Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I bet you're the dude that walks into a shrine, sees a massive fuckoff puzzle, and shield bomb jumps to the monk 10 feet away then complains that it was too easy :colbert:

Kidding aside I actually had a lot of fun in that place doing it "legitimately" also I had treasure chest tracking on and they were a bit of a bitch to find even without ancient laser beams raining down on me

I assumed it was supposed to work the way I did it because theres a lot of cool timing/spectacle and it makes you feel like Indiana Jones :colbert:

Also I did every shrine legit. Even the drat marbles one :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm 90 hours in, have 11/12 memories, three beasts, over half the shrines, and there's still stuff that it's like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, this game is amazing. :allears:

By the way, apropos of killing guardians, how do you kill the flying ones? I still can't do that without wasting Ancient Arrows on them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just killed them one at a time with my weapons and sometimes my shield and dashing behind cover get near.. Wasn't that hard :shrug:

The Lobster posted:

By the way, apropos of killing guardians, how do you kill the flying ones? I still can't do that without wasting Ancient Arrows on them.

I "wasted" Ancient Arrows on them because they were the only enemies that it really felt worthwhile to use Ancient Arrows on anyway.
Otherwise, Bomb Arrows? Or just run away, their range isn't actually that good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Lobster posted:

I'm 90 hours in, have 11/12 memories, three beasts, over half the shrines, and there's still stuff that it's like, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, this game is amazing. :allears:

You can drop poo poo on them with Magnesis.

Or ignore them since thet have the attention span of a fly if you step out of their super narrow LOS.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Zore posted:

You can drop poo poo on them with Magnesis.

Or ignore them since thet have the attention span of a fly if you step out of their super narrow LOS.

I have been giving them a wider berth than I should be, it seems.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

They essentially have the exact same weak spots as the ground-based ones. Which is to say, guardian weapons or master sword. Since ancient arrows are literally the only "guardian weapon" that's ranged, they're just a bitch in general and absolutely not worth the ammo (ancient or otherwise) that it takes to knock them out of the sky.

They have weak spots on their engines that you can use to "knock them down" as well, but a combination of "realistic physics" and "they can stay up with 1 propeller" means that once you hit them once they start spinning around their center of axis and make it even more of a pain than it already is.

They also are incapable of "seeing" you outside their cone, and have a really short attention span, so the only time they're remotely a threat is if you're climbing a wall and one spots you. And the solution to that is basically "let go of the wall and you'll almost instantly be too far away for them to continue caring about you".

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

For what it's worth, even when you can consistently parry them the flying machines are still complete bastards if you want to stop and kill them rather than run like a bitch evade them by breaking line of sight for two seconds (Which is a small comfort climbing a tall exposed surface). So after spending the whole game just sneaking around them, I killed the ones on my way through the castle with ancient arrows purely out of spite. Because I just want them dead, and parrying them will often fly right past their wobbly face anyways.

Also, even without the varying timing based on height and distance for everyone saying parries are easier in this game, I find them more inconsistent than harder games. The timing definitely feels tighter to me, even when I'm in the zone and bouncing back lasers 100% of the time.

How often you hear people saying "It's really forgiving timing!" and immediately following it up with "Unless the elevation changes. Or the distance changes. or-" is pretty fascinating, though. Even if it is very true that as the game goes on and you get more tools and experience, guardians of all types lose their credibility.

Yeah flying guardians are the biggest assholes. I hide behind rock after rock and of course they keep floating and uncovering me. I also have spent a lot of time on the outskirts and am spending more time where these things show up so when they do, avoiding 'em means running into another few which just exponentially hurts my chances of walking around.

I practiced parrying a bit today. I still think it's pretty unforgiving but I feel like I got a bit better at it. It's pretty easy to avoid combat in this game when you can run and climb your way out of just about every situation.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah flying guardians are the biggest assholes. I hide behind rock after rock and of course they keep floating and uncovering me.

:psyduck:

My experience with those things can be summed up with the time I explicitly went out of my way to aggro one:

- Hit it with an arrow to get it's attention.
- Parry laser. The Guardian swings from it's own recoil so the laser goes back to where it fired from and misses.
- Parry laser. The Guardian swings from it's own recoil so the laser goes back to where it fired from and misses.
- Parry laser, laser actually hits, knocks the Guardian backwards a little bit.
- Parry laser, laser actually hits, knocks the Guardian backwards a little bit.
- The distance from the knockbacks is sufficient that the Guardian completely forgets where I am and that I exist, returns to it's patrol route.

They're like those derpy little ghost babies from Silent Hill that ping your radio-- the combat music starts, but they're just so incapable of doing anything that you can't help but :3: as they flail around.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I sat down earlier to play a bit -- wanted to maybe grind up some money and materials for the level 3 armor upgrades I just unlocked. But I saw an island just off the coast, and wondered, hey, I wonder if I could get there? I could -- and it turned out to be Eventide Island. That was a fun one, although I did something the very wrong way: it's possible to kill the Hinox by luring it into bombs for a very, very long time.

So yeah. Upgrades tomorrow, maybe.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Shrines.

I think this is where Nintendo can play around with the BotW structure the most. I like the idea of the basic premise that beating them is a way to improve Hearts and Stamina, as well as gaining a fast travel waypoint. What I'd change about that though is maybe combine and reduce shrines. Combine four shrines into one, do sixty instead of one hundred and twenty. At the end, either give me an orb I can trade in, or just straight up let me choose a Heart or Stamina. I think it would be interesting to combine the current types of shrines- Trials, Blessings, and Tests. Like, you come across a riddle or challenge, solve it to get inside, over come a logic puzzle, fight a mini boss, overcome a final puzzle and then get your prize. They could play around with that formula as much as they wanted to. I think reducing the number of shrines would also let Nintendo do more to customize them. I wanna see Shrines themed to their regions, with interiors and minibosses reminiscent of the Lost Woods, or Gerudo desert, or wherever. And just for story sake, let all the races of Hyrule build their own shrines, and let me learn about their weirdo faiths from them.

Also here's a random idea: A Goron Cycle. It's a bike with two Gorons for wheels. They do that spinning trick from Majora's Mask when you want to ride your bike around, and chill next to it when you're not riding. Also it runs on rocks, because that's what Goron's eat.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Shrines.

I think this is where Nintendo can play around with the BotW structure the most. I like the idea of the basic premise that beating them is a way to improve Hearts and Stamina, as well as gaining a fast travel waypoint. What I'd change about that though is maybe combine and reduce shrines. Combine four shrines into one, do sixty instead of one hundred and twenty. At the end, either give me an orb I can trade in, or just straight up let me choose a Heart or Stamina. I think it would be interesting to combine the current types of shrines- Trials, Blessings, and Tests. Like, you come across a riddle or challenge, solve it to get inside, over come a logic puzzle, fight a mini boss, overcome a final puzzle and then get your prize. They could play around with that formula as much as they wanted to. I think reducing the number of shrines would also let Nintendo do more to customize them. I wanna see Shrines themed to their regions, with interiors and minibosses reminiscent of the Lost Woods, or Gerudo desert, or wherever. And just for story sake, let all the races of Hyrule build their own shrines, and let me learn about their weirdo faiths from them.

Also here's a random idea: A Goron Cycle. It's a bike with two Gorons for wheels. They do that spinning trick from Majora's Mask when you want to ride your bike around, and chill next to it when you're not riding. Also it runs on rocks, because that's what Goron's eat.

These are interesting ideas. I like shrines being themes to the region. But I think they are all Sheikah religion right now. Also Goron bike sounds badass.

However I want more shrines. Specifically I want 12 more so that you can max both stamina and hearts at the same time. I mentioned this on a Youtube video (about what DLC could add) and got called an "OCD fuckhead." My fault for commenting on Youtube.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

These are interesting ideas. I like shrines being themes to the region. But I think they are all Sheikah religion right now. Also Goron bike sounds badass.

However I want more shrines. Specifically I want 12 more so that you can max both stamina and hearts at the same time. I mentioned this on a Youtube video (about what DLC could add) and got called an "OCD fuckhead." My fault for commenting on Youtube.

Never read youtube comments, and absolutely never make youtube comments. That way lies...well, all of those people on the internet that you never wanted to believe actually exist, but apparently do. :smith:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Never read youtube comments, and absolutely never make youtube comments. That way lies...well, all of those people on the internet that you never wanted to believe actually exist, but apparently do. :smith:

Yes. That's what I was ranting about earlier. Everyone on Youtube apparently believed the April Fool's prank some site put out about making a guardian key to pilot the walking ones. Now all the comments on the LPs I follow are just comments to do that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, toss in more shrines. I'll buy that DLC. I'm fine with Nintendo bolting on cool surpises to BotW for a bit. Especially since I have no idea what they are going to do next with Zelda.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, toss in more shrines. I'll buy that DLC. I'm fine with Nintendo bolting on cool surpises to BotW for a bit. Especially since I have no idea what they are going to do next with Zelda.

Next is Zelda in space.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, I figure with Breath of the Wild released to such acclaim they might try to experiment with the setting.

Literally all their other major franchises do, and we know one of the original visions for Breath of the Wild was futuristic with Link on a motorcycle.

And they've been making tech an increasingly important part of the Zelda mythos, up to this game where we are literally a smartphone powered wizard after last game where our partner was a computer AI.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 2, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

link rides a motorcycle in MK8

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I would be happy if the next "big" 3D Zelda was a sort of Majora's Mask type game that was smaller and more intimate but used this same engine. It took them, what, a year to put out MM? So let's give them two and a half years to to pop out MM 2.0. Same assets but Termina again, or Koholint, or somewhere else we haven't been in a while or are yet to be, or this Hyrule in a vastly different time period.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

No thank you

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I have no loving idea how to do Eventide without at least a full row of hearts. There's probably some trick to the final bit I'm not getting, but gently caress I am frustrated. Since I did it late in the game on my first playthrough I was hoping to do it early this time, but apparently I'm not amazing enough at the game to pull that off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

Just finished it up. I skipped about half of the memories. I'm curious about what I missed. Im guessing there might be more to the ending if you get all of them, but I could be wrong?
You should absolutely go and get all of the memories. The cutscenes for them are the meat of the story, and total over a half hour's time for all of the cutscenes, which surprised me. If you need help finding them, go to stables until you find the painter dude from Kakariko, he provides hints for where to look depending on which stable he's at.

In regards to the ending, I kinda didn't like that the spirits of the King and Champions show up to just stare at them from afar and then gently caress off into nothingness, like just give a little quip like "you did well" or "we leave it to you" or something, as is it felt a little pointless for them to show up at all there.

Zore posted:

Yeah, I figure with Breath of the Wild released to such acclaim they might try to experiment with the setting.

Literally all their other major franchises do, and we know one of the original visions for Breath of the Wild was futuristic with Link on a motorcycle.

And they've been making tech an increasingly important part of the Zelda mythos, up to this game where we are literally a smartphone powered wizard after last game where our partner was a computer AI.
In the ending, Zelda essentially says "let us rebuild Hyrule...no, let's improve upon it!" which to me sounds like they might give a futuristic style a shot in an upcoming game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fortis posted:

I have no loving idea how to do Eventide without at least a full row of hearts. There's probably some trick to the final bit I'm not getting, but gently caress I am frustrated. Since I did it late in the game on my first playthrough I was hoping to do it early this time, but apparently I'm not amazing enough at the game to pull that off.

You don't actually need to fight anything on Eventide. Even the Hinox orb you can rob off him while he's sleeping by gliding down onto him and grabbing it/booking it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lobster posted:

Yes. That's what I was ranting about earlier. Everyone on Youtube apparently believed the April Fool's prank some site put out about making a guardian key to pilot the walking ones. Now all the comments on the LPs I follow are just comments to do that.

Now wait until the t-rex roars 6 times (if it roars a 7th this will not work) and feed Epona to it. This will let you ride the t-rex.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Zore posted:

You don't actually need to fight anything on Eventide. Even the Hinox orb you can rob off him while he's sleeping by gliding down onto him and grabbing it/booking it.

poo poo.

I was trying to shoot it off with an arrow.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Fortis posted:

If you don't have the dungeon abilities, especially Mipha for a freebie gently caress up, the island is littered with Hearty Durians. Cook them one at a time for a food that restores full hearts plus... four? yellow ones I think.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bruceski posted:

Now wait until the t-rex roars 6 times (if it roars a 7th this will not work) and feed Epona to it. This will let you ride the t-rex.

This made me laugh because there is a T-rex in that Yooka-Laylee rap that came out for April Fool's as well. So I'm picturing that low-res orange T-rex in BotW now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zore posted:

Probably. Remember, Nintendo took a ten year break from Hyrule in their main Zelda line after Ocarina.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lobster posted:

This made me laugh because there is a T-rex in that Yooka-Laylee rap that came out for April Fool's as well. So I'm picturing that low-res orange T-rex in BotW now.

It's from the early days of the internet. There was a site dedicated to all the rumors of ways to get a full triforce in Ocarina of Time, and some guy sent in this masterful parody of how to replace Epona with a t-rex and get the triforce and some other stuff. Complete with picture "evidence".

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bruceski posted:

It's from the early days of the internet. There was a site dedicated to all the rumors of ways to get a full triforce in Ocarina of Time, and some guy sent in this masterful parody of how to replace Epona with a t-rex and get the triforce and some other stuff. Complete with picture "evidence".

Oh man. That sounds amazing. I didn't have remotely decent internet until 2006, though I was online as early as '98. I missed a lot of cool stuff simply because I was only on a few hours a week back then. Now I basically inhabit the internet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zore posted:

This reminds me just how much I appreciate the fact gliding is technically the most stealthy action in the entire game.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Captain Invictus posted:

In regards to the ending, I kinda didn't like that the spirits of the King and Champions show up to just stare at them from afar and then gently caress off into nothingness, like just give a little quip like "you did well" or "we leave it to you" or something, as is it felt a little pointless for them to show up at all there.

I watched a speedrun after I beat the game and I found this part very funny mainly because Link is still in his amnesiac state and has no idea who the gently caress these random people are. Also the fact that they should still be trapped within their Divine Beasts :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be completely honest I couldn't have cared less about the story. It was serviceable enough to keep the wheels spinning but I didn't really care about what was going on at any point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

canoshiz posted:

I watched a speedrun after I beat the game and I found this part very funny mainly because Link is still in his amnesiac state and has no idea who the gently caress these random people are. Also the fact that they should still be trapped within their Divine Beasts :psyduck:

Sounds bugged, actually-- I beat Ganon once before and once after all the Divine beasts and that was the "extra scene" for getting all the memories and poo poo. I still got the sequence with Zelda without all the divine beasts + memories.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like shrines exactly the way they are. I can only play in little spurts and "saving" shrines for later meant I could always pick up the game when I had 20 minutes to spare and knock out a couple shrines.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

nachos posted:

I like shrines exactly the way they are. I can only play in little spurts and "saving" shrines for later meant I could always pick up the game when I had 20 minutes to spare and knock out a couple shrines.

Oh yeah, there's nothing really wrong with them, and their design is pretty important. They're not meant to keep you from the overworld for long. Just a quick fight or brain teaser and you're back out chasing horses or making catapults. I'd still like to see them blend in to their regions at least, or have different thematic interiors. Goron sages, yo!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Where is the gullwing? I want to fly a bird.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So is the house that link buys in Hateno actually his old house? I don't think they straight up say it is but thats kind of what I read into it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

To be completely honest I couldn't have cared less about the story. It was serviceable enough to keep the wheels spinning but I didn't really care about what was going on at any point.

To be fair, you skipped half of it.

But the story definitely isn't the main draw here. I thought it was interesting enough, especially once I had all the memories and could see them in order, but I also think the story in this is most interesting in broad strokes. The details aren't particularly interesting, but the big picture is pretty great. It's unique to have a Zelda story where the equivalent of the classic Zelda narrative already happened and failed, for example, and the setting concept--with the Guardians and Sheikah magitech--is great, too. I also like this version of Zelda, though the limits they placed on themselves with the memory cutscene structure does mean she doesn't get to have quite as much depth as she could.

mabels big day posted:

So is the house that link buys in Hateno actually his old house? I don't think they straight up say it is but thats kind of what I read into it.

It's just speculation but that's the impression I got, too. They do mention that the house's last inhabitant went to the castle to serve the royal family, and that could only have been more than 100 years ago. Combine that with Link's insistence on buying it (the insistent wording of the "I'll buy it!" dialog choices) and I think it makes sense that it used to be his house.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Got all 120 shrines, just farming dragon parts (ugh), and star fragments (UGH). I noticed I never did the side quest for the giant sword photo. I got the sand shoes from the 1st part of the quest but Bozai is just hanging outside the tent, not offering the part where I get the snow shoes for good. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boosh! posted:

Got all 120 shrines, just farming dragon parts (ugh), and star fragments (UGH). I noticed I never did the side quest for the giant sword photo. I got the sand shoes from the 1st part of the quest but Bozai is just hanging outside the tent, not offering the part where I get the snow shoes for good. Any ideas?

Are you talking to him as a girl