Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also made explicit when they find an intact head of their god and the first thing they do is put it in a microwave.

That's what I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always thought two separate ideas to explain the differences between the Space Jockey and the Engineers.

1. The Jockey is clearly organic. It has fossilized eye holes, and a mouth with teeth open in a dying scream. It is an organic creature whose nature and intent is clearly unknown. The Engineers were created by them (in a way that would perpetuate the obvious cycle in Prometheus) or simply heavily influenced by them, taking on their image and obsessed with genetically tinkering with themselves and the cargo the Jockey carried.

2. The Jockey is simply an Engineer, who through their seemingly religious obsession with genetic alteration and biomechanism, grew to titanic size and fused at the base level with his flight suit and craft. It's not as satisfying on the base level as the first idea, but does tie around the core body horror of the series (and add a nice counterpoint to the original film's horrific eggmorphing concept, only in this case voluntary, deliberate, guided and towards a purpose).

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what I would do.

http://www.pravdareport.com/science/mysteries/07-02-2007/87167-alien_monster-0/

Also holy poo poo I would have sworn I heard about this a couple years ago, not a drat decade.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Alienwarehouse posted:

I hope a living Engineer makes a cameo in this.

Me too, I'd like to see more done with a pretty good character design. I hope the story doesn't just shove Prometheus' questions under the rug. Rather, I hope they're made even more horrific and weird and traumatic!

Unfortunately I suspect it's just going to be aliens killing people and people trying to survive.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcfSnaCRoKE

EOMHEMEAKT on instagram leads to this alternate, more spoilery version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BScf4tFhV49/

Horrible Taste fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 4, 2017

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I like to imagine Dark Seed being the true Prometheus Sequel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

That's one theory but its not necessary for Prometheus to fit in just fine with what we see in Alien. I don't agree that the Space Jockey is "clearly" not an Engineer, there's nothing definitive in that scene at all(which is what makes it so perfect). You find the Engineers in Prometheus to be boring, so you can concoct a scenario where the Space Jockey scene doesn't actually involve them if you want, but that's just one of many possibilities.

Also, obligatory mention of how the "humans but a bit different" thing from Prometheus is purposely designed to be anti-climactic. Its exactly what the characters are feeling, "oh wait, we were actually just created by some shithead scientists who were loving around with our DNA for no discernible reason?" Would it really have been a better movie if the Engineers had elephant trunks?
I'd have preferred if they'd left the Space Jockey alone. Prometheus has enough interesting and scary stuff going on that I don't think it needed to co-opt the Space Jockey - I feel it doesn't really benefit the themes and visuals presented in 'Alien' or 'Prometheus'.

What made the Space Jockey interesting and scary is that it was this apparently ancient creature that befell the Alien and died in visible agony; beyond that, we don't know anything about it other than that it's weird-looking, looks old as poo poo, and seems to be fused to its chair. I don't think revealing that it's actually an albino human in a suit helps any of those motifs, and likewise I don't think the 'Prometheus' themes of "an uncaring creator, who provides no answers" are enhanced by having the Engineers look like the Space Jockey when they're suited up.

Like yeah I've seen the claim that the movie is being meta-textual, because just as the characters go seeking knowledge and learn that nothing is real except misery and disappointment, so too are "fuckin' Alien nerds" burned by finding out that their enigmatic Space Jockey is an albino giant, but it just rings hollow. What about the majority of fans who didn't want that Space Jockey question answered, and felt that one of the scariest and most interesting things about the Space Jockey was that it wasn't answered?

I will say that if Ridley Scott does manage to make the Engineers and Space Jockey into two separate things, it'd not only be more thematically interesting than having them be the same thing, but it'd also give him an opportunity to have his cake and eat it too.

To relate back to the original thread title, I've been seeing a really bizarre defense of the Theatrical Cut of 'Alien3' by a couple long-time members of an AvP forum I frequent, who claim the theatrical cut is "objectively" better than the Assembly Cut. I mean, yeah, there's elements of the theatrical cut that I prefer, but that version on the whole is objectively better?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love that the Space Jockey is a dude in a suit. I'm glad it's canon forever 100 years.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My biggest hope for Covenant is they will reveal that the xeno is also a man in a suit. When the third film comes out, we will learn that the facehugger is a hand in a glove.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I love that the Space Jockey is a dude in a suit. I'm glad it's canon forever 100 years.

And now all of them are dead, Thanks Ridley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bugblatter posted:

My biggest hope for Covenant is they will reveal that the xeno is also a man in a suit. When the third film comes out, we will learn that the facehugger is a hand in a glove.

By Ridley's 5th Alien movie, we learn that humans are actually creatures in suits, bringing everything full-circle.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

and that cigar in apones mouth? just a cigar

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2olZ49M54&t=29s

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

What about the majority of fans who didn't want that Space Jockey question answered, and felt that one of the scariest and most interesting things about the Space Jockey was that it wasn't answered?

Majority?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What about the majority of fans who didn't want that Space Jockey question answered, and felt that one of the scariest and most interesting things about the Space Jockey was that it wasn't answered?

Those people get to laugh at these morons who think they're actually going to find out some worthwhile information. They went looking for answers that they should have realized they didn't want, haha now they're going to die horrible deaths.

As you've established before, there's nothing in Prometheus that prevents you from just going along with your own idea of what the Space Jockey is. If that makes watching Alien more enjoyable for you, have at it, nobody's stopping you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Horrible Taste posted:

EOMHEMEAKT on instagram leads to this alternate, more spoilery version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BScf4tFhV49/

Jesus. Something supremely hosed-up happened to Shaw.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where do aliens get the physical mass to drool so much? They must be losing their body weight in slobber multiple times a day.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Where do aliens get the physical mass to drool so much? They must be losing their body weight in slobber multiple times a day.

Clearly you never met my dog.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Shaw will be the queen in Covenant, won't she

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm pretty sure the reveal is going to be that she's a Queen or the first egg or the first xenomorph or something horrific, yeah. Probably with more body horror.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

To relate back to the original thread title, I've been seeing a really bizarre defense of the Theatrical Cut of 'Alien3' by a couple long-time members of an AvP forum I frequent, who claim the theatrical cut is "objectively" better than the Assembly Cut. I mean, yeah, there's elements of the theatrical cut that I prefer, but that version on the whole is objectively better?

I see this too and I will never understand it ever. Like the shot of the EEV with the miniatures hanging off it is cool, I get it, but theatrical Alien 3 only barely rises above any number of awful early 90s slasher movies where a bunch of random dudes/marines/whatever wander around in the dark for 90s minutes. Like at least Death Machine is a cool full size on set monster the whole time.

I just finished an article about all the different Alien 3 video games, as I was addicted to quite a few of them. Replaying them again recently though I think Alien 3: The Gun and Alien 3 for the Game Boy are legit awesome still. But anyway the most interesting thing about Alien 3: The Gun is how it has a lot of weird stuff from previous incarnations of Alien 3, and I think these twelve random Sega dudes that made this game even got to see the work print that became the assembly cut we know now back in the early 90s because it straight up has the super facehugger, the alien kids bursting out of oxen, the Bishop at the end is called simply "An Unidentified Man" and is definitely human, the more primitive combat androids, etc. With the exception of the GB game every Alien 3 game tries to turn it into a balls out action game, but this rail shooter which you'd think would be the "dumbest" of them all actually had the most thought put into it and it really works as a cool alternate take on the movie as an Aliens-esque action film.

It also has, I think, the earliest genuinely successful "we did extra work to make this look like a lovely computer" effect for its HUD and stuff.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ZeeBoi posted:

That would certainly bring her narrative arc regarding being unable to create life full circle, wouldn't it?

Also that promo was extremely hosed up, I shuddered when I put the pieces together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

you are, without a doubt, history's greatest monster.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

That would certainly bring her narrative arc regarding being unable to create life full circle, wouldn't it?

Also that promo was extremely hosed up, I shuddered when I put the pieces together.

You don't think her having an alien growing then removed from her already hit that theme?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Speaking of old Alien video games, anyone else play Alien3? It was on the genesis (possibly Super NES too) and I remember it being hard as Hell. Never made it past like level 3 or 4.

Every level was a sort of maze-like area and you had a time-limit to kill the aliens and rescue all the cocooned victims, maybe also pick up key items.

I always felt really bad when I failed a level because when the time ran out, the screen would jump to each victim you didn't rescue and show a chestburster erupting. Oh no guy! I tried!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of old Alien video games, anyone else play Alien3? It was on the genesis (possibly Super NES too) and I remember it being hard as Hell. Never made it past like level 3 or 4.

Every level was a sort of maze-like area and you had a time-limit to kill the aliens and rescue all the cocooned victims, maybe also pick up key items.

I always felt really bad when I failed a level because when the time ran out, the screen would jump to each victim you didn't rescue and show a chestburster erupting. Oh no guy! I tried!

yeah it was on snes too. i really loved it, the mission hub and platforming idea was really cool and the environments were great

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The SNES, GB, and arcade Alien 3 games are each unique rad games that are very different from the run around a maze+find prisoners Alien 3 game that was on every other system. The worst of those was the NES port, it has an awesome new soundtrack by Jeroen Tel but the timer is soooo strict. Like if you do a perfect run through the level you'll have like twenty seconds left, a lot of the levels you make a single mistake you may as well restart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are, without a doubt, history's greatest monster.

Hopefully they can find a way to kill hicks and Newt again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Neo Rasa posted:

The SNES, GB, and arcade Alien 3 games are each unique rad games that are very different from the run around a maze+find prisoners Alien 3 game that was on every other system. The worst of those was the NES port, it has an awesome new soundtrack by Jeroen Tel but the timer is soooo strict. Like if you do a perfect run through the level you'll have like twenty seconds left, a lot of the levels you make a single mistake you may as well restart.

I thought the SNES one was pretty much the same, only with a sort of overworld and mission selection instead of a strict linear level progression? Also, the aliens still show up out of nowhere and are fast as gently caress so you still have to memorize every area to play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The SNES Alien 3 is an original game with a very different look, totally different levels, objectives, etc. compared to the Alien 3 game available on the Amiga/Game Gear/Master System/C64/NES. All of those use the same levels/weapons/everything as the first Alien 3 game which was on the Genesis (except for the NES version which an exclusive soundtrack) and are very close to each other.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What? I just booted it, you're still sidescrolling, still pulse rifle, flamethrower and grenades, still rescuing prisoners. It is not a port, but it is still essentially the same game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Biomute posted:

What? I just booted it, you're still sidescrolling, still pulse rifle, flamethrower and grenades, still rescuing prisoners. It is not a port, but it is still essentially the same game.

No it isn't. It plays almost completely differently without being a different genre.

Edit: Like straight-up. They are similar on the surface but their gameplay is really different in terms of both design and mechanics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 6, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Genesis version is strictly about rescuing prisoners before the time runs out, the SNES version has a much wider mission variety (welding doors, destroying eggs, accessing data terminals, collecting supplies, and yes occasionally rescuing prisoners). The weapon options are the same between the two games, but the animations and effects are much more fluid and impressive in the SNES version.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Alien Breed 1, 2 and Tower Assault are the best alien games btw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alien Breed is loving awesome. You can get the original with three additional episodes (with a smoother HD version of each's levels) on PS3/iOS/Vita/etc. if anyone has those and it's still fun, like a more focused Gauntlet. Just stay away from any Alien Breed product you see with a subtitle, these are not so great 3D remakes, just get the one titled Alien Breed only.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 7, 2017

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Alien Syndrome is the best alien game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Thirsty Girl posted:

Alien Syndrome is the best alien game.

Alien Syndrome is loving awesome, and it's had some interesting (but unfairly hard) ports over the years. But it's great because each level involved rescuing prisoners on a timer but then it's like ***THE TIME BOMB IS SET*** and you have to book it to the exit once you find everyone and you fight cool body horror bosses. The bosses are cool enough they used them as regular enemies in the side scrolling beat'em up Alien Storm.

There's a reboot of Alien Syndrome for the Wii, PS2, etc. that is kind of sort of good and bad as the same time. It actually has some nice art, some moody music, but it's kind of boring because they turned it into a get tons of loot game, but if you like Diablo it's pretty cool. If you get it on the Wii it offers four player coop on one screen which is loving awesome.

Hover the definitive "modern" Alien Syndrome game is the 3D version that came out as a Sega Ages release on the PS2 in Japan. Fortunately if you have a US PS2 this game got a US release!!!! It's on a compilation called "Sega Classics Collection" even though it's a collection of these Sega Ages remakes and not the original. :???:

Alien Syndrome's arcade promotional flyer and the cover for the NES port are both so good in different ways:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 7, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would say the best Alien game in recent years is Duskers. It has the right mood, setting, gameplay and even the visuals and input method is evocative of truckers in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Biomute posted:

I would say the best Alien game in recent years is Duskers. It has the right mood, setting, gameplay and even the visuals and input method is evocative of truckers in space.

Motion sensors activated
Sensor Triggered: R2