Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm so loving jealous.

At least my new TV should be ready to go in time for the tournament so that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm so loving jealous.

At least my new TV should be ready to go in time for the tournament so that's something.

I wish they would start putting out some 4K programming, I would like to watch the masters in 4K.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Jovial Cow posted:

I wish they would start putting out some 4K programming, I would like to watch the masters in 4K.

Actually they do. There is a smart TV app that Augusta puts out that is 4K. At least that's what the internet is telling me, I've never used it personally but it was around last year. GolfWRX thread that mentions it.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 31, 2017

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Suprfli6 posted:

Actually they do. There is a smart TV app that Augusta puts out that is 4K. At least that's what the internet is telling me, I've never used it personally but it was around last year. GolfWRX thread that mentions it.

Oh snap. I have a vizio, I hope they get the app too. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled come next week.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

I'm hoping too that they should all be gen 2 balls. Like you said, being that they are practice balls I'm not sure a pro would be playing last years balls. Unless last years and this years ball are identical?

Mine are scheduled to be here saturday so I'll update when they get here.

My tally:

29 Gen 1
19 Gen 2

Not terribly pleased. 7-5, 6-6, 9-3, and 7-5 were the splits in the 4 bags. The "PRACTICE" stamp is different between generations, too. But, 4 dozen balls for roughly $1 per ball isn't the worst.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

http://pgat.us/xhxlG6G

No Tiger this year :(

He's done Jim, stick a fork in him. :(

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

http://pgat.us/xhxlG6G

No Tiger this year :(

He's done Jim, stick a fork in him. :(

When your rehab hits 2 years, it's time to call it a career. I suspect he's keeping his name in the news to promote his new company and brand.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

My tally:

29 Gen 1
19 Gen 2

Not terribly pleased. 7-5, 6-6, 9-3, and 7-5 were the splits in the 4 bags. The "PRACTICE" stamp is different between generations, too. But, 4 dozen balls for roughly $1 per ball isn't the worst.

24 Gen 1
12 Gen 2

7-5
8-4
9-3

I mean the balls are practically brand new, I haven't been able to find a scuff or anything on any of them and I liked the Gen 1 so I'm perfectly happy.

I think I'm probably good on balls for a while. There's 3 new boxes there, plus the 3 I just bought, and a box I just emptied into my bag lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2017

Huskers
May 9, 2009

mattfl posted:

I'm not sure a pro would be playing last years balls.

I heard a funny story a few years ago about Chris Dimarco really loving the feel/his numbers of the original ProV1's (the 392s) so much that he was buying boxes of them off ebay and asking/begging other pros for old boxes and sleeves. Golfers are funny that way.

Thanks for the tip on the 4k app, I'll have to try that out.

Can't believe it's almost Masters week already.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I made three birdies today :toot:

I still shot an 89 :negative:

Big numbers are killing me. I've got to get over bad shots and not turn them into more bad shots. I should have quit after I birdied the first hole (par5)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

I made three birdies today :toot:

I still shot an 89 :negative:

Big numbers are killing me. I've got to get over bad shots and not turn them into more bad shots. I should have quit after I birdied the first hole (par5)

For me, the hardest challenge in golf is removing the ego and chipping back into play for an easier approach shot. Always seems to work though.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

For me, the hardest challenge in golf is removing the ego and chipping back into play for an easier approach shot. Always seems to work though.

For me it's duffing said chip shot and saying "you can still make bogey". Sometimes it works.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah the ego is always the hardest part and I've spent this past year since getting back into golf trying to remove it. I went to the range the other week and dialled in all my distances on a smooth swing, now this mean no more hero 7 irons from 160-170m and instead a smooth 7 from 150m will get me pin high. The results have been awesome I'm really getting into the green well if my drive has been hit at least straight.

That being said it didn't stop me from updating the top end of my bag super ego heavy, Alpha 816 Double black($300) and a Epic SZ 3 wood($220 AUD on eBay, only used 3 times when I bought it epic bargain). Both I really need to wind up to hit well, when hit well my word do they get out there but of course the harder you try to hit it the less control you have. With both of these though many of my problems could be solved with just replacing the X and heavy S flex shafts for lighter S flex shafts.

I'll stick with the current shafts for a while a 2 range sessions and a round in really wet conditions is not ideal for dialling in a new club and getting familiar with it. The 3 wood reminds me so much of my original big bertha fairways, I've had an easier time adjusting to it that the driver coming from a 913D3. I think the Titleist will go back in the bag until I've dialled in the Alpha properly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hoping I can carry this good round over to tuesday when I play Forest Hills in Augusta.

Used driver off the first tee and then not once the rest of the round, was just smoking my 3 wood 275+ near drat straight off every tee. Made a small change to my grip which must have done something lol

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Nice round, super jealous of you guys who live on continents with Majors. Just being at Augusta would be an amazing feeling.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

Nice round, super jealous of you guys who live on continents with Majors. Just being at Augusta would be an amazing feeling.

I live like 800 miles from Augusta and would probably have to sell a kidney at this point to go.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is there going to be a Masters thread this year? I need to lose some more golf balls

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OMG they're about to assess Lexi Thompson a 4 stroke penalty because a viewer called in that she didn't replace a ball on the green properly yesterday.

She has (had) a 2 stroke lead with 6 to play in the first LPGA major of the year.

Someone out there REALLY loving hates her.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

because a viewer called in

how is this allowed

seriously

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
That's pretty crazy, 2 players, 2 caddies and possibly an offical and none of them spotted this at the time or even before the shot was played. It's a pretty common mistake at the amateur level and most of the time it's caught before the stroke.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It was like a 16" putt too, that is just ridiculous.

I mean at least it isn't a DQ like it used to be but still.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
OMFG she "misplaced" it by 3 cm big loving deal I do this 18 times per round. This is why golf is loving dead and stupid. :colbert:

Everyone should quit playing golf in protest so the courses will be open for me

OMFG #2 hurry up with the drop, another reason golf is loving dead and stupid.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 3, 2017

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Once the scorecard is signed and not contested it should be loving over. How many people pick up a ball, wait for someone else to putt and put it back down to the millimeter. Nobody. Horseshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Is there going to be a Masters thread this year? I need to lose some more golf balls
I'll make one in the morning. Happy to do another ball/:20bux: pool

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

is that C.J. or Toby?? :cabot:

I'm in for $20

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Players not allowed:

Any previous major winner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Players not allowed:

Any previous major winner.
I was gonna leave out the top betting favorites but that's not a bad idea. Maybe do major winners in last 5 years? That's how long you get a Masters invite for a major win.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

This LPGA snitching scandal is ridiculous. They need to release the person's name who called it in so they can be ridiculed.

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

ironlung posted:

This LPGA snitching scandal is ridiculous. They need to release the person's name who called it in so they can be ridiculed.

Random joe-blow can actually call in and point out rules violations, even after the rounds over? this is just stupid as gently caress and i can't believe they assessed her at all. Missed calls happen in every sport and they just move on... not only that, HOW DID THIS EVEN GIVE HER AN ADVANTAGE. I've only started playing and watching golf the last couple of years but holy gently caress, this and the poo poo that went on with DJ makes this game look absolutely moronic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

is that C.J. or Toby?? :cabot:

I'm in for $20
That's Academy AwardTM winner Leo.

There is no Toby.

edit: Masters thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815751

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 3, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So as I understand this, Lexi Thompson replaces her ball illegally, putts out, and finishes her round. No official, other player, or anyone has noticed the flubbed replacement. She signs her scorecard, believing she's finished with the score she has.

Just for fun, let's say for the sake of argument that an actual official instead of some idiot on TV noticed the flub, and deemed it worthy of a 2 stroke penalty. After all of that, she's not only assessed a penalty for the replacement but also for signing a bad scorecard she had no reason to believe was bad

:psyduck:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Why didn't they just ignore the email lol. Or privately respond a week later with a "thanks for pointing that out, we'll be watching closely at the next tournament".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

Why didn't they just ignore the email lol. Or privately respond a week later with a "thanks for pointing that out, we'll be watching closely at the next tournament".

Because the LPGA, much like the PGA and USGA is still stuck so firmly in the past and tradition that they live to pull poo poo like this.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Hmm, my take on the US Open fiasco was it was symptomatic of the modern impulsion to consume as much information as possible, until you get it "right".

Traditionalists also love a good nitpick, but are less tolerant of complaining and decisions being made by the wrong person at the wrong time. I think Augusta officials would encourage the PGA to delete the email in a similar situation.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Guarantee you whoever called it in had money riding on it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin posted:

And yet, the LPGA seems more concerned with urging viewers to promptly snitch, rather than to take away their snitching powers altogether. Dan Maselli, manager of rules and competition for the LPGA, encouraged fans to say something immediately if they see something.

“One of the unfortunate things about live professional golf and live television is people do see things and I wish they would speak up more quickly because then the additional two-point penalty, she wouldn’t have occurred that if we could have gotten this (taken care of) during her round (Saturday),” Maselli said.

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

YES, ENCOURAGE IT. SURELY THIS WILL HELP YOUR LEAGUE AND THE GROWTH OF THIS loving GAME.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
To the bachelors in the thread, I'd highly recommend marrying a golfer. My honeymoon is a 15-day trip to Scotland. We're playing at least one round every day.

Also, I joined a club and gotta say that the benefits are worth the cost. It's been a great professional networking source, and good greens/fast pace of play makes the game so much more enjoyable.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Omerta posted:

To the bachelors in the thread, I'd highly recommend marrying a golfer. My honeymoon is a 15-day trip to Scotland. We're playing at least one round every day.

Yeah too bad the average age of the other guys I golf with is approximately 70. Even their kids are too old for me haha

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Yeah too bad the average age of the other guys I golf with is approximately 70. Even their kids are too old for me haha

Dude, you need to join one of the men's clubs around LA already. Aren't you out near Brookside or DeBell? Both have huge men's clubs with a bunch of guys in their 20s and 30s.

That might not help much with finding a golfer to marry, but it'll get you some younger guys to play with at least...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

Guarantee you whoever called it in had money riding on it.

My thoughts exactly.