Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

LordAba posted:

Don't know about space marine, but they have that tyranid one.

If they made the Party Nid shirt again I might Give GW Money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Damnit Avenging Dentist, stop posting stuff about Dark Age. I already have a big enough miniature shame pile!

...but holy poo poo do I want that L1ghtbr1nger model...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A company sells pillows and clocks I'll post em when i get past th Vietnamese border

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Avenging Dentist posted:

Let's not forget that Total Warhammer did well enough to already get a sequel.

That's less a sequel than it is a nakedly cynical backstreet mugging by the people who tried to get away with locking Chaos behind pre-orders.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I mean

yeah. In the sense that the company is making money for its investors, which is its fundamental purpose and legal obligation to try to do.

I think the company could be worth ten times this if it were run by actual competent businesspeople, but this is not the steep ramp down into oblivion that death thread regulars were betting on.

From what I can tell they're still doing the "remain profitable by squeezing costs no matter what it means" dance. That strategy can't go on forever. They've had a huge sales uptick but I feel like they'll go back to cutting as its the only mechanism they understand.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Hastings confirmed the mega Marines. The picture might not have been true but the rumor is.

The dude has been wrong before and I'm comfortable making a bet on GW not replacing the army that makes up more than 50% of 40k sales. Space Marines aren't Bretonnians.

TTerrible posted:

From what I can tell they're still doing the "remain profitable by squeezing costs no matter what it means" dance. That strategy can't go on forever. They've had a huge sales uptick but I feel like they'll go back to cutting as its the only mechanism they understand.

Where else can they possibly cut costs though, outside of closing their stores whole-hog? I think a lot of their current uptick has to do with a strong strategy of creating good-value bundles. 8th is gonna be real interesting in terms of its impact on sales.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Where else can they possibly cut costs though, outside of closing their stores whole-hog? I think a lot of their current uptick has to do with a strong strategy of creating good-value bundles. 8th is gonna be real interesting in terms of its impact on sales.

I've no idea. They've locked themselves into a cycle of never dropping prices and never doing straight up sales. I've heard word that the start collecting boxes and the less well developed "boxed games" like Stormcloud Attack and the double Knight game were created purely to do low price miniature bundles without breaking that rule.

After AoS, however bad or good 8th is I think it'll sell like crazy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

The dude has been wrong before and I'm comfortable making a bet on GW not replacing the army that makes up more than 50% of 40k sales. Space Marines aren't Bretonnians.

Yeah, but replacing fantasy historical-esque human knights with golden armoured supermen that share nothing at all is not the same as replacement-by-stealth of space marines by creating new, but very similar, super special space marines, that functionally and thematically still work with the old ones.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gas this poo poo heap

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Also, cutting costs isn't a company's only option for increasing profit. They could increase revenue. And speaking of, GW did learn some good business practices over the last couple of years. They're far more likely to license out their properties, alive or dead, and a decent chunk of their revenue comes from that these days. It's not like squeezing blood from stones is the only approach to a successful business.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think enough people will build complete marine armies with these new models and have them count as normal marines if they can't make a complete army with the marines 2.0, that people will look at their now tiny marines and think "I wanna do that as well". GW might not say this aloud, but I bet that's their plan, to have all marine players exchange their old marine models for the new ones.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think a lot of their current uptick has to do with a strong strategy of creating good-value bundles. 8th is gonna be real interesting in terms of its impact on sales.

I think AoS increased sales because the people who left didn't buy that much to begin with and GW got a lot of new players by providing a simpler game without the need to build and paint literally 100 models. Time will tell if it's a sustainable strategy though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Not a viking posted:

I think AoS increased sales because the people who left didn't buy that much to begin with and GW got a lot of new players by providing a simpler game without the need to build and paint literally 100 models. Time will tell if it's a sustainable strategy though.

The thing to remember though is that these guys weren't not spending money on GW because they were simply done buying models or armies. They weren't spending money because their armies were under supported and 8th edition was a mess of a game. These are the same people who went on to support all the Mantic Kickstarters or to chase item cards in X-Wing or to buy the Oldworld video games or to spend a billion dollars on Kingdom Death or to create an internet fan edit of Warhammer and to support all the small time miniatures companies making models for it or to etc, etc.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pillows for you nerds to spunk on http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/wargames-miniatures/warhammer-40-000-merchandise

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And not a single xenos/not-space marines item in sight. And they wonder why people are getting sick of their poo poo.

Edit: Also, wizards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 2, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing to remember though is that these guys weren't not spending money on GW because they were simply done buying models or armies. They weren't spending money because their armies were under supported and 8th edition was a mess of a game. These are the same people who went on to support all the Mantic Kickstarters or to chase item cards in X-Wing or to buy the Oldworld video games or to spend a billion dollars on Kingdom Death or to create an internet fan edit of Warhammer and to support all the small time miniatures companies making models for it or to etc, etc.

If Age of Sigmar didn't happen I would still be playing Fantasy and buying a woodelf army. Instead I'm converting my Lizardmen army into a Forces of Nature army for Kings of War, along with buying the Mantic Niads.
Age of Sigmar means I'm never buying another GW army. I'll keep my Tyranids and Sisters (and Emp Child for 30k), but I was starting a mechanicus/necron army that I'm going to dump soon.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Pierzak posted:

Behold, the reason to play Infinity:

I recognize way too many of those butts.

Should I be worried deaththread?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

adhuin posted:

Swiggity swooty

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

I want to sit the person who has to highlight all those butts down and hold an intervention.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
The butts really highlight themselves

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's less a sequel than it is a nakedly cynical backstreet mugging by the people who tried to get away with locking Chaos behind pre-orders.

Hot drat those are some bad and hilariously misinformed opinions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They're cynical fucks who release unforgivably buggy games for premium prices.

Don't give Sega money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The total war warhammer game was advertised from the get-go as being a series of three games, and it's been nicely playable from day 1.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Don't give Sega money.

Total War Center is three doors down friendo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAbaddon posted:

Total War Center is three doors down friendo.

I thought this thread was for talking about poo poo companies guess we were wrong.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ijyt posted:

I thought this thread was for talking about poo poo companies guess we were wrong.

It is for talking about poo poo companies, talking poo poo about good to mediocre companies and flying into a rage about historically inaccurate sandals is what Total War Center is for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
gently caress am I going to have to give GW money so I can get a second Bull Centaur for my Chaos Dwarves?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Atlas Hugged posted:

gently caress am I going to have to give GW money so I can get a second Bull Centaur for my Chaos Dwarves?

You don't have to, but you probably will

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
you don't have to do anything you don't want to do, atlas

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

*shrugs*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've got this old Renegade Ogryn holding a DKOK soldier. I've drilled the hole into its arm and shoulder and finally got some superglue and wire cutters but I can't find any paperclips to attach them. I forgot how much effort building models was compared to just picking up a brush or turning on the compressor and painting them. :effort:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

A truly existential problem.

I certainly don't need a whole team, just the one bull. Any alternatives?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

A truly existential problem.

I certainly don't need a whole team, just the one bull. Any alternatives?

Greebo and Meiko miniatures do decent enough bull centaurs (in a similiar style to the GW chaos dwarf look) gaspez and willy miniatures do bull centaurs as well but they're not the stupid hat kind.

I'm going to be getting 2 from GW unless they're priced stupidly*, since I already have the rest of a chaos dwarf team from ebay.

*stupidly for GW.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Games workshop is less bad than last year but they're still bad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Don't give Sega money.
Don't you still play 40k? I have some bad news for you son. You are paying a premium price for an unforgivably buggy game if yes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Terrible Opinions posted:

Don't you still play 40k? I have some bad news for you son. You are paying a premium price for an unforgivably buggy game if yes.

I don't know... GORKAMORKA seems to play just fine.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So onto Shogun 2.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-bills-for-crash-the-cat

I resisted gofundme's demands to link to facebook: even though every one of them said it was just to get my photo, the fine print says it's actually to scrape up and spam all of my contacts and store other facebook info etc. There is no "just upload a photo of me" option that I can find, it's hoover up my Facebook or nothing.

If anyone wants to verify that I'm who I say I am or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at my user name at gmail.com, I can provide that. Please don't doxx me.

We've decided to call the cat Crash.

They kept him overnight, so I'll be bringing him home in a couple hours. I expect to be able to post some good photos of a cat with a shaved jawline and visible surgical wiring or something, I don't really know what to expect exactly.

Thanks everyone who has offered to donate, and I apologize to those of you who are irritated by injured cat rescue operations in the GW death thread. You can go back to posting your ironic reposts or whatnot.

Way to go goons! Here's hoping you find a good home for Crash

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TWLM just beat me to it but, yup, thanks to goons, and friends and family on Facebook, we blasted past our funding goal today. Less than three days and people have fully covered Crash the cat's medical expenses. I honestly thought maybe we'd raise $200.

The donation that put us past our goal today was a $200 donation from a goon from this thread. I really don't know how to express how touched we are. We're in a position now where we won't have to make a hard decision about cutting off medical support due to the costs. Crash might make it or he might not... but if he doesn't make it, it won't be because we had to draw a line and say "no, we can't afford any more treatment."

Please go on about your business, and remember GW is bad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
stay safe kitty :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Amazing news! I'm glad to hear it.

• Locked thread