Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dongattack posted:

I don't like non sci-fi/fantasy stuff, but i forgot that The Expanse was a thing i wanted to check out, cheers!

edit: oh, Legion is a super hero kinda thing, i skimmed a short blurb and assumed it was about mental illness. ill check out that too then

Yeah it's both.

Also, The Magicians, while not as great as the other three shows I mentioned, is fairly ok and I don't really like fantasy or fantasy-inspired stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed S1 of Colony and S2 is still airing or just finished (I'm saving it to binge).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah it's both.

Also, The Magicians, while not as great as the other three shows I mentioned, is fairly ok and I don't really like fantasy or fantasy-inspired stuff.

Is the The Magicians just Mopey but Sexy Harry Potter or am I thinking about a different show?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

homullus posted:

It is a superhero thing that is also about mental illness.

I'd say it is a mental health thing that is also, tangentially, about people who have powers and are not particularly heroic, really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

Is the The Magicians just Mopey but Sexy Harry Potter or am I thinking about a different show?

In S2 they turned down the emo stuff a little and made the show a little more self aware and laughing at itself. But yeah, its mostly mopey, sexy Harry Potter/Narnia.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aleph Null posted:

Like Stac Goat kinda said, yeah first season was a lot of that, but second season cut it back by a lot and it's generally accepted to have changed for the better and gotten notice. There was a fun episode where they plan and execute a bank heist using MAGIC.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know if they toned it down "a lot." But its definitely been tweaked so that only like half the cast is outwardly depressed at any given time.

Or actually, they're all probably depressed but they're much more active with crazy magical things to do to keep their minds off it instead of just sitting around getting wasted all the time like in S1.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Mid-20's depression is like a staple of the books it's based on and the show in general, so that's never going away anyway. This season has just generally had too much going one at any one time for it to get to season one levels. IMO. Though I guess you basically said the same thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They're all still depressed for a variety of reasons (and I think it goes well beyond "mid-20s" "What am I going to do with my life?" stuff and to full on clinical depression and grief) but they're too busy to wallow in it.

Like, you got a perfect example of that this past episode where one of the characters starts the episode drinking out of depression and then another grabs the glass and says "you have poo poo to do." In season 1 they would have just gotten wasted together for half the episode and then done something self destructive.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Pan Dulce posted:

I knew it! I knew she was going to go by that name.

That is her name.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

pee out my butt posted:

That is her name.

Seems to be a debated point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed S1 of Colony and S2 is still airing or just finished (I'm saving it to binge).

The finale is next Thursday. The consensus is it's not quite as strong as S1 but still pretty good for what it is.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mmmmm gratuitous beefcake shirtlessness in the new promo. I missed you Brett Dalton

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Phylodox posted:

I'd say it is a mental health thing that is also, tangentially, about people who have powers and are not particularly heroic, really.

I'd say it's loving incredible and trying to put it in a box of some sort does it a tremendous disservice.

This isn't a knock against anyone here, I just want to emphasize how drat good it is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

I'd say it's loving incredible and trying to put it in a box of some sort does it a tremendous disservice.

This isn't a knock against anyone here, I just want to emphasize how drat good it is.

The comic it was loosely based on was also wonderful

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Longbaugh01 posted:

Magicians is a perfect example of what happens when you went to make a genre show, but don't have any budget. Pretty much all the terrible writing in season one can be blamed on poor writing, due them not being able to afford sets or magic.
It does get better in the second season though, once they run out of good material and just start making up boring stories on their own.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Oasx posted:

Pretty much all the terrible writing in season one can be blamed on poor writing

But you repeat yourself.

(Also, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. It's not a great show by any means, but if the writing was as consistently bad as you seem to be saying, then I wouldn't have binged the first season, some of the second, and kept watching.)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OB_Juan posted:

Seems to be a debated point.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Slashrat posted:

I like that Daisy's immediate instinct upon seeing Ward was to tremor him into paste.

What's great is she is probably going through some really hosed up emotional poo poo because she's not even really thinking of him as Ward right away, but as Hive, the creature that mindfucked her last season.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Keshik posted:

What's great is she is probably going through some really hosed up emotional poo poo because she's not even really thinking of him as Ward right away, but as Hive, the creature that mindfucked her last season.

And then thinking of him as Ward, who spent a significant amount of time loving with her mind.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I hope it will be a mini redemption story for Ward, i really like the character :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dongattack posted:

I hope it will be a mini redemption story for Ward, i really like the character :smith:

I hope Ward gets downloaded into an LMD.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just binged Legion, thanks for suggesting it, it was pretty good. Aubrey Plaza stole the show really hard tho, which isn't "bad" i guess, just made everyone else except David seem kinda boring.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dongattack posted:

Just binged Legion, thanks for suggesting it, it was pretty good. Aubrey Plaza stole the show really hard tho, which isn't "bad" i guess, just made everyone else except David seem kinda boring.

Jermaine Clement and Bill Irwin were anything but boring.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Longbaugh01 posted:

Jermaine Clement and Bill Irwin were anything but boring.

Ok.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Um, possible spoiler?

If so, I'm down with it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That promo clip made me all tingly with anticipation. Can't wait for Tuesday!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dongattack posted:

Aubrey 's performance is so amazing that this is more a complement than a detriment.

Plus, the scene where SK is rampaging around in David's memories. Rawr.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, I guess we know what Mace has been doing in the Framework. Being loving awesome.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, I guess we know what Mace has been doing in the Framework. Being loving awesome.

live your dream, Jeff.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm hoping either Mace or Ward is the framework-verse Captain America. Not sure which would be funnier.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Javid posted:

I'm hoping either Mace or Ward is the framework-verse Captain America. Not sure which would be funnier.

Mace will be. If a certain amount of the Framework is wish-fulfillment, Mace being a hero fighting the good fight completely makes sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hell yes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dongattack posted:

Oh boy, not pointing figures but you made me realize there's a mortal lock that if Ward is anything short of totally evil in this storyline it will spark a whole online "redemption" thing for him that ignores that that ain't Ward, but just a computer simulation that Aida thinks will make Daisy complacent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Javid posted:

Davis.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Koenig.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Lance.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Which one?

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Fauxshiz posted:

Which one?

Why limit yourself to one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

vlad3217 posted:

Why limit yourself to one?

God could you imagine? Every corner you turn there's pudgy, slow Captain America. HOW THE gently caress IS HE DOING THIS?

• Locked thread