Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Shepherd dying has never stopped him before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone have opinions on favorite weapons? The kett shotgun that fires a ball of plasma with 800 damage is pretty powerful, and a black widow V sniper rifle is pure tits. Some of the kett snipers that fire a single round seem too hard to use functionally.

I haven't tried any remnant ones.

There's a sword in the Asari ark that is 538 something damage and makes you phase invisible when you swing it. This sword plus armor with high meelee damage (the hyperguardian armor) plus charge meelee boosts is just wrecking ball samauri madness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I don't get is why every planet can only ever have one landing point when you're accessing it from scanning map. Just let me land at a point near where I want to actually go, dammit. Not like there didn't used to be a different landing point on Elaaden. Or put a point in the badlands on Kadara to save you going through a second loading screen to get there.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 2, 2017

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So did the Initiative keep all their supplies in stasis as well or are all these 600 year old guns, jetpacks and ships just really well made?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

So did the Initiative keep all their supplies in stasis as well or are all these 600 year old guns, jetpacks and ships just really well made?

Maybe they store poo poo in silos without atmosphere. In the void of space weapons are not going to rust.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone have opinions on favorite weapons? The kett shotgun that fires a ball of plasma with 800 damage is pretty powerful, and a black widow V sniper rifle is pure tits. Some of the kett snipers that fire a single round seem too hard to use functionally.

There's a sword in the Asari ark that is 538 something damage and makes you phase invisible when you swing it. This sword plus armor with high meelee damage (the hyperguardian armor) plus charge meelee boosts is just wrecking ball samauri madness.

piranha and carfalon and maybe an smg

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Is N7 like a real world thing? The only time I remember it being anything more than a logo on armour in the game was in ME3 when James said "oh my God I've been invited to join the legendary N7!" and I wondered if I was supposed to know what N7 was the whole time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

Is N7 like a real world thing? The only time I remember it being anything more than a logo on armour in the game was in ME3 when James said "oh my God I've been invited to join the legendary N7!" and I wondered if I was supposed to know what N7 was the whole time

It is in-game. Systems Alliance soldiers all have designations of a letter, (which denotes their specialization) and a number from 1 to 8, which denotes their rating (You can see C8 on one of the other armor suits which means they're a top-level combat grunt.). However the N rating is a special one. Soldiers get to go into a special program at a secret site, and come away with an N1 rating if they complete it. They can't display it like other ratings, but they have it. After that they can go back and complete other training programs for N2-6 ratings, and if they complete all those then they get an N7 rating. That's the only one they are allowed to wear on combat armor, and it means you are King loving Badass of All Mankind.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 2, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Vanderdeath posted:

The Milky Way has aeons of histories and all of the baggage that brings. Is it so hard to believe that ~100,000 people would sign up for the chance of starting their own society in a stellar frontier, especially in a setting nearing post-scarcity?

From the perspective of the founder of the AI the Milky Way only has decades of history.

Arglebargle III posted:

When you think about it for half a second you realize Fojar38 is an idiot.

Wow, you're pretty slow.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pitiful organic. A synthetic mind could calculate that Fojar38 is an idiot 400 trillion times in half a second

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You know what was a really dumb part of the story? 'Actually the reapers were right all along, but thankfully your Dad knew one weird trick to make sure AI wouldn't rebel!'

Besides, Sam only dies if he kills you. But everyone in the Andromeda initiative uses him. He could wipe out all other sentients and keep you in stasis and he'd be fine.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hurricane with seeker augment has been my favorite go to. In open air you point it in their general direction while zipping around and then they die. In cover, you point it just to the side and the rounds curve in and then they die. I use Singularity a lot to control the battlefield, and the Hurricane strips their shields, then they are floating in space and then they die. The only thing it's bad at is armor.

I need to start experimenting with the other augments more. Haven't turned anything into a sticky grenade launcher yet.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is in-game. Systems Alliance soldiers all have designations of a letter, (which denotes their specialization) and a number from 1 to 8, which denotes their rating (You can see C8 on one of the other armor suits which means they're a top-level combat grunt.). However the N rating is a special one. Soldiers get to go into a special program at a secret site, and come away with an N1 rating if they complete it. They can't display it like other ratings, but they have it. After that they can go back and complete other training programs for N2-6 ratings, and if they complete all those then they get an N7 rating. That's the only one they are allowed to wear on combat armor, and it means you are King loving Badass of All Mankind.

So uh, isn't that pointless? If everyone has their designation up, then the loving top level commando rolling around with nothing is probably an N anyways.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know what was a really dumb part of the story? 'Actually the reapers were right all along, but thankfully your Dad knew one weird trick to make sure AI wouldn't rebel!'

Besides, Sam only dies if he kills you. But everyone in the Andromeda initiative uses him. He could wipe out all other sentients and keep you in stasis and he'd be fine.

But this is all of Mass Effect. The incompatibility between organic and synthetic life is the dumbest, most worthless conceit in the entire setting. Nothing interesting has ever come out of it, and they can't seem to keep themselves from tripping over it at ever turn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rookersh posted:

So uh, isn't that pointless? If everyone has their designation up, then the loving top level commando rolling around with nothing is probably an N anyways.

I think they just roll with their regular designation, they've "merely" passed the N1-6 courses. It's probably meant as something to shoot for out of pride. Gotta earn the right to wear it, that kind of thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Don't bother trying to inject any logical sense into the concept. It's clearly one of those things where they thought up a cool designation and then had to back-fill an explanation for why you're the only special snowflake sporting one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they just roll with their regular designation, they've "merely" passed the N1-6 courses. It's probably meant as something to shoot for out of pride. Gotta earn the right to wear it, that kind of thing.

Not only don't we know for sure but it's entirely possible that in ME:A nobody still alive knows either.

Pathfinders are the fancy pants elite minecraft commandos of ME:A and you get a special suit tossed at you immediately after Eos. Which nobody seems to build or use? I guess it wasn't too impressive.

The Helius crafted armor is pretty good though - whether the Kett themed one or the fancy bling purple pants one. Wanted the Remnant armor to be good because it looks very bling with the red glowy cables but it's just for pure tanking which is uh, a thing I don't care about at all.

So maybe one of those will become the stolen valor armor of another protagonist in the future.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I used the remnant one with biotics so I could throw Lance around way more. That and 'In the Trenches' worked really well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pwnstar posted:

*waves hands*

"mass effect fields preserved them"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DancingShade posted:

I finally managed to unlock a class for ME:A multiplayer I actually like (apart from the starting infiltrator specced out as a shotgun grenade lobber).

Krogan engineer of course.

Her voice clips are so annoying tho

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Blind Rasputin posted:

Dhan+Black widow is my goto. With full shotgun skill tree and mods the Dhan is ridiculous, ~1300-1500 damage per shot and it can hold 3 rounds. Sometimes it feels like cheating, but gently caress it. The dumb thing is the other shotguns have a lower fire rate so their DPS is nowhere near as good. Maybe only the piranaha is close.

I've tried so many assault rifles and haven't found any I enjoy. Andromeda really hosed up on that front, ME3 had a bunch of fun ARs but in ME:A they all feel weak. It takes a full mag from the revenant to kill anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Thokin is a decent AR in single player. Pistols are the best weapon class to put points into though because it covers everything from the Talon (shotgun in pistol form) to the Eagle (assault rifle in pistol form)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I liked the Sandstorm and the Valkyrie when I used them.

Used vintage heatsinks in them though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

The Thokin is a decent AR in single player. Pistols are the best weapon class to put points into though because it covers everything from the Talon (shotgun in pistol form) to the Eagle (assault rifle in pistol form)

The Remnant SMG with the lightning mod is a pretty serious short range blaster pistol too. Just make sure to slap in the largest magazine upgrade you can find and you're good to go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I liked the Sandstorm and the Valkyrie when I used them.

Used vintage heatsinks in them though.

Yeah the Sandstorm is very good if you can put up with the built in scope

E: Halberd is another very good AR, it's a higher damage Mattock basically

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Black Widow and Sentinel is so much fun it's wrong. Yes I see you hiding behind that wall. Bye :wave:.

Pwnstar posted:

Vacuum storage means most of their gear will last just shy of forever because there's nothing to corrode it. As for food; their plants were stored in seed banks for the trip, which are also good for well beyond their 600-year trip, and their luxuries like meat are probably cryogenically preserved cargo. Stuff like candy bars and cereal probably have fancy future preservatives that mean they're good for 600 years too, if not vacuum-stored as well. It's actually pretty realistic to keep stuff intact that long when it's a guaranteed closed environment like a trip through dark space.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
They just brought a bunch of those ME3 vending machines.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did Cora's loyalty mission last night, it's cool that they made the missions very distinct little vignettes like in ME2

Also Asari are dicks

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Cloak + Charge + Asari Sword is so much fun in this game, and has largely trivialized hardcore. Afraid to bump it up to insanity though.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Ugh, going back to replay Mass Effect 1 after finishing Andromeda was a big mistake. Combat is soooo slow and boring. It's cool that you can give orders to your squad but you also really have to because they are absolutely braindead. And the cooldowns! Jesus, flying to Andromeda doesn't take much longer than my Lift CD.

The music is better though.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Guildencrantz posted:

For all the massive and often cringeworthy flaws with the writing, I have to commend the way the main character is written most of the time. Plus no idea about how the dude voice actor handles it, but the lady VA is really good.

They did a good job differentiating Ryder from Shepard, in ways that make sense. Even if you go for the rational and professional options, Ryder has a much warmer personality than the serious-minded Shep, and relies on charisma rather than authority. The character isn't nearly as badass but is genuinely likeable.

At first I was disappointed at the lack of Renegade-esque rear end in a top hat intimidation options. Most aggressive options are just being rude and sarcastic. Then I realised that this makes total sense in context because we're no longer Commander Shepard who starts the game as a decorated veteran, we're some college aged scrub who lucked into a position through nepotism and doesn't scare anyone. It makes the "I will gently caress your poo poo up" moment pretty satisfying when it comes.

The game could really use a nod to that though, I wish there was an early conversation choice where you try to coldly threaten someone Shep-style and get laughed out of the room.

Finished the game a couple days ago and it completely lined up with my expectations based on the trial -- MEA is seriously the Platonic ideal of a 7/10 game -- but the one thing that did surprise me is how much FemRyder's dorky, fumbling personality progressed, and grew on me over the course of the game. If there is a sequel, Ryder is pretty much the only character I'd actually be excited to see return, and I really didn't expect to feel that way going in.

Of course, the rest of the game left me feeling ranging from lukewarm ambivalence to actual disinterest in any sequel, so...

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think I've put my finger on the chief thing about the story that bothers me:

I don't understand why. Why Andromeda?

I've finished the game (7/10) and agree with most of what you've written.

Going into Andromeda, there was lots of talk about exploring a new galaxy and making first contact. But by the time you get there, you find that you are one of the last people to explore the area. The Nexus has been here for more than a year, they have visited almost all the worlds you were meant to settle, they have split off into factions that live side-by-side with various aliens, and have developed their own complex relationships and societies. I understand from a gameplay perspective why they did this, but it seems to make the decision to travel all the way to Andromeda rather meaningless.

Honestly, you could take the basic premise of Andromeda and, with very little change, turn it into Mass Effect 4, set in the Milky Way. Instead of running away from the ME3 ending "controversy" Bioware could have just held their nose, picked an ending as canon, and moved on. Then, you could use almost the exact same story as Andromeda: a few years after the destruction of the relays, the Council is sending a mission into the Terminus systems (or any other less explored part of the galaxy) to see how these fringe colony worlds are surviving since being cut off, with the goal of bringing new colonists and a stronger Council presence. You could even include the Kett, Angora, and Remanent if you really wanted, since there were many parts of the Milky Way that were never explored in the first place (due to civilizations developing around systems with mass relays). Not saying it would have been a better game, but I think it would have worked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

escalator dropdown posted:

Finished the game a couple days ago and it completely lined up with my expectations based on the trial -- MEA is seriously the Platonic ideal of a 7/10 game -- but the one thing that did surprise me is how much FemRyder's dorky, fumbling personality progressed, and grew on me over the course of the game. If there is a sequel, Ryder is pretty much the only character I'd actually be excited to see return, and I really didn't expect to feel that way going in.

Of course, the rest of the game left me feeling ranging from lukewarm ambivalence to actual disinterest in any sequel, so...

I dunno, Drack is pretty much the best Krogan ever :allears:. I hope Cranky Krogan Grandpa is in a sequel if Ryder's the protagonist again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm about 75% done in the game now and my biggest issue is the music. What I hear I like, when the game deems me worthy of loving hearing it. I swear Kandara, Aya and the Tempest are just noiseless trudges. Just give me a little something. I had two loyalty missions where I barely heard any music outside of the fighting. Cutscenes are very dry when there is nothing playing. I can't tell if this is a bug or if this is the intentional design.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blowfish posted:

Ok I'm a dumb lazy goon who sort of liked mass effect 1 more than the other two, should I buy Andromeda at full price because I will like it or should get it on sale in a year since it'll just be mostly ok but nothing special?

no

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this game is the Suicide Squad of games

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

You just cracked the screen the first time, the second time you straight up lost the whole windshield because you like to catch yourself with your dang face. You have had repeated concussions and facial bone fractures through the course of your life, which explains your hosed up facial expressions

See, it's worldbuilding!

Lol if you think the human neck stands up to impact better than space polycarbonate.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Moola posted:

this game is the Suicide Squad of games

The Academy Award winning Suicide Squad.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I'm about 75% done in the game now and my biggest issue is the music. What I hear I like, when the game deems me worthy of loving hearing it. I swear Kandara, Aya and the Tempest are just noiseless trudges. Just give me a little something. I had two loyalty missions where I barely heard any music outside of the fighting. Cutscenes are very dry when there is nothing playing. I can't tell if this is a bug or if this is the intentional design.

I'm 99% sure it's a bug only because none of the bars have music including the one where you can dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I hear music all the time, something's probably hosed up

There's some serious QA issues