Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Weapon durability is what makes the open world really work imo and doing away with it would take a lot away from exploration vs difficulty curve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There should've been a set of low power 'basic' weapons that were invincible, with all of the breakable stuff as temporary higher power stuff.

Also a stash you could use to store the basic weapons if you wanted

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Majora's mask why didn't that big goron help catch the moon?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Decades of obsessively playing Metal Gear had me running through the Yiga hideout back when I had like 6 hearts because I didn't even know it was supposed to be tough.

Y'all are overthinking it. Just go up that ladder to the banana storehouse then walk on the rafter beams, hop behind the wall, drop a nanner, climb the opposite ladder, raid the treasure room, smack the boss with magnesis.

I'm poo poo awful at combat in this game and still haven't killed a black or silver Lynel, so this isn't bragging. It's just a super simple stealth puzzle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

parallelodad posted:

In Majora's mask why didn't that big goron help catch the moon?

He's big but not that big.

Also invisible which means he's probably a ghost.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Finally activated the last terminal in Naboris during my lunch break! I have to admit, if I didn't have Revali's Gale already, it would have been really hard to get to the terminals near her midsection.

Was there an easier way to that back/middle part that I missed?

Anyway, I'll tackle Thunderblight later tonight. I hear I'm in for a struggle.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Meridian posted:

Guys, don't step on the goddamn flowers.

I didn't see the woman when I rolled up on that Shrine. Then she piped up and I was like "OH THIS BITCH"

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Reinanigans posted:

Finally activated the last terminal in Naboris during my lunch break! I have to admit, if I didn't have Revali's Gale already, it would have been really hard to get to the terminals near her midsection.

Was there an easier way to that back/middle part that I missed?

Anyway, I'll tackle Thunderblight later tonight. I hear I'm in for a struggle.

Not sure what to spoiler and what to not so I guess I'll just spoil everything...

The last terminal was the one that got me as well. With the electricity and balls and bridges and stuff I was completely lost, especially trying to follow the guide I found to help. What I ended up doing was just dropping down, looking through the gates up and I saw the square hole. I then went up to the moving bridge, saw the square hole beneath me, paraglided down and was able to activate it. It took a lot longer than it should have though...super confusing.

For Thunderblight, and mind you I have not beaten him yet and I have read that if you have the Master Sword and Hylian Shield he is much much easier, he attacks in 3 phases. First phase he sends green electrical balls your way, you just run to the side to avoid them. You can tell when he is going to do this instead of dart at you by the sound and I think he also raises his sword before he throws them at you. He then does this like zig zag rush attack. When I got good at this, I was back flip dodging but they say with a wood shield or Hylian Shield you can just block it. If you dodge, you want to trigger the backflip combo right after he disappears because he is FAST. Either way, dodge/block wail on him, rinse repeat. Get him down to half health and he heads up to the top. He will then send metal posts down all around you then electrocute them so if you are close you will get zapped. I recommend heading up to where he is, ie second level, and on one of the stair cases. When I did this, when he dropped all the posts, only a couple would land near me so the chance of getting zapped was next to none. Use magnesis to pull a post out of the ground and lift it up in the air and next to ganon. Next time he uses the zap, he zaps himself and falls to the ground. The third phase he does more of the zig zag attacks, but twice in a row so be prepared to double dodge/block and wail on him til he is dead apparently. Also keep in mind he may pull a lazer on you so be prepared to hide behind a post or ramp. A guide I read recommended 2h weapon, but I think for him 1h and shield is the way to go but I haven't beaten him yet so take all this with a grain of salt.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Y'all are overthinking it. Just go up that ladder to the banana storehouse then walk on the rafter beams, hop behind the wall, drop a nanner, climb the opposite ladder, raid the treasure room, smack the boss with magnesis.

Hell they give you so many bananas, that if you want you can drop a ton of them and watch as the one in your way finds one, then gets distracted by another one and is preoccupied for as long as you want.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Are we even still overthinking it? I only got a few of the chests before I got to the boss and then I went back in and discovered no one there anymore. I got the other chests with complete ease as no one was there at all.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

yamdankee posted:

Are we even still overthinking it? I only got a few of the chests before I got to the boss and then I went back in and discovered no one there anymore. I got the other chests with complete ease as no one was there at all.

I feel like this game is one giant exercise in not overthinking it. So many times in shrines or dungeons I have had to literally stop myself from doing the same thing over and over that isn't working...think about what is there and what I have at my disposal and go son of a bitch, that's all I had to do?!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

There should've been a set of low power 'basic' weapons that were invincible, with all of the breakable stuff as temporary higher power stuff.

Also a stash you could use to store the basic weapons if you wanted

Every stable has a few basic weapons that spawn there - usually a pot lid, torch, axe, hammer, and pitchfork. Hammers also spawn at your house. Also you have bombs. If for some reason you're not overloaded with a ton of weapons you can always port back to one of these spots or many other ones to get the ones that spawn there. I know I used Zora's Domain quite frequently at the start of my game to pick up the 2h silver sword and the 1h sword/shield.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They way to beat thunderblights 3rd phase cry. Jk its Lizal boomerangs. If they break throw metal weapons at him.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Fortis posted:

If they do another Zelda in the same vein as BotW I would actually be fine if they still had a limited number of big, "real" dungeons as long as they had more labyrinths. Those really gave me a Zelda 1 vibe, partially because they called the dungeons in that game 'labyrinths,' but also for the mysterious feel and not really knowing what to expect. I think there's a lot they could do with them. In BotW we got a basement full of guardians, a lizalfos encampment, blight puzzles, and the dark island (for all intents and purposes I'd count it as a labyrinth). They feel dungeon-y while also feeling like part of the world, which is really great.

Postman's uniform :v:

Bunny hood

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The two things that were the biggest misses for me were the durability system and the economy. I'm fine with weapons breaking, but a lot of times it felt like they barely lasted at all. It would have been nice if you got to kill more than two enemies with a sword before it bit the dust. I also think the Master Sword shouldn't have had the whole energy gimmick to it. There were plenty of breakable weapons more powerful than it which should have been the late game trade-off: durability for power. The Hylian Shield is nigh unbreakable (unless you take 20+ guardian beams) which is good for what it is so no complaints there.

Regarding the economy, how are you expected to make the massive amounts of rupees needed to buy armor and weapons, unlock the fairy fountains, and buy your house? I played snowling repeatedly and it was mind-numbingly boring and I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong. I hardly sold anything because I knew I needed the valuable stuff for armor upgrades, but beyond that rupees were few and far between as rewards. I remember swimming in rupees in Twilight Princess and something similar for sidequests would have been welcome.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

They way to beat thunderblights 3rd phase cry. Jk its Lizal boomerangs. If they break throw metal weapons at him.

So wait you just throw the boomerangs at him or any metal weapon? Is it because that is when he busts out the electric sword? I've also read stasis works on him as well?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is like the only Zelda game where the economy actually worked. At 104 shrines and just about ready to finish up, I've gotten all the fairies, all the armor, kept a good supply of arrows, bought most pictures, and never once done a grind for cash, but I've never been rolling in it either. I've just sold the large majority of the gems I've naturally found. Except diamonds. And I've ended up with exactly enough diamonds to fully upgrade my diamond circlet and go get one of each special weapon/shield.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So uh..just saw that apparently rain makes puddles that will evaporate over time??? what the actual gently caress this game

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Nah the economy in this game is hosed. Its fully backstopped by a lonely old guy who injects massive amounts of subprime gold rupees into the Hyrule economy just so he can go bowling with a friend.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've never once even done that minigame and I've had just the right amount of rupees.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So there was some Thunder area with 4 colored balls you put in holes for a shrine, and I couldn't loving figure it out and feels like I kind of just brute forced it. I ended up just tossing (and losing) 2 weapons to knock the yellow/red orbs off the tall statues, but then I spent a good 30 minutes walking around trying to figure out how to the balls up on the platform and ended up just loading them up on a ramp and using Stasis to wack them up top. Was there something I was missing because this was mostly just a frustrating and dumb? On the other hand if that's not how you were supposed to solve it, it's cool you can just kind of make poo poo up and get it done.

I did get a lot of frogs with circling that platform though

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Rupees are really an abstraction - an arbitrary token of value measured by how many strikes you've made and how many farosh's you've shot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kashuno posted:

So uh..just saw that apparently rain makes puddles that will evaporate over time??? what the actual gently caress this game

The attention to detail in general in this game is astounding.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just sell your gems I bet you have a million of them and your not gonna use them for anything

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Xaris posted:

So there was some Thunder area with 4 colored balls you put in holes for a shrine, and I couldn't loving figure it out and feels like I kind of just brute forced it.

The one that completely stumped me were the dueling peaks shrines. It just never occurred to me the solution could be in another shrine, leading me to spend half an hour staring at the constellations on the walls trying to find some sort of pattern. Then I started just doing random combinations. Then I calculated the number of possible combinations in total. Even when I found the other shrine, the penny didn't drop and when I caved and looked it up on google I forgot the first shrine solution after I overwrote the sequence with the solution to the other shrine. So I had to google the second solution too.

This game has taught me that:

1) I have terrible spatial awareness.
2) I can't think outside the shrine box.
3) I have terrible memory and forget things I was doing 3 minutes ago.
4) I am bad at videogames.
5) I would be bad at being employed by Google or Microsoft.

Edit:

6) apparently I can't read either.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 3, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, i've probably sold ~30-40k worht of stuff, mostly gems and I've barely not had enough for every non-amiibo upgrade in the game (and when I was short a few gems i also had other things short so they were never the thing keeping me from upgrading)

You absolutely roll in gems and money in this game if you explore and kill taleos and big enemies. I've actually counted and you need a grand total of ~40 each of amber, sapphire, ruby for each jewel head piece and the highest level element resistance gear. Diamonds are ~20 for the circlet, and for the radiant suit (what does that even do btw???) needs like 40 for each piece, so 100+ but every cache of luminous stone veins gives you 3-8 so they aren't exactly rare

^^^^ Dont the shrines tell you outright that you use one for the other? I remember there being signs

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

So wait you just throw the boomerangs at him or any metal weapon? Is it because that is when he busts out the electric sword? I've also read stasis works on him as well?

when he's all electrical charged and you hit him with metal his gets stunned

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

El Burbo posted:

Just sell your gems I bet you have a million of them and your not gonna use them for anything

Yeah this, if you can't let go just keep one of each kind.

Except Diamonds, don't sell those.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

when he's all electrical charged and you hit him with metal his gets stunned

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a try, I think I have a couple on me that I can use.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The thing that's hosed about the economy in this game is that Link has nowhere to put his money other than under his mattress. This is a society that has developed quantum teleportation, you should at least be able to get a savings account with 1% interest

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I only spent maybe an hour playing deer hunter to sell cooked meat but other than that I've been rolling in rupees. Wandering around the snowy areas killing moose and those rhino things gets you a shitload of meat which sells for quite a bit.

About 85 shrines in now and I've been buying up every vendor's stock since materials are harder to come by than rupees.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I was pretty hurting for cash until I just wandered around Death Mountain mining one night since I wanted to buy the rest of the fire resistant suit. I went back to see if what I had would be enough, sold off drat near everything that wasn't mission critical, and not only did I had enough to complete the set but I had like 6K leftover. I hadn't sold much if anything my entire time playing, I accumulated a bunch of poo poo that I didn't even really know I had. The Luminous Stones were a quick money grab as well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I have all the shrines and armor and everything and i dont even know where snow bowling is

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

mabels big day posted:

I have all the shrines and armor and everything and i dont even know where snow bowling is

it's real close to the tower in the Hebra Region

Also - I found it real boring. In my opinion it's something you do once and then never again mostly because I feel like the game itself doesn't make up for the fact that it plays at a snails pace thanks to forced conversations and loading times.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

mabels big day posted:

Same.

I wish I could do ng+ and only the tunic of the wild set carried over.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WanderingKid posted:

The one that completely stumped me were the dueling peaks shrines. It just never occurred to me the solution could be in another shrine, leading me to spend half an hour staring at the constellations on the walls trying to find some sort of pattern. Then I started just doing random combinations. Then I calculated the number of possible combinations in total. Even when I found the other shrine, the penny didn't drop and when I caved and looked it up on google I forgot the first shrine solution after I overwrote the sequence with the solution to the other shrine. So I had to google the second solution too.

This game has taught me that:

1) I have terrible spatial awareness.
2) I can't think outside the shrine box.
3) I have terrible memory and forget things I was doing 3 minutes ago.
4) I am bad at videogames.
5) I would be bad at being employed by Google or Microsoft.

Edit:

6) apparently I can't read either.

that shrine is awesome. soon as i read the sign i took a screenshot and went to the other one, took a screenshot and then kept bringing up the menu. hilarious thing was that i used the actual in-game camera because at that point i had forgotten we have a screenshot button now due me not having a brain.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Xaris posted:

So there was some Thunder area with 4 colored balls you put in holes for a shrine, and I couldn't loving figure it out and feels like I kind of just brute forced it. I ended up just tossing (and losing) 2 weapons to knock the yellow/red orbs off the tall statues, but then I spent a good 30 minutes walking around trying to figure out how to the balls up on the platform and ended up just loading them up on a ramp and using Stasis to wack them up top. Was there something I was missing because this was mostly just a frustrating and dumb? On the other hand if that's not how you were supposed to solve it, it's cool you can just kind of make poo poo up and get it done.

First time I tried I used octo balloons, but the wind didn't blow them. So I went away until it reset and stasis snookered them off their statues with a spear.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the radiant suit (what does that even do btw???)

You startle some people in the villages at night, and stals buddy up to you instead of attacking. And the set bonus is an attack boost with bone weapons.

I found it a big help in Thyphlo Ruins as well, just to be able to see myself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I ruined Typhlo Ruins because if you nock a fire arrow it acts like a giant flashlight and you can keep it like that without ever using it so I just walked right up to the ruins and climbed into them.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

First time I tried I used octo balloons, but the wind didn't blow them. So I went away until it reset and stasis snookered them off their statues with a spear.

You startle some people in the villages at night, and stals buddy up to you instead of attacking. And the set bonus is an attack boost with bone weapons.

I found it a big help in Thyphlo Ruins as well, just to be able to see myself.

omg ill have a legit hard choice between using that or the stealth set at night. i loving hate stals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Xaris posted:

I think stasis is the intended/only solution. I tried Cryonis and Octo Balloons and they did not work at all. I only used one Balloon at a time though, it might have worked if I had used more.