Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
U.S. mulls F-35s for Taiwan deal

If you're going to get them invaded could you at least not do it by selling them a bunch of those piece of poo poo airplanes. :cripes:

That's one way to put it...

quote:

To: TigerLikesRooster

This should add some spice to Xi’s visit to Mar-a-Lago.

3 posted on 04/02/2017 7:24:16 AM PDT by 9YearLurker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Haha even Freepers hate the F-35

quote:

The flying moonpig? They would be FAR better off with F-16s and F-15se. This 35 is not a machine that is good enough.

5 posted on 04/02/2017 7:30:08 AM PDT by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up.)

quote:

For one thing, the sad excuse for a gun in it doesn’t work yet. The software for the sight isn’t up.
Pilots under 136 pounds are prohibited because the ejection seat will injure them badly or kill them. 136 to 165, there is a seriously elevated injury risk compared to older legacy fighters. So Taiwan also needs heavier pilots.

6 posted on 04/02/2017 7:36:34 AM PDT by DesertRhino (Dog is man's best friend, and moslems hate dogs. Add that up.)

quote:

Wouldn’t it be better to sell the F35 to enemies ,LOL

8 posted on 04/02/2017 7:39:40 AM PDT by butlerweave

Are we sure this is a good idea? :ohdear:

quote:

I don’t know what to think about this.

I’m not sure it’s entirely a good idea.

Myself.

10 posted on 04/02/2017 7:54:28 AM PDT by cba123 ( Toi la nguoi My. Toi bay gio o Viet Nam.)

quote:

U.S. President Donald Trump will meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Florida on Thursday and Friday, seeking to build upon their bilateral relationship.

Announcing this won't help accomplish that.

12 posted on 04/02/2017 8:04:22 AM PDT by DoodleDawg

quote:

Important symbolic sale. China wants to disarm Us citizens, Japan and Taiwan, and it is high time to tell them to go ef themselves or tell that to ourselves

11 posted on 04/02/2017 8:01:42 AM PDT by JudgemAll (Democrats Fed. job-security Whorocracy & hate:hypocrites must be gay like us or be tested/crucifiedc)

:china: gently caress no, we don't want it! Take it back! Take it Back!

quote:

To: cba123

I agree. I'd be skeptical of a turncoat Taiwanese pilot flying an F-35 to China.

16 posted on 04/02/2017 9:23:12 AM PDT by CivilWarBrewing (Feminism DESTROYED females)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

quote:

To: CivilWarBrewing

...a turncoat Taiwanese pilot flying an F-35 to China

That would JMHO be almost meaningless.

Between our own MSM (Aviation Week was regarded as a crass leaker when I was in the Aero Barrio) and the herd of slimeballs infesting The Beltway, the ChiComs probably have better documentation on the F-35 than anybody.

Take a little trip through the news files about the time it took PRCAF to have a stone clone of the F-28 on a runway as evidence if you like....

18 posted on 04/02/2017 10:26:08 AM PDT by Unrepentant VN Vet (...against all enemies, foreign or domestic...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

quote:

ROC may get R-35s, but at this point it appears to be mainly an effort to set the tone for the negotiations with PRC.

It lets the Chinese know that they are dealing with adults, now.

21 posted on 04/02/2017 12:28:08 PM PDT by PAR35

Art of the Deal!

quote:

To: DoodleDawg

No, you have to read it together with his comment about taking care of the Norks if the PRC doesn’t.

He’s signaling that he knows 1) what is important to them, and 2) letting them know what is important to him.

He’s already signaled he isn’t going to throw Taiwan to the wolves, so he’s set a floor on the negotiations, but now he’s told them that they need to worry about the Norks or worry about him.

25 posted on 04/02/2017 4:00:57 PM PDT by PAR35
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well gently caress. I asked. God drat it Freep

I'm not going to quote the specific quote cause I'm on my phone, but I'm a white guy who lives in Harlem actually and they're really god drat nice. Like the "worst" I've ever gotten is people in my building refer to me as "the white guy" (cause I'm the only white guy), and some mild ribbing about how bad my Spanish is. These assholes are constantly talking about some urban slum gangland bullshit, and here I am in Harlem and my neighbors made me churros from scratch the other day. Hot drat.

Also from a quick google NYC has the highest Muslim population in the US... at around 70,000. About twice as much as the NYPD's active duty roster. So even if their supposed muslim uprising happens it could be thwarted by the cops.

But what am I doing with facts and reality and actually talking to people.

PS they were pretty great churros.

Typical lib, accepting a handout and preaching the values of internationalisation! as a very not racist christian, i hope a tragedy befalls you and your family that you cannot afford to pay for and this teaches you that interacting with other races is wrong (again i am not racist)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

McGlockenshire posted:

quote:
To: RoosterRedux

FUNYT.
Corporate leftist want us all to die.

41 posted on 1/19/2015, 9:16:09 AM by Post5203 (Of all the jets that hit their targets on 9-11, the one that didn't should have.)
Wow. I assume this is about the Pentagon?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

jojoinnit posted:

Wow. I assume this is about the Pentagon?

The one that crashed in Pennsylvania that was reportedly headed to either the White House or the Capitol, I'm guessing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

McGlockenshire posted:

To: SeekAndFind

A little hyperbole never hurt anyone...

:-)

6 posted on 1/12/2015, 8:56:58 AM by Zeppo ("Happy Pony is on - and I'm NOT missing Happy Pony")

Except all the freepers that think Trump is the second coming and are now shocked that he sucks and doesn't give a flying gently caress about them, Obama was a marxist commie facist, kenyan, muslim dictator and Hillary kills babies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Georgia Peach posted:

The one that crashed in Pennsylvania that was reportedly headed to either the White House or the Capitol, I'm guessing.

:gop:

Jesus Christ, I didn't think freep could still shock me

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^Either the capitol building, or he's one of those dumbshits with broke brain that thinks Obama was in charge when 9/11 took place

Jagged Jim posted:

To: cba123

I agree. I'd be skeptical of a turncoat Taiwanese pilot flying an F-35 to China.

16 posted on 04/02/2017 9:23:12 AM PDT by CivilWarBrewing (Feminism DESTROYED females)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Lol, why? The Chinese already got the plans and built a better version.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 3, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SocketWrench posted:

^Either the capitol building, or he's one of those dumbshits with broke brain that thinks Obama was in charge when 9/11 took place

Probably capitol building. Nothing gets a freeper's blood boiling like CONGRESS.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jagged Jim posted:

U.S. mulls F-35s for Taiwan deal
Art of the Deal!

Freep posted:

To: DoodleDawg

No, you have to read it together with his comment about taking care of the Norks if the PRC doesn’t.

He’s signaling that he knows 1) what is important to them, and 2) letting them know what is important to him.

He’s already signaled he isn’t going to throw Taiwan to the wolves, so he’s set a floor on the negotiations, but now he’s told them that they need to worry about the Norks or worry about him.

25 posted on 04/02/2017 4:00:57 PM PDT by PAR35
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

What the hell is a nork? Somehow I don't think they're calling foreigners orcs, though that'd be at least a different way for Freep to label them 'racially inferior'.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Prism posted:

What the hell is a nork? Somehow I don't think they're calling foreigners orcs, though that'd be at least a different way for Freep to label them 'racially inferior'.

"Nor"th "K"orean

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
North Korean

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I've never heard that particular word so I'm going to assume it's ancient or uniquely American. Given Freepers, possibly both, like when they bust out 'Chicom'.

Thanks.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
You'll see it used around North Korea threads here too, along with Best Korea and Dear Leader

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well gently caress. I asked. God drat it Freep

I'm not going to quote the specific quote cause I'm on my phone, but I'm a white guy who lives in Harlem actually and they're really god drat nice. Like the "worst" I've ever gotten is people in my building refer to me as "the white guy" (cause I'm the only white guy), and some mild ribbing about how bad my Spanish is. These assholes are constantly talking about some urban slum gangland bullshit, and here I am in Harlem and my neighbors made me churros from scratch the other day. Hot drat.

Also from a quick google NYC has the highest Muslim population in the US... at around 70,000. About twice as much as the NYPD's active duty roster. So even if their supposed muslim uprising happens it could be thwarted by the cops.

But what am I doing with facts and reality and actually talking to people.

PS they were pretty great churros.

I don't live in NYC, but I've visited often enough that I've spent about 2 months of my life there in the past decade. Apart from isolated crazies, it's one of the most inclusive places I've been. The population in just about any neighborhood is every color of the human rainbow if you include passers-by, even in traditional ethnic enclaves. One building or street will have black, white, Latino, Southeast Asian, Indian, Pacific Islander, and Arabic people mingling and doing business.

I'd be surprised if any Freepers lived in NYC. It's really loving difficult to be racist there unless you're mentally unwell.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I imagine you would either not be able to be racist, or you would be the most omni-racist shut-in in the universe, just peeking out through the blinders at a horrible They Live-style horror.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pearl Harbor was really what kicked America into the war. Before that the American public wanted to maintain the isolationism that had been typical for America for a while. It was viewed as Their Problem rather than ours. The fight just wasn't really happening in the Americas and like, who cares of Germany conquers Europe and Africa and Japan takes Asia? That's not here so it isn't our problem. American leadership of course realized that the aggression wouldn't stop until it was stopped. America was going to end up involved in the war whether we liked it or not. The lend/lease stuff was where it started. It was pretty easy to spin, really; hey folks we're just sending some stuff to nations we like and hey you're getting paid to make it so it's cool, you know? Americans aren't fighting and Americans aren't dying so whatever. Meanwhile they were increasing military spending and buffing military strength as much as was politically viable.

Germany declaring war on America was basically a formality at that point. Everybody knew America was going to get involved eventually in some way or another. Japan attacking Pearl Harbor was really what kicked it off. Suddenly opinion shifted; the war came to us and god drat it we're America! You don't mess with America. Die hard isolationists and anti-war types were obviously still against it but overall public opinion shifted basically overnight.

Well, the US military was also unofficially fighting Germany for years before Pearl Harbor in the North Atlantic. FDR and the military leadership knew perfectly well open war was coming and weren't shy about doing everything short of declaring war themselves.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There was also the pilots fighting China earlier

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I imagine you would either not be able to be racist, or you would be the most omni-racist shut-in in the universe, just peeking out through the blinders at a horrible They Live-style horror.

Lots of people in NYC are racist, but it's a different kind of racism, more "screw those guys and their dumb inconvenient religious festivals blocking MY parking space" or "X minority has noisy parties all night and their cooking smells bad" rather than "Send them to the camps!"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah more like "Those Irish like to drink and fight huh" rather than "Don't feed the Irish."
When they aren't exposed to the people their hate is directed towards trying to protect their not seeing those people.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The Senate started their hearings into Russian election influencing last week. These hearings started with testimony from Clint Watts of the Foreign Policy Research Institute. During that testimony, he discussed a wide variety of actions Russia seemed to take. One story stuck out to me as interesting. In late July of 2016, Sputnik and RT started spreading stories about how a NATO base in Turkey was allegedly under attack, and that this threat was particularly dangerous because there's a nuclear weapon storage facility there. There was no attack. The entire thing was made up. Nevertheless, Paul Manafort talked about these attacks in an interview he did in the middle of August. We already knew at the time that the attacks were bogus.

Part of the testimony tied into the story we saw a few weeks ago about how US intelligence agencies are looking into RWM sources to determine if they cooperated with the Russians. The fake news about the base attack in Turkey became popular primarily by spreading through social media. I remember seeing a few threads about this on freep, and I decided I'd cover one of them for the entertainment value. So I went digging, and I won't be covering these after all because there are too many of them.
And these were just the ones I found under the "turkey" keyword! See what happened in the end, though? Gee, Turkey and Russia are buddy buddy now. I wonder how, and I wonder why.

Freep loves screeching now about fake news this and fake news that, all the while falling for actual fake news and never realizing it because they've been poisoned by years and years of being told that objective reality isn't objective or real, and the only trustable sources are ones that confirm their biases and fears.

Or, in other words, we are hosed as a nation.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 3, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Jesus gently caress.

More like disinformation technology. The worst is that there seems to be no good way to fight it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fathis Munk posted:

Jesus gently caress.

More like disinformation technology. The worst is that there seems to be no good way to fight it.

I want to say that we can fight it. That through education and persistence we can fight poo poo like this and make a difference. But I can't.

NPR recently ran a segment on 1A about how the internet was supposed to be the greatest educational tool, and that information would flow like never before. But, instead, it's mostly turned into a series of camps and tribes that often confirm our biases rather than stop them, and even given voice to worse ideas that were once on a downward spiral.

So, yeah, we are kinda hosed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

I want to say that we can fight it. That through education and persistence we can fight poo poo like this and make a difference. But I can't.

NPR recently ran a segment on 1A about how the internet was supposed to be the greatest educational tool, and that information would flow like never before. But, instead, it's mostly turned into a series of camps and tribes that often confirm our biases rather than stop them, and even given voice to worse ideas that were once on a downward spiral.

So, yeah, we are kinda hosed.

I've posted a link a few times before, but a study on the "media spheres" found that it's really the right wing that's fallen for media with an extreme confirmation bias to such a degree that it's affected their judgement. Analyzing connections through Twitter and Facebook reposts and comments finds that the left wing still puts stock into mainstream media and traditional sources that have transferred to the Internet, while the right wing is mostly off in its own bubble of Breitbart and Infowars.

Which is a bad thing because that's the side of American politics that actually wants things like concentration camps, conversion therapy, and legalized murder of certain inconvenient people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I've posted a link a few times before, but a study on the "media spheres" found that it's really the right wing that's fallen for media with an extreme confirmation bias to such a degree that it's affected their judgement. Analyzing connections through Twitter and Facebook reposts and comments finds that the left wing still puts stock into mainstream media and traditional sources that have transferred to the Internet, while the right wing is mostly off in its own bubble of Breitbart and Infowars.

Which is a bad thing because that's the side of American politics that actually wants things like concentration camps, conversion therapy, and legalized murder of certain inconvenient people.

Is their population actively declining though? Right wingers have been a problem in the US since forever, and they obviously aren't sophisticated enough to separate fact from fiction on the internet, but are people that are currently young unable to as well, or is it just old people that didn't grow up with the internet. Or what? You've read the link, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

McGlockenshire posted:

quote:

To: arthurus

Billionaires own the news. They are not our friends.

39 posted on 1/19/2015, 8:07:18 AM by bmwcyle (People who do not study history are destine to believe really ignorant statements.).

...Says the man who voted enthusiastically for a (purported) billionaire, believing him to be a good friend to the working class. :ironicat:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I've been lurking since the previous iteration of the thread, and I've checked out all the greatest hits. Even so, this:

quote:

The kids would go to the local Episcopal school, get fed full of crap, and then have to endure my de-programming at night.

is the most chilling thing I've ever read on Freep. Like powerlessly watching child abuse in real-time. We definitely can fight the right-wing Fake News poo poo, but every child that gets lost to this poo poo is going to make the fight that much harder. This is how Freepers are born.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Or they go to college and become a crazy hippie because gently caress you dad

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't live in NYC, but I've visited often enough that I've spent about 2 months of my life there in the past decade. Apart from isolated crazies, it's one of the most inclusive places I've been. The population in just about any neighborhood is every color of the human rainbow if you include passers-by, even in traditional ethnic enclaves. One building or street will have black, white, Latino, Southeast Asian, Indian, Pacific Islander, and Arabic people mingling and doing business.

I'd be surprised if any Freepers lived in NYC. It's really loving difficult to be racist there unless you're mentally unwell.

Counterpoint: Staten Island

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

davecrazy posted:

Counterpoint: Staten Island

That doesn't count as NYC and you know it.

Captain Monkey posted:

Is their population actively declining though? Right wingers have been a problem in the US since forever, and they obviously aren't sophisticated enough to separate fact from fiction on the internet, but are people that are currently young unable to as well, or is it just old people that didn't grow up with the internet. Or what? You've read the link, so I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

To my knowledge, the study didn't adjust for age or location. It was entirely based on what their social media linked to and reposted the most, turned into a data cloud and graphs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really don't understand why some people believe "the internet exists" means "people that use it will stop being stupid and believing stupid things".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The potential of the internet and all of human knowledge at your fingertips turning out to be a vast repository of dumb memes and porn reminds me of how early in television's life people thought it would allow for Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas to become accessible to all.

Though we are in a golden age of television with a lot of genuinely artistic shows. So maybe it just takes ~60 years? Normalish internet by 2050!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pontius Pilate posted:

The potential of the internet and all of human knowledge at your fingertips turning out to be a vast repository of dumb memes and porn reminds me of how early in television's life people thought it would allow for Shakespeare's plays and Mozart's operas to become accessible to all.

Though we are in a golden age of television with a lot of genuinely artistic shows. So maybe it just takes ~60 years? Normalish internet by 2050!

Pawn Stars still exists.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pontius Pilate posted:

A good 2/3 of Shakespeare and Mozart is their day's fairly trashy lowbrow entertainment, as originally performed though...

Shakespeare especially, it's chock full of dick jokes and cracks on how various people's mothers are whores.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Have any Freepers reacted to Trump signing the anti-privacy bill?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

A good 2/3 of Shakespeare and Mozart is their day's fairly trashy lowbrow entertainment, as originally performed though...

Shakespeare especially, it's chock full of dick jokes and cracks on how various people's mothers are whores.

But how will we judge people for liking the wrong things if we admit that humanity has always loved really lovely low brow entertainment a lot?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

To be honest, is "People can just listen to the evidence they want in their desired echo chamber!" any different from how things used to be? 50 or 60 years ago, there wasn't a repository of fact-checked knowledge at everyone's fingertips. If you believed something, you had to go out of your way to be disproven. Science and history books were full of errors, mythology, and racist and misogynistic beliefs masquerading as fact. In the pre-Snopes world, any urban legend could be spread far and wide with little ability even for skeptics to prove it untrue, especially not quickly.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Captain Monkey posted:

But how will we judge people for liking the wrong things if we admit that humanity has always loved really lovely low brow entertainment a lot?

Comedy has literally always been dick jokes and farting and calling Socrates a dumb smelly fuckhead and at some level that is refreshing, humans have pretty much always been humans in that regard.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Neeksy posted:

Have any Freepers reacted to Trump signing the anti-privacy bill?

Not really, this is the only thread I could find and it hasn't even reached double digit replies.

Not just Clean Coal but Super Clean Coal!

quote:

To: Aevery_Freeman

Wow I wasn’t aware of the Yucca Mountain deal, that is really good news.

I was aware of the super clean coal plants firing up again!

It amazing how just the desire not to destroy our country is allowing the U.S. resurgence.

If he only hits on 20 per cent he would be the best president in 30 years.

MAGA.

4 posted on 04/03/2017 12:47:27 PM PDT by johnk (faithful with little....)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

This is a good thing, right? :ohdear:

quote:

To: johnk

So, help me understand...can my ISPs sell my search and website visit info, or not?

6 posted on 04/03/2017 1:04:07 PM PDT by moovova

quote:

To: moovova

It still sounds like we are taking a step backwards as far as internet privacy. Wish there was an explanation, without a bunch of 3 letter agencies being bandied about, that gave some comfort that we aren’t being opened up to more 3rd party spying...

8 posted on 04/03/2017 2:03:28 PM PDT by Hartlyboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Feinne posted:

Comedy has literally always been dick jokes and farting and calling Socrates a dumb smelly fuckhead and at some level that is refreshing, humans have pretty much always been humans in that regard.

The oldest recorded joke is a combination sex joke and fart joke. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

chitoryu12 posted:

To be honest, is "People can just listen to the evidence they want in their desired echo chamber!" any different from how things used to be? 50 or 60 years ago, there wasn't a repository of fact-checked knowledge at everyone's fingertips. If you believed something, you had to go out of your way to be disproven. Science and history books were full of errors, mythology, and racist and misogynistic beliefs masquerading as fact. In the pre-Snopes world, any urban legend could be spread far and wide with little ability even for skeptics to prove it untrue, especially not quickly.

I mean you go back 60 years ago? Every major city had like 3-6 different newspapers, and all of them were very heavily leaning to one party/political tendency or another. Conservatives read the Whatever Gazette, liberals the Whatever Inquirer, the hardcore leftists read the Whatever Worker, the proto-Birchers read the Whatever Star and so on. You only have 1-3 TV channels in a given area, but they all try to stay extremely "neutral" so they don't really do anything to speak out against anyone's political viewpoint being bolstered by the newspapers and to a limited extent the radio (though radio stayed fairly "neutral" as well on national-network stations, local independent stations start to have it). On top of that there were a good selection of mail-based newsletters and things like that for those who wanted to really get into an echo chamber.