Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I saw a tip mention bait, but nothing I've tried works. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Argue posted:

I was really confused when I saw everyone talking about how big Hyrule Castle is because I went there and aside from the study outside all I found was the Sanctum. Then I tried one of the approaches one of the stable people said and infiltrated from much lower and boy, I saw what everyone meant. It must be at least as big as a region from Metroid Prime.

I'm pretty sure I still haven't seen all of it and I spent like an hour poking around in there. I know for sure I missed at least one part of the castle.

I'm sorta used to Zelda dungeons falling into one of two categories: either they're complex puzzle dungeons, or they're straightforward, charge-through-and-fight-things dungeons (like storming Hyrule Castle at the end of the Light World in Link to the Past, or returning to the Forsaken Fortress after getting the Master Sword in Wind Waker). BotW's Hyrule Castle is a complex dungeon based on combat and exploration rather than puzzles and that feels like a really new thing. I hope they keep that sort of dungeon around in the future.

Argue posted:

And it should have darknuts and redeads.

Hell yes I want Darknuts and ReDeads. Bring back Wind Waker Darknuts specifically, with the dog heads and sweet martial arts moves when you disarm them. I want them to be minibosses where you have to remove their armor before you can damage them. Some of them could have metal armor so you can Magnesis it off, but then the higher-rank ones have armor made from whatever Guardians are made of so it isn't magnetic and you have to find another way.

They could also use the ReDead Knights from Twilight Princess if they want to limit the number of enemies without weapons to steal. They're basically just ReDeads with weapons so that's fine.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 3, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I wish there were more interior dungeon type things. Like, I thought you go into Akkala citadel but you just climb the stairs around it.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
My biggest regret is not exploring the castle sooner. The guardians in there are pretty easy to avoid if you take five seconds to survey the area before you jump in; the enemies inside fairly easy to dispatch; and the loot is fairly great -- except by the time I got there, Lynel hunting was getting me everything I needed. It's well worth going in there as soon as you can for the Hylian Shield, which has an explicit use against guardians.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There's also a lot of cool poo poo hidden in weird places. Like a cache of ancient arrows in the top of the tower Ganon's in.

Not to mention Zelda and the King's diaries which are v. good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heh, I never found the king's diary.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zore posted:

There's also a lot of cool poo poo hidden in weird places. Like a cache of ancient arrows in the top of the tower Ganon's in.

Not to mention Zelda and the King's diaries which are v. good.

Oh? Which part of the Castle is the King's diary in? Zelda diary + Memories did a really great job with her and Links backstory.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BexGu posted:

Oh? Which part of the Castle is the King's diary in? Zelda diary + Memories did a really great job with her and Links backstory.

Its sort of hidden behind a door you have to move with Magnesis in the interior.

Here's a video that shows where. https://youtu.be/lOl9bkCbd8g

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
On my second playthrough after getting all shrines and killing all overworld bosses. If my first playthrough was Operation Map This loving Kingdom, my second is basically Operation "Where We're Going, We Don't Need Maps!" I'm not activating a single map tower outside the Great Plateau. Pro HUD is on. I aim to get lost, and it's working. I'm still finding new places! It's absurd. At times, it legitimately feels like the game is being procedurally generated as I explore it.

One thing that going mapless has done is help me figure out where things are in relation to each other. It might sound kind of odd, but even with a map I was thinking of a lot of places as being a lot father apart than they actually are. Also, it's making me take more footpaths, since I no longer have any glowing dots to make a direct line towards, and... guys, seriously, just walk places sometimes. The game is loaded with totally intuitive and easy-to-follow footpaths that lead you to neat places and cool encounters that I completely missed my first time through because I was so enamored with climbing. And climbing isn't bad, I'm not saying you should stop, I'm just saying to try other things sometimes.

For example, in this playthrough, I've discovered there is a direct path from the Kakariko Great Fairy to the plains where you have to tame the buck, and Lanayru Promenade/Naydra Snowfield/Mount Lanayru. There is also a footpath from the Woodland Stables to the peak where a memory is hidden. It took me FOREVER to find that peak the first playthrough because I was just gliding from peak to peak trying to find it.The game literally lays a path to it. It wants you to find it! Also, if I had taken the path up Akkala Citadel instead of just determinedly climbing it like a goober, I would've figured out how to get up the tower much easier because I would've seen all the huge magnesis-able objects and probably brought one with me.

In conclusion, this game is cool and good and HUGE.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Regy Rusty posted:

The game really wants you to poke your nose in there early though. In addition to the memory, there's two quests that require you to go there.

Those are side-quests though, and not part of any Main Quests like finding the memories are.

Hyrule Castle is clearly labeled as "the end game", and it's natural that normal players don't want to go into something like that until every other Normal Story thing is done (but not a full 100%). I'm in complete agreement that putting a picture there wasn't a good decision.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Harrow posted:

That's the 100-meter one (actually I think the guide says 500 meters). That range is long enough that you basically don't have to account for arrow drop in any realistic scenario, especially not in the only fight you get to use it in. The Twilight Bow's range is comical.

For reference, the best range for a normal, general-use bow that you can get without amiibo is 40 meters--that's the Duplex Bow, Phrenic Bow, and all of the Rito bows. Most bows have a range of 20 meters. So 500 meters is already insane.

Whoops. Just double-checked and yeah, it's 500 meters. Also that video doesn't start at Tabantha Tower, it starts at another tower closer to Hyrule Field. Herpaderp.

Doesn't change the fact that the Twilight Bow is absolutely obscene and I hate that Nintendo charges you $12.99 for it, IF you can find the amiibo in the first place.

Argue posted:

I was really confused when I saw everyone talking about how big Hyrule Castle is because I went there and aside from the study outside all I found was the Sanctum. Then I tried one of the approaches one of the stable people said and infiltrated from much lower and boy, I saw what everyone meant. It must be at least as big as a region from Metroid Prime.

I hope the DLC dungeon is a pseudo-roguelike dungeon in that it's bigger than Hyrule Castle and goes deeper and deeper and progressively more difficult. And it should have darknuts and redeads. Also I hope you can just switch hard mode on instead of starting the game over.

I can't even imagine how obnoxious a Darknut fight would be with degradable weapons. It'd take half of my stick of choice's durability just to get its armor off before I could actually start damaging it. I could only see it working as a special end-of-area boss that gives you its armor afterwards as an equippable set.

gently caress Redeads too, getting frozen by Ice Keese/Chuchus in this game is annoying enough.

I hear a lot of people complain about enemy variety in this game but I honestly believe the developers made the best choices they could considering how they backed themselves into a corner with the durability system. Weapons break so frequently that if the devs put a lot of enemies in the game that don't carry weapons, it would actively hurt the player's experience. It's why we don't see Bari, Kargoroks, Peahats, Tektites, Skulltulas, or Leevers in this game. The few weaponless enemies that the developers did put in also wound up having low health because of this.

With this in mind, I dunno what other enemies they could put in and still maintain the game's balance. Maybe monsters that don't use weapons could have their body parts fall off like the Stalfos arms in this game. Bombchu tails as explosive flails, Skulltula legs as boomerangs...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Argue posted:

Also I hope you can just switch hard mode on instead of starting the game over.

I hope you do have to start a new game to play Hard Mode because they make it a huge transformative experience that lets you experience the game with a fresh perspective all over again like the second quest from Zelda NES

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I have added Thunderblight Ganon to my long and distinguished list of video game enemies that can eat a big ole' dick!

After about a dozen attempts at him, I made it to the final phase and for some reason wasn't expecting him to laser me and completely freaked out and died lol. I think I'll get him the next time...think...but man he is a bastard. The camel was the most annoying to deal with so far (I've done Elephant and Lizard) as well. I cannot wait to move on from this drat camel and area!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Roundabout Route posted:

Doesn't change the fact that the Twilight Bow is absolutely obscene and I hate that Nintendo charges you $12.99 for it, IF you can find the amiibo in the first place.

It's dumb that an amiibo weapon is that ridiculously overpowered, but I'm glad it's not available in-game normally. Honestly I don't really want a bow that stupidly good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I have been scanning amiibos constantly and have not seen the Twilight Bow. I also refuse to save scum.

Working as intended.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

weird Asian candy posted:

I have added Thunderblight Ganon to my long and distinguished list of video game enemies that can eat a big ole' dick!

After about a dozen attempts at him, I made it to the final phase and for some reason wasn't expecting him to laser me and completely freaked out and died lol. I think I'll get him the next time...think...but man he is a bastard. The camel was the most annoying to deal with so far (I've done Elephant and Lizard) as well. I cannot wait to move on from this drat camel and area!

Same. I've got 2 more terminals to find and it's driving me insane. Naboris is my last Divine Beast, too.

Speaking of: I've got about 90 shrines done, and like I said, one beast left--aside from an online guide or just wandering around semi-aimlessly, is there any efficient way to find out what side-quests I have left to find/activate, and a faster way to find shrines?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Same. I've got 2 more terminals to find and it's driving me insane. Naboris is my last Divine Beast, too.

Speaking of: I've got about 90 shrines done, and like I said, one beast left--aside from an online guide or just wandering around semi-aimlessly, is there any efficient way to find out what side-quests I have left to find/activate, and a faster way to find shrines?

Wandering in areas of the map where you don't have dots is usually the best way to find Shrines. Its how I found all but 4 (those are bastards)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ventana posted:

Those are side-quests though, and not part of any Main Quests like finding the memories are.

Hyrule Castle is clearly labeled as "the end game", and it's natural that normal players don't want to go into something like that until every other Normal Story thing is done (but not a full 100%). I'm in complete agreement that putting a picture there wasn't a good decision.

I just don't agree. Hyrule Castle is supposed to be an exciting challenge that is always available. It's a core part of the way the openness of the game works that the game makes a big point of telling you "You don't need to wait until the end to go look around in here! Check it out!" Yes there's only one main quest part that asks you to go their early, but players will definitely encounter at least some of the other things telling them that they don't need to stay away from there. Putting a memory in there was absolutely a good choice because it fits in consistently with everything else about how the game was designed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twilight Princess playthrough:

I did Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak Ruins yesterday and they were both pretty fun.

I'm really conflicted on the spinner as a Zelda item. On the one hand, it's pretty fun in its dungeon and it's definitely a unique idea. But the problem is that it's just too specific. I think spinning tops would've made more sense as a dungeon-specific gimmick than as a permanent item you keep--just have the tops as items you can pick up and move around in the dungeon, and jump on top of to ride around or spin gears. All of the uses of the spinner outside of Arbiter's Grounds feel really shoehorned-in and unnatural. And I feel the same way about the ball-and-chain from Snowpeak Ruins. It's even less broadly-applicable than the usual hammer item. It's fun and cool in its dungeon and then just kind of there once you're out. I think I see now why Twilight Princess gives you the boomerang, bow, bombs, and clawshot so early: they're the ones that feel the most natural to use and actually contribute to your ability to get around and fight in the overworld much more than the later items do. I know the dual clawshot is coming, though, and I'm looking forward to that.

Snowpeak Ruins was a cool dungeon, though. I remember in Mark Brown's Boss Keys video on Twilight Princess, he really hated how Yeta tells you where to go, but I think he pretty thoroughly missed the point. Sure, the map tells you where you want to go, but it doesn't tell you how to get there, and that gets trickier with each destination. And it contributes to the dungeon's storyline, in which Yeta's mind is being taken over by the mirror shard you're there to get. She sends you after the wrong thing twice, driving home how she's mentally slipping away, and bringing the food items to Yeto is funny and endearing. Not every dungeon has to be the Water Temple, y'know? Dungeons can have different goals and try to be different experiences.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I ended up having to look up the last 2 shrines. The last 10 or so I really needed the shrine radar to find because they were behind bomb-able walls and poo poo that I wouldn't have seen unless I happened to look at where they are. I had the shrine radar off for most of the game until I got to around 100 shrines

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Reinanigans posted:

It is annoying as gently caress, I ended up scrapping the guide I was using and doing my own thing because it was too confusing to try going off the guide...that finally worked for me.

For the shrines, this is a nice guide for the locations and how to get them. I'm going to need to hit some up for that Master Sword...

http://www.gosunoob.com/zelda-breath-of-wild/shrines-where-to-find-how-to-complete/

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm sure finding the next 10-20 or so shouldn't be too difficult, but it's nice to hear I don't need to feel ashamed about looking up a guide for the last few.

So I just looked up the insane properties of the Twilight Bow "It has maxed Range (8000 - next highest is around 100), highest durability (at 120, Ancient Bow is in second place with 100 but third place is around 40), and fires special Arrows that add bonus damage to your shots."

:stare:

I have 2 Six Sages swords, and the generic "sword" from LoZ. I've also gotten a bunch of the Wind Waker boomerangs. Do any of them have any hidden properties?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I looked up the last two shrines I was missing and I feel bad because one of them was in a place I was gonna check out anyway, but I never would have found the other one because it was buried in a place I thought I had fully charted

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I just don't agree. Hyrule Castle is supposed to be an exciting challenge that is always available. It's a core part of the way the openness of the game works that the game makes a big point of telling you "You don't need to wait until the end to go look around in here! Check it out!" Yes there's only one main quest part that asks you to go their early, but players will definitely encounter at least some of the other things telling them that they don't need to stay away from there. Putting a memory in there was absolutely a good choice because it fits in consistently with everything else about how the game was designed.

I think my issue is just the atmosphere of it all. Hyrule Castle's soundtrack feels like it was written with a build-up to the final showdown in mind. Going there for any other reason feels dissonant with the atmosphere of the whole thing, and once you're there for the actual final battle, the music has lots its impact.

What I'd have done, if Hyrule Castle is supposed to be both the final dungeon and a place you go to multiple times, would be to have two soundtracks for it. Something slower, quieter, written to induce dread and drive home how dangerous the place is at first, but then replace it with the big, bombastic, climactic music it has now once you have all the memories and have freed all the Divine Beasts. Yes, that means that you won't hear that awesome climactic music if you decide to do the final battle before getting all the memories and/or freeing all the Divine Beats, but that actually seems appropriate to me. Something that creates an atmosphere of dread and danger seems appropriate for "oh god, I think I might be here before I'm really prepared to," while the current track sounds heroic and powerful, which is appropriate for going in there with your memory restored, the Master Sword in hand, and the Divine Beasts at your back.

That'd basically solve all of my issues with it. I know it might seem shallow or stupid, but I think maintaining a unique atmosphere for "gently caress yes, I'm storming the castle and gonna stab Ganon in the face" is worth caring about. And hell, maybe it's just me. Maybe everyone else had no problem with it and I'm just a weird nerd.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think my issue is just the atmosphere of it all. Hyrule Castle's soundtrack feels like it was written with a build-up to the final showdown in mind. Going there for any other reason feels dissonant with the atmosphere of the whole thing, and once you're there for the actual final battle, the music has lots its impact.

What I'd have done, if Hyrule Castle is supposed to be both the final dungeon and a place you go to multiple times, would be to have two soundtracks for it. Something slower, quieter, written to induce dread and drive home how dangerous the place is at first, but then replace it with the big, bombastic, climactic music it has now once you have all the memories and have freed all the Divine Beasts. Yes, that means that you won't hear that awesome climactic music if you decide to do the final battle before getting all the memories and/or freeing all the Divine Beats, but that actually seems appropriate to me. Something that creates an atmosphere of dread and danger seems appropriate for "oh god, I think I might be here before I'm really prepared to," while the current track sounds heroic and powerful, which is appropriate for going in there with your memory restored, the Master Sword in hand, and the Divine Beasts at your back.

That'd basically solve all of my issues with it. I know it might seem shallow or stupid, but I think maintaining a unique atmosphere for "gently caress yes, I'm storming the castle and gonna stab Ganon in the face" is worth caring about. And hell, maybe it's just me. Maybe everyone else had no problem with it and I'm just a weird nerd.

That's fair. It didn't bother me but then I very deliberately explored as little as possible on each of my earlier attempts, so I didn't get the full effect of the music. Then on my final approach I walked through every part of the castle systematically. It wasn't until then that I really understood the whole layout and the music really sunk in.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I just found out you can pick up the heads of stal-enemies and punt them. I had 3 lizalfos skeletons chasing after a head I kicked down a hill :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

El Burbo posted:

I looked up the last two shrines I was missing and I feel bad because one of them was in a place I was gonna check out anyway, but I never would have found the other one because it was buried in a place I thought I had fully charted

There is something amazing about having, like, 116 shrines, suddenly having your Sheikah Slate point to one, and going "HOW AM I STILL FINDING AREAS I HAVEN'T EXPLORED?"

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Roundabout Route posted:

Whoops. Just double-checked and yeah, it's 500 meters. Also that video doesn't start at Tabantha Tower, it starts at another tower closer to Hyrule Field. Herpaderp.

I can't even imagine how obnoxious a Darknut fight would be with degradable weapons. It'd take half of my stick of choice's durability just to get its armor off before I could actually start damaging it. I could only see it working as a special end-of-area boss that gives you its armor afterwards as an equippable set.

gently caress Redeads too, getting frozen by Ice Keese/Chuchus in this game is annoying enough.

I hear a lot of people complain about enemy variety in this game but I honestly believe the developers made the best choices they could considering how they backed themselves into a corner with the durability system. Weapons break so frequently that if the devs put a lot of enemies in the game that don't carry weapons, it would actively hurt the player's experience. It's why we don't see Bari, Kargoroks, Peahats, Tektites, Skulltulas, or Leevers in this game. The few weaponless enemies that the developers did put in also wound up having low health because of this.

With this in mind, I dunno what other enemies they could put in and still maintain the game's balance. Maybe monsters that don't use weapons could have their body parts fall off like the Stalfos arms in this game. Bombchu tails as explosive flails, Skulltula legs as boomerangs...

i think darknuts would fall into the same slot as lynels, a rare challenge you go out of the way to do for their drops. For low/mid tier stuff, I'd definately want helmarocks (free shields) and likelikes. Maybe the crow from mm. There isn't much else i can think of that would use or give gear.

I definately like that they went back to the obscure enemies to bring lynels in.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lynels aren't that obscure, theyve just never been in a 3D zelda. They were in LBW most recently before BoTW

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Don't forget Hinox! :rolleye:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I love the Hinox, you can stealth onto them, or cut their necklace to get the treasure and run away if you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Roundabout Route posted:

I agree with frodnonnag's take that Darknuts would be like Lynels, super tough enemies who spawn in specific locations and who provide a high level of challenge. They wouldn't be rank-and-file enemies. Also, if they were like Wind Waker Darknuts, you could do specific things to knock their armor off rather than just beating on them and breaking your weapons on their armor. Lower-ranked Darknuts could have metal armor that you can either blast off with a bomb blast to the back or by hitting them a couple times to loosen it and then using Magnesis (bonus: then you can smack them around with their own armor). Higher-ranked ones might have non-metallic armor, made from the same material as Guardians, but you could bait out slower attacks and hit them in the weaker armor in the back to knock it off, perhaps. Or do something where there's a unique interaction like Lynels as a third option, where you can momentarily stun them, maybe with a shock arrow to the helmet, and then press A to do a cool "slice off all their armor" special attack. It wouldn't have to be a "just beat on them forever" slog.

ReDead Knights from Twilight Princess could work, with some tweaks. You're right that being frozen is a pain, but what if the shriek was an attack you could avoid? Maybe they need to make direct eye contact and each time you hit them their head jerks backwards and it takes them a few seconds to re-establish eye contact with you, so you have a moment to circle behind them, or put up your shield to break line-of-sight. Fighting them in a group of enemies would be an interesting challenge, because they'd sort of become a priority target--you'll want to take them out first so you don't accidentally make eye contact and get frozen. I say the ReDead Knights in particular because they have weapons they can drop.

I like the idea of Helmarocs or Helmasaurs where you can bomb off their shell or hit them in the back and then use the shell as a shield, and Skulltulas dropping their legs. There's also room for a couple more enemy types that don't necessarily drop weapons, like maybe Wolfos (basically just upgrade the wolves into actual enemies) or Tektites.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I fell in the camp of people that didn't go into Hyrule castle until I was ready to take down Ganon. I was missing the single memory in the castle, so I got it on the way.

With the dramatic music, zeldas diaries , and everything else I had been through to get there, I was too amped to leave and confronted ganon right there after obtaining the last memory. or so I thought...

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2017

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Roundabout Route posted:

If they do another Breath of the Wild-style Zelda, they should add in an unarmed punch attack as an emergency option. Your fists wouldn't be able to break, but punching things would drain stamina (plus its attack power would be minimal). That might free things up to include more enemies that don't drop weapons.

Though, I could see an armor set being included to boost your unarmed attack, in case you wanted to do a Karate Link gimmick run. Or gauntlet/glove weapons that act as stronger punch attacks but have weapon durability.

As for additional enemies, I'm kind of surprised there aren't any Like-Likes, which seem like they'd gel well with the weapon durability system. They'd probably end up dropping a bunch of random shields and weapons when killed.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Roundabout Route posted:

Like Likes are an obvious miss, considering they steal shields in the old games and could just as easily have an excuse to dump good shields or even other equipment (or even give another enemy the ability to eat off rust instead of just one type of Octorok).

And I don't think that terribly matters anyway because it's not like Moldugas don't just explode into treasure chests.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've been on three trips into Hyrule Castle and I still have one more beast to deal with. I think the castle is great and the only thing I'd change is making it bigger and badder.

First trip in I was way under powered and it was scary and tense and I avoided combat when possible. Second trip in I was a bit more confident but still cautious. Third trip in I was prepared and confident and explored a bunch. Still haven't found everything there is to be found and I'm excited fort my next expedition in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wyvernil posted:

If they do another Breath of the Wild-style Zelda, they should add in an unarmed punch attack as an emergency option. Your fists wouldn't be able to break, but punching things would drain stamina (plus its attack power would be minimal). That might free things up to include more enemies that don't drop weapons.

The other option would be to not use weapon durability in another big, wide-open Zelda. It's cool in Breath of the Wild and I do like it in this game, but it fits because you're in a pretty much post-apocalyptic Hyrule (a pretty livable post-apocalypse, but still) and it makes sense that you're scavenging your equipment. The next one might not have that sort of setting, so it might make more sense to just give you a set of weapons with different strengths and weaknesses instead. Then they wouldn't need to make any design concessions to make weapon durability more sustainable.

I really do hope the next big Zelda has this degree of freedom and exploration, even if it ends up with a more narrative structure and not totally non-linear. (Again, I really love the total non-linearity in Breath of the Wild, but I don't want Nintendo to just keep repeating Breath of the Wild like they repeated Ocarina of Time so many times. Keep the stuff that's great and exciting and then do something new with it.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

Though, I could see an armor set being included to boost your unarmed attack, in case you wanted to do a Karate Link gimmick run. Or gauntlet/glove weapons that act as stronger punch attacks but have weapon durability.

As for additional enemies, I'm kind of surprised there aren't any Like-Likes, which seem like they'd gel well with the weapon durability system. They'd probably end up dropping a bunch of random shields and weapons when killed.

Add gauntlets as a weapon type.

Also ball and chain. Let me live the Hyrule Warriors dream :getin:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want runner armor DLC set that makes you run faster, and upgraded reduces the consumption of stamina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If they do another Zelda in the same vein as BotW I would actually be fine if they still had a limited number of big, "real" dungeons as long as they had more labyrinths. Those really gave me a Zelda 1 vibe, partially because they called the dungeons in that game 'labyrinths,' but also for the mysterious feel and not really knowing what to expect. I think there's a lot they could do with them. In BotW we got a basement full of guardians, a lizalfos encampment, blight puzzles, and the dark island (for all intents and purposes I'd count it as a labyrinth). They feel dungeon-y while also feeling like part of the world, which is really great.

Calaveron posted:

I want runner armor DLC set that makes you run faster, and upgraded reduces the consumption of stamina

Postman's uniform :v: