Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

So is anybody else planning to marathon all the films before the new one comes out?

I do a rewatch almost every year. So probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Anytime someone criticizes AOTC and drops the "sand" line like it's some kind of expert mic drop I can't help but wonder if they've even seen then film since 2002 with the intention of trying to enjoy it.

Was The Phantom Menace the first film to really suffer from the "wisdom of the internet" phenomenon where a bunch of nerds basically created a unified opinion of the film before it was widely meme-ified and became accepted Truth?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Lampsacus posted:

So is anybody else planning to marathon all the films before the new one comes out?

The movie theater near me did a marathon of all 7 when TFA came out and was pretty fun despite clocking in at about 20 hours spent at the theater. I'll probably do it again for The Last Jedi if I can somehow convince my friends to go again. It probably helped that the entire theater had these recliners instead of normal seats.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pops Mgee posted:

The movie theater near me did a marathon of all 7 when TFA came out and was pretty fun despite clocking in at about 20 hours spent at the theater. I'll probably do it again for The Last Jedi if I can somehow convince my friends to go again. It probably helped that the entire theater had these recliners instead of normal seats.

I'm the customer complaining to the ushers that toilets should be installed in the recliners

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lampsacus posted:

Doing it right now, but not a literal marathon. Just working through them over the course of a week or so. Just got back from a family trip to Disney and wife realized that she probably should get around to finally watching them considering myself and my three boys going crazy down there.

Middle of AOTC right now. Not as bad as TPM. We are watching in order of release date, the only proper way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This is kind of interesting. Apparently StarWars.com posted some unused Lucas interview outtakes from during the development of the The Phantom Menace that I don't think I've seen before. The most interesting bit is at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRZtFPDxi4

INTERVIEWER: Do you think you are going to get closer to your vision on Episode I than you were with the original Star Wars?

LUCAS: I don’t know. I think I hopefully will be able to get closer to what I am putting down on the page and what I am imagining things to be like. Part of it I think is age. When I was young, I had ambitions for something to be brilliant and when it became less than brilliant I was very upset about it. And, I mean, who knows, maybe it’s better that way. The things that have come out that have come out exactly the way I wanted them to come out have not been very successful. [Laughs.]

Of course, depending on your view of Lucas, this reads as either bitter irony or further evidence that Lucas is more self-aware than people give him credit for and genuinely values his own creative vision over critical or financial success.

Ammanas posted:

There's a difference between structured , poetic language and the absolute garbage rear end teenage drek Lucas wrote. 'not naturalism' is far from it's problem.

Well, you either like it or you don't, but the dialogue is pretty clearly structured as a poetic contrast between Anakin's gritty, hardscrabble slave upbringing on Tatooine and Padme's soothing, idyllic childhood on Naboo. In other words, the main reason he's so obsessed with Padme and everything she represents, and also the main thing that is drawing Padme to Anakin as a damaged individual in need of saving. The meme that he's just randomly talking about sand for no reason and that this is inexplicably written to turn Padme on is a criticism that is made in less than good faith, I think.

Their courtship conversation is structured as a contrast between sand and water. The entire movie is visually structured around that dichotomy. Obi-Wan and Anakin go on parallel journeys to watery planets teeming with life and romance and then leave those places for sand-covered planets offering only death and war. And this isn't just freshman college film class bullshit, these are things discussed by Lucas and even Natalie Portman on the film commentaries.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Marathons are a terrible way to watch films.

If you just want to celebrate your consumerism it's something to do, I suppose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There needs to be a Hyper Nerdlinger Order, where A New Hope is preceded by Triumph of the Will and followed by Hidden Fortress, and the series ends with THX 1138 followed by Metropolis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sassassin posted:

What's the proper and correct way to worship capitalism?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Full communism now.

sent from my iphone

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Merchandising!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Marathons are a wholly good and proper way to watch films intended to be sequential. I think it can also underline how bad some sequels are - for example, I can see how it'd be much easier to delude yourself into thinking Back To The Future Part 2 is a good film if you didn't watch it coming right off the tails of the original.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

21 Muns posted:

Marathons are a wholly good and proper way to watch films intended to be sequential. I think it can also underline how bad some sequels are - for example, I can see how it'd be much easier to delude yourself into thinking Back To The Future Part 2 is a good film if you didn't watch it coming right off the tails of the original.

Marathons of any kind are exercises in endurance. With few exceptions, if you are enduring a movie, you're doing movies wrong.

Watching them sequentially is a good idea. The Hyper Nerdlinger Order is a good idea. I'm surprised nobody has made an online Star Wars course, in which you watch the notable film influences, making-of documentaries, and interviews surrounding each installment, to better track the giant amount of thought output in each of those films.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Still not sure if Phantom Menace should be preceded by Network or Rollerball, and is it too much to bookend Rogue One with The Dirty Dozen and Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy?

Edit: VVV Watchmen is not part of the Hyper Nerdlinger Order.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 3, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I watch all of them simultaneously for maximum efficiency.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Bongo Bill posted:

I watch all of them simultaneously for maximum efficiency.

The only way to go for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRsYiPVbE8

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

21 Muns posted:

Marathons are a wholly good and proper way to watch films intended to be sequential.

You should watch them in order of release, spaced out as released.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Still not sure if Phantom Menace should be preceded by Network or Rollerball, and is it too much to bookend Rogue One with The Dirty Dozen and Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy?

Watch it on mute while listening to Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sassassin posted:

Watching movies is terrible.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

sassassin posted:

You should watch them in order of release, spaced out as released.
Do you pick the viewing year of the OT based on the theatrical, special edition, or the current edition that you're watching?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you pick the viewing year of the OT based on the theatrical, special edition, or the current edition that you're watching?

Yes, all of them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UmOk posted:

Watching movies is terrible.

I disagree.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

To be serous, The Phantom Menace is obviously preceded by Ben-Hur, Cleopatra, and the 1930's Flash Gordon serials.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I think a lot of the concepts Lucas came up with for the prequels are very good and there is a lot of great subtext there that people think is unintentional but I think the films definitely suffer from lackluster directing and editing. It's really too bad because most films with such poor shot choices really don't have anything else to say so we just assume the prequels don't either.

I remember as a teen mocking how Padme keeps hanging around with Anakin and flirting with him and wearing revealing outfits in AoTC when she really isn't interested and doesn't want Anakin's romantic overtures. Now I think that she really was interested in Anakin and enjoyed his overtures because she had her own issues, and I think that was intentional, but it got lost in the poor execution of the story.

Additionally, since the films were so heavily marketed to kids we take it for granted that the hero characters are always right and always make good choices, hence people making fun of the Jedi Order's dysfunctional nature when it seems now that this was intentional.

Looks like the cartoons do a lot to make this subtext a bit more explicit but I wish the films themselves had done more to bring this out. Part of the problem lies in the metatextual knowledge that people brought into the movies to start with. Not sure how that could really be addressed in a satisfying way.

Incidentally I'm torn on how Kyle Ren was handled in The Force Awakens. I liked his character and his character's portrayal, yet we had people making fun of him for being an insecure dweeb when it's like...that was on purpose. He's an insecure dweeb on purpose. Yet people are so locked into Dark Jedi = Hardened Badass that they thought they were spotting an error on the part of the filmmakers. Should there have been more signposting? Who knows. I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if there were but if the movie is supposed to appeal to a mass market maybe there needs to be mor hand-holding. I wonder if Shakespeare ran into this kind of thing. "Sir Andrew Aguecheek is such a badly written character; I expect knights in plays to be badasses but he's a wimpy moron!"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sassassin posted:

I disagree.

Well you're wrong. I, for one, have totally sworn off celebrating my consumerism. The only art I consume now is with sock puppets made from my own home grown hemp.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Xibanya posted:

Incidentally I'm torn on how Kyle Ren was handled in The Force Awakens. I liked his character and his character's portrayal, yet we had people making fun of him for being an insecure dweeb when it's like...that was on purpose. He's an insecure dweeb on purpose. Yet people are so locked into Dark Jedi = Hardened Badass that they thought they were spotting an error on the part of the filmmakers. Should there have been more signposting? Who knows. I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much if there were but if the movie is supposed to appeal to a mass market maybe there needs to be mor hand-holding. I wonder if Shakespeare ran into this kind of thing. "Sir Andrew Aguecheek is such a badly written character; I expect knights in plays to be badasses but he's a wimpy moron!"

You completely understood the intention of the filmmakers, why do you feel they should have modified the film to cater to those who didn't get it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I like his "character design" a lot too as it really complemented him 100%. He's shot as a tall lanky guy that we KNOW is a very possible force user because he's able to stop blaster fire in mid-air and just have a conversation/do whatever while holding it there. So we know he's a potentially mega-powerful person right off the bat. But despite his ability and how one would stereotype his frame he takes the absolute brute force maximum strength overkill approach to everything instead of using his head. And that culminates with when he kills Han, he's not trying to trick Han into letting his guard down or anything, he's just flat out telling him he's going to kill him and Han "falls for it" not in that Ren tricks him but in that Han thinks he's hearing a better person speaking, not seeing the dead look in Ren's eyes.

It's awesome, they did a great job making Ren an insecure dweeb not just in his words and behavior but in everything about how he looks vs. what we know the character is capable of doing. I feel like they nailed the right combination of having him be chump, but a chump that's angry and has something to prove, which makes him legit dangerous.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I feel like there's a combination of drugs that makes this decipherable.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I like his "character design" a lot too as it really complemented him 100%. He's shot as a tall lanky guy that we KNOW is a very possible force user because he's able to stop blaster fire in mid-air and just have a conversation/do whatever while holding it there. So we know he's a potentially mega-powerful person right off the bat. But despite his ability and how one would stereotype his frame he takes the absolute brute force maximum strength overkill approach to everything instead of using his head. And that culminates with when he kills Han, he's not trying to trick Han into letting his guard down or anything, he's just flat out telling him he's going to kill him and Han "falls for it" not in that Ren tricks him but in that Han thinks he's hearing a better person speaking, not seeing the dead look in Ren's eyes.

It's awesome, they did a great job making Ren an insecure dweeb not just in his words and behavior but in everything about how he looks vs. what we know the character is capable of doing. I feel like they nailed the right combination of having him be chump, but a chump that's angry and has something to prove, which makes him legit dangerous.

Insecure villains are tricky thing to do. It's pretty easy for the insecurities to eliminate any menace the character might have had. But yeah, we're introduced to Ren as a remorseless killing machine, and while we discover that there's a very vulnerable and confused guy under all that, it's a vulnerable and confused guy with a massive amount of power. It makes him scarier, if anything, because the hardened badass is in control, while this guy only sort of is.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Star Wars
edit: I once went to a star wars movie marathon where some guy sweated it out in a jar jar costume for the entire six movies. screw that.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

Star Wars
edit: I once went to a star wars movie marathon where some guy sweated it out in a jar jar costume for the entire six movies. screw that.

That feels like one of those feats that would be brought up to make a case for beatification.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Kylo Ren has potential to become an Amon Goeth like figure.
Like if they keep giving him humanity while sinking him deeper in dark side power displays that maybe feel good for 10 seconds or so. Could be great, but i don't know who he'd play off of.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Xibanya posted:

I think a lot of the concepts Lucas came up with for the prequels are very good and there is a lot of great subtext there that people think is unintentional but I think the films definitely suffer from lackluster directing and editing. It's really too bad because most films with such poor shot choices really don't have anything else to say so we just assume the prequels don't either.

I remember as a teen mocking how Padme keeps hanging around with Anakin and flirting with him and wearing revealing outfits in AoTC when she really isn't interested and doesn't want Anakin's romantic overtures. Now I think that she really was interested in Anakin and enjoyed his overtures because she had her own issues, and I think that was intentional, but it got lost in the poor execution of the story.

Additionally, since the films were so heavily marketed to kids we take it for granted that the hero characters are always right and always make good choices, hence people making fun of the Jedi Order's dysfunctional nature when it seems now that this was intentional.

Looks like the cartoons do a lot to make this subtext a bit more explicit but I wish the films themselves had done more to bring this out. Part of the problem lies in the metatextual knowledge that people brought into the movies to start with. Not sure how that could really be addressed in a satisfying way.

I'm stealing this from SWM but, if they had just made Obi-Wan the central figure of the films and made the films as if this is the story Obi-Wan is telling someone else about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, I think that would have fixed so many problems with the prequels. Not only is Obi-Wan a much more interesting character, you could play meta-games with the idea that he adds a little extra or takes a little out depending on how he wants Anakin to be remembered.

The Anakin we saw in the films (forgetting about the animated series) isn't really the good friend that Obi-Wan describes in his limited time onscreen in EP. IV. By putting Obi-Wan stage center, you could show how he appreciated what Anakin did for him and how Anakin's unorthodox approach was something of a fresh change of pace without it looking like Anakin was just always trying to show off. You could also portray Obi-Wan watching the flirty back and forth of inexperienced kids falling in love and have him realize he didn't see it until it was too late.

Obi-Wan is kind of Star Wars' Ned Stark: he's always honorable and expects the best of people and that's his downfall and the downfall of the Jedi. There's maybe a lesson to be learned there but we didn't get to see that onscreen with Anakin front-and-center.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wild Horses posted:

Kylo Ren has potential to become an Amon Goeth like figure.
Like if they keep giving him humanity while sinking him deeper in dark side power displays that maybe feel good for 10 seconds or so. Could be great, but i don't know who he'd play off of.
Uh, Ren appears to be a tragic figure who believes that the First Order's actions are necessary. AFAIK Goth was just a lunatic who enjoyed killing people. Ernst Rohm, more like?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Well Schindler's List shows him as a man torn up by internal forces with limited introspection.
Kylo Ren was scary in the same way that his violence was brutish and pointless.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In retrospect the decision to separate Obi-Wan and Anakin for most of The Phantom Menace is a pretty odd one. You only have two films to sell this relationship before the big showdown in RotS, they really needed to interact more and establish the foundation going into Attack of the Clones. I get that Qui Gon's character is also thematically important but I think there could have been a better balance, Obi Wan could have been given a lot more opportunities to bond with Anakin in that movie.

If you go into Attack of the Clones already feeling like Obi-Wan is a mentor to Anakin, their awkward elevator dialogue wouldn't have felt so artificial and clunky.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tadashi posted:

The Anakin we saw in the films (forgetting about the animated series) isn't really the good friend that Obi-Wan describes in his limited time onscreen in EP. IV.

Obi-Wan only says this when he's trying to recruit Anakin's son, and it's a brief comment, it's not like he makes a grand speech about their special friendship.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The fact that they don't have an idealised friendship/mentor relationship makes their inevitable clash more interesting.

And it's on a planet where things are literally boiling up from under the surface.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

The fact that they don't have an idealised friendship/mentor relationship makes their inevitable clash more interesting.

And it's on a planet where things are literally boiling up from under the surface.

Whatever the relationship is, its not well defined by Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace was a missed opportunity to lay the groundwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

In retrospect the decision to separate Obi-Wan and Anakin for most of The Phantom Menace is a pretty odd one. You only have two films to sell this relationship before the big showdown in RotS, they really needed to interact more and establish the foundation going into Attack of the Clones. I get that Qui Gon's character is also thematically important but I think there could have been a better balance, Obi Wan could have been given a lot more opportunities to bond with Anakin in that movie.

If you go into Attack of the Clones already feeling like Obi-Wan is a mentor to Anakin, their awkward elevator dialogue wouldn't have felt so artificial and clunky.
They've arrived at the point of a well-worn friendship, with gentle teasing born of a wealth of shared experience. Anakin adheres more strictly to the principles of the Jedi (as conveyed by Obi-Wan) better than Obi-Wan does. It was Obi-Wan who dove into the nest of gundarks in the elevator narrative, a recklessness reinforced when we are shown it again in the assassination attempt. I felt the elevator dialogue was some of the most genuine stuff of the series, and it plays an important role in understanding what we're shown later of their respective characters: Obi-Wan is a good person and a good friend, but a reckless and hypocritical teacher in the mold of Qui-Gonn. His uneven teaching further undermines the moral authority of the Jedi in Anakin's point of view.

• Locked thread