Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

I completely understand if someone who's black, lgbt, or something of that note has objections to the rural white, working class. I can't blame them for them that.

But I seem to notice a lot of white moderates who seem to pretend to care about racism, while living in millionaire dollar homes far, far, far away from the struggles of the middle and working class. They don't live in black neighborhoods, places like Flint, or places like Northeast Ohio who have been hard hit by tough economic times.

They have no interest in sweeping economic justice and justice reform in general. For them? They don't have to worry about a lot of the problems that the rest of the country has to worry about.

They really are frauds.

This also separates them from ever really seeing the effects of institutional racism and insulating them from having friends that suffer from personal racism. They will also be the first to challenge bringing socially/economically progressive issues to bear. Stuff like enforcing anti-discriminatory employment law, raising the minimum wage, and funding the government institutions that actually help with those things.

They will not directly oppose it but simply say it is not feasible because of those nasty racists on the other side (certainly not their own circles, of course. Heaven forbid they integrate schools in my area though. My children need the best future). They can be as lovely as can be because they can lay it all on the bad guys™.

For all of this talk about racists would rather die in seething poverty than see someone else get something nice excuses the mechanisms at play. One side encourages it and the other depends on it to avoid doing anything.

Also can I get a small fry but just take the top off the frostie and dump those fuckers on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I miss the days when also-rans were quickly forgotten. Even :mitt: was a distant memory after his loss.

I think the problem is the Clinton's kinda own that party.

Even a lot of the Obama appointees rubber stamped ex-Clinton White House staff that had been involved for years. So what you have right now is a full set of people who have been setting this in motion since 1992 (Bill even said that his Presidency was 2 for the price of 1).

They can't let go of the fact that their chosen candidate has been rejected a grand total of two times. (and in hindsight? She should have ran in 2004....).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I miss the days when also-rans were quickly forgotten. Even :mitt: was a distant memory after his loss.
tbf most people have stopped giving a poo poo about the clintons and want no part of them. problem is... well, what fuzzyskinner said

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

honestly I think they'll box themselves out as the boomer politicians who founded their movement continue to retire and die

obviously there are younger bad dems and bad dem voters, but the overall demographics of aging for the party favor leftist change imo

No. Stop. Demographics are not destiny. Do not persist in the notion that by sitting back and doing nothing things will change for the better. Fight for your goals or you'll end up as surprised as you were on Nov 9 over and over again.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The idea of poor whites all being racist is more of a meme/propaganda than anything. Obviously there's aggressively malicious douchebags, but it's not as if you don't find them in the affluent either. Trump won a lot of very well off people, after all.

Besides, poverty isn't simply a case of 'normal but with less money'. It affects everything you do, how you perceive the world. When everything you have in life is guaranteed to you, when you don't have a care in the world, obviously you're not going to get anxious over anything dumb.

Basically, take away a woke's trust fund, and you'll find that they're a lot less 'righteous' than they say they are.

The only reason white liberals don't treat minorities the same way they do poor whites, is basically nothing but white guilt. The instant they stop feeling guilty, minorities are going to get exactly the same treatment that rednecks get now - indifference.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

The only reason white liberals don't treat minorities the same way they do poor whites, is basically nothing but white guilt. The instant they stop feeling guilty, minorities are going to get exactly the same treatment that rednecks get now - indifference.

its cool when you tell a white hillperson their abuela is poo poo and get a short, gleeful fanfic of how you will deservedly perish in trump's MAGA camps, i tell you hwat

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think part of the error is how racism, or prejudice in general, is seen, as a kind of moral failing, rather than something more akin to a phobia, or other conditioned responses.

If you're an out-and-out racists, you're rationalizing that phobia with stupid excuses, because it's easier to do that than confront the problem - but the root cause is the conditioned response.

Like, in the model of prejudice as a moral failing, being 'progressive' is just another rung on the ladder of social respectability. Like conspicuous consumption, by adopting the particular jargon of social justice, you're signalling to others how desirable you are. And who has the free time, and the access to resources, necessary for learning that jargon, more than the already well off? Naturally, you have to keep raising the bar, to keep the riff-raff out, by inventing ever more intricate terms - mansplaining, manspreading, etc etc - but that's not hard.

Problem is, that doesn't actually do anything, and in particular it doesn't do anything if that model is wrong.

Because if the correct model is of just another conditioned response, not a lack of virtue, the only real way to treat that is exposure ('systematic desensitization'). Living in rich gated communities, or affluent neighborhoods, isn't going to do that, like, ever. It doesn't matter how many PC pamphlets you read, that's not really going to change anything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Brown Menace posted:

its cool when you tell a white hillperson their abuela is poo poo and get a short, gleeful fanfic of how you will deservedly perish in trump's MAGA camps, i tell you hwat
You know what the weirdest thing about that sort of stuff is, though? That there is this kind of process, that liberals play, of establishing 'this is what black people believe', and of course, you want to be a good ally, you don't want to be a bad guy, so you've got to go along with it. But there's a kind of irony in trying to create these nice, clean, demarcations between racial identities and beliefs, and then using those demarcations in what is ostensibly a fight against racial stereotyping!

I mean statistically speaking, Clinton won non-whites, Trump won whites, Sanders lost his primary because he lost non-whites. That's the data. There's a massive racial element during the entire 2016 election that's worse than anything under Obama. But you've got to be careful with data like that, because when it comes to human beings, nothing is ever as simple as a=b.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I at least partially blame the adoption of the definition of systemic racism (ie. R=P+P) as the definition of racism as such.

I mean it's a trope now for some aspiring do-gooder to say "yeah, sure, such-and-such is the real racist :rolleyes:" and well maybe they're not the "real" racist in the sense that their behavior vindicates David Duke but, inasmuch as they're trafficking in the same essentialisms and stereotypes as a white supremacist, then yeah, they're racist. And that's true regardless of their skin color or their intentions.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Please don't post GoT spoilers here.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There is also the prevailing notion of racism and whiteness being akin to the Original Sin, which I whole-heartedly reject, and hopefully that understanding of racism exists only on tumblr/the internet.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mysterious frankie posted:

now you're trying to diminish my life experiences

lol, I did no such thing, and honestly this could be the weakest burn anyone could make

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Any mods around, please probate me if I keep replying to this jag, or bring up guns on my own in this thread. I'm easy to provoke on this subject, they have a bone to pick apparently and I'm not buying plat to have a private slapfight.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

There is also the prevailing notion of racism and whiteness being akin to the Original Sin, which I whole-heartedly reject, and hopefully that understanding of racism exists only on tumblr/the internet.

see thats where i get annoyed. now its a weird evangelical version of social leftism and thats loving stupid.

the trump tutelage posted:

I at least partially blame the adoption of the definition of systemic racism (ie. R=P+P) as the definition of racism as such.

I mean it's a trope now for some aspiring do-gooder to say "yeah, sure, such-and-such is the real racist :rolleyes:" and well maybe they're not the "real" racist in the sense that their behavior vindicates David Duke but, inasmuch as they're trafficking in the same essentialisms and stereotypes as a white supremacist, then yeah, they're racist. And that's true regardless of their skin color or their intentions.

this too.

rudatron posted:

I think part of the error is how racism, or prejudice in general, is seen, as a kind of moral failing, rather than something more akin to a phobia, or other conditioned responses.

If you're an out-and-out racists, you're rationalizing that phobia with stupid excuses, because it's easier to do that than confront the problem - but the root cause is the conditioned response.

Like, in the model of prejudice as a moral failing, being 'progressive' is just another rung on the ladder of social respectability. Like conspicuous consumption, by adopting the particular jargon of social justice, you're signalling to others how desirable you are. And who has the free time, and the access to resources, necessary for learning that jargon, more than the already well off? Naturally, you have to keep raising the bar, to keep the riff-raff out, by inventing ever more intricate terms - mansplaining, manspreading, etc etc - but that's not hard.

Problem is, that doesn't actually do anything, and in particular it doesn't do anything if that model is wrong.

Because if the correct model is of just another conditioned response, not a lack of virtue, the only real way to treat that is exposure ('systematic desensitization'). Living in rich gated communities, or affluent neighborhoods, isn't going to do that, like, ever. It doesn't matter how many PC pamphlets you read, that's not really going to change anything.

well i have always seen alot of it as a lack of education(poor white racism), i have relatives who believe all the awful dumb stuff but when you genuinly explain stuff to them and dont be a weird dick about it, it sinks in. sure it will probaly be lost next time they go watch hannity or rush(which is where alot of the stupid poo poo comes from, along with poverty and lack of education). honestly i just feel bad for them. honestly it often depends how you EXPIRENCE a idea and who is transmiting it rather then the idea it self. like i was turned of leftism for good long while because i had terrible college professor who was literally a steriotype out of a conservative chain e-mail.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

There are a lot of ways to define a new masculinity. But it's hard within a "woke/sjw" framework because the definition needs to have some explicitly positive, assertive qualities to it to be meaningful but they find it hard to accept defining something as masculine doesn't mean defining the feminine as the opposite.

For instance, the suggestion that a man should be strong and brave can be interpreted as a suggestion that the feminine is weak and cowardly. Obviously, life is much more grey area than all of that and any good future definition of masculinity will be self-defining and not reliant on measuring itself against women in that kind of way. But, that can be hard to explain sometimes when the older attitudes are a long way from being stamped out.

probaly. jon is trapped in his own rhetoric and will be forever.

https://twitter.com/SuperNerdMike/status/849043504365830144

this whole thread explains him better though alot of the early life stuff is bullshit, he doesnt own a island, from everything i see, he came from a middle class hard evangelical family and went hard left when 9/11 broke his brain.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Apr 4, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

rudatron posted:

The instant they stop feeling guilty, minorities are going to get exactly the same treatment that rednecks get now - indifference.

Kind of like how groups of European immigrants used to be discriminated against and now they're just considered white people?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

A lot of these people do come across as former hard core evangelicals that have replaced the christian doctrine with this bizarre cult they're in.

I honestly don't understand how people tolerate these crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes trying to kiss up to them, and "white knight" for them. This of course all being done while they do absolutely nothing to assist them economically or in reforming laws for them. Kyle Kulinski uses the phrase "McFeminism" and I'm starting to believe that's growing more so into "McIntersectionalfeminism".

On a dumb unrelated note? I feel horrible admitting this, but I hope this Russia story winds up with the media looking like dipshits in the end. It's not that I "like" Trump. It's just the people parroting this poo poo up and down he neoliberal/neoconservative pipeline are somehow even worse than Trump. I want to see them fail.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

On a dumb unrelated note? I feel horrible admitting this, but I hope this Russia story winds up with the media looking like dipshits in the end. It's not that I "like" Trump. It's just the people parroting this poo poo up and down he neoliberal/neoconservative pipeline are somehow even worse than Trump. I want to see them fail.

there's no loving grand russian conspiracy, putin just knows how to massage trump's ego and surprise, massage a bully's ego and it's very easy to get him to do what you want

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

FuzzySkinner posted:

A lot of these people do come across as former hard core evangelicals that have replaced the christian doctrine with this bizarre cult they're in.

I honestly don't understand how people tolerate these crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes trying to kiss up to them, and "white knight" for them. This of course all being done while they do absolutely nothing to assist them economically or in reforming laws for them. Kyle Kulinski uses the phrase "McFeminism" and I'm starting to believe that's growing more so into "McIntersectionalfeminism".

I had a friend in high school who was very religious and had "absolutely no sympathy for homosexuals or satanists," (something he once told me, unprovoked). Sometime during junior year he became a gay marxist near-militant furry who literally growled at the TV when Bush was on/mentioned. At no point during his transition was he ever "I'm just some guy with opinions but if yours are different that's cool and also maybe I like dudes but not animals." It was either all one way or the other.

And if you ever get tired of hearing about the Russia stuff, just say that the 1980's are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back. :viggo:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't, i don't believe that trump is some secret GRU agent or some poo poo, but i think he is an idiot who is in deep with the sharks so he put a ton of his money and properties in russia and they probaly have ton of poo poo on him + plus he has a massive boner for putin. and he is surrounded by idiots who openly either worked for putin or are useful idiots to him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

How is there so many goddamned liberals who get random rear end check marks? (Again, before anyone flips out? Liberals and Leftists are two different things. I identify as a "Lefty")

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/849264907665133574

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/849271752802811904

my brain hurts.

At least someone called him out on his stupidity

https://twitter.com/kalenasthom/status/849362337962348545

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

How is there so many goddamned liberals who get random rear end check marks? (Again, before anyone flips out? Liberals and Leftists are two different things. I identify as a "Lefty")

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/849264907665133574

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/849271752802811904

my brain hurts.

At least someone called him out on his stupidity

https://twitter.com/kalenasthom/status/849362337962348545

i am amused about the dumb fucks liberals who are clapping over trump giving his salery to the national parks, which he is also gutting by 2 BILLION dollars.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

FuzzySkinner posted:

How is there so many goddamned liberals who get random rear end check marks?

Anyone can get their account verified these days.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySkinner posted:

because crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes who "white knight" you and act like weirdos still beat the hell out of all the crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes who call you slurs, don't want you in their communities and spaces, secretly or openly wish violence upon you, etc

people who do nothing helpful are a step up from people who do harm, and there's still enough of the latter to go around

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've been using lib/neolib/woke/plastic progressive/Democrat in name only/etc interchangeably.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
JEB!

No further comment.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I've been using lib/neolib/woke/plastic progressive/Democrat in name only/etc interchangeably.

We're the Greenwald Left or "Putin's Personal Invading Army". according to this guy

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/849442659882217472

e: The merger of neoliberals and neoconservatives into one lovely political power is now complete.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 03:15 on Apr 5, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
How can I be this broke when I'm getting checks from Putin, Soros, and Bashar al-Assad?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MaxxBot posted:

JEB!

No further comment.

A good post.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

an actual dog posted:

Low-hanging fruit, but Lowtax

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

We're the Greenwald Left or "Putin's Personal Invading Army". according to this guy

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/849442659882217472

e: The merger of neoliberals and neoconservatives into one lovely political power is now complete.

At this point with Trump flailing politically, the Democrats can revise 2016.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

an actual dog posted:

Only if you have "correct" opinions.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Only if you have "correct" opinions.

This guy is a notorious wrong thinker but he still has his checkmark. Its more about how you present the wrong think and how large your reach is.

https://twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/849226991110938625

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I spent far too long scratching my head on where to post this one, but in the end the rise of the insult 'cuck' won out, that it must be in the mockthread.

NSFW. Herein we try and retake 'cuck' from the alt-right trolls, and explain how cuckolding is a wholesome and good fetish!

:nws: http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/cuckolding/ :nws:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

I spent far too long scratching my head on where to post this one, but in the end the rise of the insult 'cuck' won out, that it must be in the mockthread.

NSFW. Herein we try and retake 'cuck' from the alt-right trolls, and explain how cuckolding is a wholesome and good fetish!

:nws: http://www.ohjoysextoy.com/cuckolding/ :nws:

Lol. People are free to do whatever. But cuckolding always seemed like a really pathetic fetish to me which I guess is the point and gets to make these fools feel like the "ultimate feminist". And they get to be like Anthony burch. But seriously I saw a vice documentary on it and it just looks like it's a murder suicide waiting to happen. http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/what-open-marriage-taught-one-man-about-feminism.html

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Being A Pathetic Worm Unfit To Pass Along His Genes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Letting someone gently caress your wife is woke now :lol:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wizard on a water slide posted:

because crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes who "white knight" you and act like weirdos still beat the hell out of all the crazy rear end white as a ghost assholes who call you slurs, don't want you in their communities and spaces, secretly or openly wish violence upon you, etc

people who do nothing helpful are a step up from people who do harm, and there's still enough of the latter to go around

I'm pretty sure most of the woke twitter warriors aren't "beating" anyone. The other problem is that the worst of these folks think that economic justice is racist and, when you actually poll minorities instead of filtering what they think through white academia speak, they tend to rank economic security higher than some rear end in a top hat putting their coat over a muddy puddle for them

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Letting someone gently caress your wife is woke now :lol:
The argument he uses could be used to excuse any lovely behavior on her part.

e.g.

quote:

She didn’t present it as an issue of feminism to me, but after much soul-searching about why the idea of my wife [spending our savings on slot machines] bothered me I came to a few conclusions: [asking her not to] meant I controlled her [financial independence], and, not to get all women’s-studies major about it, patriarchal oppression essentially boils down to a man’s fear that a woman with [financial independence] is a woman he can’t control.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
She didn’t present it as an issue of feminism to me, but after much soul-searching about why the idea of my wife [injecting heroin] bothered me I came to a few conclusions: [sobriety] meant I controlled her [bodily], and, not to get all women’s-studies major about it, patriarchal oppression essentially boils down to a man’s fear that a woman with [bodily autonomy] is a woman he can’t control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

the trump tutelage posted:

The argument he uses could be used to excuse any lovely behavior on her part.

Asking anyone to do anything is using power, and power is bad so never stop someone from doing what they want.

Jfc

• Locked thread