Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

Arkanumzilong posted:

Andromeda is a pretty good game too
That and maybe they where crazy like me and bought both nier and andromeda :p

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I own both Nier: Automata and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Come at me :colbert:

(:bisonyes: I've been waiting for this LP)

The key part here is that you both at least bought Nier.

All of this MG talk makes me want to check out Revengeance, despite not giving a poo poo about the series at all. Do or don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
hell yess you should try MGR. It has very little to do with rest of the series.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
MGR is a good game that doesn't require you to have extensive knowledge of MGS lore to enjoy. If you like how Automata plays then you'll like MGR since the combat feels better and has an actual combo system.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Hommando posted:

MGR is a good game that doesn't require you to have extensive knowledge of MGS lore to enjoy. If you like how Automata plays then you'll like MGR since the combat feels better and has an actual combo system.

Automata has a combo system, though it never teaches you actually use it properly (and it is not as extensive)
And honestly... I prefer how combat feels in automata, though the whole feel thing is more of a personal opinion thing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Revengeance is a masterpiece.

And the good thing is that they knew and accepted it had a low budget so instead of just stretching it out more than needed, it made the best of what it had so instead of being a middling 20 hours with 10 hours of content, it's like 7 hours on a first go with 7 hours of kick rear end content.

Keep an eye out for Steam sales for it, it's not demanding and comes with just about all DLC (it might have one or two cosmetic things missing I dunno, anything worthwhile is there).
It's been a long while since I watched it, but I think the first episode or two of ChipCheezum's LP of it should be all you need to know that you need to play Rising.

ZidaneValor
Oct 16, 2016
I am so loving this poo poo right now.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode V: Black Box

New Music: The Sound of the End (Vocal)

Alright, you lousy GoBot. Let’s do this thing!

The kiddie-gloves are coming off. What was 9S even doing when he was firing at this machine? He was only doing damage equal to our Pod early. Look at all of those 6 HPs of damage he could have been dealing out if he really put some effort into it. Tch.

Also Engels now has a laser pelvis. It’s best to evade that. It’s probably a bad scene. I mean, would YOU want to be involved with a laser pelvis? I thought not... The red laser bit is just a helpful hazard warning for where it’s going to fire. The massive circular explosion afterwards is the bothersome bit.

Now that 2B is in control of the flight unit, Engels is suddenly interested in swatting at the thing outside of cutscenes. And frankly, I’m gonna be real here. I think the part where 9S got owned was entirely a fluke while it was flailing from the earlier hit.

We haven’t fought in head on camera mode in the flight unit. 2B is permanently locked onto the bootleg Transformer’s position. We can rotate her 360 degrees around Engels’ perimeter. We can sort of nudge her upwards and downwards. But the camera will gradually shift her back to mid-range. There’s no approaching closer to the enemy unit.

So our only means of attack are the chain gun fire and the rather useless Heavy Attack’s sonic boom projectile. That only does like 50-60 HP of damage and will briefly halt 2B’s ability to move. Considering the turrets are doing 6 HP x A Billion Shots at all times, it’s not worth it.

Also related to head on movement, 2B’s evade is less of an invincible speed boost and more of just giving her i-frames briefly. Which is all we really need.

It... talks? I didn’t know the machines had that kind of intelligence.
<radio ring> 2B... I found a weakness in the target... H-Hacking in... to provide support.

Huh. 9S is still in the fight. You know, in retrospect maybe we should have... I dunno... tied him down to something up top there? He cannot be having a fun time trying to hack this machine one-armed while desperately hanging onto a railing by his leg or whatever is happening up there.

Engels still has access to its missile pods. Which... all kind of seem like they’re firing from up where we left 9S. Now I’m just imaging that poor android kid as rolling out of the way of opening missile tubes while hanging onto a railing by his foot and cracking a Unix system with his remaining arm. Dude is having a rough day...

<radio ring> 2B... The control... on the enemy’s upper arm... Use your Pod... Sh-should be able to... take it over...
I told you to shut up!

I dunno, 2B. I know you don’t want him moving around too much since he’s really banged up and now stubby bots have shown up are throwing wrenches at him on top of everything else. But... I kind of want to know what “control of the enemy’s arm” entails.

Or you could just get punched 3-kilometers away. I suppose that works too...

Marking weak point...
Got it.

We don’t know a whole lot about this Android vs. Machine war yet. But, I’m definitely rooting for the androids based on their Macross-esque mecha tech. I’m down with any robot that can also turn into a jet at will. Limited use case be damned.

2B switches back to all-range mode but maintains ramming speed. I like where all of this is going.

Affirmative.

Behavior table adjusted. Balance controls overridden.

Enemy unit subjugation complete.

Yo, guess what’s happening here. Yep. It’s exactly what it sounds like...

WE STOLE THAT ROBOT’S loving ARM!

“Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!” declares 2B in early foreshadowing that androids are actually just the mean older siblings of the machine lifeforms. Engels is telling mom when she gets home from her shift at the rhythm battle conference.

As it turns out, smacking about a giant robot with its own bucket-wheel excavator mercilessly for a minute is FAR more effective than pelting it with small-arms fire.

Satisfied with her work, 2B discards the Marxist arm. Probably time to go back and make sure we didn’t accidentally squish 9S dur—

Huh?!

Oh... It’s still truckin’, huh? I guess I’m starting to see why they sent out a whole squad of androids just to deal with this single bot. Just a shame they only sent 1.5 competent ones and a mess of red shirts.

Out of options, 2B is just going for it with a head-on assault. I mean we *are* within the realm of cutscenes. All weapons' firepower is massively compromised and in flux depending on how radical the situation gets...

I made a bunch of Metal Gear jokes about Engels for obvious reasons. But really, it reminds me way more of a Transformer. Right down to the most glaring design issues of Transformers: none of them EVER seem to transform themselves a proper helmet or headgear. Even if my face was plated with iron, I’d still want a little bit of protection in key structural areas. Like, I dunno... At least some googles?

Engels straight up stops attacking at this point. The machines seem to have limited intelligence. That said, it still totally wants to see where she’s going with this move.

Ouch. Okay... Yeah. Big guy, you definitely should have seen that one coming... :v:

These androids really need to work on their lands. This is getting embarrassing. Papa Nier could take falls better than this and he was just the soulless clone shell of a magic Gary Busey.

Music: ENDS

In any case, Special Machine Unit Engels is at least decommissioned. Job well done...? I don’t have a metric to know how these kinds of operations usually go. And unlike most Platinum games, there’s no ranking system. So ehh... Well, I’m gonna go ahead and say that PROBABLY wasn’t an S-Rank performance. But hey, any mission you can walk away from...

Oh... Huh. Right... Maybe we’re jumping the gun here on congratulations.

Well, at LEAST we didn’t accidentally squish 9S in our rather zealous pounding Engels to death with his own arm approach. I would not look past Yoko Taro to make you accidentally murder the poo poo out of a character due to performing sick finishing moves at an inappropriate time.

9S helps 2B up...

Heheh... Talk about... bringing the battle to them... huh, 2B?
Contact Command. Request assistance.
No... It doesn’t look like that’s... going to be necessary...

Kill... Kill... Kill... Kill...

WELP!

Kill... Kill... Kill... Kill...

I don’t imagine that *cough* ...this is going to end well.

New Music: Widespread Illness

It’s ready.
...Right.

So these cubes are kind of important. These are the androids’ black boxes. If you don’t know what a black box is, it’s a system in which you can put junk into it. You can see what junk comes out of it. But you dunno what’s going on under the hood in the middle process. In sci-fi story terms, it’s usually a handwave for “look science is happening, shut up and don’t worry about it!”

Usually... it err... isn’t LITERALLY a black cube...

Requesting... destruction of enemy hostiles via black-box reaction.
Request accepted.

The honor was mine.

Alright... 2B... 9S... Let’s go ahead and form that Pact. And by that, I mean...

Blow the gently caress up in a nuclear explosion.

Thus concludes the first part of the Prologue of NieR: Automata. Buckle up. That was probably the most straightforward part of the game. :getin:

Video: Engels Battle Part 2 and Factory Prologue Ending
(Watch this.)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 3, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Like many other folks coming out of the woodwork, just wanted to say thanks for coming back to do Automata. Your Nier LP is what made me try and fall for Nier and, well, your Drakengard LPs got me to enjoy that series... from a distance (although I still might be suckered into buying Drakengard 3 and giving it a whirl at some point).

Really enjoying this so far.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And here I thought they meant Black Box in the airplane hardened-flight-data-recorder sense, and assumed it was a backup copy of 9S's brain or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's both, it's a pun.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the black box is whatever you want it to be baby

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Deus Box Machina

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

“Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!” declares 2B in early foreshadowing that androids are actually just the mean older siblings of the machine lifeforms

Um

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And that's where the demo ended, so if you're worried about spoilers you can go watch Chip's video now (unless you think exactly what year it is is so important that you have to wait an update for TDI to show it off).

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
This was where the demo ended, which you've gotta admit is a good spot to build interest. "We just blew up the main character! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why won't 2B straighten up her crooked blindfold?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why won't 2B straighten up her crooked blindfold?

Looks like someone doesn't understand fashion :smug:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you never did this then you've failed as an older sibling

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Meh, it's an Yoko Taro game. It might be an actual spoiler, it might be TDI joking, you can't deny that wasn't already in the cards from the start.

The Dark Id posted:

WE STOLE THAT ROBOT’S loving ARM!

Let your country control your mind
Let your country control your soul

What? Rules of Nature doesn't apply here, we didn't slice Engel in half with our sword, we used his arm.
Does that count as reappropriating the means of production by the way?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Omobono posted:

What? Rules of Nature doesn't apply here, we didn't slice Engel in half with our sword, we used his arm.

Yeah, I said I was getting Excelsus vibes from this thing before this update, but now they pretty much went for a straight up reference with that part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's NieR: Automata's character modeller, Hito Matsudaira, going into detail about how he created 2B's model.

There's an image of the official pattern on her dress at the end too.

The article itself is completely spoiler free, but cross off when you hit the end (when you see the pattern) because comments could be a minefield.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/03/an-exclusive-look-at-the-creation-of-2b-by-nier-automatas-character-modeller/

~The unenlightened masses, they cannot make the judgement call~

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 3, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like the detail of the arm getting the ring thingamajig around it like your usual weapons have. Little bits of consistency like that are always nice to see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
One of the big questions I have for this game is the why. Why is there basically no magic no compared to in Nier? Why did aliens invade and drop a bunch of robots here? How did the events of Nier resolve to end up like this?

I'm not asking for the answers for these questions, mind. Not even in spoilers. It's a Taro Yoko game, so I know drat well all these questions will be answered. But it's one of the biggest mysteries to me.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I wanted to play the game when I had spare cash and a working graphics card, but all the bullet hell gameplay looks...really offputting to me. Not what I want out of a Platinum action game. Is it negligible on lower difficulty settings or anything?

Deffo intrigued to see where it goes in LP form though. Really wondered what Dark Id's reaction was when I saw all the talk about the game!

Also, couple little typos:

quote:

Update III:
As we continue onward, we eventually reach a shipping hub where machines are loading machine lifeforms into shipping crates. Good to see the alien machines adopted humanity’s shipping contain specifications.

quote:

Update V:
2B switches back to all-range mode by maintains ramming speed. I like where all of this is going.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I wanted to play the game when I had spare cash and a working graphics card, but all the bullet hell gameplay looks...really offputting to me. Not what I want out of a Platinum action game. Is it negligible on lower difficulty settings or anything?

Deffo intrigued to see where it goes in LP form though. Really wondered what Dark Id's reaction was when I saw all the talk about the game!

Also, couple little typos:

You have to go out of your way to die on Easy, and Normal isn't a lot harder either. The Prologue is the hardest part of Hard, the rest is manageable if you know what to do.

So bullet hell shouldn't be an off putting factor for you.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

JT Jag posted:

One of the big questions I have for this game is the why. Why is there basically no magic no compared to in Nier?

Didn't Nier pretty much address this? Like, it was already pretty much gone by then and cleanup pretty much finished up? This isn't a spoiler thing, I haven't played any of this game yet, just the notion of this one even being a mystery at all anymore didn't even occur.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You have to go out of your way to die on Easy, and Normal isn't a lot harder either. The Prologue is the hardest part of Hard, the rest is manageable if you know what to do.

So bullet hell shouldn't be an off putting factor for you.

Yeah this for sure. There are chips you can equip for easy mode that auto dodges/shoots for you. Also I believe the AI is a lot less aggressive on easy compared to hard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

One of the big questions I have for this game is the why. Why is there basically no magic no compared to in Nier? Why did aliens invade and drop a bunch of robots here? How did the events of Nier resolve to end up like this?

The "alien invasion" thing was actually stated in the postgame Nier audio discs way back when, but everyone figured it to be a joke. Little did they know that the cosmos is a joke, and Yoko merely delivers the punchlines.

Seriously, though, between that and the "Mikhail gets nuked" postscript of Drakengard 3 it seems like Yoko's of the opinion that everything eventually ends in calamity if you take a long enough view of events. The alien invasion happened a long, long time after Nier was done destroying the world after it was previously destroyed by evil magic salt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Edit: -snip-

Right, I'm not 100% sure if it's ok to post about side materials from the original NieR here so I'm going to err on the side of caution.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 3, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I think there was a short story...

Do you happen to have a link to a transcript or something? If it's too spoilers to post in thread, PM me.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 3, 2017

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

The "alien invasion" thing was actually stated in the postgame Nier audio discs way back when, but everyone figured it to be a joke. Little did they know that the cosmos is a joke, and Yoko merely delivers the punchlines.

Seriously, though, between that and the "Mikhail gets nuked" postscript of Drakengard 3 it seems like Yoko's of the opinion that everything eventually ends in calamity if you take a long enough view of events. The alien invasion happened a long, long time after Nier was done destroying the world after it was previously destroyed by evil magic salt.

About that, there are some details of those audio novels and side things that id like to share
But I am unsure of the threads policy on spoiling the novels (though as far as I know, the details in question are not a spoiler in any way to automata)

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Geemer posted:

Do you happen to have a link to a transcript or something? If it's too spoilers to post in thread, PM me.

Honestly id recommend looking up mr clemps ( or some variation on that) on youtube
On his videos talking about nier, or at the lest the final video, he covers in some way or another, pretty much every post game material

veraticus
Feb 4, 2011

Almost Level 200
Here's a transcript of a translation of the Emil/Alien radio play. I don't think this qualifies as a spoiler since it's way, way before Automata and is pretty fluffy even for ancillary material, but if it is I'll remove it.

http://nier2.com/blog/2015/12/13/nier-drama-cd-the-space-war/

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

If you never did this then you've failed as an older sibling

Well, my younger brother did it to me. He was a lot meaner than I was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The tag line quote of a release window for an interview for NieR: Automata was something like "I don't believe Humanity will have an happy ending" so this is generally just something he believes in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

It may not be applicable here, but it does go pretty well.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

neongrey posted:

Didn't Nier pretty much address this? Like, it was already pretty much gone by then and cleanup pretty much finished up? This isn't a spoiler thing, I haven't played any of this game yet, just the notion of this one even being a mystery at all anymore didn't even occur.

Yeah, as far as I remember, magic was caused by the same stuff that turned people into salty berserkers, and part of the mission statement for Project Gestalt was sending that crap back where it came from. Magic has literally been kicked out of the universe at this point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah, as far as I remember, magic was caused by the same stuff that turned people into salty berserkers, and part of the mission statement for Project Gestalt was sending that crap back where it came from. Magic has literally been kicked out of the universe at this point.

Wait.

...How did Project Gestalt get rid of magic? Didn't that project rely on magic to turn people into Gestalts/Shades? I thought the point was just keeping humanity alive.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The idea with Project Gestalt was to have the Replicant bodies clean the world of Maso and get the stuff punted over to the Drakengard universe since that stuff's bad news for Gestalts and organic humans. Somewhere along the way, Replicants became more than just mindless bodies and started developing societies and cultures, leading into the events of the original NieR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait.

...How did Project Gestalt get rid of magic? Didn't that project rely on magic to turn people into Gestalts/Shades? I thought the point was just keeping humanity alive.

The White Chlorination Syndrome was caused by the "maso" particles carried by the dead god-salt, which was also the vector for magic introduced into the world. Once the disease burned itself out, exploitable sources of magic disappeared too.

There was a lot of technology adapted based on innovations with maso, like Emil and his sister. Some of that presumably got carried over into stuff like the Pod's firearms.

• Locked thread