Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This is hugely helpful. I'm currently parked in an upside down SRV because my sleepy rear end was trying to fly the buggy up there and touch it

:same:

I gotta find my old bindings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

coupedeville posted:

yeah you go into turret mode in your SRV, target the public data point then scan it until it beeps and all your missions update

I tended to scan two (in the same base) because occasionally a mission or two wouldn't count as done, even after waiting a while, and scanning two days points was quicker and much less annoying than missing any :)

But then I also had weird behaviour where I would get about 10 data points right on top of over another (overlapping) and I could target and scan repeatedly and get lots of firmware and other data. Really strange!
Of course I completely failed to video this as proof that I want just going Quince-mad...

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
yeah i've had missions not update after scanning the data point but I didn't try to clear em all before flying back to millerport; I just left em in my mission tray and scummed a bunch more missions and haven't had problems yet :shrug:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fucks sake... this morning I found a nice war with a combat zone a stones throw from an outpost for repairs; ground out 800,000CR bounties for unlocking Juri Ishmaak, come back this evening for the last 200,000 and the war is over. Thanks assholes, now I have to take my awful-range FDL on the road again :mad:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fucks sake... this morning I found a nice war with a combat zone a stones throw from an outpost for repairs; ground out 800,000CR bounties for unlocking Juri Ishmaak, come back this evening for the last 200,000 and the war is over. Thanks assholes, now I have to take my awful-range FDL on the road again :mad:

/checks eddb.io for next closest war

Ok six jumps ain't bad

Jump jump jump jump jump jump

/dock at station, read local newspaper

WAR IS OVER

:argh:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

/checks eddb.io for next closest war

Ok six jumps ain't bad

Jump jump jump jump jump jump

/dock at station, read local newspaper

WAR IS OVER

:argh:

Just use the galaxy map filter for wars.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

leaving in an obvious way to grief people and kill off multicrew is good because _________

oh wait you're one of those broken people obsessed with loving with :airquote:pubbies:airquote: aren't you?

nice meltdown

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

welp; drag my rear end back to Ginyak to hand in my hard-won million to unlock the engineer.

There are now combat zones in-system.

:smithicide:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm probably not going to get better than this for FSD optimized mass upgrades, right?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm probably not going to get better than this for FSD optimized mass upgrades, right?

...not without a hundred or so rolls.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

...not without a hundred or so rolls.

Cool. I'm trying to make this Python good to haul some dang cargo and do exploration, what other mods should I work on?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

Cool. I'm trying to make this Python good to haul some dang cargo and do exploration, what other mods should I work on?

Lightweight 5 guns.

The Python runs cool enough that you can probably just stick to dirty drives but if you want to minimise your risk from warping into a binary furnace by accident during your 200th jump of the evening while you're drunk doing deep space exploration, then consider clean drives for that specific purpose.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

DancingShade posted:

Lightweight 5 guns.

The Python runs cool enough that you can probably just stick to dirty drives but if you want to minimise your risk from warping into a binary furnace by accident during your 200th jump of the evening while you're drunk doing deep space exploration, then consider clean drives for that specific purpose.

I am almost certain that drive tuning (dirty or clean) doesn't effect heat during supercruise.

My recommendation is go for Ram Tah or one of the other engineers who do life support and utilities: can get a few more LY out of that. You can also reroll random mods on anything that doesn't have a lightweight variant until you get a secondary lightweight effect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I am almost certain that drive tuning (dirty or clean) doesn't effect heat during supercruise.

Well nevermind then! Just make your guns lighter if you have any.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

God drat it this game. "Well I'll check it out for a second, I haven't used my joystick and I'm bored."

Now I'm deep into Quince grinding and dreaming about a Cutter or other dumb bad spaceships in this terrible game. It helped that Quince has been my home base for many small exploration trips/shakedowns of my current Explora-Clipper so I was right on top of it.

Someday I'll even finish a Colonia trip. My Clipper build gives me a solid ~33ly range while being completely (and intentionally) overbuilt for survival, what with an AMFU a buggy, and shields for planetary resource missions. It also has an extra fuel tank for spots I'd want to explore without a good main sequence population (a total of 7 jumps). I'm half tempted to go and try to further engineer it for range but I think I'd be quibbling over tenths of a light year for probably hours of work.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Had a pretty easy time finding Vanadium for power coupling upgrades

Griz
May 21, 2001

coupedeville posted:

yeah i've had missions not update after scanning the data point but I didn't try to clear em all before flying back to millerport; I just left em in my mission tray and scummed a bunch more missions and haven't had problems yet :shrug:

one time I had it give me 18 missions in one outpost and 2 in another, but I was in open play so someone else scanned it while I was driving back to my ship. every other time I did it all 20 missions were in the same spot.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

That's not relevant though, since if you gently caress up you won't be in supercruise anymore

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Libluini posted:

That's not relevant though, since if you gently caress up you won't be in supercruise anymore

I was really good with not cooking off because the DBS won't cook off no matter what you load it with. At least not without deliberate effort (hello dual railguns!).

But you'll absolutely get fatigued, tab out to change your music, etc and actually crash into a sun or two at least a few times if you're on a serious journey. Say to Colonia or similar.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So are 7A or 7C Bi-weave shields recommended for a 'conda? I've got 5* Class A shield boosters, so the difference is 1121 MJ for &a, and 923 MJ for Bi-weave. Also, is there any power distro fuckery you need to do to get the best out of bi-weaves? I've never used them before.

Also, gently caress ME but switching from an AspX to a 'Conda is an amazing difference. All of a sudden I'm just piloting this massive THING that's as unwieldy as it is terrifying.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Breetai posted:

So are 7A or 7C Bi-weave shields recommended for a 'conda? I've got 5* Class A shield boosters, so the difference is 1121 MJ for &a, and 923 MJ for Bi-weave. Also, is there any power distro fuckery you need to do to get the best out of bi-weaves? I've never used them before.

Also, gently caress ME but switching from an AspX to a 'Conda is an amazing difference. All of a sudden I'm just piloting this massive THING that's as unwieldy as it is terrifying.

You want the bi-weave: they will come back online twice as fast when down, which is a much bigger deal on the larger ships. The higher recharge probably gives you better ehp, but you'd have to ask one of the discord boffins for the numbers on that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Combine resist modded shields and boosters with the recharge of a big biweave and you get some really interesting EHP numbers over time. Even just the size 6 in my python recharges pretty quick while the shields are up so I can get back into a fight sooner when there are no healbeams around. It can take a lot of CZ fire. I'm also a crazy who doesn't run SCBs on it. My conda will be set up similarly.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

You want the bi-weave: they will come back online twice as fast when down, which is a much bigger deal on the larger ships. The higher recharge probably gives you better ehp, but you'd have to ask one of the discord boffins for the numbers on that.

Cheers!

Took it out for a quick high-RES bounty bash - I'm probably going to have to either change from all max burst lasers in every mount or else get some engineering done because my max level capacitor drains in seconds, but concentrated fire from 8 burst lasers makes people disintegrate.

I also killed a childhood hero.

What's the new hotness in terms of conda weapons loadouts? I'm thinking maybe beams for the Medium and Small mounts and multis for the large and huge?
Or maybe just all multicannons for ludicrous dakka?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Breetai posted:

Cheers!

Took it out for a quick high-RES bounty bash - I'm probably going to have to either change from all max burst lasers in every mount or else get some engineering done because my max level capacitor drains in seconds, but concentrated fire from 8 burst lasers makes people disintegrate.

What's the new hotness in terms of conda weapons loadouts? I'm thinking maybe beams for the Medium and Small mounts and multis for the large and huge?

Small and Medium efficient weapon 5 pulse turrets.

Gimbled Multicanons for the rest is what I run.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Would you also use Bi-Weave on an FDL? Or I guess pretty much anything that does shield tanking?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Crimson Harvest posted:

How did you get that sort of range on your Python? I got 27 before I stuck military hull on it. Now I'm down to 25 :-/

Is it fitted for only light combat?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

apropos man posted:

How did you get that sort of range on your Python? I got 27 before I stuck military hull on it. Now I'm down to 25 :-/

Considering the lack of extra 'deployed' power, I'm going to guess weaponless and otherwise extremely rigged for trade/jumping

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

apropos man posted:

The hardpoints are empty and the power plant and distributor are downranked.

EDIT: The distributor isnt downranked in that screenshot but i downranked it. It's fitted like you would an Asp Explorer for cargo/exploration.

EDIT EDIT: Are proprietary composites still found at signal sites in Federation Election systems? It would be really nice to be able to play the game without all these dubious external resources.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 4, 2017

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Ah. That explains it. Cheers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Internet Explorer posted:

Would you also use Bi-Weave on an FDL? Or I guess pretty much anything that does shield tanking?

Basically, until you get to the point where you can explain in detail why it's a better idea to not use bi-weaves, they are probably your best bet.

Explorers may get more millage out of Ds (but I would still go with bi-weaves for botched landings/interdictions), there might be a case for prismatics in combat (especially on smaller ships) but that also involves a bit of powerplay grind and would rely on boosters to never let the shield go down.

tl;dr - bi-weaves are the beesknees :vrfrog:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome, thanks for that explanation. I figured if you could stack shield boosters that makes the faster recharge rate of the shield more valuable. Or if you're in a smaller/faster ship and hopefully not getting hit as much.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can shield boosters get regen rate modifiers?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Breetai posted:

Cheers!

Depends on what you want to do with it and how much time you're going to spend engineering it.

All multicannons actually isn't terrible since you can make some of them incendiary which turns their damage into thermal so they'll chew through shields. Only problem is ammo and you probably don't want to spend more than 30-45 minutes shooting things at a time anyway so it's less of an issue than you'd think.

For lasers, something to take into consideration is that they have dreadful damage falloff (they only do full damage up to 500-600m) and that long range weapon mods will set their falloff to the same as their max range making them significantly stronger at range.

I've done some fiddling with loadouts on the beta to try and work out what combo on guns feels best to use as a multi crew (lol) gunner and I've settled on three large long range burst turrets, 2 pack hound missile launchers (from Li Yong-Rui in powerplay), a small emissive pulse turret/small corrosive multicannon turret for debuffing the target and a huge efficient beam laser with the thermal vent effect. My gunners decided they liked burst lasers best as their mainstay weapon with the packhound missiles as their secondary weapons and I control the debuff turrets and huge beam as the helm. Pack hounds generate a mountain of heat so the thermal vent laser helps offset that (so I can keep my heat sinks for shield cells) while being able to be fired forever.

Don't forget to run a Charge Enhanced mod on your Distributor!

Morter posted:

Can shield boosters get regen rate modifiers?
No, they only get shield boost strength, resistances, mass and power draw as bonus stats.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Probably a weird question, but does the in-game position of the stick and throttle change relative to the seat from ship to ship? I'm going to put together a PVC stand for my HOTAS, and I'll spend the time to get them lined up exactly if the in-game position stays the same. Otherwise I won't bother.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Enos Cabell posted:

Probably a weird question, but does the in-game position of the stick and throttle change relative to the seat from ship to ship? I'm going to put together a PVC stand for my HOTAS, and I'll spend the time to get them lined up exactly if the in-game position stays the same. Otherwise I won't bother.
There are different chairs (regular and imperial are all that's in as of 2.3 as far as I'm aware) but the position of the stick is the same on both as far as I can tell. I also don't think this is likely to change any time soon because of the pilot animations (where they mimic your movements) as they'd need to come up with a different skeletal animation rig for each type of seat if the stick/throttle were in a different spot.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mercurius posted:

Solid loving gold

Thank you so much for this post, it sounds like exactly what I've been wanting! Do you have a link to the fit so I have a rough idea of how much Quince to grind?

Internet Explorer posted:

I figured if you could stack shield boosters that makes the faster recharge rate of the shield more valuable.

It doesn't, because shields​ don't work on a fixed recharge timeframe like you'd think they would. Instead they have a fixed recharge rate (like you get a flat 6 points per second instead of always recharging in a minute and a half, or whatever). So if you leave them on, boosters actually make it take longer to fully refill your shield. If you shut them off while recharging and then flip them back on when you're full, you get the bonus without the wait (don't do this under fire if you have them modded for extra resistances).

All of my fightins knowledge is a year out of date, so someone correct me if I'm wrong

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Thank you so much for this post, it sounds like exactly what I've been wanting! Do you have a link to the fit so I have a rough idea of how much Quince to grind?

It doesn't, because shields​ don't work on a fixed recharge timeframe like you'd think they would. Instead they have a fixed recharge rate (like you get a flat 6 points per second instead of always recharging in a minute and a half, or whatever). So if you leave them on, boosters actually make it take longer to fully refill your shield. If you shut them off while recharging and then flip them back on when you're full, you get the bonus without the wait (don't do this under fire if you have them modded for extra resistances).

All of my fightins knowledge is a year out of date, so someone correct me if I'm wrong
I haven't fixed up the small turrets or the pack hounds and I still need to DD5 the thrusters but here's the current build I'm running: https://eddp.co/u/eKQMzPl4. Looks like it's just shy of 400m at a Yongmart.

E: I've got a second config in module storage for CZ fighting in a wing instead of Multicrew which replaces the 4A beam with a long range regen sequence fixed beam, swaps the fuel scoop for a second SCB, drops the KWS for another heat sink and drops the rest of the internals for straight hull reinforcements. It has 4.1k armour in that config :getin:

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 5, 2017

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
So literally every distress signal is a pirate trap huh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sometimes they're actual people in distress.

Because of pirates.

Sometimes they're people who need fuel though and then you probably can't do anything for them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Can you not fuel limpet those poor bastards?

• Locked thread