Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Megabound posted:

Had some strange toilet placement in a hotel I stayed at recently

Why bother with a toilet at all? With the shower there you can just poo poo on the drain and waffle stomp anything that needs help getting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Powershift posted:

But what if a cat gets stuck in your wall. It'll prevent the door from opening and you'll be trapped in the bathroom.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Forer posted:

didn't mean "lol firefighters too stupid to smash doors!!!!", I meant if a person was in the bathroom and the door opened outwards, the hallrubble might block and be unable to be unblocked by the person who's trapped in the room.

Sliding door seems like it might have something get in the jam and then welp good luck hope you don't die of smoke inhalation by the time the firefighter gets in with an axe.

I have one of these in my apartment building, they're basically hollow, a 10 year old could break through one if he tripped and fell into it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Atticus_1354 posted:

Interior barn doors can be done well with proper trim to fill the gap, but the no lock can still be a problem. But they really only fit in a ranch house or cabin.

We had one of these in a New Orleans hotel, and it sucked. No proper trim, and the rail was a bit tilted so it would slide itself back open unless you carefully nudged it into the sweet spot.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

As a soon to be home owner:

Barn doors are loving stupid and need to go the way of shag carpet, those glass bricks, and baby poop green wall paint.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Actually, those glass bricks are cool, and good

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Actually, those glass bricks are cool, and good

I will bash you in the skull with one.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mustached Demon posted:

I will bash you in the skull with one.

How can you not like a timeless design like this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Volcott posted:

I wonder how often those curved tube lights need to be replaced, and how much they cost? Wow.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Volcott posted:

Pictured: where Donald Trump Jr snorts coke.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder how often those curved tube lights need to be replaced, and how much they cost? Wow.

>Neon can last decades. In practical terms the expected life span is between 8 to 15 years for a neon sign powered on 24 hours per day. You should not, under any circumstance, place your neon sign outside.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mustached Demon posted:

Not enough lovely gold furnishings

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Volcott posted:

Golden Girls reboot is looking terrible.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Facebook Aunt posted:

Neon, so infrequent replacement and a few hundred bucks for manufacturing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mustached Demon posted:

But I don't see Ivanka in that picture???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Volcott posted:

>Neon can last decades. In practical terms the expected life span is between 8 to 15 years for a neon sign powered on 24 hours per day. You should not, under any circumstance, place your neon sign outside.

`Nemesis posted:

Neon, so infrequent replacement and a few hundred bucks for manufacturing

That's much better than I expected. BRB, redecorating my apartment as a Miami Vice shrine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Volcott posted:

Ditch the coloured lighting and the terrible plant arrangement (which isn't a fixture anyway), and re-paint the pillars and I'd live there :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like glass blocks and I like neon lamps, but that combination does not work for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually replace the glass-top table too I don't get glass-top tables.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

All of it deserves HF.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mustached Demon posted:

idgi, that doesn't resemble Ivanka's rear end? :confused:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nenonen posted:

idgi, that doesn't resemble Ivanka's rear end? :confused:

Jr slicks his hair back like he's an 80s business man.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

I thought Jon Tester was missing his middle two fingers, but I was remembering wrong.

One pinky more than my grandpa!

that guy should get some x-fingers or something like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mustached Demon posted:

All of it deserves HF.

I agree, hydrofluoric acid is an excellent solution.

:v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Imagine sitting in a bus and then some 800 kg paper rolls travel towards your head at 150 km/h.

http://i.imgur.com/fOUgLBL.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/plc4qpg.gifv

Death toll: 23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konginkangas_bus_disaster

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 3, 2017

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Forer posted:

didn't mean "lol firefighters too stupid to smash doors!!!!", I meant if a person was in the bathroom and the door opened outwards, the hallrubble might block and be unable to be unblocked by the person who's trapped in the room.
Grandpa having a stroke on the shitter and slumping against the inward-opening door is going to be the more likely scenario.

Or what do I know, there is no geological activity at all where I live

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Holy poo poo that gave me a severe case of sweaty palms.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cyberbug posted:

Grandpa having a stroke on the shitter and slumping against the inward-opening door is going to be the more likely scenario.

Or what do I know, there is no geological activity at all where I live

I have a book on stories from undertakers/morticians/funeral directors (whatever terminology you want to use), and one of them was a situation like that. The door was blocked and there was an awful smell coming from the bathroom, so everyone knew someone had died in there but nobody could get in. They ended up bashing a hole in the opposite wall and the mortician who arrived to the scene (being the smallest and not wearing bulky firefighter gear) stripped to his skivvies and wiggled through the hole into the plastic bathtub to see what was going on. Yep, tall and fat man had fallen so his body was against the door and his legs were against the tub, forming a perfect doorjamb.

Hilariously, he had narrowly stopped an overzealous firefighter from taking a chainsaw to the door.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The could probably have sawed it above head height and made a gap big enough to at least peek through. Or carefully drill a hole and insert a dentist's mirror to see where's safe to cut.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

My tiny apartment has a sliding door on the bathroom and it works really well. The door sort of disappears into the wall when it is open, so it takes up no space at all.

Like this.

The downside is you can't drive a nail through that part of the wall because the door is in there. And it's probably a bit of a pain to instal the kind that disappear into an existing wall, you'd have to tear out part of the wall and reframe it.

We have one of these doors between the kitchen and dining room. What do you need to drive a nail through the wall for? We have pictures on the wall with the door behind it just fine. I used a Hercules hook, but I can't imagine any type of picture or whatever that would need a nail so big as to interfere with the door - unless you're like my mother-in-law who uses 16d framing nails for this task.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Kennel posted:

Imagine sitting in a bus and then some 800 kg paper rolls travel towards your head at 150 km/h.

http://i.imgur.com/fOUgLBL.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/plc4qpg.gifv

Death toll: 23
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konginkangas_bus_disaster

This is the first post in this thread that's made me go "WHAT THE gently caress" out loud. Because, seriously, what the gently caress was wrong with that truck driver?!?!!! Fairly sure criminal negligence doesn't half cover it when he didn't even seem to be making the slightest effort to slow down and get his load under control. And was the bus driver completely distracted?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ambaire posted:

This is the first post in this thread that's made me go "WHAT THE gently caress" out loud. Because, seriously, what the gently caress was wrong with that truck driver?!?!!! Fairly sure criminal negligence doesn't half cover it when he didn't even seem to be making the slightest effort to slow down and get his load under control. And was the bus driver completely distracted?

Clicking through to the Wiki article, you'll find this pretty relevant passage:

quote:

The accident occurred when the trailer of the southbound truck began a soft swerving movement on black ice, which intermittently covered the highway at its sloughs and troughs. The trailer first swerved to the right; to correct this, the driver counter-steered the vehicle. This led to a loss of control of both the pulling truck and its trailer. The trailer continued its slide across the icy pavement and into the oncoming lane until the hinge locked at a ninety-degree angle with the pulling truck. The northbound bus had no way of escaping, as this happened at the moment of passing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I recently moved to the Caribbean which is like living in an OSHA film but my favorite thing so far is when my boss described trying to kill termites by tipping over a bunch of 55 gallon drums of sulfuric acid onto them on top of a steeply inclined driveway

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Essentially it falls down to excessive speed- in black ice conditions the driver should not have been going 90 kph, especially haling tandems with that much weight in the rear trailer. My drivers haul a lot of paper rolls, and they are not a thing to gently caress around with, especially in snowy/icy conditions- they usually weigh 9000lbs/4100kg apiece and simply cannot be secured to the trailer aside from putting down friction mats, so of the trailer rolls, takes a sharp turn, or stops too suddenly they will go through the outer skin and scatter wherever Newtonian physics wants them to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ambaire posted:

As a general rule if you have a trailer that you're losing control of you want to put tension on the hitch so it's being pulled straight. Ideally you do this by braking the trailer without braking the truck, but if the trailer's out of control because of ice that may not be effective. At that point if you don't have enough spare power and traction at the truck end to tug it straight you're along for the ride.

The fact that he got in to that situation in the first place is pretty clear evidence he was going too fast initially, but once the sequence of events is started there may not have been much he could do to help it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should have people hold on to the paper rolls in the back so they don't get out of control. The people can wear harnesses with bungee cords so they can jump out of the way if the rolls get too spicy for the pepper

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Fast and the Furious: Nokia Drift lookin' good

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
http://www.kmov.com/story/35055126/emergency-crews-responding-after-incident-causes-damage-in-south-city

quote:

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Three people were killed and four were injured when a boiler exploded in Soulard.

Fire Chief Dennis Jenkerson said a large boiler exploded at the Loy-Lange Box Company in the 220 block of Russell Boulevard Monday morning. The boiler, described as a being about the size of a van, then crashed into the administrative area of the Faultless Healthcare Linen building, located in the 2030 block of Broadway.

Jenkerson said one person at the Loy-Lange Box Company and two people from the Faultless Healthcare Linen building were killed during the explosion.

One person was trapped under the hot boiler at the Faultless Healthcare Linen building when emergency crews arrived, according to Jenkerson. He also said that person was taken to the hospital in very critical condition. Two other people from the building sustained serious injuries.

One person from inside the Loy-Lange Box Company was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

Here's the boiler's trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ambaire posted:

And was the bus driver completely distracted?

The animation doesn't show it but it was 2 AM (and a rural road without light posts).