Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jessica Jones was polarizing, but at the very least it was interesting, which is the big issue with Iron Fist. Even when the shows are bad or too slow they at least have an interesting premise to keep you going. Iron Fist just feels like I'm watching a less fun version of Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

RUM HAM posted:

Mushyfaced toughgirl needs to die along with Tommy gun dude, whose superpower is apparently spraying bullets everywhere but where they're supposed to go. I liked this show but those two are so out of their league to the point of detracting from the overall quality.

Agreed, tough girl was quite bad. That seemed a casting choice based solely on, "We need a real native American, but this is oddly the best we can do." The show wasn't dependent on fight choreography, but it's distracting when her character don't look like she could throw a punch (you see her early in episode 2, I think, throwing lazy punches at a wing chun dummy, and I thought oh geez this isn't good).

I liked Tommy Gun's powers (memory recreation), but he was stiff, too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. F! posted:

Wait but I thought everyone liked JJ when it came out?
Maybe only the people who liked it were discussing it?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hi there this show about a woman dealing with abuse and PTSD focuses too much on her dealing with those issues. I'd prefer she fire laser beams and sing songs and fight villains. Also that bitch needs to smile more

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
in fairness it is true that Kristen Ritter isn't much of an actress, and it's especially visible when she's playing opposite David Tennant

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Death Note movie being announced is a good way to sort out which people on social media don't know who Adam Wingard and Simon Barret are

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

in fairness it is true that Kristen Ritter isn't much of an actress, and it's especially visible when she's playing opposite David Tennant

Okay you've seen Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 right?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes, we've all seen garbage.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, we've all seen garbage.

I liked it :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I haven't, but I only really know her from this and Veronica Mars so maybe goofy genre fiction just doesn't play to her strengths? I'll give it a shot.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Can't believe Netflix Live was cancelled one episode in, 10 minutes so far with Microwave & Toaster & I'm completely enthralled.

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
'84 Nightmare on Elm Street is back on Netflix

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mission Impossible update: 1 was good for being made in 1996. The computer stuff was typical movie hacking IM IN but layered on top of being old as poo poo too. Otherwise an ok action movie.

2 was mostly dog poo poo. All the action was ridiculous in a stupid way. 75% of the movie was in slow mo with weird music.

On to 3.

And also I read the wiki for one and finally realized why the International Monetary Fund had a super spy division.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Lol what about it being made in 96 gives it a handicap? The email system is esoteric enough not to be anachronistic and the tech-in-isolation is still practiced today.

Mi1 is an amazing film that holds up wonderfully. The end train sequence is thrilling, dePalma nailed that movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Maxwell Lord posted:

She plays that character exactly the same as she played JJ. It was very obnoxious.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hi there this show about a woman dealing with abuse and PTSD focuses too much on her dealing with those issues. I'd prefer she fire laser beams and sing songs and fight villains. Also that bitch needs to smile more

I just wish they'd gotten an actress.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tennant made that show.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. F! posted:

Wait but I thought everyone liked JJ when it came out?

No, it was divisive then too, I liked it but it was pretty superficial

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I didn't watch those things but Ritter was a major weak link on Breaking Bad too

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Jessica Jones required this weird world where people were simultaneously terrified of superpeople but also completely unwilling to believe that there was a superperson out there doing bad things. It was incredibly weird.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Jessica jones was True Detective season 2 if it was written by a 14 year old rather than a 16 year old.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

She plays that character exactly the same as she played JJ. It was very obnoxious.

That is... pretty plainly wrong. Chloe is very enthusiastic and perky- just about, y'know, doing very bad things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't Trust the B in apt 23 is one of the worst things I have ever watched.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Speaking of nerd poo poo I'm watching Future Diary on Hulu and uh god loving drat that show is a rollercoaster :stare:

It's like every time I think the show's gonna settle on something for a little while, it just jerks in some completely :catdrugs: direction out of nowhere

also Yuno loving owns

I just finished this show and... gently caress, the ending basically loving destroyed me :qq:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, these criticisms of the show are bewildering. And there are tools you can buy at a bodega to help prevent you from becoming susceptible to mind control, did you know that? Everybody does, apparently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new Netflix show 13 Reasons Why (based on a YA book, I guess) is really, really fantastic. I'm on episode 6 and poo poo is getting real. It starts a little doofy as you have to accept the insanely pretentious conceit first (and also the existence of, rather than a Magical Negro, a Magical Latino Hipster) but by the end of the second episode it hits full steam.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Luke Cage was worth watching mostly due to Mahershala Ali and to a lesser extent Alfre Woodard and Rosario Dawson and even Frankie Faison and the other side characters.

Mike Colter is a cool dude and obviously physically imposing but his acting is sort of wooden and his scenes with Ali made it pretty evident he was greatly overmatched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Legion seems good from what I have seen of it, but I am so fundamentally uninterested in comic book based stuff at this point I have to force myself to watch it. I liked the first episode but I watched it like 2 weeks ago and haven't gone back to it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Watch Legion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm going to finish it eventually. Bad timing with better caul saul and Fargo ssn2 going up around the same time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I'm going to finish it eventually. Bad timing with better caul saul and Fargo ssn2 going up around the same time.

I just finished BCS season 2 and drat, what an improvement over season 1 (which is saying a lot). I'd say BCS season 2 is better than at least two of the seasons of BrBa.

Legion is definitely worth your time once you knock those out though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I don't binge watch stuff much but I watched like 7 episodes of it yesterday lol. It's really good!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just finished this show and... gently caress, the ending basically loving destroyed me :qq:

Hop over to the manga for the last few chapters, there's more to the story. Or watch the OVA but the OVA is the manga ending + a bunch of weird new stuff that kind of sucks.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Anyone have any opinions on The Discovery? I literally rolled my eyes at some of the dialogue, the relationship dynamic between Segal and Mara was ice cold in its execution and the denouement after the final twist seemed tacked on and ham-fisted. Also there never seems to be any sense of reconciliation or even resolution between Segal and Redford, which is odd considering their relationship is the catalyst for the entire plot of the movie.

But overall I thought it was a decent second outing by the The One I Love director, even if he bit off a little more than he could chew. The twist was a little too Inception-y for my taste though. I enjoyed it in spite of its glaring flaws.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
So, the person that said the Trailer Park Boys suck now to me was kind of right. I binged the whole new season on Friday and it really was not that good at all.

What Amazon Pilots are you guys liking? I have seen The Legend of Master Legend and Budding Prospects and liked them both and hope they get made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked the Budding Prospects pilot but wonder if the quality will maintain once the show actually moves to the sticks. The main characters are good though so I'm hopeful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The scene with the "vet" and the bomber plane in BCS made me laugh harder than any comedy I've watched in a while.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hop over to the manga for the last few chapters, there's more to the story. Or watch the OVA but the OVA is the manga ending + a bunch of weird new stuff that kind of sucks.

Is it just gonna twist the knife or is it gonna make anything better? That ending seriously loving hurt. I just want Yuki and Yuno to be happy, god drat it! They have earned that a hundred goddamn times over! :smithicide:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is it just gonna twist the knife or is it gonna make anything better? That ending seriously loving hurt. I just want Yuki and Yuno to be happy, god drat it! They have earned that a hundred goddamn times over! :smithicide:

It's gonna make it better, to the point where I would describe the theme of Mirai Nikki as "Love Conquers All, including physics, morality, and common sense."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's gonna make it better, to the point where I would describe the theme of Mirai Nikki as "Love Conquers All, including physics, morality, and common sense."

Okay gently caress yes I am watching this as soon as I get off work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished BCS season 2 and holy crap gently caress Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Better gently caress Chuck