Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FauxGateau posted:

I would go crucifix because even though it's split damage you can buff it with human pine resin or dark blade.

Human pine resin sounds so hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is there anything good to lightning infuse? I got 24/10 on my physical stats so probably nothing

e: oh hey thats exactly the great machete. But I already have the earth seeker

The Dragonslayers Axe is an old standby. I heard Lothric Ultragreatsword is a solid choice too. I can vouch for the axe being really good at least, and it's weapon skill overwrites buffs anyway so you're not really losing anything by infusing it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is a stupid question but it's driving me nuts. Isn't there a bonfire in the swamp after the road of sacrifice? Like, on a hilll near the those poison mushroom guys and the guys that stab at you with logs. I literally could have sworn there was one there but I don't see it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Another thing I'm rediscovering on my fresh playthrough: goddamn Irithyll is an awesome area to explore

EDIT: lol, Sulyvahn glitched out in his second phase and stopped attacking entirely.

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 3, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does the giant armored fatass in High Wall of Lothric have a unique drop?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

veni veni veni posted:

This is a stupid question but it's driving me nuts. Isn't there a bonfire in the swamp after the road of sacrifice? Like, on a hilll near the those poison mushroom guys and the guys that stab at you with logs. I literally could have sworn there was one there but I don't see it.

The ramp up is near the slugs and the door you need to open (best place to get heavy gems btw)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Node posted:

Nah, he's just a regular Angel Knight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Node posted:

He can drop his halberd but that's it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

FauxGateau posted:

I would go crucifix because even though it's split damage you can buff it with human pine resin or dark blade.

Guess ill just go for it then. Anyone want to help me transfer the weapon to my faith build? Steam name is same as SA name. edit: oh right and if you need some item i can like totally give it for free for the service.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 3, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

There are actually two in the swamp before you open the door. One is after the second torch, across a bridge with 3 of the weird fungus rides that are totally not the fishermen from Old Hunters. The other is in the stone building that has the covenant in it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Augus posted:

There are actually two in the swamp before you open the door. One is after the second torch, across a bridge with 3 of the weird fungus rides that are totally not the fishermen from Old Hunters. The other is in the stone building that has the covenant in it.

Wrong swamp. Yes, there's a bonfire in the swamp that isn't poisonous, on top of a hill. It's close to the building leading to the Crystal Sage.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is the only way to get the Ringed Knight's set for them to randomly drop it? Where's the best place to farm it?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Everybody doing spear of the church stuff is repping the biggest heaviest weapons they can muster. Like 90% of people are using ultra greatswords.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Is the only way to get the Ringed Knight's set for them to randomly drop it? Where's the best place to farm it?

Probably from the Streets bonfire after you've opened the shortcut. You can drop down to the sunken chapel and fight the lone knight around the corner, then use the Coiled Sword Fragment to return to the bonfire and repeat.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
"the world began without knowledge, and without knowledge it will end" is such a cosmically harsh burn that i think it covers a whole school of thought instead of just one guy. It could be referring to Aldia, Oceiros, Orbeck, or Seath, but even in Dark Souls it seems that investigating the universe doesn't change you being trapped in its material conditions. That's a pretty good line for a loving video game poem.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow. I've actually had the exact same thought before. Totally agree. At the very least I'd be really disappointed if it was generic sci fi. It would have to be weird to some degree.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne seem super influenced by early fantasy and horror, like Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Howard (the Conan guy). I wonder if that's what Miyazaki struggled to read in English as a kid, like he talked about in that famous interview. So when i think of sci fi souls I imagine like very early sci-fi, the John Carter and Voyage to Arcturus type of stories that used a lot of pure imagination in an unformed genre. Stolid victorian people getting pulled away from their whist and seances to become naked gods on Mars, radioactive swords, grafted-on psychic organs, metal lakes that kill by music, witches that make a tentacle of erectile tissue grow out of your heart if you think about them hornily... thats the good poo poo

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vermain posted:

Probably from the Streets bonfire after you've opened the shortcut. You can drop down to the sunken chapel and fight the lone knight around the corner, then use the Coiled Sword Fragment to return to the bonfire and repeat.

Is the drop-rate as super loving rare as it seems? I definitely have killed a ton of Ringed Knights en route to clearing the DLC, and I haven't seen a single piece yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh cool, I'm fighting a giant dragon! Oh no I'm doing like 200 damage at best unless I hit its head. Oh double no, it can also mega explode and instantly kill me. Not that I had estus left.

I wish he'd just do his cool anime laser attack forever, that's easy to dodge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Time_pants posted:

Is the drop-rate as super loving rare as it seems? I definitely have killed a ton of Ringed Knights en route to clearing the DLC, and I haven't seen a single piece yet.

It's just random. I've cleared a decent number of them and have 3 pieces of the set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

swamp waste posted:

Dark Souls and Bloodborne seem super influenced by early fantasy and horror, like Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Howard (the Conan guy). I wonder if that's what Miyazaki struggled to read in English as a kid, like he talked about in that famous interview. So when i think of sci fi souls I imagine like very early sci-fi, the John Carter and Voyage to Arcturus type of stories that used a lot of pure imagination in an unformed genre. Stolid victorian people getting pulled away from their whist and seances to become naked gods on Mars, radioactive swords, grafted-on psychic organs, metal lakes that kill by music, witches that make a tentacle of erectile tissue grow out of your heart if you think about them hornily... thats the good poo poo

Yeah. That's why when I think Sci fi Souls it's like "ewwww" because I'm thinking like Mass Effect or military bro Sci Fi. But when I think about really outrageous sci fi like Fantastic planet or Zardoz or heavy Metal magazine stuff I feel like that could work.

I'm honestly surprised that style hasn't been aped more by games but mark my words, it's coming soon.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

veni veni veni posted:

when you get to the bottom of the hill from the halfway fortress, head left and stay out of the water. when you come to the big open door where the dog attacks you, immediately head to your right and up the hill behind you and the bonfire is there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i absolutely loved the more off the wall, older sci-fi stuff and would hope that if from wanted to do a full sci-fi game that they would choose a setting along those lines

on a related note, if anyone likes roguelikes then caves of qud really super heavily draws from those old books in a great way. probably the only game i know of offhand that does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkEOaDD2ko

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, in proper internet posting fashion I found it 2 seconds after I posted that. it's a weirdly placed bonfire and I remembered it being right next to those spore guys.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I have to say that I was expecting to finish the DLC and be ready to put DkS3 down and walk away, especially since they added in +3 rings that were objective upgrades over the +2 versions of the rings I intended to get, but gently caress me, did the DLC ever get me eager for more. I'm absolutely stoked for another playthrough, and I'm just trying to figure out what stuff I need to grab before moving on.

I do wish that the DLC had come with some way to respec without being limited to 5 per run, but whatever. I guess I'll just deal.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sci-fi dark souls in my mind is basically the recent PROPHET comic series reboot. that poo poo was off the chain

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Just had someone invade me at the first giant on the bridge. They were using the Giant Door Shields and the Obscuring Ring and it was a great invasion. I got pincushioned by dozens of arrows when their trap was sprung. 10/10 would die again.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The +3 rings are only the most marginal of improvements over the +2s. If you already have +2 rings they aren't much. They seem to really just exist to let you get the best possible Favor/Havel's/Chloranthy buffs without needing to play through the game multiple times, which is cool of From.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any real reason to level vit for the fast roll? I'm trying to justify this stupid build I'm working on where I dump over 10 levels into vit for the fast roll and its just making me feel stupid. I don't think it even has any impact other than roll distance.

Its just like, I don't think there's any benefit to having 30.01% weight versus 69.99% either. So why wear all this light armour if I'm not gonna be fast rolling?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any real reason to level vit for the fast roll? I'm trying to justify this stupid build I'm working on where I dump over 10 levels into vit for the fast roll and its just making me feel stupid. I don't think it even has any impact other than roll distance.

Its just like, I don't think there's any benefit to having 30.01% weight versus 69.99% either. So why wear all this light armour if I'm not gonna be fast rolling?

fast roll lets you run away while dodging faster. kind of useful for pure mages in pvp but not really.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The long roll is really good (although I have a habit of launching myself off cliffs by accident). I do wish there was an extra level or two of rolling in order to justify it. Maybe 25/50/75/100%.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of crazy how much picking the knight puts the game on easy mode at the beginning. Played for maybe 3 hours tonight and got through what probably took me 10+ with my dagger guy the last time I played it. granted I like to meander a lot the first time I play through a Souls game and the fact that I have already played it counts for something, but I suck and still maybe died 4 times total in the process of busting out the first 4 bosses and I still mostly felt like I was taking my sweet time with everything. Although that's probably short lived because iirc the bosses mostly get a lot harder after that sorcerer guy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Midir is a fat rear end in a top hat and he's sitting on my souls. I hate him.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. That's why when I think Sci fi Souls it's like "ewwww" because I'm thinking like Mass Effect or military bro Sci Fi. But when I think about really outrageous sci fi like Fantastic planet or Zardoz or heavy Metal magazine stuff I feel like that could work.

I'm honestly surprised that style hasn't been aped more by games but mark my words, it's coming soon.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hyperlight Drifter or Transistor. Or, society as described in a William Gibson novel that has teetered over the edge and is now in the midst of an apocalypse.

The shaved pubic hair aesthetic of Mass Effect would not suit FROM at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

The shaved pubic hair aesthetic of Mass Effect

:catstare:

What does that even mean, man. I mean, what the hell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

il serpente cosmico posted:

The shaved pubic hair aesthetic of Mass Effect would not suit FROM at all.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think they are talking about how clean and sterile everything in the Mass Effect setting tends to look. A very odd way of saying that though.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:wink:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Quick question: I got the old cell key in the Ilrythil Dungeon, but I haven't found what unlocks the 2 doors in the first area of that dungeon, and I do not even know where Siegward's cell is. Do I get to take care of those later, after the Profane Capital bonfire? Or did I miss something earlier?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes to Siegward, can't remember about the locked doors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Regarding Siegward, yes, there's more to do in the Profaned Capital. Just explore the area in full and you'll see what I mean. If you haven't actually found Siegward in the dungeon itself, check the ground floor of the pit where your sleeping giant friend lies. Not sure about the former.

edit: beat

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The cell key is a different key. Old Cell is for Siegward, there's another key elsewhere that opens the cells in the first part. Can't for the life of me remember where the hell it is though. There should be three keys: One early one that opens a shortcut, the one for Siegward, and the one for the cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Node posted:

Quick question: I got the old cell key in the Ilrythil Dungeon, but I haven't found what unlocks the 2 doors in the first area of that dungeon, and I do not even know where Siegward's cell is. Do I get to take care of those later, after the Profane Capital bonfire? Or did I miss something earlier?

The other locked doors are opened by the Jailer's Key. It's close to where Siggy is.