Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crazycryodude posted:

Staregate will live on forever in our hearts. Wiz I hope you know I'm now expecting an easter egg event in 1.6 about your ruler staring into the camera while giving a speech or something

E: His face was tired

Add it as a new diplomatic quip; "sorry [species name], I didn't realize I was staring so directly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Space Monster posted:

Great patch notes overall. The empire customization features look incredible.

However,

This sucks. This sucks a lot. I play this game almost exclusively with other people (AI is dumb as a rock and provides little challenge unless on insane---and then it's a matter of luck as to who your neighbors are) and the meta has been slaver/conqueror empires since the game released. Rushing has been the best strategy (in single-player too) if you really want to win, and so a nerf to colonization time seriously increases the window in which rushers have to absorb their less aggressive neighbors.

Maybe all the rest of the changes will have a load of stealth nerfs against that sort of meta, but I honestly doubt it and while the patch/expansion overall looks amazing, this one change will probably keep the multiplayer scene stale.

Other changes actually improve building tall so even if you get boxed in by neighbours you can get strong enough.

I think somebody even said that pacifist might be too op in this patch...

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Bholder posted:

Other changes actually improve building tall so even if you get boxed in by neighbours you can get strong enough.

I think somebody even said that pacifist might be too op in this patch...

I think people are going to have a hard time building tall when their neighbors invade before 2210.

I would like for multiplayer games to involve all the neat changes in the expansion/patch, but I think with that one change games will be shortened generally.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Space Monster posted:

I think people are going to have a hard time building tall when their neighbors invade before 2210.

I thought early wars are hard thanks to the superstrong spaceports

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Bholder posted:

I thought early wars are hard thanks to the superstrong spaceports

They're harder but not hard. The increase colony cost (more energy taken for a longer period) + time means that investing in a colony vs. building way past the ship limit is just dumb...or at least not optimal.

The current strat involves taking a colony or two and building spaceports to up the cap but now that colonies are much harder to get that calculus will change. People could start investing in large early fleets just for protection but most people who play multiplayer stellaris don't know anything about optimal builds so that'll be rare. Best strat will still be militarist/auth + rush.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There is also a blurb about primitives being less common so you may not be able to just snap up 1 or 2 nearby every game? Will have to play to see how balance works out.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There is also a blurb about primitives being less common so you may not be able to just snap up 1 or 2 nearby every game? Will have to play to see how balance works out.

I almost always attack the nearest player first regardless of how much more difficult that might be (honestly not very much). That way, any AI/primitives near us will be mine (also so that I'm not drained in case they have the same idea).

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 4, 2017

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Hey Wiz, do you think we can get the Leviathans (and Utopia) OST tracks in FLAC/MP3 rather than just OGG game files?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Space Monster posted:

Great patch notes overall. The empire customization features look incredible.

However,

This sucks. This sucks a lot. I play this game almost exclusively with other people (AI is dumb as a rock and provides little challenge unless on insane---and then it's a matter of luck as to who your neighbors are) and the meta has been slaver/conqueror empires since the game released. Rushing has been the best strategy (in single-player too) if you really want to win, and so a nerf to colonization time seriously increases the window in which rushers have to absorb their less aggressive neighbors.

Maybe all the rest of the changes will have a load of stealth nerfs against that sort of meta, but I honestly doubt it and while the patch/expansion overall looks amazing, this one change will probably keep the multiplayer scene stale.
You get colony tech for free at the start now and there's a bunch of new colony build time reducers. Without an increase in colony build base time the achievable net time would be ludicrous.

e: you'll probably still be able to build as many or more colonies in the same amount of time, especially if you go all in on the colony techs and traditions.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 4, 2017

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Foes anyone know where I could find a larger version of this image? I need it for modding purposes.

(this one is metropolis.dds in the game files)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Been watching some Utopia tubers today, something came up - isn't fleeting a free pick for Hive Minds now, being that their leaders are immortal? Or is that just Rulers, while scientists etc. are still mortal?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think only the ruler is immortal, but I'm not sure now tbh

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

VirtualStranger posted:

Foes anyone know where I could find a larger version of this image? I need it for modding purposes.

(this one is metropolis.dds in the game files)

Ask Wiz nicely and it may be someone in the art department has it as a big high res file.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I'm basically trying to pull apart this mod and modify it for my own purposes.

I tried just stretching the image to the proper width and it doesn't look too blurry or pixelated...

...but the image isn't tall enough for the leader portrait window.

Then I tried stretching it even more to fit the proper height, but that ended up making it look extremely lovely.

:negative:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Could try cropping it to the needed ratio and then blowing that up instead of stretching it out vertically

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

Could try cropping it to the needed ratio and then blowing that up instead of stretching it out vertically

That's exactly what I did. "stretching" was probably the wrong word for me to use there.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Content-aware scaling in Photoshop can help with this to some degree, especially if you want it to be taller or wider.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

here's a neat time lapse video of a Utopia game. the unbidden pop up towards the end and kill almost everyone, but a FE awakens and together with its allies purges the galaxy of invaders. a fun little potted space opera told through colors changing on a map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDntlTFcQag

This is really cool. Little space opera is right - you've got a cosmopolitan galaxy with competing empires, the unbidden show up and basically annihilate everyone, and then the slow recolonization by a handful of survivors. You can imagine the stories they tell each other about the terrible force on the other side of the galaxy that created all the ruins they're busy reinhabiting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's interesting that the great power that re-take the galaxy are some pre-ftl civilization that got space travel only mid-way through the game but seemed to become a proper space nation inside the borders of a FE. Would that automatically make them a protectorate?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also from watching a dude's Utopia video it seems weird you can still pick social traits for a hive minds. Wouldn't any happiness or multi-cultural related traits just be free negatives? Why would you ever not take repugnant or solitary when you can never have multi-species planets and have no happiness?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Another robo courtesy of GlyphGryph getting me Plantoids. Not satisfied yet!

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also from watching a dude's Utopia video it seems weird you can still pick social traits for a hive minds. Wouldn't any happiness or multi-cultural related traits just be free negatives? Why would you ever not take repugnant or solitary when you can never have multi-species planets and have no happiness?

Repugnant makes other empires have a lower opinion of you. It's not just pop happiness. If you want to make allies as a hive mind you probably shouldn't pick it.

Solitary though, hive minds should be prevented from picking it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Do we know when Utopia's gonna unlock Thursday? IIRC most Paradox products go live at 5 PM Sweden time but do we know for sure?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dog Kisser posted:

Another robo courtesy of GlyphGryph getting me Plantoids. Not satisfied yet!

Your robos are so cute that your modpack almost makes me want to not be a fanatic spiritualist militant human and embrace the machines. :toot:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 4, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Crazycryodude posted:

Do we know when Utopia's gonna unlock Thursday? IIRC most Paradox products go live at 5 PM Sweden time but do we know for sure?

No, but they always like to push the button during their livestreams.

Not sure if that will be affected by them also releasing MoH on that day, if they'll do it simultaneously or give one a chance to stew before the other goes up.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Splicer posted:

You get colony tech for free at the start now and there's a bunch of new colony build time reducers. Without an increase in colony build base time the achievable net time would be ludicrous.

e: you'll probably still be able to build as many or more colonies in the same amount of time, especially if you go all in on the colony techs and traditions.

If you go all in on colony techs and traditions you'll be at a massive military disadvantage against someone with fanatical purifiers (+33% ship rate of fire) and they will destroy you without colonizing first themselves. Your neighbor will kill you in twenty or thirty minutes.

What they should have done was leave base colonization time alone and let it be ludicrous. That would balance it with rush builds somewhat. They aren't balancing around competitive multiplayer, which means that there are going to be builds that win the game extremely easily compared with what your average player does.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 4, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Space Monster posted:

If you go all in on colony techs and traditions you'll be at a massive military disadvantage against someone with fanatical purifiers (+33% ship rate of fire) and they will destroy you without colonizing first themselves.

honestly this, since this is how I play. If something is teching hard into empire researches and not balancing with military it's kind of a wash.

it's like yeah, you have 6-8 planets but I have cruisers with tiered weapons so :rip:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's a touch early to be pointing out flaws in the new early game war meta when it's not even out yet. I'm even wary to call out things like hive minds being able to pick solitary as it seems like a super obvious thing they'd have thought about already.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I think people are just trying to predict the next meta since the current meta is 1-2 viable options and that is it, and unless something drastic changes with Utopia, the build might change but that concept is still going to hold true.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

honestly this, since this is how I play. If something is teching hard into empire researches and not balancing with military it's kind of a wash.

it's like yeah, you have 6-8 planets but I have cruisers with tiered weapons so :rip:

This isn't even what I mean. Cruisers are late, late game tech in mp games with militaristic slaver rushers. When I go these builds (which I only do when I identify someone in the lobby who I know is a rusher, since I don't actually enjoy playing slaver) I usually conquer my closest player neighbor right around (or even a bit before) 2210. After that, I have two capital planets and whatever they've colonized worth of resources to work with. It snowballs very quickly and games are short.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never really play competitively so I don't even know what the current meta is. I'll sometimes google what the correct ship design meta is and it seems to be BB's and super shielded cruisers with kinetics and plasma. But in terms of optimal early game build order I got no clue. I've had fun and "won" being a slow turtle, being hyper expansionist, trying to role play as honest naive pacifists, it's all good. But these things should be balanced enough so that there aren't features supporting strategies that are entirely traps.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's a touch early to be pointing out flaws in the new early game war meta when it's not even out yet. I'm even wary to call out things like hive minds being able to pick solitary as it seems like a super obvious thing they'd have thought about already.

It's possible that I'm jumping the gun here, but nothing in the patch notes suggests that they've done anything except solidify the slaver rush build even more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Space Monster posted:

It's possible that I'm jumping the gun here, but nothing in the patch notes suggests that they've done anything except solidify the slaver rush build even more.

Slaves and the factions around them has changed hugely though, so there might be something there. Or, despite Utopia being the most massive paradox DLC ever, it's still only doing half the job of "fixing" and rebalancing the game which will come with the next war focused DLC?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Slaves and the factions around them has changed hugely though, so there might be something there. Or, despite Utopia being the most massive paradox DLC ever, it's still only doing half the job of "fixing" and rebalancing the game which will come with the next war focused DLC?

That's where the best hope is---that they've changed slavery mechanics enough to make these builds impossible. They thought they had with the last patch but some guys I play with took less than 24 hours to come up with a new build that got around the changes. It's just really tedious to play.

I actually expect that they haven't. There was a decent multiplayer community in this game prior to that patch and a lot of discussion on the official forums about this problem and what might be done to fix it, but after they failed to fix it (and other problems like the server list) that community just died and so I rarely, if ever, see anyone talking about it. I'm not even sure the devs are aware that there's an issue anymore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Space Monster posted:

That's where the best hope is---that they've changed slavery mechanics enough to make these builds impossible. They thought they had with the last patch but some guys I play with took less than 24 hours to come up with a new build that got around the changes. It's just really tedious to play.

Yeah, that's why I have little interest in multiplayer unless it was with a group of like minded chill dudes.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, that's why I have little interest in multiplayer unless it was with a group of like minded chill dudes.

Yeah, the best way to get around the problem is basically 'no player on player war for 25 years' and even then that just pushes back the date at which the snowball starts. Usually these groups (at least the goon ones) want to play on normal speed and that's such a snoozefest I can't stand playing with them.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Space Monster posted:

This isn't even what I mean. Cruisers are late, late game tech in mp games with militaristic slaver rushers. When I go these builds (which I only do when I identify someone in the lobby who I know is a rusher, since I don't actually enjoy playing slaver) I usually conquer my closest player neighbor right around (or even a bit before) 2210. After that, I have two capital planets and whatever they've colonized worth of resources to work with. It snowballs very quickly and games are short.

I'm sure you're right, I don't play competitively enough since most of my games are just me and friends with tons of modded super AI and crisis launches.

Like Baronjutter I look up what the best ship meta is but I'm the most aggressive in my friend group but I'm sure it's different on a larger stage.

If you ever want to play with us though, we use my "Alphamod ++" collection on the workshop and keep it at Fastest/Fast.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

I'm sure you're right, I don't play competitively enough since most of my games are just me and friends with tons of modded super AI and crisis launches.

Like Baronjutter I look up what the best ship meta is but I'm the most aggressive in my friend group but I'm sure it's different on a larger stage.

If you ever want to play with us though, we use my "Alphamod ++" collection on the workshop and keep it at Fastest/Fast.

I'd like to. I will definitely want to play a game this weekend after the expansion comes out if you guys are going to be playing then. (I promise I won't do any ridiculous FP shenanigans as I just want to experiment with the new stuff)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm totally cool with them not balancing around the multiplayer meta at all. It's been a while but there were times in the past when Paradox made some questionable balancing decisions based mainly on their in-house MP games. I don't have any data to back this up but my guess is that people who play multiplayer are a small minority of players. Point being, it won't bother me and I would guess it won't bother 90+% of players if the new patch either doesn't change the multiplayer meta or makes it worse. This game is not particularly hard in SP and there isn't much need to powergame.

Of course if a ton of people do play MP then yeah they should focus on it more but I would be surprised if that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Space Monster posted:

I actually expect that they haven't. There was a decent multiplayer community in this game prior to that patch and a lot of discussion on the official forums about this problem and what might be done to fix it, but after they failed to fix it (and other problems like the server list) that community just died and so I rarely, if ever, see anyone talking about it. I'm not even sure the devs are aware that there's an issue anymore.

If you're going to be enslaving everything, you'll probably spend a considerable amount of time building armies. Slaves = unrest, unrest = no resources.

And you can't even build armies on slave planets unless they're battle thralls so I hope you enjoy assault army upkeep or relocating your own pops a lot.

• Locked thread