Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the government pays way over market tho

id make an arguement about how jacking someones land is theft no matter how much you pay them if they dont want to sell it in the first place, but if they were jacking someones land to make a hospital or something else actually useful instead of THE WALL id be all for it v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

someone post the self-regenerating minefield post

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Agean90 posted:

id make an arguement about how jacking someones land is theft no matter how much you pay them if they dont want to sell it in the first place, but if they were jacking someones land to make a hospital or something else actually useful instead of THE WALL id be all for it v:v:v

It's used for wal-marts, more often than not.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Badger of Basra posted:

someone post the self-regenerating minefield post

The still water tires with the mosquitos?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

I propose two walls, separated by 20-30m with a self healing mine field between them. The first one topped with electrified razor wire and the other topped with electrified razor wire and studded with modified Phalanx guns set to fire on anything larger than say a squirrel. Beyond the second wall the ground will be equipped with pressure sensors in the rare event someone makes it beyond the second wall. Now tell me why would such a system require extensive human interaction?

I started by basing it on the Israeli West Bank wall which will run for 650 km and is estimated to cost $1.56 billion, which works out to 2.5 million per km. The US-Mexico border is 3141km long, so a single Israeli style wall would cost ~$8bn; but I propose two so figure on $16bn for the walls alone. Add in $4bn for a sensor network and manned stations behind the second wall and we're up to $20bn.

Next up the expensive part, mines. I figure on using a single mine per two square meters, with a grid pattern this should be effective; that gives us 500 per square km. Now, assuming were using a self healing mine let's set the cost at $25 per unit for a total cost of $112.5bn, so far we're up to $132.5bn.

Now the phalanx guns, the average cost is about $6m per unit and the effective range is about 1.6km; which means it would cost $11bn to completely cover the border.

So to summarise, complete border control for ~$150bn, seems like a good deal to me.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Volcott posted:

Obviously we can't build a wall on a river, so Mexico is going to have to cede some territory so we can build it on solid ground.

see, back before the idiot manchild was declared emperor, it never even occurred to me that somebody might consider building the wall IN MEXICO

it remains physically impossible, for the exact same reasons, plus now you'd have to invade mexico

donald trump is the end of america as a serious world power

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e wrong thread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Do they ever elaborate on what they mean by self-healing mine?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

whats a self healing mine

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

i have no idea this was a bad post from before lf was a thing and all i found through my googling was someone else quoting it

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

they're smart mines that hop around their exploded brethren to fill in the gaps, ready to blow the legs off any children that might have passed through the cleared path

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they mean the literal Star Trek poo poo where a mine explodes but keeps its core alive somehow and it just reforms around it or however they did it on DS9

They literally proposed a thing they saw on Star Trek and said 'I bet that'd cost 25 bucks a pop'. They're Trump.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

they mean the literal Star Trek poo poo where a mine explodes but keeps its core alive somehow and it just reforms around it or however they did it on DS9

They literally proposed a thing they saw on Star Trek and said 'I bet that'd cost 25 bucks a pop'. They're Trump.

it's not QUITE that dumb, but almost: the mines keep in touch over a wireless ad-hoc network and jump around from place to place when the density has depleted

it's intended as an antitank defense because a human obviously would just not step on the mine sitting on the ground where it hopped

and they obviously don't actually exist

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Duscat posted:

it's not QUITE that dumb, but almost: the mines keep in touch over a wireless ad-hoc network and jump around from place to place when the density has depleted

it's intended as an antitank defense because a human obviously would just not step on the mine sitting on the ground where it hopped

and they obviously don't actually exist

can't wait for The Great Depression 2.0 to go down in history books as beginning when a billion internet enabled mines were used to DDoS every finance structure in the country for weeks

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

can't wait for The Great Depression 2.0 to go down in history books as beginning when a billion internet enabled mines were used to DDoS every finance structure in the country for weeks

a billion mines chirp "im gay" as they explode in unison

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Volcott posted:

Obviously we can't build a wall on a river, so Mexico is going to have to cede some territory so we can build it on solid ground.

how much to just stock the river with man-eating piranhas and hippopotamuses and call it a day?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

how much to just stock the river with man-eating piranhas and hippopotamuses and call it a day?

uh you gotta pick either piranhas or hippopotamuses, you can't really have both

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stick em both in there and let nature decide.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Stick em both in there and let nature decide.

would watch this syfy original movie

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Definitely pick hippos. Stick a sentry gun on their backs and you have a solid multirole border agent.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Definitely pick hippos. Stick a sentry gun on their backs and you have a solid multirole border agent.

i think those are called "texans"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We joke but there are actually people who are vigilante border guards. I would not be surprised if they murdered dozens of border crossers a year.

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

We joke but there are actually people who are vigilante border guards. I would not be surprised if they murdered dozens of border crossers a year.

I remember watching this docu that juxtaposed an actual vigilante group in Mexico, that was literally fighting for their lives against cartels that was killing and decapitating them, with crazy rightwing border-vigilantes from US that just run around catching refugees. It was insane to see.

Don't remember the name, but it was on Netflix.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

not enough trump voters eating poo poo in this thread

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Fun fact if you check souther West Virginia/eastern Kentucky from space via Google Earth, you can see white spots of deleted mountains marking the entire landscape, like disgusting pimples on the face of America. And filled with the same type of pus.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Tingfinder posted:

I remember watching this docu that juxtaposed an actual vigilante group in Mexico, that was literally fighting for their lives against cartels that was killing and decapitating them, with crazy rightwing border-vigilantes from US that just run around catching refugees. It was insane to see.

Shane Bauer did a great article about embedding with a border patrol militia. http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Tingfinder posted:

There was an incident a few weeks back where two groups of ranchers swore they were under fire from those drat mexican drug peoples.

Turns out the dumb cousinfucking hicks were shooting at each other.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

zegermans posted:

There was an incident a few weeks back where two groups of ranchers swore they were under fire from those drat mexican drug peoples.

incest, booze, friendly fire

looks like some traditions stick around

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kar%C3%A1nsebes

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zegermans posted:

:911:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tingfinder posted:

I tried to watch this documentary but I had to turn it off when they got to the cemetery full of dead children murdered by cartels and the crying mothers. It was too much even for my cold dead heart of stone.

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I tried to watch this documentary but I had to turn it off when they got to the cemetery full of dead children murdered by cartels and the crying mothers. It was too much even for my cold dead heart of stone.

Lol if you're not broken by the reality we live in yet. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

whats a self healing mine

The mines are laid out in a pattern and when one of them explodes, leaving a gap, the other mines all move (there are a variety of ways they do this) to fill in the gap.

Duscat posted:

they're smart mines that hop around their exploded brethren to fill in the gaps, ready to blow the legs off any children that might have passed through the cleared path

Yeah. It's not some terminator T-1000 stuff. lol

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Crossposting
But maybe this is inappropriate since this Trump voter is realizing they're going to die in Mexico.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Knight posted:

But maybe this is inappropriate since this Trump voter is realizing they're going to die in Mexico.
:eyepop:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Knight posted:

Crossposting

loling '

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Knight posted:

Crossposting

https://twitter.com/LOLGOP/status/849263706416525312

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
from the dnd pics thread

https://twitter.com/dubsteppenwolf/status/849231527099736064

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

For some reason that makes me kinda sad. My wife would be terribly distraught if I died, even if I'm an awful person

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/phil1/status/849266755545464834

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

waw