Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Season 2 was probably given more leeway because they had nothing in the pipeline, unlike Season 2 of 00 and Geas R2 when they already had a set year of shows.

I mean, they had to throw in a half-baked Unicorn series just to fill space for the timeslot between the breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Season 2 was probably given more leeway because they had nothing in the pipeline, unlike Season 2 of 00 and Geas R2 when they already had a set year of shows.

I mean, they had to throw in a half-baked Unicorn series just to fill space for the timeslot between the breaks.

That should've put them right in the crosshairs for meddling though, because it has to do well as the only show in the pipeline. Generally in situations where you see a show or game turn out amazingly well in spite of itself like this, it means there was another one taking the brunt of the unwanted attention at the time from the same studio/publisher.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

Not too surprising, given how many of them got cancelled or changed directors along the way. :smith:

Not many were though. I know of 5 definite ones across both possibilities, and there's maybe one or two more that I'm not sure of or being generous for ones I don't know. In a franchise with at least 26 entries total including TV anime, OVA and films. Cancelled projects being 0079 and X, while 08th MS Team and 0083 had changed directors. Zeonic Translations recently translated some F91 stuff that spread some light on it's production, including that the staff were never told whether F91 was going to be a film or TV animation and operated under that confusion for months. So it was really cancelled, but the end result is similar enough that it might as well still be counted as one. Which is 5 total, out of at least 16 TV animations, 5 OVAs and 5 films.

Tae posted:

That's not why Unicorn: 0096 exists. It exists because Brave Beats or some other show was cancelled and they needed something to air in it's vacant slot.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 2, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The article reminds me of the time I read that a lot of Cross Ange's shoddier aspects were attributed to Gundam Seed's Director Mitsuo Fukuda (Cross Ange's Producer). I'm guessing at the point where Ange's development started, he was just trying to stay focused due to the stress of taking care of his wife (Chiaki Morosawa, who was G-Seed's main writer). Poor guy. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overall a fairly solid ending. Things end up a bit too happy for what they are. Rustal being reform-minded totally makes sense but at the end of the day they veered a bit too hard on it offscreen so it fills a little ill-earned. Kudelia basically got poo poo on by the plot and ended up doing nothing but be Mika's Sad Waifu despite the show trying to pretend otherwise. Still, I respect them for actually sticking the landing on the concept. Mika being brutally slaughtered and his metaphorical head literally thrust upon a spike as a symbol of evil is a really potent image.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

The article reminds me of the time I read that a lot of Cross Ange's shoddier aspects were attributed to Gundam Seed's Director Mitsuo Fukuda (Cross Ange's Producer). I'm guessing at the point where Ange's development started, he was just trying to stay focused due to the stress of taking care of his wife (Chiaki Morosawa, who was G-Seed's main writer). Poor guy. :smith:

Wait, wait. What parts of Cross Ange weren't shoddy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't watched it but from its SRWV appearance it at at least tries to tell a story about how hosed up some social rules we take for granted are and makes the final villain a walking talking redditor who only cares about women for being pure waifus. I don't know if it succeeds at it (and I doubt it does) but y'know.

I mean in SRWV the main character literally gives a speech about how hosed up it is that gay people are treated like outcasts and she is fighting for a world where they can live without being judged so y'know, I presume it has at least something good buried beneath the awful poo poo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The sound of barbatos was loving haunting.

KoB
May 1, 2009
:patriot: Muscle Squad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know, bad example, but cut me some slack: My daughter has a full-on crush on Nana Mizuki, so if I had Sundays off, I would watch anime with her. I swear that my daughter's one fatal flaw is that she has really dumb tastes/opinions with regards to Anime, Manga and shipping (and for those of you who frequent the chat thread, yes: She still ships Ryu x Sakura :cripes:)

This was the first Gundam she watched as it was airing and she seems to have liked it. I even taught her how to do the awesome celtic battle theme in Violin, so maybe she's not completely hopeless. :unsmith:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I more or less knew what was going to happen, but I thought the feeling was going to be a lot darker than it ended up actually being

In the end all a mixture of self-serving pragmatism and good natured idealism work together in a way that makes the world a better place

i'll take that over the power of psychic ghosts creating trans-temporal universal empathy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somebody earlier in the thread predicted the show would have an ending similar to Fang of the Sun Dougram, and drat were they spot-on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I now have a powerful urge for an IBO AMV set to 'Hammer to Fall'. I know it's a Cold War song, but I still think it'd fit really well.

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the Dainsleif cloud...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Iok died, therefore Good End.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Decent ending. Gonna agree with the sentiment that the stuff about democracy coming to Mars anyways didn't really feel earned but I was cool with everything else, particularly with the various character endings, especially Mikazuki's final battle.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Guy Goodbody posted:

Somebody earlier in the thread predicted the show would have an ending similar to Fang of the Sun Dougram, and drat were they spot-on

I've been noticing parallels from Episode 1 honestly. It's been really following that path from the beginning with the politicking, and seeing it end this way makes alot of sense.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I liked that though the ending paints a nicer, brighter picture of the IBOverse than when it started, it keeps kind of winking and nudging that the process of getting there was not at all clean despite the official story. Oh, and Gjallarhorn reforming because three of the Seven Stars are dead and gone, and not also because of the controversies the ignited the coup, I mean, the McGillis Fareed Incident. History is complicated but society enjoys a clean narrative.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, the ending was a mixed bag for me. Add me to the crowd who felt the wrap up of Mars' situation was a little too cozy, but hey at least there's a happy ending there overall. On the other hand, rest in piss Iok Kujan. Sadly, he did not overtake Chronicle Asher as the most hilariously embarrassing Gundam death, but is a solid runner-up in my book. Glad that Akihiro got some revenge at least. As for Ride, I am satisfied that some people who lived didn't get happy endings, but I do feel bad that one of the more positive members got the less happy ending. Overall, like others have been saying, IBO stuck the landing very well, considering other series in the past have messed up on that part in various ways.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

And with a single bad decision, Iok paves the way to a reformed, democratic Gjallarhorn. Get hosed you incompetent boob.

I'm cool with this. If nothing else, it was certainly the most :black101: last episode in Gundam history.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Who the hell was that blonde mechanic in the ending?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

AtheistMantis posted:

Yamagi?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Even the curse of the second season died.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Iok died, therefore Good End.

"Colasaur your way out of this one, motherfucker."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rustal finally pinned down the proper title for Tekkaden and Mikizuki. They are not space rats to be crushed with ease, but beasts who you must do everything possible to prevent from emerging in the first place. I think that fact spurred on a lot of what Rustal did after the dust settled he didn't want to risk another such group emerging and this time tearing apart the system he cared so much about. So better to start the change himself so that he could have some control over what happened.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

AtheistMantis posted:

Yep. And look at the symbol on his jacket. :unsmith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalRaven posted:

"Colasour your way out of this one, motherfucker."
:golfclap:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Less Colasour. More coleslaw.

Funny. The Garma clone was the only surviving Gundam pilot.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

chiasaur11 posted:

Less Colasour. More coleslaw.

Funny. The Garma clone was the only surviving Gundam pilot.

Regardless of if you think he's Garma or not, he's a great CHAR
acter.

Small detail that might not be possible to verify- was Ride using the gun Mika lent Orga? It doesn't have any distinguishing markings that I can see so I guess there's no way to tell.

Edit:

jackhunter64 posted:

Yep. And look at the symbol on his jacket. :unsmith:

Just noticed that Dane works for the same company, presumable Zach too. Also they have a Haro on a desk.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just noticed that Dane works for the same company, presumable Zach too. Also they have a Haro on a desk.

That guy is not shaped like a human

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BizarroAzrael posted:

Regardless of if you think he's Garma or not, he's a great CHAR
acter.

Small detail that might not be possible to verify- was Ride using the gun Mika lent Orga? It doesn't have any distinguishing markings that I can see so I guess there's no way to tell.

Edit:

It may be Zack's dads company. But who knows least they got a decent job that does not involve risking their lives.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Look, he's just fresh off his role in Attack on Titan, be nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Remember that this is the Post Disaster era, where there are reasons for people being oddly-shaped and incredibly strong. :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

decided to start watching this on a whim a couple days ago (good timing since I got to the ending right as it was released), and man this was a lot darker than I remember gundam being. tho to be fair, the last one I watched in its entirety was g gundam so :v:

I liked it a lot tho. I don't mind that the ending gave mars about the happiest ending it could have gotten, considering like 3/4s of the main cast there is dead by the end. I can understand not being sold on it tho

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The show's moral seems thoroughly un-Gundam. A big stupid clusterfuck war with no political coordination manages through nebulous contrivance to fix every problem in the world. All of the survivors (including the shady mafia don) turn out to be good guys except for the ruthless businessman, who gets conveniently assassinated.

There are the elements of a good 12 or 24 episode show but there's so much filler and plots that don't go anywhere that it ends up a thoroughly mediocre 50-episode show.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Jack is looking good in his dad's suit.

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Microcline posted:

The show's moral seems thoroughly un-Gundam. A big stupid clusterfuck war with no political coordination manages through nebulous contrivance to fix every problem in the world. All of the survivors (including the shady mafia don) turn out to be good guys except for the ruthless businessman, who gets conveniently assassinated.

There are the elements of a good 12 or 24 episode show but there's so much filler and plots that don't go anywhere that it ends up a thoroughly mediocre 50-episode show.

What about it is "un-Gundam"? What Gundam are you referring to? There's a lot of Gundam series with different and often conflicting morals and themes. IBO's approach to child soldiers dovetails nicely with UC Gundam's take on newtypes and cyber newtypes, for example.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I think at end of the day IBO is now my favorite Gundam series. I felt both incredibly satisfied with some parts of the ending as well as frustrated and unsatisfied with others, but overall I don't think I've ever flat out enjoyed a Gundam show as much. A fair portion of why might be how much I liked Mikazuki and adored the design of the Barbatos, admittedly.

As for my only real complaints it's just that Rustal basically got off scot free, even if he changed things for the better in the end. The other being Julietta's "fight" with Mika being basically nothing on her end and yet she got credit for defeating him. Which was likely part of Rustal's plan in the first place, but that's just another part of why it was frustrating to see play out. Other than that though, yeah, A+ series will probably go back and watch it all again someday.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

What about it is "un-Gundam"? What Gundam are you referring to? There's a lot of Gundam series with different and often conflicting morals and themes. IBO's approach to child soldiers dovetails nicely with UC Gundam's take on newtypes and cyber newtypes, for example.

Though I do think that when Tomino finds out that his franchise was used as the basis for a romanticised allegorical history of Imperial Japan, there's going to be blood on the desks at Sunrise.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Microcline posted:

There is a story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit.

"Such bad luck," they said sympathetically.

"We'll see," the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses.

"How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed.

"We'll see," replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.

"We'll see," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.

"We'll see" said the farmer.

A McGillis/Tekkadan victory carried within it the seeds of its own destruction. A peaceful transition of power from Rustal Elion to Kudelia Bernstein?

We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Microcline posted:

While I respect your opinion and agree that some arcs could've been cut down or excised entirely (Brewers on the 1st season, Dawn Horizon on the 2nd), I think Argas' post managed to, more or less, make the best point about the wrap-up.

Argas posted:

I liked that though the ending paints a nicer, brighter picture of the IBOverse than when it started, it keeps kind of winking and nudging that the process of getting there was not at all clean despite the official story. Oh, and Gjallarhorn reforming because three of the Seven Stars are dead and gone, and not also because of the controversies the ignited the coup, I mean, the McGillis Fareed Incident. History is complicated but society enjoys a clean narrative.
Plus remember all of these circumstances potentially speeding things up:
  • The Arianrhod fleet, mighty as it is, did take quite a beating from Tekkadan / McGillis, so I feel that Rustal had to know where to compromise with regards to his "Kill 'em all" plan.
  • Thanks to the great 17-year old* Carta, Iok, and McGillis getting themselves killed, the Seven Stars System made less and less sense given that half of them bit the dust.
  • Rustal himself seems like the most down to earth out of all the Gjallarhorn leaders / Seven Stars' in that he seems like he has a very good grasp on what needs to be done and how to adapt even when the going gets tough.
  • Hell, let's make the argument that it was indeed a behind-the-scenes pain in the rear end because the two less touched-upon families maybe said something along the lines of "poo poo no! We ain't taking this sitting down!", I'm of the mind that maybe, even with all the casualties, Rustal still (probably) has both the approval of another family head in Gaelio (or, more specifically, his dad) and a sizable chunk of his fleet ready to cock the gun at the two other families' heads and ask "So you were saying...", and seems to be chummy enough with both Nobliss and McMurdo to back him up with resources if need be. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that Ride and his fellow rogue Tekkadan boys got the chance to off Nobliss due to Rustal facilitating it due to wanting to clean up loose ends with regards to that scummy Nobliss maybe getting a swollen head and thinking that he has what it takes to take on Rustal, much like how Jasley thought about snuffing old man McMurdo
And yes, I liked the show a bunch, warts and all. :)

*Oi!

Phobophilia posted:

Story time!
This is also good.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 3, 2017

• Locked thread