Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Then DS3 comes along and says gently caress all about the DS2 protagonist so all that goes out the window. That's one of the reasons I hate this last DLC. They didn't even give us a hint about what happended with the DS2 protagonist and it annoys me. I didn't expect some massive lore bombs but anything, just the slightest hint about you having done something, would of been enough. But there's nothing. For your efforts for both the first and second game to be totally pointless sours me.

I still like the idea that Wolnir is a stand-in for the DS2 protagonist. Dude got his crowns, hosed off to go be a king and spent the rest of his days terrified of the abyss after dealing with those shards of manus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been reading through some of the NPC quests as best as I can without spoiling, but god drat, its so easy to lock quests out because you defeated a boss. I think I've prematurely ended Sirris' and Andri's quests.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Node posted:

I've been reading through some of the NPC quests as best as I can without spoiling, but god drat, its so easy to lock quests out because you defeated a boss. I think I've prematurely ended Sirris' and Andri's quests.

Yup, the frustrating thing about Anri is that you can ruin both her quest lines fairly easy just by moving a tiny bit ahead without checking back at the right time.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

I love co-op, it's one of my favorite parts of the game.

ah, the part where you invade and ruin people

this is why I like Spear of the Church most of all :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fly Molo posted:

Lol, Dark Souls 2 doesn't address what happened to the DS1 protagonist, so why would the next game? That poo poo's boring, move on.

It does though. DS2 establishes that the process of linking the fire is part of a bigger cycle. In DS1 you were acting under the impression that your actions were unique. In DS2 you discover that the quest to kindle the first flame has been repeated countless times. This tells you that your actions in DS1 were just part of a much larger picture, and the point of DS2 is that your character is trying to find a way to escape that cycle.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

I've started watching blind playthroughs of the DLC and I understand why so many people are pissed at the angels now:

I don't think I've seen a single person use cover :cripes:

Everyone just runs through and is baffled by how fast they die, then they do it again. And again. And again. I agree that Fromsoft should've made it clearer that the lasers have a "start-up time" before they get super deadly and that you reset it by going into cover, but god drat people.

e: what gets me about this type of thing is "how little faith do you have in the developer?" If something looks to be impossible or at least nearly impossible and/or finicky, completely random, one-hit kill, etc. perhaps its time to step back and look at what you're doing and whether it's what the devs actually intended? Perhaps you're trying to push a square peg through a round hole, completely ignoring the round peg right next to you?

This poo poo kills me, in games and life. I don't understand how people can have so little awareness that the thing they are interacting with was made by someone who wanted that thing to fulfill it's purpose. It's extremely aggravating. All you have to do is think for two seconds!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Your Computer posted:

e: what gets me about this type of thing is "how little faith do you have in the developer?" If something looks to be impossible or at least nearly impossible and/or finicky, completely random, one-hit kill, etc. perhaps its time to step back and look at what you're doing and whether it's what the devs actually intended? Perhaps you're trying to push a square peg through a round hole, completely ignoring the round peg right next to you?

End-users are almost always morons, but I think the angels (and several other aspects of Ringed City) also constitute a failure on the developers' part to properly teach new mechanics to the player. This is something Souls is usually really good at, but after smacking my head against that section for several hours I finished it without ever realizing that the angels had heatup/cooldown cycles and constituted a quasi-stealth segment. My expectation based on the rest of the game was for them to act in a binary fashion: either they hadn't seen me, and would run around in a patrol cycle, or they had seen me, and they would shoot at me until I was dead. Hiding to make them lose interest makes logical sense, but it contradicts how Souls has taught me enemies behave.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay two questions. They are real simple and should be SUPER EASY to answer.

1) How do I get competent at pvp? I like to play as a heavy armor/weapons kinda guy, which doesn't seem to work since everybody is lunging forward with (what I assume is) an estoc.

2) How do I get good at parrying? I've played 400 hours, each, of DS1 and 2 and I'm always pissed off that I never got the hang of parrying and I think its time I learned how. I can't reliably parry a hollow.

Node fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Parrying in DS3 is largely not a good idea, and outside of a few specific instances (bosses, mainly) I wouldn't recommend it. Parrying is inherently a risk/reward type thing, but in DS3 the risk is much higher than the reward. Partial parries drain your entire stamina bar (very bad) and deal damage to you, and even if you're successful you would probably do an equal (or larger) amount of damage just R1 spamming.

If you still insist on parrying, use something made for parrying like the Buckler, Target Shield or Parrying Dagger. Press the button right as the attack is about to hit you, that's really all there is to it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Node posted:

1) How do I get competent at pvp? I like to play as a heavy armor/weapons kinda guy, which doesn't seem to work since everybody is lunging forward with (what I assume is) an estoc.

2) How do I get good at parrying? I've played 400 hours, each, of DS1 and 2 and I'm always pissed off that I never got the hang of parrying and I think its time I learned how. I can't reliably parry a hollow.

1) If you want a poise build then just go 50 str and whatever vit you feel you need. Two handing greatswords was pretty good in PVP last i checked. Estoc spam is usually beatable by just letting you trade hits with them since they cant poise through attacks and you can. So itll end in them getting one poke in and you two which should be to your advantage unless you let them poke too many times for free.

2) Learn timing? Easiest things to parry are silver knights so i guess try learning to parry them and moving onto other weapons. If you want to get good at PVP its recomended to learn it too since its a counter to R1 spam like from the estoc. Also keep in mind some attacks cant be parried like two handed attacks from larger weapons.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Node posted:

I have been terrible at PVP forever, but I'm having a ton of luck since the latest patch with an armour dude keeping just under 70% burden and rocking the greatsword. 66 strength + 2-handing gives meaty damage, and the moveset gives lots of ways to mess with people: single r1 attacks to bait people close, and then mixing in a second r1 for the ridiculous tracking upswing, rolling r1 spin attacks, rolling r2 for delayed heavy attacks, charged r2s for crazy hyper armour. Plus you can stagger shields really easily and a backstab or shield kick riposte is almost always an instant kill :gibs:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Node posted:

1) Stack poise, wield a heavy weapon, and swing through their piddly stabs. Even if you suck you can just stack the numbers your way and probably come out on top.

2) Parry timing is REALLY tight in DS3. However, even if you suck, there are many attacks you can react-parry by hitting L2 after blocking a certain amount of hits in a chain. For example, you can almost always parry the second swing of an axe if you block the first one. Same with Lothric Knights; go practice blocking the first hit of their combo, then parrying the second immediately after.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you want to learn proper parry timing, watch your stamina bar when you hit L2. The moment at which the stamina is subtracted from your total is when the parry frames begin. It's also much easier to hold a caestus in your off hand, because it has a very fast parry.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah ceastus has some of the faster and better parry times, main disedvantage is it cant do the block and then parry move, but if you get good at parrying it wont matter.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Aawww Lapp just died during my final swing on the demon prince! Is his quest already hosed? Better not be, he's ashen hollow. Just get back up dude!
Edit: uh oh, checked his spot in earthen peak and he left me a sieg brew. Poor dude

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 2, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raptor1033 posted:

Aawww Lapp just died during my final swing on the demon prince! Is his quest already hosed? Better not be, he's ashen hollow. Just get back up dude!
Edit: uh oh, checked his spot in earthen peak and he left me a sieg brew. Poor dude

You don't need to summon any NPCs for any bosses for any of the NPC quests in the game, this is no exception.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You want 66 strength on a largeman build.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had a hard time absorbing ds2's narrative.
The opening cut scene had me treating it like a gaiden story basically a perspective on the curse like on of the ds1 npcs have. They hollow when you complete their quest, because they lose their reason to keep going ironically by succeeding. In ds2 you just keep trudging on with some vague ambition just to keep yourself moving. Stillness is death. Even soul memory might make one anxious about stagnating. The Drangleigh story is window dressing, an excuse to take action keep the blood pumping and feel alive.
That reading doesn't seem to go against the sotfs ending, and it works for Wolnir too who became afraid of the abyss after he ran out of things to conquer.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

You don't need to summon any NPCs for any bosses for any of the NPC quests in the game, this is no exception.

Well there the one with Yuria but I don't know if you'd count that as quest progression

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

The issue in DS3 is a combination of the lengthy action queue and no appropriate warning aesthetic (some kind of glow effect or whatever) for when hyper armor frames are active. More broadly, the DS series has been garbage at being transparent with its Poise/hyper armor mechanics across all three games. It's not like the game's verisimilitude goes out the window if you put a small blue bar underneath an enemy's health bar to show you their current Poise.

Poise worked perfectly fine in DS1 and I don't see why they thought to change it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Does anyone have Yuria's set they'd be willing to part with? I'm thinking that set with the black knight glaive would be premium fashion souls.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Poise worked perfectly fine in DS1 and I don't see why they thought to change it.

They most likely wanted a system that actively rewards the player for actually doing something (committing to attacks) rather than passive status boosts

Personally I prefer this way of thinking

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Okay I figured out how to beat the blender attack on the twin greatswords. Use a weapon that has perseverance as a weapon art. It lets you take way less damage and hit them the whole time they are spinning.

Other option is ring knight spear cause that thing owns. Spears/halberds in general seem to be really good but, I am terrible with them :(.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

The issue in DS3 is a combination of the lengthy action queue and no appropriate warning aesthetic (some kind of glow effect or whatever) for when hyper armor frames are active. More broadly, the DS series has been garbage at being transparent with its Poise/hyper armor mechanics across all three games. It's not like the game's verisimilitude goes out the window if you put a small blue bar underneath an enemy's health bar to show you their current Poise.

The action queue really bugs me. I'm accustomed to mashing the button until the thing I want happens, and then mashing the next button. If I do that here though, I end up rolling twice, or doing some weird attack, or something, and then I take an unnecessary hit. It's taking some getting used to.

Genocyber posted:

Really? I felt DS2 was far and away the most coherent of the series, in that it actually answered a lot of the questions it brought up or at least let players figure out the answers and be reasonably sure (e.g. hollow being the natural state of man, most of the lore stuff relating directly to Vendrick and Aldia's shenanigans or ultimately being there just to show how old the drat world is and how many cycles its gone through, and ultimately ending with saying that you more-or-less need to find your own answer which is something that is a core motif of the series).

Ya imo ds2 is the most straightforward of them all.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 2, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Augus posted:

I still have absolutely no idea what Nashandra's deal was.

"Hey thanks for killing all their guys and stealing their power, now bend over and let me reap your taint and take that power for myself."

Also I personally took the DS2's protagonist's success at beating the curse as what initially caused the creation of the unkindled. Poor Aldia ends up not making it, though, apparently.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

"Hey thanks for killing all their guys and stealing their power, now bend over and let me reap your taint and take that power for myself."

Also I personally took the DS2's protagonist's success at beating the curse as what initially caused the creation of the unkindled. Poor Aldia ends up not making it, though, apparently.

I don't really consider DS2 to have beaten the curse. The crowns make you immune to hollowing, yeah, but the curse is more than that. It's the whole world decaying into darkness. It's like living in Shangri-la, yeah you live for lke 500 years or something and it's really nice there, but you can never leave, and the rest of the world leaves you behind.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Internet Kraken posted:

It does though. DS2 establishes that the process of linking the fire is part of a bigger cycle. In DS1 you were acting under the impression that your actions were unique. In DS2 you discover that the quest to kindle the first flame has been repeated countless times. This tells you that your actions in DS1 were just part of a much larger picture, and the point of DS2 is that your character is trying to find a way to escape that cycle.

I always took a its as a the Dark Souls 1 protagonists WAS unique, most one had done what you do since Gwyn.

It's later, as the world moves on, that others emulate your quest in order to keep the current Age going, that the repeated cycles appear.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WaltherFeng posted:

They most likely wanted a system that actively rewards the player for actually doing something (committing to attacks) rather than passive status boosts

Personally I prefer this way of thinking

I think I preferred it when attacks had a point where they were vulnerable to be cancelled and you either had to hit at that point or else dodge the attack; now you have guys in heavy armor who stagger at every hit, but when they start spinning their swords around they become invincible. It's weird, and it doesn't fit with previously established mechanics.

If they wanted something that rewards the player for actually doing something, they already did that, it was called Bloodborne.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AttackBacon posted:

This poo poo kills me, in games and life. I don't understand how people can have so little awareness that the thing they are interacting with was made by someone who wanted that thing to fulfill it's purpose. It's extremely aggravating. All you have to do is think for two seconds!

except there's no indication of where the gently caress to go for that second angels host. knowing to jump off a cliff to that root, which is only viewable from a spot under partial cover, is nuts. so I was running around the swamp in circles trying to figure out the host solution and never went past that sorceress for an hour. it was super frustrating

the angels and the archers were easily the hardest part of the game. granted I'm on ng+1 and I wonder how much that effected stuff. but the archers- even when I got to the giant, he'd still summon more archers every time. I guess it was bad luck/timing but I had no way to know that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Guys, Miyazaki just mailed me this image

"And a fine Dark Soul to you all!"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I always took a its as a the Dark Souls 1 protagonists WAS unique, most one had done what you do since Gwyn.

It's later, as the world moves on, that others emulate your quest in order to keep the current Age going, that the repeated cycles appear.

Only unique insofar as you actually succeed. The part about you being the "chosen" is pure BS though, as Frampt sort of unintentionally reveals when you ring the bells. You're just one of god knows how many undead have been "chosen" and thrown into the meatgrinder. For all we know they might've been throwing undead at this problem for literal ages until you come along and finally succeed. :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Chosen Ash isn't even actually respected. Eygon basically mocks you for thinking you're any better than any other faceless Undead.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You can get to the second angel host by completing the swamp section and dropping down from the bonfire, too.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Chosen Ash isn't even actually respected. Eygon basically mocks you for thinking you're any better than any other faceless Undead.

Well screw eygon. Who the heck is he to be judging me?!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Well screw eygon. Who the heck is he to be judging me?!

Really loving cool with a sexy voice and a giant hammer?

I'm talking about his "weapon"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Really loving cool with a sexy voice and a giant hammer?

I'm talking about his "weapon"

You know why they call him the "Moaning Knight" :pervert:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Eygon is cool, he's got great armor, and a cool weapon and shield. Plus he's from Carim and they just love judging folks.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Johnny Joestar posted:

brightstone cove was one of the few general areas i actually liked in ds2, but mostly because it made me think that it was something that would have been in demons souls

which doesn't say too much about the game it's in, but, hey

if dark souls 2 could have been labeled "demon's souls 2" and then there were only 2 dark souls games, people would be a lot happier instead of all the confused expectations imo

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

except there's no indication of where the gently caress to go for that second angels host. knowing to jump off a cliff to that root, which is only viewable from a spot under partial cover, is nuts. so I was running around the swamp in circles trying to figure out the host solution and never went past that sorceress for an hour. it was super frustrating

That's just a shortcut, you're supposed to kill the second angel by following the root down after getting past the third angel before you drop down to the bonfire.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Minrad posted:

if dark souls 2 could have been labeled "demon's souls 2" and then there were only 2 dark souls games, people would be a lot happier instead of all the confused expectations imo

It would have been pretty insulting to Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It would have been pretty insulting to Demon's Souls.

Why, because Dark Souls 2 is the better game and sequel to both series in this case? :smug: