Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Who the gently caress cares about the tank when togusa's live action mullet exists

E: THIS MOVIE IS poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the manga was very pretty and cool and told a more complete story than the American movie did.

I really want to stress how little they used of the source material to make the American movie. I don't know japanese so I'll never read the book, so someone else would have to point out that they used alot more for me.

I liked her giant helicopter blade sword from the movie better than the axe.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To draw comparisons, this feels like the Godzilla 2000 of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Collectively, the production makes clear that it understands that people like Ghost in the Shell, but can't demonstrate that it knows why. We get simple answers to complex questions and a stupid ending wrapped in a bow. “We cling to our memories as if they define us, but what we do defines us," says a person whose every waking moment is haunted and driven by memory, speaking as if this is high-concept, daring stuff. Every iconic Ghost in the Shell™ Thing is rammed sideways into the script. The only time this movie goes its own way to say its own thing is to reduce the concept to easily digestible pablum.

This level of comprehension also follows on the film-making. Sloppy editing and choreography are the most obvious problems. Particularly, the use of slow-mo is downright strange--I can only guess that someone thought I would like slow-mo for its own sake, rather than to see it serve a purpose in creating lasting imagery or to dwell on something interesting going on. Here it served to exacerbate the feeling that no one knew what they were doing, amid generally uninformative shot composition.

There are also several aborted story ideas that perhaps got chopped up to keep the runtime down, or forgotten about during rewrites. For example, the black hat gradually loses track of his motivation and, like the concept of the source material, transforms from a series of existential questions to a doodle.

Bottom line, if you're dying to see this movie I would recommend you just watch Blade Runner.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

So what you are saying is the movie is really "Cargo Cult in the Celluloid".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rough Lobster posted:

I liked her giant helicopter blade sword from the movie better than the axe.

They both fight with battle axes in the manga.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

To draw comparisons, this feels like the Godzilla 2000 of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. Collectively, the production makes clear that it understands that people like Ghost in the Shell, but can't demonstrate that it knows why. We get simple answers to complex questions and a stupid ending wrapped in a bow. “We cling to our memories as if they define us, but what we do defines us," says a person whose every waking moment is haunted and driven by memory, speaking as if this is high-concept, daring stuff. Every iconic Ghost in the Shell™ Thing is rammed sideways into the script. The only time this movie goes its own way to say its own thing is to reduce the concept to easily digestible pablum.

This level of comprehension also follows on the film-making. Sloppy editing and choreography are the most obvious problems. Particularly, the use of slow-mo is downright strange--I can only guess that someone thought I would like slow-mo for its own sake, rather than to see it serve a purpose in creating lasting imagery or to dwell on something interesting going on. Here it served to exacerbate the feeling that no one knew what they were doing, amid generally uninformative shot composition.

There are also several aborted story ideas that perhaps got chopped up to keep the runtime down, or forgotten about during rewrites. For example, the black hat gradually loses track of his motivation and, like the concept of the source material, transforms from a series of existential questions to a doodle.

Bottom line, if you're dying to see this movie I would recommend you just watch Blade Runner.

The funniest action bit was her wall running around a man with a gun, while the overhead shot reveals that the man had tracked her pefectly as she did so, and had not fired purely out of politeness.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

They both fight with battle axes in the manga.

I said it before but the original manga is not so hot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

frank.club posted:

I said it before but the original manga is not so hot.

I like how people tell me to take the manga serious when there's this big-titted clumsy mechanic as comic relief running around.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ghost in the shell was so boring the thread has moved away to discussion about another movie

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dear Prudence posted:

No it doesn't. I mean, not really. Major tells Aramaki to put her back on the radar so Kuze could find her. He says, this means that Cutter can find you too. She says she doesn't care. Then we get a scene of Cutter being told they've found Major and she's in the Lawless Zone. There's a brief back and forth about having snipers and choppers sent in with how long that would take. And then Cutter asks "Are there Spider Tanks close by?" and the person confirms. So it's not out of nowhere. Cutter very deliberately asked about them and they were confirmed closer and could get there faster than the snipers.

I was talking about the 95 movie with someone who claims the tank was foreshadowed.

Snowman_McK posted:

The funniest action bit was her wall running around a man with a gun, while the overhead shot reveals that the man had tracked her pefectly as she did so, and had not fired purely out of politeness.

One of the two people she entered the room closest to actually did fire, you can see one of her arms react from getting shot. I forget if it's the first or second dude that shoots her.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like GiTS95 but I acknowledge it's boring, slow and weirdly structured. I'd probably recommend GiTS17 over it, depending on how comfortable the person I'm recommending to is with anime.

Overall '17 has some smarter choices (more Batou, scenes with the doctors, more palatable pacing, the scene with the prostitute) and a great soundtrack and aesthetic. Johannssons' acting and the weird racial stuff kinda makes me uncomfortable. I also prefer the '95 version of Section feeling like a military base rather than a really nice hotel. Little things like that add up.

'17 is basically 80% of the '95 movie so you may as well just watch the original and then 17 if you're interested.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got back from seeing this. It was....not great. It could have probably been 20-30 minutes longer, and I might've enjoyed it more. My main bugbear is that right from the get-go we've got people telling Major that she is human, she's not the same as the other robots she's killing. Instead of watching the character develop and explore her identity, it feels like it mostly just comes from exposition from other characters.

The action sequences were all pretty forgettable, and I found something really off-putting about the way that Johansson moved. I don't know if it's something that she was doing for the character or if she naturally just lumbers around like that, but it didn't scream 'super lithe android' to me.

The whole thing was just super forgettable and a really big missed opportunity - it could have been so much more.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think she's doing toughguy posture but it just looks like she's hunched over.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

This movie is basically lady-robocop set in a cyberpunk future.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Young Freud posted:

I like how people tell me to take the manga serious when there's this big-titted clumsy mechanic as comic relief running around.

Man if that was enough to prevent someone from taking an anime seriously we couldn't take any anime seriously.

Don't take anime seriously.

But for real it's kinda funny that GITS managed to find a niche as a really cool scifi series considering it's humble beginnings as "an excuse for Shirow Masamune to draw his favorite thing: greased up titties"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Masamune Shirow in the 90s could still write a good story. Orion is cool little manga he wrote around the same time. BTW I had always thought the girl in Orion is how Shirow draw Asian and the Major in GitS is how Shirow draw blond.

Every time I see people cry about GitS get hosed by a Hollywood movie adaptation I want to remind them Neuromancer is still nowhere close to the silver screen. Talk about injustice.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

well why not posted:

I like GiTS95 but I acknowledge it's boring, slow and weirdly structured. I'd probably recommend GiTS17 over it, depending on how comfortable the person I'm recommending to is with anime.

Overall '17 has some smarter choices (more Batou, scenes with the doctors, more palatable pacing, the scene with the prostitute) and a great soundtrack and aesthetic. Johannssons' acting and the weird racial stuff kinda makes me uncomfortable. I also prefer the '95 version of Section feeling like a military base rather than a really nice hotel. Little things like that add up.

'17 is basically 80% of the '95 movie so you may as well just watch the original and then 17 if you're interested.

Totally agree with this post. I'm a much bigger fan of the show than the movies and was really worried the pacing would be too much like Gits95. I thought the look/feel of the movie was perfect, I haven't wanted to see more out of a movie franchise in a while and what they built in this makes me hope it at least makes enough to warrant a sequel.

The movie felt more like a mid season episode than an intro to the world, while I enjoy the lack of hand holding its like they made the movie thinking there were going to be a lot of sequels. Was Saito even in that first briefing?

While the fights werent ultra unique I thought they were entertaining and it was good to see some straight up gun battles in a movie without matrix'y shots or overuse of wire-fu. The theater I saw it in actually cranked up the volume and it was noticeably better than other action movies I've seen recently.

I do hope there's a directors cut that adds more meat to the characters, even if it slowed the movie down it could have developed them more for people who dont already know the series. If you look at Akira and how much more the manga adds to the story the pacing is much more enjoyable vs. an outsider seeing it for the first time. Part of me thinks they might have made the movie in the same vein where the weebs that enjoyed it back in the day are expected to assume portions of the story and people who just want to see pretty looking scifi fights arent bored.

I ended up liking it a lot and hope it makes enough money to hash out the characters more. There are some great multi-episode plot lines in the seasons that could be turned into solid movies which I'd like to see.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I haven't read the comics are watched the cartoons, so this is from the perspective of someone who went in fresh.

I kinda liked it. I was impressed with how tacky its future is. Blade Runner is still the go-to comparison for this sort of thing, and its dystopia is much more tasteful and stylish. Ghost in the Shell is well-composed cinematically, but all the future stuff, the ads, the servant robots, are all garish as hell and it's great. Completely unromanticized.

I really enjoyed Michael Pitt's performance and the look of his character. Had no idea he was in this. Scarlett Johansson is good at the more dramatic stuff, but never feels at home in the more action-oriented stuff, no matter how many stunt people and how much CGI they assist her with. Black Widow all over again. Takeshi Kitano and Pilou Asbæk added a lot, really magnetic during their limited screen time.

But generally a nice followup to the 2014 RoboCop. Worth seeing in a theater so that the awful cityscapes really tower over you, and for the more abstract scenes of dreams, hacking, birth, etc.

Not a huge deal that it's doing poorly since it's not like it needs a sequel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

I haven't read the comics are watched the cartoons, so this is from the perspective of someone who went in fresh.

I kinda liked it. I was impressed with how tacky its future is. Blade Runner is still the go-to comparison for this sort of thing, and its dystopia is much more tasteful and stylish. Ghost in the Shell is well-composed cinematically, but all the future stuff, the ads, the servant robots, are all garish as hell and it's great. Completely unromanticized.

The thing is that's an old trope these days as now. Idiocracy, The Zero Theorum, there's even this short called Hyperreality where everything is shot from POV in-your-face augmented reality.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I saw this on Friday and I enjoyed it. It's not perfect and it's a little slow at points, but even where it's slow at least it's fun to look at

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The thing is that's an old trope these days as now. Idiocracy, The Zero Theorum, there's even this short called Hyperreality where everything is shot from POV in-your-face augmented reality.

Iodicracy's trashiness is basically just slamming the poor. Ghost in the Shell's attack on garish branding is a lot more interesting to me.

Haven't seen the latter two.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Iodicracy's trashiness is basically just slamming the poor. Ghost in the Shell's attack on garish branding is a lot more interesting to me.

The moral of GitS '17 is that the future is very distracting.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Zero Theorem is trash. And Hyperreality is just "let's make fun of google glass in not well-thought out ways".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

freudorbison posted:

Supposedly the worldwide gross (including US) is around $59 million. At this point I'd be surprised if the box office totals didn't cover the production budget, but I highly doubt this will have much traction in the next few weeks.
And folks were trying to convince me that GitS was a household name. Do tweens even GitS?

GitS is well known because it's one of the few animes that conforms to the genre conventions of American nerd media and is thus accepted by American nerds, plus the 95 movie is interesting enough as a film that it's accepted by movie nerds

That's essentially all it has going for it. It's not a very good or interesting property in an absolute sense

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

icantfindaname posted:

GitS is well known because it's one of the few animes that conforms to the genre conventions of American nerd media and is thus accepted by American nerds, plus the 95 movie is interesting enough as a film that it's accepted by movie nerds

That's essentially all it has going for it. It's not a very good or interesting property in an absolute sense

Looking forward to the gritty reboot of My Neighbor Totoro.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Should have had more greasy PG13 lesbian sex...probably would have worked.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The best action sequence in the GitS universe is still the Playstation 1 game cut scene.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The movie would have been better if it had tits, exploding heads and an Asian lead.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Looking forward to the gritty reboot of My Neighbor Totoro.

There's a Naruto movie in production

gohmak posted:

The movie would have been better if it had tits, exploding heads and an Asian lead.

same

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I hope a lot of their budget didn't go into those annoying holograms. Everything would have looked great if they just left them out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like this six-minute video is more convincing and thoughtful as an uncomfortably-connected future than any of the Bargain Blade Runner stuff we got in GitS '17. I was reminded of it often when the movie settled for just inserting holographic women and animals into every shot that seem to serve no purpose other than to cause car accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I feel like this six-minute video is more convincing and thoughtful as an uncomfortably-connected future than any of the Bargain Blade Runner stuff we got in GitS '17. I was reminded of it often when the movie settled for just inserting holographic women and animals into every shot that seem to serve no purpose other than to cause car accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

Oof, just awful. Hyper-Reality's barrage of pop-up ads (so topical!) and complaints about kids on their darn phones is more second-rate Black Mirror than what Ghost in the Shell is doing.

Everybody sees the same holograms in the movie. They have nothing to do with concerns about an "uncomfortably-connected future," so it is silly to compare how convincing and thoughtful they are in addressing that topic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gohmak posted:

The movie would've been better if it was non-stop tachikoma adventures, but then again I say that about every Ghost in the Shell

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Everybody sees the same holograms in the movie. They have nothing to do with concerns about an "uncomfortably-connected future," so it is silly to compare how convincing and thoughtful they are in addressing that topic.

True, I wouldn't expect this movie to get deeper into topics like why physically-projected holograms designed for the consumption of people flying over the city are a thing when everyone is getting cybernetic eyeballs for their hijacked brains.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

True, I wouldn't expect this movie to get deeper into topics like why physically-projected holograms designed for the consumption of people flying over the city are a thing when everyone is getting cybernetic eyeballs for their hijacked brains.

I just assumed that it required implants or goggles to see.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's simple. It's Rupert Sanders masturbating on screen. They serve little purpose other than him showing off "his vision", as Scarlet Johannson breathlessly reminded us in the making of featurettes.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 4, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As I predicted, Ghost In The Shell 2017 is a stridently antiracist film that ends with a Malcom X reference.

The film also, as predicted, engages in overt criticism of the original film's ideology. Major is no longer an antichrist figure, but not elevated into a Christ figure either. She is 'merely' a leftist supercop. Singularity-worship is a literal dead end. The original claim that there is no difference between fantasy and reality is interrogated and then dismissed. You can go on like this.

The film as a whole is better-written than the original. (The complaints about the writing are... bizarre, to say the least). The 1995 film has nothing as subtle as Motoko's growth from a naive and ineffectual anarchoprimitivist to a hardcore socialist. The condensing of the puppetmaster, garbageman, and Corgi figures into a single character streamlines the narrative while generating additional nuance. Puppetmaster was merely callously exploiting the poor, but Kuze's choice to incarnate as a mind-wiped garbageman expresses a genuine self-hatred.

Young Freud posted:

There's a difference. This film is about hypereality, but the aesthetic is almost entirely Neill Blomkamp speculative realism. Much of the costume and production design distinctly resembles Elysium concept art.

The film takes the sci-fi concept of inexpensive holography and then simply gives it a socioeconomic context. Of course it would be used in advertising. But, more importantly, these holographic ads are straightforwardly the ideological fantasies of this world, writ large. The criticism here is both overt ("Building Better Families!") and subtle - like the massive holographic fishes that serve as a reference to the 2001 adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis. (Sanders is something of a cultural magpie, snatching the album art from Battles' Mirrored for the interrogation room scene). There's also a quick ref to Blomkamp's own Adicolor: Yellow short film.

Of course people ITT concluded that the massive sexbot-slave advertisements don't mean anything.

Like, why do billboards exist when you can't read them up close? Doesn't make sense.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 4, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well what do you know, GITS only made $18M this weekend and IGN are already calling the shots this flopped hard.

quote:

Ghost in the Shell had an underwhelming debut at the domestic box office, placing third with an estimated $19 million.

Paramount's live-action adaptation has a long way to go before reaching levels of profitability, and will have to rely on international success if it hopes to recoup its $110 million production budget. As noted by Variety, director Rupert Sanders' sci-fi film has eared $40.1 million from foreign markets thus far.

For more on Ghost in the Shell, find out what the director of the original 1995 anime movie thinks of the Scarlett Johansson-led adaptation, and don't miss this exclusive look at the making of the film.

Meanwhile, The Boss Baby ended Beauty and the Beasts' two-week streak as box office leader, placing first with an estimated $49 million. DreamWorks' animated film, which was projected to open to $30 million, just narrowly eclipsed Disney's live-action film, which slipped to second with an estimated $47.5 million.

This weekend also brought with it the limited release of The Zookeeper's Wife. The World War II-era drama starring Jessica Chastain placed tenth, earning $3.3 million across 541 locations.

Rounding out the top five are Power Rangers and Kong: Skull Island. Lionsgate's Mighty Morphin movie placed fourth with an estimated $14.5 million, while Warner's monster movie placed fifth with as estimated $8.8 million.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Most people in the world of the film don't have cybernetic eyes yet and, even if they did, there would be value in making things visible as part of actual reality, not something you have to convince people to view.

Which makes it more relevant as commentary, not making it about the online experience and Google Glass and poo poo. I don't see explicit ads on my computer. I do see them out in the real world. Because I can't run software to selectively edit my perception of the real world. Ghost in the Shell is way more interesting as speculation about the future than that Hyper-Reality poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve Yun posted:

The movie would've been better if it was non-stop tachikoma adventures, but then again I say that about every Ghost in the Shell

You've probably played the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game but if not you should play the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game because it's no bullshit you just roll around in a tachikoma and blow the gently caress out of everything and Production IG made about 10 minutes of original GitS 1995 style footage for the game too but with the manga's character designs. It's awesome.

• Locked thread