Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mr. F! posted:

I really liked it. I don't understand your criticism though

Like the directors were involved in making it as opposed to being interview subjects for a guy who cuts together behind the scenes docs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hat Thoughts posted:

Like the directors were involved in making it as opposed to being interview subjects for a guy who cuts together behind the scenes docs

Ohhhh, yeah I thought the poster was misleading.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I didn't want to deal with that in fiction, as I deal with it too much in day to day life so I just didn't watch or comment on it.

That's totally legit.

For myself, I had a great time watching it both as something I don't experience hardly at all, and as something I could share with someone who does experience it and was happy to see it portrayed and addressed.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Even though Season 1 was borderline unwatchable I feel like my lizard brain is going to make me watch fear the Walking Dead season 2. I'm guessing it does not get better?

Edit: nevermind, you said Fear. That's just totally unwatchable from the get go.

Original TWD gets really loving terrible in season 3, then okay for a minute in S4 before going back to utter poo poo. Don't bother.

If you do want to bother and still be cool at the water cooler, watch the season openers, midseason finale/premiere, and finale of each season and you'll be just as well versed as every other sucker who watches every week without all the bullshit filler. No action happens in between the big weeks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Five Came Back seems like an attempt to trick people into thinking the directors interviewed were involved creatively

See also the advertising for Night Will Fall, which did its damnedest to give the impression it was a lost Holocaust documentary directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It's actually a modern documentary about the creation of an unfinished documentary about the camps that Hitchcock did some light work on as an advisor.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

precision posted:

The new Netflix show 13 Reasons Why (based on a YA book, I guess) is really, really fantastic. I'm on episode 6 and poo poo is getting real. It starts a little doofy as you have to accept the insanely pretentious conceit first (and also the existence of, rather than a Magical Negro, a Magical Latino Hipster) but by the end of the second episode it hits full steam.

Haven't seen any other posts, but this show was indeed great. It has some issues but was 100% worth the run time for me. Very addictive.

Is there another thread for it somewhere? It gives me the vibe of something that's going to end up being discussed a lot in the future.

Edit: there is indeed a thread in TVIV but I'm on mobile and can't link it

Loutre fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Schindler's List is up on Netflix. I'd watched it in a few different classes for different reasons but I'd never sat down to actually watch for the sake of watching it.

I don't think Spielberg has made a better movie; it's a beautifully done movie and you can feel the reverence for the subject matter in every single scene and frame.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

Schindler's List is up on Netflix. I'd watched it in a few different classes for different reasons but I'd never sat down to actually watch for the sake of watching it.

I don't think Spielberg has made a better movie; it's a beautifully done movie and you can feel the reverence for the subject matter in every single scene and frame.

Tough to really judge Spielberg without grouping his films into categories. Like, how would one even begin to compare Schindler's List, Lincoln, or Amistad to Jurassic Park or Jaws?

As far as the scope and overall quality of his work across several decades, there's a solid argument to be made that he's the best director in film history.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As far as the scope and overall quality of his work across several decades, there's a solid argument to be made that he's the best director in film history.

on the other hand, watching Spielberg try to figure out how to wrap up a Kubrick film that never got finished during the latter's lifetime should disabuse you of that notion right quick

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the other hand, watching Spielberg try to figure out how to wrap up a Kubrick film that never got finished during the latter's lifetime should disabuse you of that notion right quick

AI is good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yes, but only on the basis of a reading that outright mocks spielbergian sentimentality

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I like a lot of Spielberg's films but I think the criticism that a lot of his stuff is easily digestible rather than more nuanced holds some water.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

he IS a really good director, i'm just not on board with calling him the greatest of all time by any means

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
No, but he is consistently good.

He's also much more than just a director, he's been a major force in pushing the film industry forward.

And Schindler's List is an amazing film so to get back to my point, everybody should choose a rainy evening to really settle in and watch it.

"Ist das Bach?"
"Nein. Nein, Mozart."
"Mozart?"
"Ja."

Tumble fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tumble posted:

No, but he is consistently good.

He's also much more than just a director, he's been a major force in pushing the film industry forward.

I agree, but if we're judging him as best director, it should be for the works he's directing, not just his influence on film, though they aren't mutually exclusive.

Spielberg is a good director, but saying he's the best is like saying your favorite band is The Beatles.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't personally think Spielberg is the best director of all-time, but I think he's undoubtedly in the conversation. It all depends on the criteria you want to use of course, but if consistency and overall body of work are important, he's up there with anyone you want to name.

If someone told me they thought he was the best ever, I wouldn't need much further explanation, its not like my jaw would hit the floor. The guy has like 10 iconic, classic films to his name.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's not a bad answer, it's just a trite safe answer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Almost any answer would be trite depending on the crowd though. In CineD its not such a safe answer, Kubrick and Kurosawa are much safer answers, for instance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

they're better answers

i'd be tempted to go with Fritz Lang but i'd have to think about it

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

So long as we're playing the hits can we do Tool vs. Radiohead next

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Erebus posted:

So long as we're playing the hits can we do Tool vs. Radiohead next

That's easy, you're a tool for listening to either.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
It's also kinda stupid to try and choose "The Best" when it comes to movies, music, photography, food, architecture, or basically anything else where you can see that somebody is a master of their craft to the point where it's your own subjective opinion rather than their technical excellence that let's you like or dislike the output.

"Does Spielberg deserve to be listed among 'The Greats?'" is a much more fruitful debate, and I'd say that Schindler's List alone makes that answer an inarguable yes.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spielberg's definitely made some duds but to say he's not one of the great American directors of the modern era reeks of contrarianism.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Spielberg has some elements that have aged better or worse for me as I get older, but the breadth of his work while maintaining a pretty drat high quality put him up there. A Beatles or Radiohead comparison fits pretty well for me. He is consistently good to great, but there are so many other directors who I like more. You won't get many duds, and you will get a few that transcend to greatness, and those will vary by the viewer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yes, but only on the basis of a reading that outright mocks spielbergian sentimentality

No, dude, Spielberg's "sentimentality" is a misconstruction of a dude who spent years after the failure of 1941 making his mean-spiritedness more subliminal. He even got his pedo friend George Lucas to help.

Sorry, the whiskey is typing.

edit:

It's like Bill Burr commenting on Seinfeld, people don't realize how much poo poo is in this guy's soul

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It has come to my attention that the absolutely batshit Hong Kong action/horror/kung-fu/fantasy movie The Seventh Curse is on Amazon Prime. If you're looking for something goofy, weird, and off-the-wall, please watch it, it's only 80 minutes long.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched Schindlers List for the first time a few weeks ago. There was a lot more genitals than I was expecting. And I didn't realize that was Ben Kingsley until like 3/4 of the way through.

Also, Aronofsky is the best director of all time hth

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That dude from swingers turned out to be an okay director imo

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Definitely gonna catch poo poo for this but i don't care. Independence Day 2 is on hbogo and i watched it last night and i loved it.

People who complained don't remember what a cheesy turdblossom the original was. I enjoyed the sequel.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sequel was fine, but GOD drat was that movie in a hurry to be over. They should have put a warning at the beginning to take a deep breath now and hold it, because that movie wasn't gonna stop for anything to get to the credits without ever taking its foot off the gas.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Steven Spielberg is to directing as Steven King is to writing. :colbert:

Kurosawa and Mishima for life. :rock:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Steven Spielberg is to directing as Steven King is to writing. :colbert:

Yeah they're both dope as gently caress.

Come to think of it, it's weird Spielberg never did a King adaptation.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah they're both dope as gently caress.

Come to think of it, it's weird Spielberg never did a King adaptation.

Dope as gently caress for sure, but absolutely not in the GoAT conversation.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People who complained don't remember what a cheesy turdblossom the original was. I enjoyed the sequel.

Oh, I remember.

The sequel's alright but it felt much smaller than the original. This despite the sequel characters constantly going out of their way to tell us how much bigger everything is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kurosawa has more great movies at a pretty consistent level of quality, but I'd say Jaws is as good as any of them individually.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kurosawa has more great movies at a pretty consistent level of quality, but I'd say Jaws is as good as any of them individually.

Where does Warhorse fall on the list?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

One Punch Man might be the gateway drug to Anime. Bad News few Anime on Streaming will live up to half the fun One Punch Man is.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I updated my Netflix app and now it turns sideways even if I have screen rotation lock on and I am furious

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo it's definetly the Coen Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Imo it's definetly the Coen Bros.

what if you could only pick one :twisted: