Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The White Chlorination Syndrome was caused by the "maso" particles carried by the dead god-salt, which was also the vector for magic introduced into the world. Once the disease burned itself out, exploitable sources of magic disappeared too.

There was a lot of technology adapted based on innovations with maso, like Emil and his sister. Some of that presumably got carried over into stuff like the Pod's firearms.

But didn't that all happen long before the beginning of Nier, which still had magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

But didn't that all happen long before the beginning of Nier, which still had magic?

I'm pretty sure it was still ongoing during the time of Nier. Hence why there were still Replicants and Gestalts, and they hadn't been merged again yet.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
This is the answer to why we have meme beams

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 3, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah, as far as I remember, magic was caused by the same stuff that turned people into salty berserkers, and part of the mission statement for Project Gestalt was sending that crap back where it came from. Magic has literally been kicked out of the universe at this point.

Nope, magic is absolutely still a thing. IIRC from the Nier stuff is that the white chlorination thing wasn't just "it's magic so it's bad", it was something about the combo of magic particles and remnants of the goddess, which is why they were able to weaponize the remains of Angelus without having the same problem for the Grimoires/Emil. "Magic" is pretty much established in the Nier-verse; the only open question is how much of android tech is magic vs. far-future tech.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc., etc.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why won't 2B straighten up her crooked blindfold?

it's a deliberate homage to Papa Nier's eyepatch from Nier 1.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My assumption is that they're so far removed from the introduction and utilization of magic that it and technology are essentially the same thing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, what do you call it when all the ultra-advanced technology runs on magic, cause that's basically what's happening

It's both

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's magitek.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Waffleman_ posted:

That's magitek.

So what you're saying is that this is a secret prequel to final fantasy?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah and all those random encounter goblins had families, you absolute monster.

So yeah, that bit right near the end where you grab the Constructicon's arm is where I got my first game over. Thanks for playing, start the whole thing again! Oh, I couldn't stay mad you, Yoko Taro.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was expecting 2B to make a heroic sacrifice at some point to take out a threat of some kind. I just didn't think it would happen in the prologue.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Always catching you by surprise, is how these things go :sun:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

it's a deliberate homage to Papa Nier's eyepatch from Nier 1.

gently caress. I just beat Ending E yesterday and I never once caught that reference.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ultrafilter posted:

I was expecting 2B to make a heroic sacrifice at some point to take out a threat of some kind. I just didn't think it would happen in the prologue.

After that I started expecting the whole game to be like this, just constantly blowing yourself up as a solution to every problem. "Oh no, 2B, we forgot to buy milk from the store. We better detonate our black boxes!"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to just err on the side of caution and talk about it in the main thread, because I had to start up the game to check and found out more poo poo about it. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 4, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

It is on the keybind list though? We'll be seeing it soon enough anyways.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 4, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: Eh yeah, TDI will probably cover it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
why are you even discussing potential spoilers already

what is wrong with you people

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

GeneX posted:

*looks at website url*

Yup.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GeneX posted:

Id threads never change.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

GeneX posted:

A sizeable chunk of people dont have the concept of spoilers due to their style of enjoyment. It doesnt even exist in their normal thought process so when someone says something apparently spoilery try to just kindly inform them so they can edit it out before resorting to any kind of insult.

I'm being kind of quiet here because I have next to no clue what someones going to personally attack me over something when I never considered the possibility that it was a spoiler.

Anyway topic change; TDI's Quickly closing in on where I last left off since hes not going to have endless hours of picking up drops in the LP, so I cant wait to play along and have him show me where all the items are. Quick Request, When we can open the lock chests, I request a quick screenshot showing off the location since I already forgot where they all are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So did the buckethack run out or was some out-of-date piece of electronics showing 2B a bogus health bar?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

In my defense, I momentarily lost sight of myself out of sheer excitement of TDI playing this game :negative: I apologize profusely.
It wasn't a terribly spoilery thing and like 85% of people playing the game will never even notice it, anyway.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
What's the language of the songs besides the Japanese in some of them?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thisuck posted:

What's the language of the songs besides the Japanese in some of them?

Made up futurese melting pot.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chaos language. Emi Evans combined a bunch of languages into one that sounds like it mimics other languages depending on the song. So sometimes it may sound English, Japanese, French, or others.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That's why "The Dark Colossus Destroys All" namechecks religious figures from several different traditions

JESUS! HORUS! VISHNU! VENUS!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

Chaos language. Emi Evans combined a bunch of languages into one that sounds like it mimics other languages depending on the song. So sometimes it may sound English, Japanese, French, or others.

I'd like to say they actually consulted with a linguist back when they first started doing the original Nier OST to actually get a vague idea on what the phonetics of languages like French or German might look like after a stupidly long time...but I can't recall a precise source for that.

At any rate, this soundtrack is an all-time great. Even better than the originals. I'm really happy Keiichi Okabe's finally scored a big hit, hope he starts showing up in more stuff. The mixing is really great, too. Takes Okabe's ridiculously great composing and adds a Platinum, Metal Gear Rising-esque touch with how it handles the vocals and other layering. I think most of us are aware of how well that poo poo worked in MGR.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's why "The Dark Colossus Destroys All" namechecks religious figures from several different traditions

JESUS! HORUS! VISHNU! VENUS!

No one will ever know what the hell they re singing on that track and that is what makes it beautiful.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wonder twin powers, activate!

Seriously, it's just me?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well, just found the thread and caught up to things. Certainly looks like we're in for fun times.

Occurred to me after Dark Id mentioned we were gonna be getting the usual amount of introspection on life and such followed by my brain automatically filling in the Hamlet quote when I heard 2B's name spoken right up front in the Ep 3 highlight vid that her name is almost absolutely referencing that exact thing.
Now it's just a matter of waiting to see how blatant they get with it.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd like to say they actually consulted with a linguist back when they first started doing the original Nier OST to actually get a vague idea on what the phonetics of languages like French or German might look like after a stupidly long time...but I can't recall a precise source for that.

Based on this interview with the singer/lyricist, it sounds like most of the language stuff involved her approximating what the languages might sound like in the far future and then having friends who spoke those languages listen to see if it sounded okay.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It feels weird that the drakengard LP was 7-8 years ago at this point and I read every crazy update as it came out, I was hoping you'd be delving into this game that by all logic had no hope of being made but here we are.

Looking forward to your LP of it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anytime darkid drops a new LP I feel really old. Resident Evil 4 doesn't feel that far away in my heart. :negative:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Well, I played the demo because of the Nier LP, bought the game because of the demo, and now I'm reading the LP because I searched SA for a Nier thread while playing the game.

Endless cycles, maaaaan.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Considering this game was announced during the Drakengard 3 LP at E3 2015, what's next? Drakengard 4?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

HR12345 posted:

Considering this game was announced during the Drakengard 3 LP at E3 2015, what's next? Drakengard 4?

In a high school drama setting, with talking guns as the dragons. The main character will use hanjo steel and a talking Luger that you can move its immortal dragon soul into other guns. The ultimate plot weapon will be a rocket launcher.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Thisuck posted:

In a high school drama setting, with talking guns as the dragons. The main character will use hanjo steel and a talking Luger that you can move its immortal dragon soul into other guns. The ultimate plot weapon will be a rocket launcher.

Talking guns? I think you mean hand puppets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Talking guns? I think you mean hand puppets:

Even better, but then the guns would be more appealing with the youth demographic.

Fire breathing hand puppets :smaug:

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 4, 2017

• Locked thread