Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

anti_strunt posted:

Thanks!

I was reading through the thread and saw the mention of the "TSWW" series ("The Second World War" - no hubris there...) which is apparently supposed to be the Europa System of the 21st century only this series is totally not going to flame out you guys?

So I had a look at a review of TSWW: Blitzkrieg:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/573966/first-look-tsww-blitzkrieg/page/1

And apparently the game designer decided to weigh in, and then stick around to drop some development updates of future series games, over a period of several years, in the comments thread of a random BGG review.

Birds of Prey's main forum for updates and discussion is still a Yahoo! group. Wargaming, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MikeCrotch posted:

Birds of Prey's main forum for updates and discussion is still a Yahoo! group. Wargaming, man.

Has BoP gotten proper BVR combat yet

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

anti_strunt posted:

And apparently the game designer decided to weigh in, and then stick around to drop some development updates of future series games, over a period of several years, in the comments thread of a random BGG review.

Facebook's gonna be where you want to go for consistent TSWW module updates. He's been pretty active there.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Facebook's gonna be where you want to go for consistent TSWW module updates. He's been pretty active there.

Has anyone here tried any of the games?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

anti_strunt posted:

Has anyone here tried any of the games?

I would be very surprised if someone has. Maybe at a con. They're laughably huge and expensive.

I dig monster games and own War in Europe and the Der Weltkrieg series, but the TSWW series are too ridiculous even for me.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 3, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phi230 posted:

Has BoP gotten proper BVR combat yet

Nah, they said it never will as it's not what the game's designed for.

You can try and nail someone with a Phoenix though, but to do it you would need to fire it along the long diagonal of the map since it flies 64 hexes in a straight line immediately after launch.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Pericles playbook dropped. It's interesting that all games have to have 4 players, using bots to fill any empty seats.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

anti_strunt posted:

What's the scope/scale/salient features of SCS compared to the other *CS's?

Is the OCS Blitzkrieg Legend connected to the book of the same name and its thesis (that Germany had no coherent doctrine guiding the 1940 campaign)?

Yeah, OCS TBL is very much a representation of the book in game form. The game is very much allied-favoured, and if the Jerries don't get a good double turn, they're pretty much hosed . I mean, ultimately, the French have an ahistorical ability to respond (+ a much better understanding of the situation than they did historically), but it's not just named after the book!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Pericles playbook dropped. It's interesting that all games have to have 4 players, using bots to fill any empty seats.

Well that's sort of an intrinsic element to the game though isn't it? Getting your 'junior' partner to go along with you even when they may not want to, thus forcing you to compromise lest they withhold forces.

edit: and now all I need is the vassal module or for my copy to arrive. They said shipping this month so I'm optimistic I'll get to play this soon. Solitaire of course because where am I going to get three other people who can handle this without it turning into a total shitshow of spite?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ithle01 posted:

Well that's sort of an intrinsic element to the game though isn't it? Getting your 'junior' partner to go along with you even when they may not want to, thus forcing you to compromise lest they withhold forces.

edit: and now all I need is the vassal module or for my copy to arrive. They said shipping this month so I'm optimistic I'll get to play this soon. Solitaire of course because where am I going to get three other people who can handle this without it turning into a total shitshow of spite?

The COIN games typically offer 2 or 3 player no-bot options.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:gonk:

poo poo, better start prepping for the end times.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

The COIN games typically offer 2 or 3 player no-bot options.

I've been playing COIN for about three years and this is news to me. I can' imagine playing any of them without the full four and having it remotely work out.

edit: forgot about FitL, but other than that I can't think of any that work. And in FitL it's pretty poor too because the ARVN/US team up is a monster.

poo poo, I also forgot about LoD. Nevermind then, I was way off.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 3, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if you are starved for friends and can hold out for a year or longer, the rumors are the Filipino COIN will be a 3 player game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

In fact, the one time we played Cuba Libre with a bot it decided to hand the game to one player.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

cenotaph posted:

In fact, the one time we played Cuba Libre with a bot it decided to hand the game to one player.

Back then, the bots were only designed for games where M26 and/or the Government are played by humans. They've greatly improved since then and each play to win now.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

here we go, boys.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Can someone who has previously played review the rules and summarize if they are better. I have downloaded them but I cannot read them until later in the week..

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Tekopo posted:

And here I thought that this might call for a SS-Lets Play?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I can't check right now, but volume 2 might be introducing new radios :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Oh my god, you can now buy one shot skills for your officers.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

quote:

Note that snipers are not governed by the Enemy Activity Hierarchy, but by this section.

They know.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Please don't make this game playable, I don't want to buy it again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Has, uh

has anyone heard from Cool Corn lately? I'm worried about a relapse...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
pls sen help i can''t keep hllding outtt hnnnnn

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god the sniper rules are comprehensible now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So.

Fourth buy?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

So while initially i wanted to praise the new FoF rulebook, it doesn't really highlight many of the small, conscious design changes between the two editions. So shed away your expectations born out of hours spend browsing BGG only to discover there's critical hits on grenades and bunkers have a minimum range now and platoons activate sequentially and

oh my god

why won't you just leave me alone

why couldn't I have chosen some nice, organized game like Combat Commander why am i doing this to myself

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

platoons activate sequentially

u wot m8

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

"Mysterious suicide epidemic strikes wargamers, authorities baffled"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

So.

Fourth buy?

and yeah of course

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You now use/reserve all action points on an officer before activating others.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

You now use/reserve all action points on an officer before activating others.

Oh, I think that's how I was playing it before.

I mean, this is a game where you make up half the rules anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I printed off the rules and the quickstart guide to play it on Vassal, but my next free block of time is on [checks calendar] Good Friday.

Sounds like it's gonna be a Good Friday :dukedoge:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd recommend starting with the starting scenario for the korean war :evilbuddy:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Those of us who've never played the 1st ed will play this and wonder why you all have meltdowns over this game

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

I'd recommend starting with the starting scenario for the korean war :evilbuddy:

I really really want to know what is wrong with it

FoF is such a fascinating beast

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

FoF is such a fascinating beast
There's nothing wrong with it technically, it's just huge, long and really unforgiving.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I'm glad my words of wisdom live on.

MikeCrotch posted:

While Vietnam is the biggest rules clusterfuck by far, the opening mission of the Korean campaign is a PTSD simulation tour de force that both makes you realize the entire WWII campaign was just an extended tutorial and makes you long for the chill, stress-free time you could have iron manning Dark Souls.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm gonna read through the v2 rules and then do a Korean mission playthrough, just you wait and see. I want everyone to suffer with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god they revamped the way pyrotechnics work, you have to pick from a list of options now, not just "choose what this colored smoke means and just play it out however you feel"