Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Perez force the dems left?
This poll is closed.
Yes 33 6.38%
No 343 66.34%
Keith Ellison 54 10.44%
Pete Buttigieg 71 13.73%
Jehmu Green 16 3.09%
Total: 416 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

With all the dog whistles a lot of you seem to be hearing all the time, maybe you want to get yourselves checked out for tinnitus or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Pray tell, when someone says a politician should talk less about immigrants and minorities, and more about 'everyday Americans' how would you interpret that?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I still cant believe this thread isn't 61 pages of "Lol no"

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I still cant believe this thread isn't 61 pages of "Lol no"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Pray tell, when someone says a politician should talk less about immigrants and minorities, and more about 'everyday Americans' how would you interpret that?

Sounds like a false dichotomy to me. The fact that those two views are exclusive to you speaks more to your views.

That is, minorities and immigrants are actually everyday americans instead some belligerent other that need to be addressed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Grognan posted:

Sounds like a false dichotomy to me. The fact that those two views are exclusive to you speaks more to your views.

It would appear those two views are not exclusive to me, yet are exclusive to the individual stating them.

The point I'm making is all those groups should fall under the umbrella of 'everyday americans'.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grognan posted:

Those things that are taken by stereotype patriotic (war, business, and loving others over) are cancer to a lot of people overall and simply shut out at the front door for a lot of the disaffected of the USA.

Still trying to appeal to an irrelevant and unrealistic idea cherished by consultants, analysts, and upper crust morons that make a living by floating around the Cloaca Maxima that is the DC circuit.

Yes, the only people in America who feel any stirrings of patriotism at all are all consultants and analysts. Everyone else is out there burning the American flag 24/7

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Actually no, you have a terrible argument. It isn't like we are aliens from outer space, you can ask us why we supported a particular candidate. Also, your post just reeks of taking black voters for granted and ultimately ignoring what they have to say in order to make a argument of numbers

I can't "ask" everyone, and no single person represents the views of their group. You certainly don't. If you want to find me some kind of comprehensive polling that shows reasons black voters gave for supporting Clinton (and for not supporting her), that'd be a good read.

I can only look at the statistics that say that share of the black vote for Clinton was lower than many expected.

I say it again: people were often pointing to polls saying that Trump had zero support from black voters. Obama was out there saying it would be a personal insult if the black community didn't go out and vote for Clinton. It was basically liberal gospel that Clinton was going to maintain or even improve Obama's margins just because of how racist Trump is.

blackguy32 posted:

Also, gently caress off with that wrong assessment racist bullshit. Also #BernieWouldHaveWon

There's nothing racist about that assessment. It's true.

I also thought Clinton was the more electable candidate over Sanders and Trump, that she'd win, and that Democratic Primary voters had a good idea of who the better candidate to run in a general was. I was wrong, and so were they.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, the only people in America who feel any stirrings of patriotism at all are all consultants and analysts. Everyone else is out there burning the American flag 24/7

Most Americans arn't gungho for a nofly zone in Syria unlike the consultants. ALso I can see you still can't prove the Root is like Breitbart.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Most Americans arn't gungho for a nofly zone in Syria unlike the consultants. ALso I can see you still can't prove the Root is like Breitbart.

I know years of reading nazi propaganda about how immigrants don't deserve rights has stunted your brain, but you might need to look up what links are, and how you can actually put a link to one site on a site thats very different than that. Really! You won't even get in trouble with the internet police. And its very helpful for, say, a nazi right wing website wanting to push that dems are the real racists to collect and link articles like the ones you constantly, constantly link.

Also I'm pretty sure that the only people who are in favor of letting Russia do literally whatever they want with no consequences up to and including sabotaging the election, are right wing nazis, and their useful idiot leftists.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fulchrum posted:

I know years of reading nazi propaganda about how immigrants don't deserve rights has stunted your brain, but you might need to look up what links are, and how you can actually put a link to one site on a site thats very different than that. Really! You won't even get in trouble with the internet police. And its very helpful for, say, a nazi right wing website wanting to push that dems are the real racists to collect and link articles like the ones you constantly, constantly link.

Also I'm pretty sure that the only people who are in favor of letting Russia do literally whatever they want with no consequences up to and including sabotaging the election, are right wing nazis, and their useful idiot leftists.

I, too, am altogether willing to forget that the democratic primary candidate who didn't plan on using undocumented central american refugees as a way to send a message wasn't abuela.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

I, too, am altogether willing to forget that the democratic primary candidate who didn't plan on using undocumented central american refugees as a way to send a message wasn't abuela.

No, it was the one who wanted to dump nuclear waste near majority latino cities.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

So no actual argument. I mean that is typical. You're entire stcick is that all Sander's supports are extremists for not kissing your rear end. Also lol its a nazi conspiracy for the dems to represent people interest collectively. Finally how does Russia haveto do with people not wanting dead Americans die in the war between Fascists bathists and Wahabi militants?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

No, it was the one who wanted to dump nuclear waste near majority latino cities.

Ahaha, you imbeciles have found this one thing and have obsessed so much about it you've turned it into Bernie personally shoveling plutonium on Mexico City from a chopper. This is a new level of pathetic.

"Near majority Latino city" - "Miles away from a community of 200 in the desert, which currently makes money by importing and spreading New York waste around its perimeter."

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

This is of course a dog-whistle, because it's pretty clear 'everyday' Americans means 'white lower middle/working class people like me', but they don't want to appear to be openly racist, and probably don't consider themselves to be racists. This leads me to suspect you could easily win these voters over, even while campaigning that you very clearly do not tolerate racism.

It's racist, sure, but there's a vague hint of a truth to it.

I don't have the numbers for 2016, but in 2012 the estimate of the electorate was that it was between 72-76% white. Almost 3 out of every 4 voters is white.

I think a fair amount of liberals act as if/ believe that % is a lot lower, to disastrous results.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 3, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

So no actual argument. I mean that is typical. You're entire stcick is that all Sander's supports are extremists for not kissing your rear end. Also lol its a nazi conspiracy for the dems to represent people interest collectively. Finally how does Russia haveto do with people not wanting dead Americans die in the war between Fascists bathists and Wahabi militants?

Ah yes, all those dead Americans from bombing campaigns. All those people who totally exist and would totally be killed by....bombs deciding the drop looks scary, jumping back into the plane and detonating? Transmiting scary images through drone cameras to give the remote pilots heart attacks? Like, you do get that for people to die, they need to be in a situation where they could be hurt, right?

No, its a nazi propaganda campaign to claim that Dems don't try to represent collective interest and are secretly working to hurt all their voters to please their pizzagate masters or whatever the gently caress you think, I really do not care. You're a very useful part in that campaign.

I don't have to make an argument against the insane and contrived interpretation of what you think I wrote because you don't understand what a link is.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hey way to discount all of the Americans who have actually died during America's stupid, stupid, stupid overseas military adventures you incredible piece of poo poo.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Not a Step posted:

Hey way to discount all of the Americans who have actually died during America's stupid, stupid, stupid overseas military adventures you incredible piece of poo poo.

All of which were caused by wanting to establish a no-fly zone? Wtf is your point?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like running full tilt away from any racial issues over his career right up til he was on the national stage, and ignoring African American issues, to the point that even Sanders own outreach director admitted Sanders hadn't done anything on that front?

Wait wait, sorry, I got my reality in the way of your attempts to claim credit for everything good and pure that has ever happened, and how those awful neoliberals are the true villains who just hate their voters so much. Lemme guess, economic leftists were responsible for the discovery of flight, the wheel, and the first 8 seasons of The Simpsons as well.

I said that WASN'T posting. What did he/they DO?

quote:

I also like that you're claiming economic leftists, a term you fucks chose to self describe with, is somehow a racist invention. Just like how climate change was totally not a term made up by right wing think tanks and instead was just a liberal plot to destroy industry.

I certainly don't use it, but other people do because they've literally been tricked. Clinton's posse of extremely woke HR consultants tried to treat leftism like it's the character creation segment of an RPG, where if you put too many points in health care you'll be left with too few points in both antiracism and lock-picking.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What % of Trump voters are literal Nazis?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Bout half.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Immigrants and minorities are everyday Americans, try that for a spin

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fulchrum posted:

at least bernie didn't support attacking said latinos with dogs and hosing them down in freezing weather, unlike abuela

:chloe:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Immigrants and minorities are everyday Americans, try that for a spin

read the context of this you dense idiot

I know immigrants and minorities are everyday Americans, but some voters seem to struggle with this concept, which is what we're talking about here.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 3, 2017

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
And the left wonders why it can't win elections.

You are Literally incapable of empathizing with the majority of this country (white people).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They're everywhere... they don't know they're cucked...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

El Pollo Blanco posted:

In part of the flurry of 'going to Trump country' postmortems appearing in the media, a lot of younger white Trump voters who were not lockstep republicans (either occasional dem voters or libertarians) tended to parrot the talking point that Clinton did not talk about the struggles of 'everyday', or 'ordinary' Americans enough. This is of course a dog-whistle, because it's pretty clear 'everyday' Americans means 'white lower middle/working class people like me', but they don't want to appear to be openly racist, and probably don't consider themselves to be racists. This leads me to suspect you could easily win these voters over, even while campaigning that you very clearly do not tolerate racism.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

And the left wonders why it can't win elections.

You are Literally incapable of empathizing with the majority of this country (white people).

Literally the opposite of what I'm saying.

edit: like I'm actually saying that you could easily convince these voters to come to grips with the fact that immigrants and minorities are also 'everyday americans', because these voters are obviously not out and proud racists.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 3, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

"I want them to talk about me and my family and friends and the people I personally know in my everyday life, and less about things that dont help me, because it feels like I an being ignored."

Which is, uh, thats a sentiment you are gonna find among lots of different demographics and theres nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be recognized and catered to by politicians.

They are probably not including most white people in that group either.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, all those dead Americans from bombing campaigns. All those people who totally exist and would totally be killed by....bombs deciding the drop looks scary, jumping back into the plane and detonating? Transmiting scary images through drone cameras to give the remote pilots heart attacks? Like, you do get that for people to die, they need to be in a situation where they could be hurt, right?

No, its a nazi propaganda campaign to claim that Dems don't try to represent collective interest and are secretly working to hurt all their voters to please their pizzagate masters or whatever the gently caress you think, I really do not care. You're a very useful part in that campaign.

I don't have to make an argument against the insane and contrived interpretation of what you think I wrote because you don't understand what a link is.

Well being that when we put a no fly one of Iraq. IT eventually lead to that. I can say alot of peoples fears were rightly justified. So gently caress you and your support for getting Americans killed.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Literally the opposite of what I'm saying.

edit: like I'm actually saying that you could easily convince these voters to come to grips with the fact that immigrants and minorities are also 'everyday americans', because these voters are obviously not out and proud racists.

Plan to defeat ISIS:

Destroy them
Don't let them rebuild

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:siren: If you think most Trump voters are racist, you're straight up falling for culture war bullshit :siren:

I'm Mexican. Trump and his base scared the poo poo out of me. At first I dismissed him and his supporters as rear end in a top hat, uneducated racists. (Plenty of them are)

BUT

That's exactly the narrative that the establishment Dems like to push. That "we" are the educated pluralists and "they" are the dumb rural racists. Worst part about it is, Liberals don't even fight that hard for Latino issues, or black issues. (which is why 30% of Latinos voted Trump and young PoC didn't vote) But they still subscribe to outdated culture war rivalries.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like running full tilt away from any racial issues over his career right up til he was on the national stage, and ignoring African American issues, to the point that even Sanders own outreach director admitted Sanders hadn't done anything on that front?

Source this please.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

"I want them to talk about me and my family and friends and the people I personally know in my everyday life, and less about things that dont help me, because it feels like I an being ignored."

Which is, uh, thats a sentiment you are gonna find among lots of different demographics and theres nothing inherently wrong with wanting to be recognized and catered to by politicians.

Yup. All politics is local.

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like running full tilt away from any racial issues over his career right up til he was on the national stage

This is some weird alternate history here.

quote:

Wait wait, sorry, I got my reality in the way of your attempts to claim credit for everything good and pure that has ever happened, and how those awful neoliberals are the true villains who just hate their voters so much. Lemme guess, economic leftists were responsible for the discovery of flight, the wheel, and the first 8 seasons of The Simpsons as well.

You really are whiny, aren't you?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 3, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, the question is whether you just straight up pander to their identity politics, or convince them that the immigrants and minorities are everyday Americans just like them.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

:siren: If you think most Trump voters are racist, you're straight up falling for culture war bullshit :siren:

I'm Mexican. Trump and his base scared the poo poo out of me. At first I dismissed him and his supporters as rear end in a top hat, uneducated racists. (Plenty of them are)

Is there an important distinction between plenty and most here?

quote:

BUT

That's exactly the narrative that the establishment Dems like to push. That "we" are the educated pluralists and "they" are the dumb rural racists. Worst part about it is, Liberals don't even fight that hard for Latino issues, or black issues. (which is why 30% of Latinos voted Trump and young PoC didn't vote) But they still subscribe to outdated culture war rivalries.

LOL "culture war bullshit" is exactly the narrative the right wants you to view their racism through.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Yeah, the question is whether you just straight up pander to their identity politics, or convince them that the immigrants and minorities are everyday Americans just like them.

Do you really think very many high-profile leftists and left-Democrats are going to do the former?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Maybe we could come up with a slogan like "stronger together" and elevate awesome nonwhite immigrants in our campaign to try and win them over. Like if we could find an immigrant, who's a gold star parent, who loves the constitution and who the Reublican candidate has insulted, we could really change some minds. Ooh, maybe he's a Muslim too. That would be dynamite!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Maybe we could come up with a slogan like "stronger together" and elevate awesome nonwhite immigrants in our campaign to try and win them over. Like if we could find an immigrant, who's a gold star parent, who loves the constitution and who the Reublican candidate has insulted, we could really change some minds. Ooh, maybe he's a Muslim too. That would be dynamite!

Yea I remember that guy. That was a great moment, 4 months before the election. I'm sure lots of voters had it in mind on Election Day.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

Is there an important distinction between plenty and most here?

LOL "culture war bullshit" is exactly the narrative the right wants you to view their racism through.

I can't use numbers because racism isn't quantifiable kiddo. (My deepest apologies to your wonky rear end graphs that you keep posting)

Yes, there are racists who voted Trump. But you and Fulcrum and others keep arguing that "most" Trump voters are racist. That's simply not true. And to keep pushing that line is to keep fighting the culture war. We learn nothing and gain nothing by blaming everything on racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Oh :lol: JC saying Stronger Together was a good idea.

• Locked thread