, including filing elder abuse claims with my firm and calls to the BBB and SEC, but there's just nothing anyone can do if they're competent and signed away their rights to the annuity. I never met the guy, and I hope I never do because I will beat the living poo poo out of him for forcing some of the nicest people I've ever met into a situation where they needed to leave their homes and move in with their family members. I got into finance to help people, and the longer I'm in it the more I realize I'm in the minority.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I am sure this guy has come up before but LordanARTS/John Lordan does a series called BrainScratch, which covers missing people and unexplained deaths etc. Very sober, fairly well researched, sometimes with original info. Episodes are usually 25-35 min. Plenty of episodes. Well worth following up:

E: search for BrainScratch/John Loredan (see below)

He covers a lot of the missing people who have come up itt.

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Apr 3, 2017

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

This is something that I saw on the BrainScratch/John Lordan was the Brandon Lawson case. Ex-drug user (drug dealer??) Brandon Lawson moves to a tiny town in rural Texas to start a new life with his long-time girlfriend and their three children and his brother Kyle. He works in the oil industry and is about to start a new job. In the early hours of 9 August 2013 he runs out of gas on a rural road near his home. He phones his brother to bring a can of gas. When his brother arrives, the truck is at the side of the road, undamaged, out of gas and empty.
In the meantime Brandon has called 911 and made a garbled request for the police. He was apparently with someone else (or close to someone). In another call he says to his girlfriend that he is bleeding. He is in a field and moving fast. Later phone tower pings locate the last ping from his phone 3 miles from the truck across heavy scrubland.
The family immediately start searching but the local law is very slow. Local landowners are not cooperative and the police seem to be deliberately obstructing the search. The fact that Brandon had a record and was not a long-time local meant there was little sympathy for him. Landowners refused to allow search parties. No sign of Brandon and everyone believes he is dead. Local law isn’t interested in the case. Many people think that other individuals were involved in the events.
Possible scenarios: Brandon encountered a drug cartel deal/execution; he was injured and disorientated in a fall and panicked; he encountered a local unofficial militia; he was killed by wildlife; he died in a fall.
Website: http://www.missingbrandonlawson.com/p/case-questions.html
Includes 911 call, transcripts, website link, videos, etc.
First video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQSDIQe9Du8
Second video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryt-Kpvar-o

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Ah, right, there. The forums replacing part of the youtube link (on the assumption it must be a link to a video) was breaking the link to his page in your first post.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If there's anything series like that have cements in my mind is that small town cops are for the most part lazy xenophobic scum and local police should be rotated in from a city because locals can't be trusted to do their job impartially let alone competently.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Ah, right, there. The forums replacing part of the youtube link (on the assumption it must be a link to a video) was breaking the link to his page in your first post.

ggrrrr! Yes, that has happened before. How does one fix/avoid that?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Baronjutter posted:

If there's anything series like that have cements in my mind is that small town cops are for the most part lazy xenophobic scum and local police should be rotated in from a city because locals can't be trusted to do their job impartially let alone competently.

I am laughing at the idea that rotating cops from a different department in a different city would help. Truth is the quality of police departments and individual police is highly variable anywhere you go no matter how small or how large a city or department.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Small town cops sucks because there isn't a whole lot of people trying to be cops so you don't get a good sample or whatever is a better word for that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thanks to The Most Dangerous Equation, the small towns are overwhelmingly likely to fill out the bottom and top of the rankings, for the same reason that the best performing schools are small schools.

A few outlier member cops/students make a big difference to the average, and on top of that, there are far more small towns than there are large cities.

But for cops, I think there’s also a major cultural element.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Going back to Blowing from a gun for a moment...

kanonvandekempen posted:

That doesn't seem that bad tbh, quick, little chance of failure...

Ironically, there is a section on the wiki for "Problems with the method". Not only did they have instances where spectators and soldiers were being grievously wounded by bodily shrapnel or grapeshot, and the scattered remains encouraged wild dogs and birds to scavenge, they had this little number of a story:

"One wretched fellow slipped from the rope by which he was tied to the guns just before the explosion, and his arm was nearly set on fire. While hanging in his agony under the gun, a sergeant applied a pistol to his head; and three times the cap snapped, the man each time wincing from the expected shot. At last a rifle was fired into the back of his head, and the blood poured out of the nose and mouth like water from a briskly handled pump. This was the most horrible sight of all. I have seen death in all its forms, but never anything to equal this man's end."

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

ggrrrr! Yes, that has happened before. How does one fix/avoid that?

The only way I've noticed is to copy the link in two parts to a url tag, because if you paste in the whole youtube bit it will autodetect and video-tag it.

So I'd just snip the whole www up to 'you' and clip out tube.com/user/GeekenDorx/videos separately and put them together in a url tag. It's a bit clumsy, but I don't know if there's a better shortcut. Also note, I don't know how to put in a https://www link without the forums trying to automatically make it a url, either. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The only way I've noticed is to copy the link in two parts to a url tag, because if you paste in the whole youtube bit it will autodetect and video-tag it.

So I'd just snip the whole www up to 'you' and clip out tube.com/user/GeekenDorx/videos separately and put them together in a url tag. It's a bit clumsy, but I don't know if there's a better shortcut. Also note, I don't know how to put in a https://www link without the forums trying to automatically make it a url, either. :v:

If you prepare the URL tag first, and then paste, the forums don’t gently caress with it.

To post URLs without autolinking, un‐check the box next to Automatically parse URLs.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If you prepare the URL tag first, and then paste, the forums don’t gently caress with it.

To post URLs without autolinking, un‐check the box next to Automatically parse URLs.

Unnerving that I notice that box every time I post except when I need to remember it's there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hate that the Awful app doesn't automatically parse mobile youtu.be links though that's exclusively what YouTube links on mobile output.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If anyone knows a better way of entering URL tags than hitting the hotkey for underline and then adding a few characters, I’m all ears.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

For anyone following the Brittanee Drexel disappearance case, bad news. It turns out the 17 y.o. girl was abducted from Myrtle Beach, was held in a town 6o miles south, repeatedly raped by multiple men, shot and her body fed to the alligators. Men charged last week. Couldn't really be worse news. :(

From John Lordan/BrainScratch I learned that Georgia's coroners are voluntary, virtually unpaid, inexpert and that they've been ruling many gunshot deaths as "natural causes". 40 cases last year alone. Apparently because they don't have the skills, expertise and their time is almost unpaid, it is easier to rule a death as natural causes than sitting through lengthy expert testimony. :geno:

Has the case of Jonathan Luna come up?

Baltimore prosecuting attorney (38) who dealt with high profile criminal cases including murder, gang killings, drug busts and organised crime. Has to deliver a plea-deal document by midnight. Leaves his office at 11.38 pm, 3 Dec. 2003. Doesn't take his glasses (which he needs for driving). The plea deal which he was supposedly working on is never received by fax as planned. He doesn't drive home but drove through Delaware, New Jersey and into Pennsylvania. He stops to withdraw cash at an ATM. The official case is that during this time he is alone and stabbing himself with his own penknife. 36 times. While sitting in the back seat of a moving car that apparently he's driving at the time. At around 5.00 a.m. Luna parks at a commercial building in Denver, Pn. Correction: drives almost into a creek and drowns himself in the shallow creek. (One report says he lodged himself under the vehicle.)

Verdict: suicide.

Yeah.

Local law and coroners say homicide, FBI says suicide. Then all sorts of smears come out about Luna: he was on a dating site, he was involved in missing evidence money ($38,000), he had debts, stress at work incl. disciplinary problems, the carpark where he was found was a site for sex meetings (although apparently not). FBI seems to have a go-slow on this and is seen to be dragging its feet, after all, it's a clear suicide. All sorts of evidence against it, including 2 blood types in the vehicle, someone else's fingerprint in the car, the fact Luna must have been in the backseat for a time, suggestions that someone else was doing the driving at one point and some CCTV footage (haven't seen it). A credit card of Luna's is used at a time and place where he couldn't have been according to the timeline. Car is found by a local worker, engine on, doors open, the $200 withdrawn from the ATM was scattered around the interior of the car. Penknife found at the location 2 months after the body was. The car has now gone missing from evidence warehouse.

Clear suicide, right?

The timeline is weird on Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Luna

Loredan has a more detailed one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMXX8Cteoc
He's wrong on at least one point. Penknives are small folding knives which usually DO have locking mechanisms. Whether or not Luna's penknife was locking or not (or if it was even the attacking weapon) I don't know.

Josef K. Sourdust has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Apr 5, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I know this is totally the wrong thread for this, but I can't seem to find a general weird old Internet poo poo thread. Hopefully someone can remember this website I've been trying to remember.

Like 15 years ago there was this website. The whole aesthetic was kinda creepy. You would make an account, and then were presented with 30 or 40 opaque has hell puzzles, I seem to remember there was some audio ones, picture ones, logic ones, just weird poo poo. I remember some puzzle solution having to do the mothman.

There was also a message board attached to the site where you could go and get help with the puzzles.

This is driving me nuts, can someone help or point me toward a more appropriate thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I know this is totally the wrong thread for this, but I can't seem to find a general weird old Internet poo poo thread. Hopefully someone can remember this website I've been trying to remember.

Like 15 years ago there was this website. The whole aesthetic was kinda creepy. You would make an account, and then were presented with 30 or 40 opaque has hell puzzles, I seem to remember there was some audio ones, picture ones, logic ones, just weird poo poo. I remember some puzzle solution having to do the mothman.

There was also a message board attached to the site where you could go and get help with the puzzles.

This is driving me nuts, can someone help or point me toward a more appropriate thread.

There were a few of those, I don't know any specific names anymore, but there were a few ARGs around that time that had similar setups.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.mayhem.net. ???

If you click on the wierd pics it wants to open a pop up to another wierd pic and audio sample repeat infinity

That sited owned when I was younger

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That's not it. I think it was something like "the*something*.com"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm hesitant to search for it now because I'm at work, but maybe thisisnotporn? I remember screwing around a lot with that as a kid, it taught me a lot about looking into the html of the page and stuff.

I remember getting really excited learning that the site was hosted out of a place like ten miles from where I lived. My friends and I wanted to go up there and do what, I dunno (we would have been like eleven) but that was way too far for me at the time (apparently this was before I had a bike).

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

^^^
I think it might be Cicada 3301. Busy at the moment, I'll try and look it up later.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It wasn't 99rooms was it? http://cdn.99rooms.com/99rooms.html

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Nope, figured it out, it was thestone.com. There's an archived version at https://www.scarecrowsfield.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There was a pretty big one that goons worked together on in 2009ish to do. It had the same kind of things, html puzzles and such.
I remember one of the url we got stuck on was thisiskappa.jpg