Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dizz posted:

My only complaint about that is that other towns and such remain untouched. The Divine Beasts somehow rampaged and in 100 years places like Zora Domain, Kakariko, Hateno, Goron area all seem like nothing changed. In OoT everything went to poo poo fast in seven years

I kinda like that each of the races that I've encountered so far are oppressed by the Divine Beasts/Calamity in some way. The Zoras being ironically flooded, the Rito not being allowed to fly around their town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spellman posted:

I kinda like that each of the races that I've encountered so far are oppressed by the Divine Beasts/Calamity in some way. The Zoras being ironically flooded, the Rito not being allowed to fly around their town.

Poor Rito. "Oh man I gotta walk like a mile before I can fly anywhere I want this is bullshit!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

Poor Rito. "Oh man I gotta walk like a mile before I can fly anywhere I want this is bullshit!"

lmao it's not even that, it's "if we fly above whatever height we get shot at"

I like to picture the Rito as a bunch of libertarian/sovcits yelling "I DO NOT CONSENT TO FLYING HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS" as they try and drop bombs on the god machine

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure the destruction was limited in its scale because Zelda restrained Ganon's power relatively quickly. Had she not returned to Hyrule Castle then the entire Kingdom would of been subject to Ganon's wrath. But by using her sealing power, she prevented his complete rebirth, which also seems to have caused the Guardians under his control to either fall dormant or assume routine patrols. The Divine Beasts weren't active during those 100 years; its repeatedly stated that they only began to function again recently, presumably because Ganon is close to regaining his true strength.

Not to say there aren't some pretty clear flaws in this world design. Like how the game says Eldin bridge being raised is keeping Rudania on top of Death Mountain. I'm not sure why the giant lava proof machine would need a bridge to cross a lava pool.

I'm guessing it's lavaproof but when the lava cools it starts hardening, causing probable malfunction.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lmao it's not even that, it's "if we fly above whatever height we get shot at"

I like to picture the Rito as a bunch of libertarian/sovcits yelling "I DO NOT CONSENT TO FLYING HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS" as they try and drop bombs on the god machine

Can you tell me where exactly Rito air begins and ends? Why am I being detained for wanting to eat poultry!?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LBW, the previous Zelda, has a far better ending. After you defeat Ganon it pretty much says The End. Then after the credits you get a couple bland cutscenes. This game does not have a good finish at all. You are kidding yourself if you think it does.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A Voe may not enter our city.

AM I BEING DETAINED? I DO NOT CONSENT!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm at least 120hrs in and I still have two ??? under my abilities in the control section. One under Charged Attacks and one under Perfect Guard.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

LBW, the previous Zelda, has a far better ending. After you defeat Ganon it pretty much says The End. Then after the credits you get a couple bland cutscenes. This game does not have a good finish at all. You are kidding yourself if you think it does.

I thought the ending was really nice, when taken with the story segments.

Now that I think about it, what are most people's favorite Zelda stories? I love Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask (in that order) and think they'll always be tops for me but I might be forgetting something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People would probably sympathize with the Rito more if anytime you opened your glider in their territory, you immediately got fried by a laser beam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i am not creating joinder with the laser. am i being detained???

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dizz posted:

My only complaint about that is that other towns and such remain untouched. The Divine Beasts somehow rampaged and in 100 years places like Zora Domain, Kakariko, Hateno, Goron area all seem like nothing changed. In OoT everything went to poo poo fast in seven years

The beast just showed back up. Its not explianed, or I missed it, but the death mountain one just showed up to gently caress with mining. The desert one just wandered back and they are worried it will wander closer. The other 2 have lines saying they came to gently caress stuff up recently.

I dont know if its connected to link wakin? But I seem to remember Impa saying something about zeldas power weakening so the beasts are going crazy, or were released somehow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I suppose if you're only looking at the post-final boss ending cutscenes it's pretty threadbare, and sure, I'd have liked to see little scenes with the various NPCs who helped me along the way. But at the same time, taken as a whole--the build-up to Hyrule Castle, fighting through the castle and the final boss were all good. I didn't even mind the Dark Beast Ganon part--sure, it's basically just an interactive cutscene, but I think that's all it was supposed to be. I thought it was a satisfying conclusion. I wouldn't say no to more, and I can't imagine how tiny the ending must seem if you didn't get all the memories.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Waltzing Along posted:

Then kidding yourself sounds loving awesome, and whatever you have going on sounds like poo poo. Ignorance and delusion forever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GobiasIndustries posted:

Now that I think about it, what are most people's favorite Zelda stories? I love Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask (in that order) and think they'll always be tops for me but I might be forgetting something

LBW is definitely my favorite. Link sacrificing for the greater good was a really nice cherry on top of a splendid game.
LA is awesome, of course.
LoZ2 is great cuz you get some action. Don't need a cutscene if Link gets his dick wet.
I think I liked the end of PH, but it may have been ST.
WW had a better ending than BOTW, too. I think TP and SS did, as well.

BOTW is an amazing game. But compared to other Zeldas that are more flawed it really suffers. It has shite dungeons. Limited enemies. And a horsefuck ending. I hate SS but those three things are far better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GobiasIndustries posted:

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker have the best stories, definitely

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't remember Link loving his horse in the ending. Is that unlocked when you get all 900 Korok seeds?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

BOTW is an amazing game. But compared to other Zeldas that are more flawed it really suffers. It has shite dungeons. Limited enemies. And a horsefuck ending. I hate SS but those three things are far better.

Can't really disagree on those criticisms (except the ending, which I still think was good so long as "the ending" includes the whole climactic showdown too). The game needs more enemy types and, while I like the concept behind the dungeons, they're just too small and simple to be satisfying Zelda dungeons.

I really hope their next game keeps the physics sandbox aspect that Breath of the Wild has, and the spirit of exploration and player freedom (even if it doesn't end up being quite as totally nonlinear) but brings back full dungeons. I love dungeons only a little bit less than I love BotW's wide-open exploration.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wind Waker, for me. It has my favorite Ganondorf, a really charming setting, memorable characters, and a pretty great climax/ending. Love it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I love that I'm still discovering things on a second playthrough. I already knew that you could have a fairy help you cook food to add a healing bonus, but they can contribute to an elixir too as the "critter" (they still fly off after). It makes a fairy tonic! :3:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i wonder if gorons enjoy sleeping on gravel.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh shoot, yeah Wind Waker was great too. With 30ish shrines left to go and having completed the plot, I think I'll switch over to either Wind Waker HD or Link Between Worlds. I've been running around aimlessly for a bit and don't feel like grinding a ton right now, it'll be nice to pick up something I haven't played much. I had one playthrough of each. I also need to finish the Oracle games at some point, I don't think I ever ended up completing them when they came out.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

i wonder if gorons enjoy sleeping on gravel.

The Memory Foam of the Goron people

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spellman posted:

The Memory Foam of the Goron people

yeah but its like sleeping on a ton of apples, isn't it?

unrelated:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

Majora's Mask had the best overall story, although it already gets a bit of a jump on most of them by dint of not being pre-saddled with the "Link + Zelda > Ganon(dorf)" archline. Some people really hated the rewind mechanic but I remain a fan of being able to use it to have a fully-fleshed-out, "people interact with each other offscreen even if the player isn't there to witness it and you can miss things 'forever' for that 3 day window without it being a problem" kind of deal. Even "little" things like getting to the ranch and finding out what happens if you're not around to help Romani on Day 2 made it feel like things mattered and it wasn't just "questgiver sitting around in stasis until the player character gets around to accepting the quest".

Also you're a monster if, before fighting the final boss, you didn't do one last 3-day cycle to save everyone that you possibly could in one go :colbert:

Harrow posted:

Wind Waker, for me. It has my favorite Ganondorf, a really charming setting, memorable characters, and a pretty great climax/ending. Love it.

Windwaker Ganondorf remains hands-down The Best Ganondorf from any entry in the series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have terrible sense of scale, how big are the leviathan skeletons compared to a blue whale's?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wind waker ganon owns

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saved and quit after fast traveling somewhere. About three hours later I found myself around Tabantha Stable, and I discovered my Stalhorse still there, alive and waiting. The game remembered, but didn't kill him during the day since I wasn't there.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I have terrible sense of scale, how big are the leviathan skeletons compared to a blue whale's?

They're probably 2-3x bigger though obviously based on whale skeletons (except for the Eldin one which has a really peculiar head). The heads are somewhere in the order of 50-60 feet long. Begs the question how whales ended up in those locations.

The Wind Waker happened

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FooF posted:

They're probably 2-3x bigger though obviously based on whale skeletons (except for the Eldin one which has a really peculiar head). The heads are somewhere in the order of 50-60 feet long. Begs the question how whales ended up in those locations.

The Wind Waker happened

Timeline convergence looking more and more confirmed every day

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

parallelodad posted:

OoT Hyrule seemed fine. All the buildings were intact. Kakariko was BIGGER than before. Lon Lon ranch had been converted to a successful business. The roads were all safer with now no Stalchilds or peahats, only ghosts that run away from you. The only real collateral were the Zora got frozen. The gorons also got kidnapped but that seems like it happened maybe a day before Link got there. I guess Ganon put a couple zombies in the plaza?

Not really, Hyrule Castle and Town is completely destroyed and no one is alive, Kakariko is the same size save for one building that got built but Dampe is dead, Goron City is barren, Zora's Domain is frozen and Jabu Jabu is seemingly dead, Lake Hylia's drained, Death Mountain has perpetual fire circling around it. Ganondorf hosed poo poo up. Talon's also a bum. It's not Skullkid levels of chaos, but Ganondorf put in work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bombadilillo posted:

I dont know if its connected to link wakin? But I seem to remember Impa saying something about zeldas power weakening so the beasts are going crazy, or were released somehow.

The guardians are autonomous and continued running around mindlessly for 100 years. The Beasts need pilots, which are the bosses you fight. They were unable to remanifest until Zelda's power began to wane. At which point, Zelda realized that she couldn't afford to wait anymore before waking Link up.

Also the reason there aren't any dungeons in Hyrule is because 100 years ago Link is so badass that when he beat the dungeons they self destructed in shame. Dungeon seppuku.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

So I finally did the Yiga hideout after pussyfooting around it for 90+ hours and like 20 pages of this thread and it sucked at first because those guards really do have an insane line of sight. I was expecting it to be like older Zeldas and once you got past one he effectively didn't matter anymore but NOPE. So the next go around I just sniped them all with Ancient Arrows. gently caress you, suckers! Someone mentioned there seemed to be one by a pillar and there is indeed a stationary guard by a pillar. But I killed him from above too!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

FooF posted:

The Wind Waker happened

The one in Eldin is absolutely Levias. Compare: (spoilered for people who want to find the skeleton themselves, I guess)

The other two are probably Jabu Jabu and the Wind Fish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FooF posted:

The Wind Waker happened

Eldin one is Helmasaur King. The others could be any of the Wind Fish, Levias, and Jabu Jabu

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Lobster posted:

So I finally did the Yiga hideout after pussyfooting around it for 90+ hours and like 20 pages of this thread and it sucked at first because those guards really do have an insane line of sight. I was expecting it to be like older Zeldas and once you got past one he effectively didn't matter anymore but NOPE. So the next go around I just sniped them all with Ancient Arrows. gently caress you, suckers! Someone mentioned there seemed to be one by a pillar and there is indeed a stationary guard by a pillar. But I killed him from above too!

I was never able to sneak through so I climbed up top and ran behind the alcove with the roof hiding thingy. I just sniped the hell out of most of 'em with arrows and bombs since they wouldn't spawn where the chest was (i.e close enough to physically hit me). Cheesed the hell out of it but whatever

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

People would probably sympathize with the Rito more if anytime you opened your glider in their territory, you immediately got fried by a laser beam.

How many laser parries does it take to kill a Divine Beast? I'm sure someone would find out.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Was able to summon a second Epona after callously not registering the first. Me and Epona got roasted by a flying Guardian. The horse goddess could do nothing because I didn't make it to a stable AGAIN

*Wait, I can load another save, thank gently caress

Spellman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Goodbye forever, snow bowling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYsNVxsWfFI

Linked for spoilers.