Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Even the most competitive of amateur and semi-pro leagues play on poo poo grass fields where you can see mud pits and hills. I would much rather play on turf where I don't have to worry about breaking my ankle just because the other local rec sports teams borrow the fields and carve them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I don't play hard enough to hurt myself on flat surfaces anymore, unless I kick the ground with my forever hosed up big toe.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Playing in Australia in lower league football means that the concept of "having grass in the goalmouth" is a mystical fantasy that I get to dream of experiencing at some point in the future.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
In my regular Winter League, we have one team that plays on artificial turf. The rest of the time we play on some really nice grass fields.
The days of playing on converted cow pastures is long gone.

Where the hell do you people play??? I understand about Australia though TBF

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I didn't like turf until I moved to an urban area, where the grass fields are all pounded into oblivion by local demand. That was also when field turf started showing up (even if you prefer grass to field turf, the difference between those really shrinks when compared to old astroturf). Even the "good" grass fields where I grew up generally kept the grass really long, though. It's expensive to keep a grass field maintained if the "lawn climate" or whatever isn't ideal.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Can we all just agree that being a goalkeeper is poo poo in general and worse on a pitch that acts as a cheese grater whenever you make a dive

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tongues posted:

Can we all just agree that being a goalkeeper is poo poo in general and worse on a pitch that acts as a cheese grater whenever you make a dive

It's pretty good if you like perpetual bruises and broken fingers.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It turns out my mystery injury where my knee failed to exist is a dislocated kneecap and by george that's a tender one to pop back into place

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

It turns out my mystery injury where my knee failed to exist is a dislocated kneecap and by george that's a tender one to pop back into place

I know that life mate, feels real bad.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that, I think I'd rather just have the leg cut off

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Tongues posted:

I don't mind it for a laugh to be honest. I find my positioning, kicking, coming off the line, and being able to play the ball out is all pretty fine...I just find it incredibly unnatural to dive and save things with my hands. This obviously makes me a pretty poo poo keeper but fortunately I've only played in goal when it's been filling in for a mates super poo poo social team.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Bogan Krkic posted:

You have completely understated the amount of pain involved with dislocating your kneecap.

Fuckin' OUCH!

I'm not a Doctor, but dude, don't make a habit of that.
That hurts me when I hear about it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

In fairness it was only partly dislocated or something idk how knees work, it wasn't as painful as snapping a ligament or breaking a bone but probably second to those

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Breaking a bone doesn't really hurt. What happens to tissue around it is what hurts. So the pain involved in breaking bones varies wildly.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I was going to say the same thing, except about popping ligaments. Seems breaking bones hurts like hell most of the time even if it's pretty "clean" (ribs etc.) but I'm not a doctor.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Happened August 28th. When it broke, it didn't hurt. I was certainly in shock and pissed off more than anything. The swelling for the next week was worse. My experience with sports injuries has always been pretty close to that. The adrenaline of the situation and the shock just completely blanked the immediate pain of whatever injuries I was suffering from. The days afterwards were more painful, for sure.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Vinestalk posted:

Happened August 28th. When it broke, it didn't hurt. I was certainly in shock and pissed off more than anything. The swelling for the next week was worse. My experience with sports injuries has always been pretty close to that. The adrenaline of the situation and the shock just completely blanked the immediate pain of whatever injuries I was suffering from. The days afterwards were more painful, for sure.

gently caress me dead that's a proper break. What happened there? Someone connect on a follow through from a goal line clearance?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Vinestalk posted:

Holy moly that's a goodun

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
not an injury i suffered but a few months back in our 5-a-side turf bullshit pick up games some guy tackled another dude from behind just as he dribbled past him, the dude crashed with his entire weight on his forearm and it snapped in three places, including some serious damage to his elbow. the 'snap' sound was quite comical though.

It happened literally 10 minutes after we started playing and I had to take the guy to the ER, so that was a wasted afternoon. I think he had a series of surgeries since, including platinum bolts and the poo poo. On the plus side it's all pretty much free around here, I guess a similar incident in the states could have been a little pricier.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Tongues posted:

gently caress me dead that's a proper break. What happened there? Someone connect on a follow through from a goal line clearance?

Pretty heated indoor game between the two top teams in the league. I was in possession and I tried to dribble around someone by tapping it one way and running around the other side. As soon as he's seeing me go the other way, he hip checks me and sends me flying. I went rear end over head and tried to brace my fall. Fully planted my palm on the ground, but momentum kept carrying my body. The torsion and force of my twisting body snapped my ulna and dislocated my radius. The surgeon told me he sees a break like that happen once every ten years.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've caused two injuries that I know of in my years of playing football - both to team mates.

last year I was playing indoor and kicked a ball off the boards and it hit one of my team mates in the face, and those balls are in my opinion pumped up too hard, and the rock hard ball broke one of his front teeth.

the other one was a few years back, I was in goal in 11 a side and went up for a corner, caught the ball and on the way down my elbow grazed the nose of one of my defenders. I heard and felt it and immediately asked him if it was broken, which it was.

thankfully he's a hard bastard and accepted a triple whiskey after the game by way of apology.

as for me I've fractured my pinky, bruised my ribs twice, popped a disc in my back and broke my nose, but erm the broken nose was playing Rugby.

the stupidest was my pinky, I thought I had dislocated it because the thing was pointing at a strange angle, so I kept trying to pop it back in the socket. which didn't work and just hurt.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 31, 2017

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Vinestalk posted:

Pretty heated indoor game between the two top teams in the league. I was in possession and I tried to dribble around someone by tapping it one way and running around the other side. As soon as he's seeing me go the other way, he hip checks me and sends me flying. I went rear end over head and tried to brace my fall. Fully planted my palm on the ground, but momentum kept carrying my body. The torsion and force of my twisting body snapped my ulna and dislocated my radius. The surgeon told me he sees a break like that happen once every ten years.

did the guy who hip checked you say anything?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Nothing at first, it wasn't until two of my teammates came close to blows with him before he came over and apologized. Our teams really didn't like each other.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My wife did her ACL last year coming off her line in goal and smashing into an attacker, although she broke the attacker's leg so it kind of balanced out. My wife actually drove to the pub with us and had a big night with us (merely saying her knee was sore) before waking up unable to move her leg. At that point we went to a physio and found out the bad news.

Kind of made my almost constant broken fingers and toes seem tiny.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My soccer injury story...
Dribbled around a guy at my top dribbling speed. He kicked me in the back of my leg and messed up my stride. My leg planted in the ground completely straight and it buckled. Tore my MCL and LCL. It was agonizing pain and I just writhed on the ground. It hurt too much to be still.
In comparison I had a compound fracture of my shin bone on a trampoline and I calmly called out for help while I bled all over it. A neighbor helped my limped back to my house and my dad made me wait on the porch while he finished a college homework assignment before he drove me to the ER.

I've never had an ACL injury, but from anecdotal stories I've heard they seem to be less painful than MCL injuries.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My friend popped his ACL and just notice his knee seemed loose as he was running around, though that's pretty rare. I did the unhappy triad thing just changing directions at full speed and yeah it was brutal.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

my dad made me wait on the porch while he finished a college homework assignment before he drove me to the ER.

Just going to put it out there but wtf, gently caress your dad, what is wrong with him?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

iajanus posted:

Just going to put it out there but wtf, gently caress your dad, what is wrong with him?

He's an old school hillbilly that had polio as a kid. He doesn't freak out about anything. He doesn't have sympathy for anyone. I was pretty calm and just waited patiently with a towel wrapped around my leg. I think he was also trying to waste time hoping my mom would get home so she would take me.

My dad is like 5'5 because one leg is a shriveled up bony appendage and they had to stop the growth off his good leg to try to keep them the same length, otherwise he would have been over 6' tall. He hobbled into the same factory for 38 years and never even considered getting any kind of handicap parking.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

My soccer injury story...
Dribbled around a guy at my top dribbling speed. He kicked me in the back of my leg and messed up my stride. My leg planted in the ground completely straight and it buckled. Tore my MCL and LCL. It was agonizing pain and I just writhed on the ground. It hurt too much to be still.
In comparison I had a compound fracture of my shin bone on a trampoline and I calmly called out for help while I bled all over it. A neighbor helped my limped back to my house and my dad made me wait on the porch while he finished a college homework assignment before he drove me to the ER.

I've never had an ACL injury, but from anecdotal stories I've heard they seem to be less painful than MCL injuries.

My parents told me to walk off a broken leg, thinking it was a pulled muscle. I crashed into a tree while sledding. It was Christmas Day :haw:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember when I said how much I loved playing on turf?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
a mere scratch

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Remember when I said how much I loved playing on turf?

What are those socks saying?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What are those socks saying?

They're saying mid-length, thin, um thickness.

https://trusox.com/index.php?page=product&product=3011&idVariant=8

I got them for free.

They're those checkerboard socks you see a lot of players wearing under their match socks.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Shrapnig posted:

They're saying mid-length, thin, um thickness.

https://trusox.com/index.php?page=product&product=3011&idVariant=8

I got them for free.

They're those checkerboard socks you see a lot of players wearing under their match socks.

do you like them?

would you pay $40 for a pair?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

do you like them?

would you pay $40 for a pair?

I really do like them.

If they hold up for a long time I would probably consider it.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Anyone got any advice on how to deal with having played an absolute nightmare of a match? As centreback I just gave away two goals in ten minutes against the league leaders who we were otherwise beating pretty handily. As in, both goals directly as a result of me making two gently caress ups.

Got rightfully dragged by the coach, and our strikers managed to score twice to end the match 3 all. If we had lost I probably would be staying awake all night replaying it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not really helpful but I think everyone has a game like that at some point, you just have to dust yourself off and try to do better next time. Playing defence will always magnify any mistake you make, and you'll always be your own biggest critic. Just put it behind you and move on.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tongues posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with having played an absolute nightmare of a match? As centreback I just gave away two goals in ten minutes against the league leaders who we were otherwise beating pretty handily. As in, both goals directly as a result of me making two gently caress ups.

Got rightfully dragged by the coach, and our strikers managed to score twice to end the match 3 all. If we had lost I probably would be staying awake all night replaying it.

Drink a bunch of beer with your teammates and make fun of yourself.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Between now and your next game, play pickup or something where you know it's all about having fun. It's hard to separate yourself from the rough parts of games when all you're doing is playing competitively and the stakes are high. I just played an indoor game last night where we got thrashed and I missed 3 decent chances to score goals. Immediately afterwards I hung out with some people and we did a nutmeg challenge in the center of the pitch. It was fun as hell and it was nice to do something just for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Tongues posted:

OK.
It happens, maybe not two in ten minutes.

First thing, ya gotta stop loving up. Whatever you were doing, stop it. Now.

You have to keep in mind that us centerbacks/sweepers/stoppers/liberos whatever have to be fuckin' PERFECT on the field. Any fuckups AT ALL usually become a Goal like you found out.
Keep it Simple, play within yourself.

You can't play like the, ahem"creative" mid-fielders who dick around toooo much with the ball. You most definitely can't play like those prima donna Strikers that lose the ball, then stop and wave their arms around like a bad actor portraying Hristo Stoichkov.

Just look at it like ...... you're in the wars, sometime you win, sometimes you lose.
fuggedaboutit