Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'm glad to hear that Automata isn't too Platinum-y though, as one of the outliers who both loves Nier and doesn't like Platinum combat, I was kind of worried about whether I'd like it. I still haven't picked it up yet because it's still full price and I have lots of other games still to play though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

Ninja Gaiden Black is better than any Platinum game ever made

Only because at the time they were Clover and had not yet achieved their final form.

NGB was absolutely the best brawler of that generation but none of the 360-era NG games lived up to it.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm glad to hear that Automata isn't too Platinum-y though, as one of the outliers who both loves Nier and doesn't like Platinum combat, I was kind of worried about whether I'd like it. I still haven't picked it up yet because it's still full price and I have lots of other games still to play though.

You can even make the game play itself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I thought I had played a Platinum game (Viewtiful Joe 2) but looking it up, that was Clover. So I've never played a Platinum game, they don't appeal to me, I only like old man games

Platinum was founded by ex-Clover devs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Where do you live? When I was looking on Amazon I was able to find someone selling Automata for only $20 USD, though you had to pay like four extra bucks for shipping.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

haveblue posted:

Only because at the time they were Clover and had not yet achieved their final form.

NGB was absolutely the best brawler of that generation but none of the 360-era NG games lived up to it.

Ngb is the best brawler of any generation

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, most hardcore shumup fans hate Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.

Tons of hardcore shmup fans like Ikaruga, it's a very solidly put together shmup as long as you like that style of 100% memorizer.

Radiant Silvergun is a different story because the scoring in that game is completely FUBAR and also the game is really long and slow. And Gradius 5 is just pretty mediocre for a Gradius game. Unskippable cutscenes :downs:

Also parry in Revengeance is on forward+X because that makes it an offensive option select. It would be strictly inferior if it were on a separate button and/or had a wiff animation. That's to go in-line with the whole game's design about being non-stop aggression, like why the dodge is also an attack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More games should utilize the idea of the option select, it's a cool idea if done properly

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Raxivace posted:

Where do you live? When I was looking on Amazon I was able to find someone selling Automata for only $20 USD, though you had to pay like four extra bucks for shipping.

USA (CA), but I don't have a PS4. I don't know if physical PC copies are still a thing but I'd rather own it through Steam anyway.

e: What is an option select?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NGB is too defence focused, blocking is for wusses.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Not if your shield also has rad spikes coming out of it.

Rygar, motherfuckers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

:hfive:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

USA (CA), but I don't have a PS4. I don't know if physical PC copies are still a thing but I'd rather own it through Steam anyway.

It's when a single input has two different outcomes based on your position/what's happening in the game. I know the term from fighting games where you can do inputs that are either defensive/offensive depending on what your opponent is doing to cover your bases

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

One input that will lead to two different outcomes depending on circumstaces.

In fighters you can do things like hit your grab and an attack at the same time and you get either one depending on how your opponent acts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Joe Gillian posted:

You can even make the game play itself.

Yeah I turned on easy mode and was really surprised at how much it automates for you. Probably one of the cooler things I've seen in a game recently.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

It's when a single input has two different outcomes based on your position/what's happening in the game. I know the term from fighting games where you can do inputs that are either defensive/offensive depending on what your opponent is doing to cover your bases

Yeah what these guys said. In Revengeance for example, if you hit Forward+X and an attack hit you, you get a parry. But if an attack didn't hit you, then you just attack as normal. So you can cover yourself defensively but keep attacking if you didn't need to parry.
It's not quite as useful as it sounds since most of the time you're parrying pretty deliberately in that game anyway, but it's there and it helps in some situations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I only used the auto stuff once just to see what it was like, but it was cool enough that I kinda want it in every game now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

An example of a bad one is that Metroid Other M's dodge was triggered by moving the D pad in any direction right when an attack was about to hit you so you could make yourself functionally invulnerable during combat by tapping directions instead of holding them to move

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah what these guys said. In Revengeance for example, if you hit Forward+X and an attack hit you, you get a parry. But if an attack didn't hit you, then you just attack as normal. So you can cover yourself defensively but keep attacking if you didn't need to parry.
It's not quite as useful as it sounds since most of the time you're parrying pretty deliberately in that game anyway, but it's there and it helps in some situations.

Attack also being parry is very thematically appropriate for Revengeance, it encourages being really aggressive. Such a good game!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just want GOD HAND but properly ported with Trophies and poo poo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They put Resident Evil 4 on every gaming platform ever invented, why not God Hand???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I see the logic behind it but revengeance doesn't work like that. If you do a parry motion at an attack, Raiden enters the parry state and cannot and will not move until the attack connects on him. If a different attack connects or it isn't fast enough for the animation he just blocks it for 0 damage and skids back. He doesn't do a regular attack in lieu of a parry if it whiffs, you just cannot move until he goes back to neutral. Which takes like 0.5 seconds, granted, but 0.5 seconds is enough to get hit.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Oh alright, thanks. That's something that I would say I don't like very much. I really prefer my inputs consistently work the same way.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, most hardcore shumup fans hate Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.

I don't give a poo poo what people who like touhou think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

They put Resident Evil 4 on every gaming platform ever invented, why not God Hand???

RE4 was one of the most popular games of all time, God Hand was a niche game that undersold even by niche game standards.

Edit: Which is probably the joke but y'know.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Tons of hardcore shmup fans like Ikaruga, it's a very solidly put together shmup as long as you like that style of 100% memorizer.

Radiant Silvergun is a different story because the scoring in that game is completely FUBAR and also the game is really long and slow. And Gradius 5 is just pretty mediocre for a Gradius game. Unskippable cutscenes :downs:

Also parry in Revengeance is on forward+X because that makes it an offensive option select. It would be strictly inferior if it were on a separate button and/or had a wiff animation. That's to go in-line with the whole game's design about being non-stop aggression, like why the dodge is also an attack.

How does having to buy the dodge fit into the games design philosophy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Who came up with shmup and can we change it to something else

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

flight simulator?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Call them Air Combats

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

Now you're just trying to piss people off.

Grasshopper and Platinum both like to put very bad shmup segments in their cool games and it is a pretty annoying habit of theirs. Once is cute, but if you're going to do it every single time, at least put some real effort in and make it an interesting shmup section instead of the most generic, boring thing ever, or outright lovely like the underwater section of Wonderufl 101.

It's especially annoying since platinum's games are meant to be replayed over and over and mastered, but the lovely, bad-feeling, jerky, uninspired shmup sections are crowbarred in there with the real game and you have to do them every single time you replay the game, so the 'cute' novelty of them wears off really fast and you're just left with a crappy mini-game interrupting the thing you were actually enjoying.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

CJacobs posted:

I see the logic behind it but revengeance doesn't work like that. If you do a parry motion at an attack, Raiden enters the parry state and cannot and will not move until the attack connects on him. If a different attack connects or it isn't fast enough for the animation he just blocks it for 0 damage and skids back. He doesn't do a regular attack in lieu of a parry if it whiffs, you just cannot move until he goes back to neutral. Which takes like 0.5 seconds, granted, but 0.5 seconds is enough to get hit.

Yeah it's not a super strong OS like 3S parry or anything like that, I found it more useful to help cover you when you aren't 100% sure what's coming at you, and specifically against faster attacks. Also, helps a bit when the camera is being lovely, which it frequently is.

I agree the execution of it doesn't work as well as it seems like it should, Dodge OSs are more useful in a lot of cases but obviously they don't reward you as much either.

corn in the bible posted:

How does having to buy the dodge fit into the games design philosophy

Very poorly. Extra hilarious if you start a New Game on the harder difficulty settings because the dodge is virtually mandatory for the grabby guys who immediately show up in the first level.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Space Harrier segment from Bayonetta is actually insanely cool but it's the incredibly long start to the stage with the final Jean fight and you can't just skip it so it can go to hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was about to say I don't remember MGR even having a dodge button.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Grasshopper and Platinum both like to put very bad shmup segments in their cool games and it is a pretty annoying habit of theirs. Once is cute, but if you're going to do it every single time, at least put some real effort in and make it an interesting shmup section instead of the most generic, boring thing ever, or outright lovely like the underwater section of Wonderufl 101.

It's especially annoying since platinum's games are meant to be replayed over and over and mastered, but the lovely, bad-feeling, jerky, uninspired shmup sections are crowbarred in there with the real game and you have to do them every single time you replay the game, so the 'cute' novelty of them wears off really fast and you're just left with a crappy mini-game interrupting the thing you were actually enjoying.

Platinum's gotten better at making them, I think. Not good enough to stand on their own, but perfectly fine as mini-games.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I was about to say I don't remember MGR even having a dodge button.

It's uh, Direction + Square + Triangle I think? And you have to buy it in the store to use it. It's really weird.

You kinda need it too because IIRC yellow flash attacks are unparryble, sometimes you can just get out of the way of them but the dodge is completely invincible so you can use that to just avoid them with good timing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also it's called Offensive Defense (or Defensive Offense? idr) which doesn't exactly sell "dodge" that well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

I don't give a poo poo what people who like touhou think.

I'm not a STG guy, is there anything wrong with the actual touhou games other than the guy's drawing skills?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Gillian posted:

Platinum's gotten better at making them, I think. Not good enough to stand on their own, but perfectly fine as mini-games.

Some of them are better than others, but none of them are good enough that they shouldn't be skippable on a replay. And they certainly shouldn't be ranked.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're good in Automata but they were already the best part of Nier so that's more of a carry over than anything. Hopefully they learn and do cooler stuff in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Some of them are better than others, but none of them are good enough that they shouldn't be skippable on a replay. And they certainly shouldn't be ranked.

Have you played NieR: Automata? I actually enjoyed the hacking mini-game in it quite a bit.

In Training posted:

They're good in Automata but they were already the best part of Nier so that's more of a carry over than anything. Hopefully they learn and do cooler stuff in the future

They at least learned how to make better mini-games.

• Locked thread