Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hedrigall posted:

All progressive diapsids welcome their bird cousins to family gatherings.

And a selection of side dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm gonna need someone to bite the bullet and see Boss Baby for a trip report. Because hating this thing is the only joy I can receive from its existence.
I don't know why this movie in particular irks me, but it joins The Lorax, Ice Age 3 and Turbo in doing so. I just... loathe it so much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So it's the Baby Geniuses of today? :v:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
scales are basically feathers
hairs are basically scales
feathers are basically plate mail
i am a cluster of minerals and chemical reactions and so are you

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Boss Baby just Jack Donaghy: The Early Years?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is so completely unrelated to Swan Princess now. What absolute dreck. I bet it sells like hotcakes!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Man, I remember when the first trailer for that came out, and it heavily implied there were going to be no voices, just a natural story told through the creatures' actions. Ah well. :saddowns:

Until you posted this, I thought it was exactly this which is why I never watched the movie since that sounded unbearably boring to child me.

And adult me but at least I could respect it.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

That's mostly unrelated. Dinosaurs genuinely have several differences from reptiles.

I joked about ankles, but what's actually the most visible difference is that dinosaurs have legs beneath their bodies (which you see with mammals, such as cows, dogs, etc) while reptiles have legs besides their bodies (see: turtles, crocodiles, lizards, all non-snake reptiles).

:eng101:

Dinosaurs (which birds are nested within) are archosaurian reptiles along with crocodilians. While they have a bunch of derived characters that distinguish them from other groups of reptiles like lepidosaurs (lizards) and turtles, they're still nested within that grouping.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

plz dont pull out posted:

Dinosaurs (which birds are nested within) are archosaurian reptiles along with crocodilians. While they have a bunch of derived characters that distinguish them from other groups of reptiles like lepidosaurs (lizards) and turtles, they're still nested within that grouping.

While that is all factual, having the categories be that broad is not necessarily useful.

Dinosaurs (and birds, and mammals) have notable differences from reptiles that make such a distinction informative. Conflating them together is rarely helpful.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Reptilia would never have existed if cladistics started out knowing what we know now, but it does so now it gets to include a bunch of transparently dissimilar animals whose lca was almost half a billion years ago

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

While that is all factual, having the categories be that broad is not necessarily useful.

Dinosaurs (and birds, and mammals) have notable differences from reptiles that make such a distinction informative. Conflating them together is rarely helpful.

Except these groupings are based on evolutionary relationships, not superficial characteristics. A whale doesn't stop being a mammal because it doesn't have fur. Sure dinosaurs have characters that distinguish them from other clades within Reptilia, but they still share a host of ancestral characters with that group. Trying to place them as separate is misleading. Knowing that birds are closely related to crocodilians is useful, for example, because we can use traits seen in both to infer aspects of dinosaur biology and behavior.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

plz dont pull out posted:

Except these groupings are based on evolutionary relationships, not superficial characteristics. A whale doesn't stop being a mammal because it doesn't have fur. Sure dinosaurs have characters that distinguish them from other clades within Reptilia, but they still share a host of ancestral characters with that group. Trying to place them as separate is misleading. Knowing that birds are closely related to crocodilians is useful, for example, because we can use traits seen in both to infer aspects of dinosaur biology and behavior.

The original cladistic schema of which reptilia is an artifact absolutely WAS based on superficial characteristics. It's become increasingly convoluted with subgroups and reclassifications and controversies because it's not the kind of system you'd build from the ground up with genetic evidence as your base. Like, birds and crocodiles are more closely related to each other than either to, say, lizards, but their lca was 300 million years ago and birds have gone through multiple dramatic evolutionary fluorescences in the meantime, while crocodiles not so much. You can say well, they're archosaurs and we've always considered crocodiles reptiles and so forth, but the classical conception of reptile is effectively being replaced with a new definition that isn't based on totally different principles. Neither birds nor dinosaurs would fit what Linnaeus or your fourth grade teacher in 1994 would consider "reptiles", so the problem is the incompatibility of the system with the evidence.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've been asked to carry along a message on behalf of Pick! She wants to know if y'all think she should see Boss Baby. And then make a Bee Movie-style thread about it.

Okay, I made up that last part but :allears:.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ConfusedUs posted:

The cowboy T-Rex family was the absolute highlight of the movie. I wish the rest had had even some of that heart and imagination.

I am really tired of the retreading Pixar's been fond of lately. That said, if they announced a spin-off featuring the T-Rex family I would be there day one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I had a dream this morning that Tony Jay rose from the grave to reprise his role in a live-action version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Just thought this might amuse/weird out some people in here.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

I've been asked to carry along a message on behalf of Pick! She wants to know if y'all think she should see Boss Baby. And then make a Bee Movie-style thread about it.

Yes.

Could you also ask Pick if she is ok? I sometimes read GBS :/

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Das Boo posted:

YES. :3:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want her to go see it and then come back with her head hanging low when she says she ended up enjoying it :getin:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Das Boo posted:

I'm gonna need someone to bite the bullet and see Boss Baby for a trip report. Because hating this thing is the only joy I can receive from its existence.
I don't know why this movie in particular irks me, but it joins The Lorax, Ice Age 3 and Turbo in doing so. I just... loathe it so much.

I took the daughter to go see Boss Baby today, because she's been suckered in by all the ads.

It was ... okay. The animation was fun, lively, and colorful. The story was dumb and frenetic. Alec Baldwin earned a paycheck. I've been dragged to much worse (Norm of the North!) and honestly, if it's the worst movie I see all year, I'll take it.

Besides, before the movie they played this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbolz7UZCQ

Why yes, they *are* turning a simple, beloved children's classic into a 90-minute slapstick fest with John loving Cena as the voice of Ferdinand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
John Cena is cool, that's not bad casting.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

John Cena is cool, that's not bad casting.

As someone who does not watch wrestling, I appreciate getting a wrestling star to play a bull who does not want to fight. Its a cute choice and his voice work is pretty good. It may just be good directing, but his bit in the china shop is fun.

"You will bullieve" is unforgivable though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crazy Ferret posted:

"You will bullieve" is unforgivable though.

I can't bee-lieve they're using that lovely pun for the tagline.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love puns because they make people really angry instead of laugh

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Making goons angry is my raison d'être

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 3, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I love puns because they make people really angry instead of laugh

Puns are cool and good and I'll never understand why people scoff at how sophisticated the English language is.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Puns are the lowest form of humor meant for imbeciles and degenerates. That is why I love em.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hedrigall posted:

Making goons angry is my raison d'être

Well now I wanna hug you out of spite.

RE: The Ferdinand trailer:

I found it really odd that they went all in on this awe-inspiring, really tug at your heart strings approach to selling the film, only for the visuals to look like it's adapted from a Loony Toons short. Like, it feels really weird to say, but I'm almost disappointed they didn't go for a gag-heavy Dreamworks style trailer that seems tailor fit for the visuals presented. As for the film itself, I try to remain impartial until the final feature is released, but the trailer doesn't really inspire any enthusiasm to believe it will be great. I don't think it will be bad, but maybe particularly middle of the road like Sing or something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And that's no bull!

*Dusts off hands* Another hard day's work finished!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I like the Disney adaptation all right. It's mercifully shorter, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwYL-fxyus

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
So Boss Baby was number one at the box office this weekend, huh? Dreamworks sure is great at making posters with movies attached to them.

(I'm being too harsh, animators work hard and I'm sure there's some merit there)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's mostly because it was March and there's not a lot else going on.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
First animated movie since rock dog, first major studio animated movie since LEGO Batman and first directly family friendly movie since Beauty and the Beast is your answer to the question "how the gently caress did Boss Baby already make $50m"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

they wisely picked a slot where they're not competiting with a lot, also never underestimate the bad taste of the viewing public, why else would epic movie exist?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Robindaybird posted:

why else would epic movie exist?

To give Crispin Glover a paycheck so he could make more bizarre art movies.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMnV_eL-D7w

Invader Zim is coming back!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Jack is back
Hey Arnold is getting a new movie
Invader zim is coming soon.

Is this 2002 part 2?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasn't there talk last year of Rocko's Modern Life coming back too?

Fingers crossed for Angry Beavers next :kiddo:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wonder what's been spurring those recent cartoon revivals. Is it due to studios looking at the crazy money Hasbro's been making with My Little Pony and figuring they want a slice of the pie as well? Or is it another outgrowth of the nostalgia wave Disney's been riding with its recent live-action remakes?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm gonna swim against the current here and entertain the thought that there's a possibility that Boss Baby might not suck (?????)

I haven't seen it and won't get to for the forseeable future, but Alec Baldwin is pretty great and I loved Storks without expecting to, so maybe another CGI baby movie can also be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wonder what's been spurring those recent cartoon revivals. Is it due to studios looking at the crazy money Hasbro's been making with My Little Pony and figuring they want a slice of the pie as well? Or is it another outgrowth of the nostalgia wave Disney's been riding with its recent live-action remakes?

all the kids who loved those shows and bugged their parents to buy the merch are adults with spending power of their own now