Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

minivanmegafun posted:

Do you people not have windows in your kitchens?

Did you ever take chemistry class and work under a fume hood? It's the same idea. Yes, opening windows can "work", using a recirculating hood can "work", but it's a world of difference between that and having a good, externally venting range hood.

I'm betting you guys either don't do that much high heat cooking on the range, or have never used a good hood, because the utility of it is absolutely apparent once you use one. One of the things we were always looking for when homebuying was 1) the presence of a vented hood or 2) the practicality of installing one after the fact. Luckily, we found a home with one already. After living in apartments either with no hoods or the recirculating ones for a decade, I am ecstatic to finally be able to cook without smoking/stinking the place up.

Also, "Just open the window" doesn't work so well when it's twenty degrees below freezing and you want to cook some goddamn bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

LogisticEarth posted:

Also, "Just open the window" doesn't work so well when it's twenty degrees below freezing and you want to cook some goddamn bacon.

I literally think it will be more pleasant to put on a parka, go outside and cook this poo poo on an LP grill than it will be to have to keep the windows open for 45 minutes trying to air out meat smoke.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I actually have a good restaurant-grade hood in my kitchen that's appropriately vented to the roof, but it was wired by a literal moron (spliced some lamp cord into the original wiring and plugged it into the wall) so I've never had a chance to use it. It was one of the first things I unplugged when I bought this house, along with the extension cord going from the back porch up to the attic and tacked in with nails between the conductors.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 3, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mmmmmm. Meat smoke.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

minivanmegafun posted:

tacked in with nails between the conductors.

To be fair, you do get a really good hold that way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Mmmmmm. Meat smoke.

As noted, the problem with meat smoke is that it gets on everything. Have fun scrubbing your walls!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I bought myself a Weber Genesis last year after my old grill rusted apart and have loved it so far. Use it 2-3 times a week even through the dead of winter. My parents won whatever the biggest Weber Summit series grill was back in ~2005 and that one still looks like new with regular use. My inlaws have a Spirit that's seen regular usage for 4 or 5 years now and it's holding up well, too.

I also regularly use my Genesis for smoking.

Please tell me how well this works if you leave it outside. Is your uncovered and still fine? Because that's what I want, but maybe not really possible. FYI, it snows here and I have and will continue to shovel snow off of my grill to make steak. My generic charcoal thing is rusting out after 6 or 7 years. I'll just get another and be fine with that if what I'm asking for isn't a reasonable thing.

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm betting you guys either don't do that much high heat cooking on the range, or have never used a good hood, because the utility of it is absolutely apparent once you use one.

Sorry for the lovely response but....seriously...THIS. You may not care even if you have a good hood if you don't legit cook. But if you do a nice hood is a major quality of life improvement.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As noted, the problem with meat smoke is that it gets on everything. Have fun scrubbing your walls!

What, you don't like having a thin coating of partially-polymerized rancid pork fat coating everything within six feet of your range?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrYenko posted:

What, you don't like having a thin coating of partially-polymerized rancid pork fat coating everything within six feet of your range?

The best part is how that grease then absorbs a layer of dust, lint, cat hair, etc. which creates a nice super high surface area for the next layer of grease!

...This is also why I never want exposed shelves in my kitchen. It's much nicer just cleaning cabinet doors, rather than emptying every cupboard and washing everything you own, and the shelves, every six months or whatever.

I installed a range hood but the fan is weaksauce. My dad bought the hood for me as a gift so I didn't get to pick out one with a good fan. Replacing the fan is somewhere in the high 30s on the Home Owner Things I Need To Fix One Of These Days list, though, so for now we just deal.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We did exposed shelving for our remodel and there is definitely grease on the dishes we don't use as often.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Since we're on the topic, the stove in our house is in the center of the room, with a vaulted ceiling maybe 10ft above it. So no range hood and no conventional way of getting one. The stove itself has a vent between the heating surfaces, but it is loving useless. Is there a solution for this situation if/when we redo the kitchen?

edit:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So we're getting into the season where outdoors finally REALLY makes sense to grill. I don't do a lot of the cooking around the house and I was never really bitten by the grill bug as a kid. That said, our stove in the house doesn't have a working vent fan and so the best way to cook, well, every piece of meat is by throwing it out on a grill. I have a little Weber charcoal monster that's a real hassle to use for routine cooking. Gas seems like the way to go.

Questions
1) Should I deal with the hassle of having NG plumbed out near our deck and getting a NG grill?
2) Should I put an LP grill on the wood deck, or down on the concrete patio?
3) I was thinking the Weber 3 burner Spirit (on sale from Amazon) would be a good deal at $520 new with cover. I've looked at Craigslist Webers and none look like terribly good deals.
4) Do I need all this rotisserie/infrared nonsense? If I get really super "into" this, will this setup suffice for long enough that I can buy something really obnoxious in 5 years?

I don't even grill, bro.

1) I had considered this as well, just because of the cost difference between propane and NG, but then I thought about how many tanks of propane I could buy for the several hundred bucks I'd spend doing the plumbing. I'd recommend having two propane tanks. When one goes empty, switch to the other one and get the first one filled. Getting a tank filled is way cheaper than those stupid swap-a-tank deals, btw.
2) Wherever it'll be easiest to use, IMO. The heat is at least two feet away from the surface it rests on, so if your concern is heat then it's a non issue.
3) Others already covered this. I'd have a hard time paying the money for a Weber, but the fact that you know replacement parts will be easily available for many years and that they tend to last a long time make it a little easier. I'd recommend getting a good cover. I left my non-Weber uncovered for several years and it aged pretty poorly. Grabbed a $15 heavy-duty cover off Amazon for it last year and it survived a wet Seattle winter like a champ.
4) I imagine things like a rotisserie would be available for any Weber, since they're so mainstream.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 3, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We just have an over-the-range microwave; it's not a range hood by any stretch, but it does absorb and remove odors really effectively. These things are just a recirculating fan with a filter but they seem to do the trick whenever we want to remove smells. We cook almost everything from scratch and don't encounter any of the problems being described in this thread.

We don't do a lot of pan frying; that may be a difference. Wok and dutch oven cooking hardly produces any vapor at all, and sauces obviously aren't an issue either. I guess if you're regularly using a deep fryer that would probably produce a lot more vapor than the occasional light frying that we do.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We have windows AND french doors and we can still lay down enough thick bacon smoke that the dog thinks the house is burning down.

It sounds to me like you're overcooking your bacon; common wisom is that bacon comes out best when cooked slowly under low heat. You should get some smoke but you seem to be describing a significant amount more than what's normal.

Are you letting your bacon warm up a bit or are you slapping it into a pan cold? That can also make a big difference

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Please tell me how well this works if you leave it outside. Is your uncovered and still fine? Because that's what I want, but maybe not really possible. FYI, it snows here and I have and will continue to shovel snow off of my grill to make steak. My generic charcoal thing is rusting out after 6 or 7 years. I'll just get another and be fine with that if what I'm asking for isn't a reasonable thing.

We're in the Chicago area, so the grills I mentioned see plenty of weather abuse. My parents and my in laws both keep their grills covered whenever they're not in use. I have a cover I sometimes use, but we have a big covered deck right off our kitchen that my grill sits on that shells like shields it from everything but sideways rain.

Like I said I've only had mine for a year, but after seeing how well my parent's has held up for over a decade now, I felt it was worth the extra money for something I use almost as frequently as our range.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

We just have an over-the-range microwave; it's not a range hood by any stretch, but it does absorb and remove odors really effectively. These things are just a recirculating fan with a filter but they seem to do the trick whenever we want to remove smells. We cook almost everything from scratch and don't encounter any of the problems being described in this thread.

We don't do a lot of pan frying; that may be a difference. Wok and dutch oven cooking hardly produces any vapor at all, and sauces obviously aren't an issue either. I guess if you're regularly using a deep fryer that would probably produce a lot more vapor than the occasional light frying that we do.

It sounds to me like you're overcooking your bacon; common wisom is that bacon comes out best when cooked slowly under low heat. You should get some smoke but you seem to be describing a significant amount more than what's normal.

Are you letting your bacon warm up a bit or are you slapping it into a pan cold? That can also make a big difference

Yeah I'm cooking from scratch nearly every night of the week and I very rarely have any sort of smoke or grease problems. I do cook in the slow and low side, though.

I also don't sear steaks because it isn't necessary.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

You missed the most important part of the article:

quote:

That doesn't mean that we should not sear. Searing produces brown products by the Malliard Reaction and carmelization

Searing steak in a 500°F cast iron pan is the only way to fly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

You missed the most important part of the article:

Not true; you can cook a steak on a range at ~350-400 and get a beautiful, delicious sear as well. A higher temperature just gets you a faster sear, not a better sear, but it comes at the price of additional mess. Obviously the thickness of the meat matters a lot; for super thin cuts you need higher heat, so just don't buy skirt steaks and you're good

e: If you absolutely must sear things as fast as possible you can also cut down on smoke by using a broiler pan with a bunch of rock salt beneath the grating to soak up the grease; the downside to this is you don't get any pan juices. I prefer just cooking in a cast iron pan on the range at a lower temperature, which results in perfectly-cooked, perfectly seared steaks every time

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 3, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LogisticEarth posted:

500° is simply the beginning. "As hot as your range will realistically allow" is even better.

As for vaulted ceilings and non-wall mounted ranges, they most certainly do no preclude you from getting a decent evacuation hood:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
What kind of wok cooking are you doing that doesn't produce lots of smoke and aerosolized grease?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Senor P. posted:

We're getting ready to replace the last of the windows, but the old walls are built from 2x4.

My question is on re-doing the outside of the house. Is my best option to add concrete board over the existing stuff? Or is drilling 2x4 or 2x6 to the outside and adding insulation and putting stuff over that possible?

I love this house and the location but I feel like the utilities part of it are a bit of a 'gotcha'...

If I was building a new house, I would probably use two, 2x6s for the outside wall. (You can never really go wrong with extra insulation...)
What's up 2x4 construction buddy?

If the windows are really poo poo, see what happens after just replacing them. We had a few that were original to the house (1973) and were sieves. Despite the cost, we had them professionally replaced (and replaced the bow and bay windows with double-hungs) and the rooms hold temperature dramatically better.

The only real booger room in the house is the downstairs half bath which flooded about 15 years ago and they clearly didn't replace the insulation so in the winter it's cold as poo poo despite being surrounded by rooms that are properly insulated.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

We're in the Chicago area, so the grills I mentioned see plenty of weather abuse. My parents and my in laws both keep their grills covered whenever they're not in use. I have a cover I sometimes use, but we have a big covered deck right off our kitchen that my grill sits on that shells like shields it from everything but sideways rain.

Like I said I've only had mine for a year, but after seeing how well my parent's has held up for over a decade now, I felt it was worth the extra money for something I use almost as frequently as our range.

That sounds promising. My problem with gill covers is that since I use it all the time I end up destroying one or two a winter when it's going through freeze/thaw cycles and some part of the cover is frozen or stuck to the grill.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

That sounds promising. My problem with gill covers is that since I use it all the time I end up destroying one or two a winter when it's going through freeze/thaw cycles and some part of the cover is frozen or stuck to the grill.

I was getting wasps nests in mine within days of preciously using the grill, so I started leaving the cover off, and just never put it back on in the winter.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I budget a new grill every 3 years. That is about how long the cheap ones last without a cover. If you buy them in the late fall they get pretty cheap in snow country. I usually get a charbroil IR one for $150. I grill every month. (Yes I will die of cancer if my arteries don't get clogged and kill me first). I have dumpster at work to dispose of the bodies or someone on craigslist will usually come get it for scrap.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Kinfolk Jones posted:

While we're on the subject of natural gas, I have a question regarding a fire pit table. Would this be a good location to put one? It is about 124" from floor to ceiling. We have a natural gas line that runs almost exactly where we would want it and hope we can take advantage even though this is a covered patio. Thoughts?

This was from last page, but you might want to check what sort of impact this would have on your home insurance. I imagine 'installing a fire under the roof with no chimney' is going to be one of those things that fucks with your coverage.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What is directly above it? Could you install a vent fan?

Above that is a balcony off of our master bed, so a vent wouldn't be realistic I think.

Ashcans posted:

This was from last page, but you might want to check what sort of impact this would have on your home insurance. I imagine 'installing a fire under the roof with no chimney' is going to be one of those things that fucks with your coverage.

That's a very good point.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Kinfolk Jones posted:

While we're on the subject of natural gas, I have a question regarding a fire pit table. Would this be a good location to put one? It is about 124" from floor to ceiling. We have a natural gas line that runs almost exactly where we would want it and hope we can take advantage even though this is a covered patio. Thoughts?

Have you thought about using blankets or warm clothing instead? They are much safer.

Seriously guys we are talking about like 50k BTUs 10' away from drywall. I doubt the drywall will even get more than a couple degrees warmer than the outside temp. I have a firepit under a covered porch and you can keep your hand like 2 feet above the fire as long as you want. I don't think he needs to tell his insurance company and I don't think he needs to install a vent fan.

Though now that I say that the fire marshall guy is going to come in here and mention how a similar setup caused a fire that killed 10 orphans and 3 dogs.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 3, 2017

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I had no idea when I bought a house that I had to suddenly get really passionate about fatty meats and cook 85 pounds of bacon every week.

I have a $50 Fred Meyer propane grill that has lasted me three years so far and still looks and works just fine. I bought a cover for it since I live in raintopia. Also I grill maybe a couple dozen times over the summer and I've only refilled the tank once.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Though now that I say that the fire marshall guy is going to come in here and mention how a similar setup caused a fire that killed 10 orphans and 3 dogs.

The fire marshal (one "l") guy is cringing at this idea, and doubting it's to code in most places.

Also, the cut sheet/instructions from a hopefully UL listed appliance like that are likely to prohibit it being installed this way, which makes is against code immediately and will come with insurance implications should something go wrong.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Above that is a balcony off of our master bed, so a vent wouldn't be realistic I think.

No you could still use it. Just install the vent in the ceiling and run the pipe horizontally so the fumes exhaust at the edge of the balcony.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Motronic posted:

The fire marshal (one "l") guy is cringing at this idea, and doubting it's to code in most places.

Also, the cut sheet/instructions from a hopefully UL listed appliance like that are likely to prohibit it being installed this way, which makes is against code immediately and will come with insurance implications should something go wrong.

I couldn't find anything in the Ohio code before I put mine under a covered porch. And I don't think there was anything in the instructions but I will check when I get home.

Wouldn't a 50k BTU fireplace 10' from the ceiling be safer than a 25k BTU range in a kitchen?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Wouldn't a 50k BTU fireplace 10' from the ceiling be safer than a 25k BTU range in a kitchen?

That really depends on fuels and materials. Also, the range is rarely putting out it's full BTU potential and is to be installed with an appropriately rated hood above it......so when properly installed.....yes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Does code these days require an external vent for the hood above the range? Neither of the homes I've owned have had one and nor do my parents or in-laws' homes built in the mid-90's.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Does code these days require an external vent for the hood above the range? Neither of the homes I've owned have had one and nor do my parents or in-laws' homes built in the mid-90's.

Most domestic ranges do not require an externally vented hood - but there is still a specifically designed hood. This is very different from having <insert random wall or ceiling finish here> above it. Even completely unpowered hoods deflect and radiate heat by design.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Nothing lights this thread up quite like grill chat

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Installed my new Ecobee3 thermostat! Manufacturer has discounted it to $199, many places like Walmart have put it on clearance. New version coming, I suspect

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Axiem posted:

Nothing lights this thread up quite like grill chat

It definitely sparked - oh gently caress it.

So Weber Spirit E330 - that should be good for regular grilling for 2 along with a weekly or so cookout for more (up to, say, 20 people) yeah?

On a non-grilling note, gutters: my home does not have them and I wish to get them: vinyl, aluminum or steel? What do I need to know before getting gutters other than "aim water away from the house/foundation"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Make sure they're properly sized based on how fast your roof sheds water. Maybe do a single piece then run it with a hose test.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

metztli posted:

What do I need to know before getting gutters other than "aim water away from the house/foundation"?

Make sure you know which direction your property drains if you ever get ground soaking downpours. You will want to make sure you're funneling water that direction. See if someone will pay for you to install rain barrels or if it's super illegal.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Grillchat, cont'd. The Weber Genesis is the sweet spot if you grill a lot. I grill probably 4 days a week in Spring/Summer/Fall. The only thing I'd change is that I'd get the one with the sear station. This is mine after 3 years, probably 50% of the time covered.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rurutia posted:

What kind of wok cooking are you doing that doesn't produce lots of smoke and aerosolized grease?

This may be another instance of "consistent heat is better than max heat". Pad Phet is a staple in our household and doesn't really benefit from a smoking pool of oil; that's a sign of using too much of the wrong oil or too much heat

Likewise we will make a curry such as Vindaloo in the wok and it also doesn't require tons of oil or insane heat; the traditional style is to use very high heat but it simply isn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

metztli posted:

What do I need to know before getting gutters other than "aim water away from the house/foundation"?

Might as well get them covered in one of the meshes/whatever the protects leaves from accumulating in there, unless you live in Vegas 100 ft from the nearest tree or something.