Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

brugroffil posted:

You're really sort of messing the up possible causes there. You wouldn't need "everyone" who voted for Obama in 08/12 to stay home, just a few thousand (depending on county of course) which may only be a few percentage of his total votes there, and you could easily have a similar number of that huge chunk of non-voters who sat home in 08/12 deciding to turn out in 2016. You wouldn't need more than a few percentage points each way to swing things.

you're really sort of messing up reading my post. I said "unless everyone who voted stayed home, a bunch of people must have switched," which is true. a few thousand people from multiple counties across a state switching from Dem to GOP is definitely "a bunch."

by far, the most likely voters are people who've voted before. new voters turned out and some old voters stayed home, for sure, but it was mostly the same people who voted in 2012, and a significant number of them must have switched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zegermans posted:

The problem solves itself.

I doubt it. Republicans are the type of people who can't figure out why they keep getting burned when they touch fire, and goddamnit they're going to keep trying until it works, and/or just blame liberals

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Citizen Tayne posted:

Haha, hoisted by his own retard

hah, a bad poster and an ableist too :noice:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Joementum posted:

Reminds me of my favorite story from last year.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/707628045486702593

after they get rid of abortions, lysteria infections from raw milk are a great way to terminate pregnancies

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hah, a bad poster and an ableist too :noice:

turn your monitor on!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I did a thing posted:

Everyone should read this. It's pretty wild stuff.

Coll is a preeminent scholar on this topic and I have read ghost wars and his 'follow up' book about the bin laden family. I don't see your point though except maybe an attempt to connect America with the 'creation' of OBL. That has been proven false multiple times, most vocally by Coll himself, which, if you read his books he talks about.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bilirubin posted:

What were you reading on Lumumba? I'd be interested in that

Nothing impressive, really. They talked about him briefly on the War Nerd podcast, so I went to Wikipedia and read what little there was there.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Coll is a preeminent scholar on this topic and I have read ghost wars and his 'follow up' book about the bin laden family. I don't see your point though except maybe an attempt to connect America with the 'creation' of OBL. That has been proven false multiple times, most vocally by Coll himself, which, if you read his books he talks about.

The best thing about coll was while researching for his book on exxon he couldn't get ANYONE to talk to him.

Al-Qaeda and the CIA? No problem.

Exxon? Hit the bricks pal.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Putin clearly didn't say the magic words enough

Serf
May 5, 2011

haha remember when trump appeared before a debate with a bunch of bill clinton's sexual harassment/assault accusers and we as a nation just accepted it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

indigi posted:

you're really sort of messing up reading my post. I said "unless everyone who voted stayed home, a bunch of people must have switched," which is true. a few thousand people from multiple counties switching from Dem to GOP is definitely "a bunch."

by far, the most likely voters are people who've voted before. new voters turned out and some old voters stayed home, for sure, but it was mostly the same people who voted in 2012, and a significant number of them must have switched

This is where your point goes off of the rails. You don't need "everyone" who voted before to stay home, just a relative handful, and you don't need a ton of people who had sat out 2008/2012 to turn out in 2016 in order to produce a bunch of flipped counties.

A lot of these counties also really did have a lot of people just staying home, with turnout lower than both 2008 and 2012. That points to "unmotivated"/dumb-as-hell Obama voters who didn't show up for Clinton, which is a problem, but it doesn't really indicate that they instead showed up for Trump.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

prefect posted:

Nothing impressive, really. They talked about him briefly on the War Nerd podcast, so I went to Wikipedia and read what little there was there.

Oh ok. I too have spent some time down the wiki rabbit hole about the Congo Crisis, and was contemplating getting a copy of "The Assassination of Lumumba" and was hoping you could review it first.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

Putin clearly didn't say the magic words enough

"Radical Islamic Terrorism" is actually Al-Bagdadi's UNATCO killphrase.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol if you like "raw milk" since its more "natural"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

"Hunt", right. I bet they have to fight the job offers off with a stick. Nobody will ever be financially insecure and nobody will ever be punished.

I dunno, Putin bought Flynn's undying loyalty to Mother Russia for like, $40K. Like congressmen, you can buy these people for shockingly low amounts.

Joementum posted:

These people are a pack of idiots, and no one should drink raw milk, BUT this turned out to be a bout of the flu running around because a bunch of people who didn't drink raw milk also got sick.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

brugroffil posted:

This is where your point goes off of the rails. You don't need "everyone" who voted before to stay home, just a relative handful, and you don't need a ton of people who had sat out 2008/2012 to turn out in 2016 in order to produce a bunch of flipped counties.

A lot of these counties also really did have a lot of people just staying home, with turnout lower than both 2008 and 2012. That points to "unmotivated"/dumb-as-hell Obama voters who didn't show up for Clinton, which is a problem, but it doesn't really indicate that they instead showed up for Trump.

counterpoint:

cum

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Remember in FUry Road when they had that tanker full of human breast milk but it was all white but human milk has a yellowish tinge since the cream hasn't been removed to turn into buttewr.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mormonpartyboat posted:

counterpoint:

cum

TRUMP

Serf
May 5, 2011

2018 will be slaughter for the dems lol

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Serf posted:

haha remember when trump appeared before a debate with a bunch of bill clinton's sexual harassment/assault accusers and we as a nation just accepted it

Remember when the orange piss baby was nominated and we were like ha ha ha no way

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

that sickness in your tummy is the sickness of freedom, my friend :ancap:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

mormonpartyboat posted:

counterpoint:

cum

This is a strong retort

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

Uhh yeah. Have you every heard the joke about the workers in the soviet bed factory that can't find a bed to buy in their hometown? One of he workers goes into work and steals parts to make a bed so that he can have something to sleep on at night. He does this for months on end but all he is ends up with after multiple tries are a bunch of ak-47s.

Did you ever hear the joke that if the US wanted to bankrupt the Soviets we could just give them an aircraft carrier.

We have 10.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mormonpartyboat posted:

counterpoint:

cum

edward

michael

balls

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well in the old days we just used to cure illnesses by bloodletting, WHY WONT BIG GOVERNMENT LET ME CURE PEOPLE WITH BLOODLETTING

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

brugroffil posted:

This is a strong retort

from the mouths of babes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

logikv9 posted:

west virginia only deserves misery

:wrong:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/NickAmadeus/status/848890973757243392

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ramadu posted:

punchymcpunch posted:

i was at this rich dudes party at a big mansion and he's got this piano so i sit down and crack my fingers and launch into all the willy joel songs i can remember, i go into a fugue state, and when i come to everyone is applauding

long story short i married his daughter and now i gotta bring peace to the middle east

there have been many TRUMPs in this thread but this one is the best

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf posted:

You're in the wrong place

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

Remember when the orange piss baby was nominated and we were like ha ha ha no way

i didnt think hed be president when he rode the escalator, but he hadnt stopped after 2 months so i knew the nomination was locked

hillarys fumble was impressive though

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Joementum posted:

Weiner's book "Enemies" goes into how the FBI hosed up the 9/11 intelligence by ignoring a field agent who had one of the hijacker's laptop's in her possession for months. Also a lot of fun stuff about the Hoover era, like when he invited Nixon over for dinner and they ate steak in a room with lava lamps and beads because J. Edgar want to understand the yout's.

Coll, mentioned above, also wrote the definitive book on Exxon, which is a good read for people who want to know more about Rex Tillerson's actual record than the time he got an award in Russia. Like the stuff about how he runs private armies and wants to build a pipeline through Turkey to compete against the Russian oil interests.

I'll need to check each of those out.

The Exxon book sounds more appealing right now. Like seriously, Rex has some PMCs working for him? I really wish our government would ban PMCs entirely. Though some days, I wouldn't mind working for one. Making six-figures, tax free, to guard a supply route for a year? Sign me up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol trump is like the old people in the small town I grew up in who sit in Dairy Queen for breakfast while smoking and having them turn on fox news

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Well, there was an attack on the metro in St. Petersburg.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Serf posted:

your posting will be bad forever lmao

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

brugroffil posted:

your posting will be bad forever lmao

when will yours be worth reading, hon?

Serf
May 5, 2011

let us not forget the 70 year old lady who said that trump wants to cut the program that is keeping her alive, but she would vote for him again in 2020 because he's deporting illegals

nothing matters

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Serf posted:

:wrong:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

punchymcpunch posted:

everyone who doesnt have dunning kruger / freddy kruger syndrome

SYNDROMES ARE EVERYWHERE