Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

PJOmega posted:

Please, we need to think like WOTC's incompetent writing.

They'll buy Kaya from a slaver. Then magnanimously free her. Then Kaya will swear a life debt to the Gatewatch.

Kaya's Oath
1WB
When Kaya's Oath enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 Assassin token with deathtouch.

Whenever a Planeswalker you control would be dealt damage you may redirect that damage to you.

"Until all debts have been repaid, I will keep watch."

I don't think even Wizards of the Coast is tone-deaf enough to have Kaya get enslaved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

look at this guy playing standard

Turn 1 land, adept.
Turn 2 land, constrictor, Swing for 1.
Turn 3 discard 5 cards, fiery temper, fiery temper, swing for 13. 20 damages turn 3 on the play.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Turn 1 land, adept.
Turn 2 land, constrictor, Swing for 1.
Turn 3 discard 5 cards, fiery temper, fiery temper, swing for 13. 20 damages turn 3 on the play.

I don't think this works the way you think it does

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

I don't think this works the way you think it does

Uhm
What is the problem?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

YggdrasilTM posted:

Uhm
What is the problem?

The problem is you said constrictor and I assumed it was winding constrictor :cripes:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Winding Constructor goes in the Brick Counter deck with the monument artifacts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think even Wizards of the Coast is tone-deaf enough to have Kaya get enslaved.

Let's leave it at "I'd love to be wrong" on that front.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Magic the Gathering: Roots, sounds like a bad set mechanically.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

DangerDongs posted:

Magic the Gathering: Roots, sounds like a bad set mechanically.

Mirage was alright actually.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.
Started a MTG podcast recently with a couple of friends, we're mostly talking about Standard and events in the Irish scene. Would appreciate any feedback or comments! Check us out here if you like!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't see this posted:

They are fixing Split cards so pretty much Beck//Call and Breaking//Entering decks no longer exist.

quote:

Starting with Amonkhet, we're streamlining split cards a bit. This applies to all split cards, not just the aftermath cards.
Previously, we played a delicate dance when asking about converted mana cost. Sometimes Destined//Lead's CMC is most like 2: Goblin Dark-Dwellers can target it. Sometimes it's more like 4: Transgress the Mind can blorp it. Sometimes it's more like 6: Dark Confidant dings you for 6 if you reveal it.
This rewards players who dig into the rules and figure that out, but it baffles a lot of people, too. So now, it's simple: If Destined//Lead isn't on the stack, it has a converted mana cost of 6. Destined on the stack has a CMC of 2, and Lead on the stack has a CMC of 4, but Destined//Lead, any time it's not one or the other, has CMC 6.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/638ws6/torrential_gearhulk_and_aftermath_ruling_from/dfsccuj/

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Willeh posted:

Mirage was alright actually.

need a Kunta Kinte Teferi alter now I guess

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mcmagic posted:

They are fixing Split cards so pretty much Beck//Call and Breaking//Entering decks no longer exist.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/638ws6/torrential_gearhulk_and_aftermath_ruling_from/dfsccuj/

RIP Beck//Call and Expertise spells.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Oh cool we're making more changes to long established rules. And in this case killing an actual deck and several sideboard options in the process.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

im loving pissed they killed edh sunforger target odds/ends

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Oh cool we're making more changes to long established rules. And in this case killing an actual deck and several sideboard options in the process.

The rule was dumb. counterintuitive and make no sense.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

RIP casting expensive spells for 2 with Isochron Scepter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was also fun, which is forbidden

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was also fun, which is forbidden

I think rules being easier trumps one deck. Some dumbass thing probably hinged on mana burn too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The real tragedy here is floating a Wear//Tear with Counter-Top is no longer the most fun thing to do in Legacy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Some dumbass thing probably hinged on mana burn too.

I miss pinging people with Spectral Searchlight, which was probably the only legitimately clever and fun piece of design to come out of mana burn. It also made a significant percentage of cards in Prophecy worse but they're cards in Prophecy so they had it coming

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

Isn't Liliana supposed to be vaguely kind of Persian or something, when they occasionally remember?

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/270246028937138176

She actually looked it, in the art on Liliana of the Veil. I guess she's been spending too much time in the dark on Innistrad and lost her tan, and got a nose job.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

I miss pinging people with Spectral Searchlight, which was probably the only legitimately clever and fun piece of design to come out of mana burn. It also made a significant percentage of cards in Prophecy worse but they're cards in Prophecy so they had it coming

Power Sink and Piracy are other cards that come to mind that were better when mana burn was still a thing. Land destruction could go after untapped lands without penalty because tapping to add mana in response would usually deal mana burn damage, but I don't really think it's an issue anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Instead of the cmc being both they are now added together. How is that anymore intuitive?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Instead of the cmc being both they are now added together. How is that anymore intuitive?

because sometimes the CMC was both, sometimes it was added together.

Now it's always added together unless on the stack. It's more intuitive because you got how it used to work wrong.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

Isn't Liliana supposed to be vaguely kind of Persian or something, when they occasionally remember?

Lone Goat posted:

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/270246028937138176

She actually looked it, in the art on Liliana of the Veil. I guess she's been spending too much time in the dark on Innistrad and lost her tan, and got a nose job.

And Gideon is from not-Greece, which isn't exactly the same as, say, Sweden-white. He does indeed not look particularly pale, but I'm getting more Roman Reigns than Mediterranean, at a glance.

The only Liliana that seem not-white to me (not that I'm any expert) is the Nielsen art for Vess, where it's not 200% clear where the dark energy ends and the darker skin tone begins. Nothing like that on Defiant Necromancer, or in The Last Hope.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PJOmega posted:

RIP Beck//Call and Expertise spells.

Press F6 to pay respects.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Now it's always added together unless on the stack. It's more intuitive because you got how it used to work wrong.

So they both act differently on the stack than in any other zone? Totally more intuitive. Totally more simplified.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

So they both act differently on the stack than in any other zone? Totally more intuitive. Totally more simplified.

This is already the case for X spells and yes this is more simple.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

What is the cmc of fireball on the stack vs. In the graveyard vs. in hand?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, it was completely confusing and it made no sense.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Attorney at Funk posted:

The real tragedy here is floating a Wear//Tear with Counter-Top is no longer the most fun thing to do in Legacy.

Oh my god. I forgot about this. I take it back, change is great.

I'll still never understand how anyone found this or the CMC of flip cards (which I still dislike) confusing though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The actual rule that allows you to do the split card poo poo was stupid, but the gameplay wasn't all that broken. I feel like they should have tried to preserve it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Oh my god. I forgot about this. I take it back, change is great.

I'll still never understand how anyone found this or the CMC of flip cards (which I still dislike) confusing though.

A friend of mine (level 2 jugde) once called the expertise deck "the perfect jugde deck", because it abused counterintuitive loopholes in the game rules.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

It's different if Bloodbraid Elf or Dark Confidant reveal a split card from the top.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Seems like a great change and simple rule to help reduce confusion. I remember similar wailing and gnashing of teeth when they removed damage on the stack which affected many more cards but also made the game so much smoother and more intuitive.

Beck/Call was never designed to work that way, I think people understanding how these spells work in standard for the next two years is worth way more than a few janky modern combos.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual rule that allows you to do the split card poo poo was stupid, but the gameplay wasn't all that broken. I feel like they should have tried to preserve it.

It's like how transformed dudes used to have a CMC of 0, they found a piece of rules that they didn't like and took the opportunity to get rid of it.

E: It's also actually relevant to upcoming standard, since the Expertises will be in Standard with Aftermath.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

Seems like a great change and simple rule to help reduce confusion. I remember similar wailing and gnashing of teeth when they removed damage on the stack which affected many more cards but also made the game so much smoother and more intuitive.

Beck/Call was never designed to work that way, I think people understanding how these spells work in standard for the next two years is worth way more than a few janky modern combos.

Removing damage on the stack was barbaric, especially to blue in limited.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

YggdrasilTM posted:

A friend of mine (level 2 jugde) once called the expertise deck "the perfect jugde deck", because it abused counterintuitive loopholes in the game rules.

But it didn't? Card says you can cast a card cmc 3 or less. One of the little card pics is less than 3 and the card says you can cast one or both halves from your hand. Seems pretty simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

Yeah, it's basically the same thing. It makes the game less deep but more clear. For experencied player is a 1-2% loss. For a new player is a 10-20% gain.

• Locked thread