Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There's a line missing in the last exchange, when 9S is talking about pride in service. Immediately following should be

You shut up, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Zore posted:

I mean, N64's did canonically exist in Nier's universe. Its explicitly our universe after Caim crashed into it in the mid-2000s in Drakengard Ending E and got shot down by a fighter jet over Tokyo.

That was a couple hundred years and multiple apocalypses ago at this point. :v:

Several Thousand actually. Is the exact passage of time considered a spoiler TDI?

ManlyGrunting posted:

If changing Hitler into "Fuhrer" and giving him aviator sunglasses in the re-release of Persona 2 is wrong, I don't ever want to be right. :colbert:

e: for reference:

No, I'm my original character...

That's Beautiful, I cant wait for the dude LPing 1 to get to 2.

Update 4 stuff:
Man all these metal gears jokes I dont get. Does the series actually have gundams or what and if so why have I never seen an image of them yet know most of the rest of the series? I cant play them myself due to absolutely despising the gameplay, its like an entire gameplay system based off that one ff7 mini game in the shinra tower that always took me 20 minutes as a kid.

I love that little moment where 9S yells "BOOOST!".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MythosDragon posted:

Update 4 stuff:
Man all these metal gears jokes I dont get. Does the series actually have gundams or what and if so why have I never seen an image of them yet know most of the rest of the series? I cant play them myself due to absolutely despising the gameplay, its like an entire gameplay system based off that one ff7 mini game in the shinra tower that always took me 20 minutes as a kid.

Short answer: the Metal Gears the games are named after are mobile nuke launchers that were designed by generations of massive otaku basically as an excuse to build Gundams and the occasional spider-tank.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Phantasy Star Online 2 has taught me, if nothing else, that 9S' outfit looks garbage as any other color than black. Aside from that, it's a surprisingly modest outfit. Not much to harp on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MythosDragon posted:

Several Thousand actually. Is the exact passage of time considered a spoiler TDI?

I could have sworn that one of the first opening scenes in N:A was the current year but I don't see it in TDI's first post so I may be misremembering.

Maybe it's post-prologue?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I could have sworn that one of the first opening scenes in N:A was the current year but I don't see it in TDI's first post so I may be misremembering.

It's the first scene after the prologue iirc.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The demo started with a given date, but not the main game.

I don't think we'll see anything that gives an exact date for a while, but I'm not too sure though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MythosDragon posted:

I don't feel like digging up the original two metal gear models from the MSX games, so here are the big ones from the Solid games.

This is Metal Gear REX, from MGS1 as it appears in MGS4:

This is the anti-REX, RAY, from MGS2 and also as it appears in MGS4:

This is Metal Gear ZEKE, from Peace Walker, the Metal Gear you get to procure parts for:

And here is Metal Gear Sahelanthropus, from MGSV:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I feel like I was the only person who immediately thought of Devastator instead of a metal gear or something. They even call it a transforming robot!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Man, 9S. Those are some gorgeous duds. And then you have to go ruin it all with those stupid short-shorts.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I feel like I was the only person who immediately thought of Devastator instead of a metal gear or something. They even call it a transforming robot!

The hunchback design made me think of a warlord titan from 40k at first. There's a few later scenes that just reinforce that view of them.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sum Gai posted:

Man, 9S. Those are some gorgeous duds. And then you have to go ruin it all with those stupid short-shorts.

Well, there is a rather unconventional way to fix that particular problem...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I always thought its face looked kind of Transformer-y

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah, he is a Robot In Disguise, after all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
At first I thought the face was tucked away when you first walk onto the inactive Engels, but no, if you look up his face is right there the whole time. The player isn't likely to be looking that way, though, so it's just a nice bit of warning for the extremely observant.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Those aren't belts, he's just wearing ski boots.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm guessing that Engels is able to use its giant laser beam even while in its stationary form, which is what took out the rest of our doomed squadron.

Now, what I wanna know is, why couldn't we have just stayed on top of Engels where it couldn't hit us and bash our way into its brain slowly from above.

On the other hand I think I know where those attacking Stubbies are coming from. Engels is a giant walking factory, right? It's probably producing more of them on the fly, like Master Mold.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 3, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Speedball posted:

I'm guessing that Engels is able to use its giant laser beam even while in its stationary form, which is what took out the rest of our doomed squadron.

Now, what I wanna know is, why couldn't we have just stayed on top of Engels where it couldn't hit us and bash our way into its brain slowly from above.

Video games.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Speedball posted:

The answer is probably air support and a really thick skull.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tarezax posted:

At first I thought the face was tucked away when you first walk onto the inactive Engels, but no, if you look up his face is right there the whole time. The player isn't likely to be looking that way, though, so it's just a nice bit of warning for the extremely observant.

Honestly it was kind of telegraphed just from the sudden lack of both music and enemies-- the only part that surprised me going through there was the double-bluff where it waits for you to actually get off of it, just long enough for you to say "oh okay I guess that's not going to spring to life directly underneath me" before it starts trying to kill you

White Coke
May 29, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Out of all the things I expected the first proper boss fight to be, it sure as hell wasn't a giant mech that used to be the better part of an oil refinery.

I'm also starting to think that Platinum could do some poo poo with the God of War license.

Before or after they finish Kingdom Hearts 3?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

Gundam Images

So despite knowing a dozen people that constantly talk about the nanomachines, memes, and vagina bombs, theyve somehow never mentioned the the giant hulking gundams. I need new friends, I'm almost tempted to try the games now.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think theres a scene immediately after that says the year plot happens, and then I think when you commit suicide in the 2nd best way you get a quick ending flash that mentions the current year. Its been like 2 weeks, so I might be misremembering.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MythosDragon posted:

So despite knowing a dozen people that constantly talk about the nanomachines, memes, and vagina bombs, theyve somehow never mentioned the the giant hulking gundams. I need new friends, I'm almost tempted to try the games now.

They're usually treated as the final bosses, you don't fight them regularly except in Metal Gear Revengence.

Coincidentally, the same team and producer did Automata

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Revengeance is an entirely different (read: better) game compared to the rest of the Metal Gear series. It's about what they all do after everybody realizes giant robots are a boondoggle (cyborg super soldiers, who have samurai duels with lightning swords.)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

wiegieman posted:

Revengeance is an entirely different (read: better) game compared to the rest of the Metal Gear series. It's about what they all do after everybody realizes giant robots are a boondoggle (cyborg super soldiers, who have samurai duels with lightning swords.)

Metal Gears still make everyone poo poo bricks, though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I mean, just because it's a tremendous waste of resources doesn't mean it's not *also* a highly mobile gun emplacement that can just Goomba-stomp you.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Plus not everyone is a grown up ex-child soldier super-cyborg with a suped-up body made by a german scientist (a potentially 'mad' scientist) who has a history of defeating metal gear's on foot.... Before he became a cyborg.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I like that the boss' giant buzzsaw arms are actually bucket wheel excavators in addition to the rest of the construction equipment, he's like 1 step away from literally being devastator.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Materant posted:

Metal Gears still make everyone poo poo bricks, though.

I mean, it was big terrifying unmanned drone, but that's Raiden's tutorial boss fight. The UMG Ray gets a literal giant laser and it still can't hold a candle to him, even in his outdated combat frame.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Not to distract from Metal Gear talk, but does anyone know of any VLPs of Automata that are decent?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My understanding is that Chip is one of the fan favorite VLPer's around here and I've heard several times that he plans to do this game. I cant personally vouch for his quality due to my aversion to any video longer than 30 seconds.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Chip's video of Demo is great.

TheDarkID, how many times did you replay the prologue??? It feels like way too many.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Today I was at Gamestop and I saw someone buying Mass Effect Andromeda instead of this game so I ran over and beat the poo poo out of them. Just my good deed for the day.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is a Platinum game, no doubts about it. Man, is Engels snazzy.

wiegieman posted:

I mean, it was big terrifying unmanned drone, but that's Raiden's tutorial boss fight. The UMG Ray gets a literal giant laser and it still can't hold a candle to him, even in his outdated combat frame.

To be fair, that was a Ray. Raiden had already dismantled about 20 of those in a row, and that was before becoming a breakdancing cyborg ninja. It would be like sending a goomba against Mario, by now it's breakfast.
To be even more fair, Rays suck. I mean, they were meant to be specialized Metal Gear hunters, and Metal Gear themselves so they could pursue their targets. Then in 4 you repair and pilot Rex against a Ray and win despite the supposed type disadvantage. Rays SUCK.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Those Marxes aren't actually buzzsaws, but rather bucket-wheel excavators. Apparently surface mining can require vehicles of immense size to efficiently remove coal and ore over large areas, which is why one such excavator (Bagger 293) holds the record for the heaviest land vehicle known to man.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

Those Marxes aren't actually buzzsaws, but rather bucket-wheel excavators. Apparently surface mining can require vehicles of immense size to efficiently remove coal and ore over large areas, which is why one such excavator (Bagger 293) holds the record for the heaviest land vehicle known to man.

Those don't actually remove the coal. They remove the "overburden", all the dirt and rock above the actual coal, so that you can get at it with more specialized tools.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Those don't actually remove the coal. They remove the "overburden", all the dirt and rock above the actual coal, so that you can get at it with more specialized tools.
Really? I was just looking at Wikipedia, so I'll take your word for it, but from what I could tell BWEs were used for some of the mining as well. (Check here for that discussion.)

Tenseki
Mar 30, 2011

quote:

9S Concept Art – Three belts on each of your boots. You androids grab those shoes from the Tetsuya Nomura Kingdom Hearts surplus supply?

As someone who used to work for a "fast fashion" shoe store, multiple buckles/belts on boots are apparently quite trendy, judging by the number of our stock with them.

'Course it was also primarily a women's shoe store, but hey, maybe the androids are cheap and 9S outfits at the same store as 2B. He just managed to pick 'em up the one day they had flats in stock.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Cybershell posted:

Today I was at Gamestop and I saw someone buying Mass Effect Andromeda instead of this game so I ran over and beat the poo poo out of them. Just my good deed for the day.

Andromeda is a pretty good game too
That and maybe they where crazy like me and bought both nier and andromeda :p
Edit:though to be fair I was planning on getting both since announcement and saved quite a sum just for that goal...
Though it still left me sort of in the red for the last month

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I own both Nier: Automata and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Come at me :colbert:

(:bisonyes: I've been waiting for this LP)

• Locked thread