Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Just started the game, and it has such a huge amount of overscan that half of the subtitles are being cut off, as well as some UI elements. PS4 settings are ignored by the game, and my TV has no settings for that. This sucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Why are you closing the game if you have to go somewhere? Just pust the PS4 in rest mode.

'cos Rest Mode's been weird and crashing my PlayStation while resting for some bizarre reason recently.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man is the difficulty ramped up in this or what?

Early 1st dungeon stuff. When Ryuji got his persona and I wound up winning on deaths door. Fine, I made a dumb call and got punished hardcore in a single turn. Then I got to Ann's awakening and flying toilet dude nearly nuked my whole team to death in a single go with MC and Ryuji in a downed state. I was able to beat him with my next move but if he didn't cast Dia on himself I'm pretty sure I would of game overed then and there.

I know these games can be unforgiving but that seems a little extreme for early game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have notifications off and I still get one when a trophy screen grab tries to happen. LAME!

Game is fun so far though. Do kind of wish it asked me to save between school > dungeon crawl at least at the super early point, 'cos I have to go do things and ended up losing 10 to 15 mins of cutscene progress.

If the Fast Forward thing works well though, it's not a big deal.

There's an option toggle buried somewhere in PS4 settings to disable screenshots for trophies (if that's not what you meant by notifications.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well I was going to try to follow the 100% max social link guide, but jesus this first dungeon is a marathon with the limited resources you have at the beginning of the game. I'm out of SP completely and running on fumes, haven't been able to grab a bunch of Personas because I'm still only level 9 and I'm pretty sure there's at least one miniboss left before I can get the stupid treasure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

enojy posted:

There's an option toggle buried somewhere in PS4 settings to disable screenshots for trophies (if that's not what you meant by notifications.)

I thought there was but wasn't certain, that'll fix the problem for sure, thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Suaimhneas posted:

Just started the game, and it has such a huge amount of overscan that half of the subtitles are being cut off, as well as some UI elements. PS4 settings are ignored by the game, and my TV has no settings for that. This sucks :(
ps4 screen settings are a placebo and work with no games

source: me and my old overscan tv

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's probably been brought up but the only thing I'm disliking so far is Igor's terrible new voice actor.
VA in general hasn't been shockingly great but I'm coming off of Nier 1 which has decent to good VA everywhere.

Also I had a bet with my girlfriend about when it'd let me start playing for real and she went with 2 hours in I went with 4 and sadly I'm winning.
TMS FE dropped you in some dungeons really quick, although so far P5 is about a thousand times more appealing in every other aspect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wassup, Persona

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Please take care of me

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Relin posted:

ps4 screen settings are a placebo and work with no games

source: me and my old overscan tv

I guess i never knew this because I've just never seen a game where it's this severe before. I can't play the game for long because I just get this awful feeling of claustrophobia from how much it's zoomed in.

I'll have to try hooking it up to my computer monitor. Don't want to have to buy a new TV for one game

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I don't mind the slow introduction at all though I reached the end of the "partial download" and have to wait until tomorrow.

Of course one of my housemates decided to come into the room right before King Kamoshida first walked in in his heart covered robe, that was pretty hilarious

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just got Moon Rank 1.

- My MC is named Kaitou Takashi. Would be Takahashi but not enough room. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterious_Joker

- English VA is Good, glad to have it on for all the unsubbed stuff.

- I managed to do the entire Palace in one run, thanks to selling the free DLC Soma and getting an early 50k yen to stock up on healing and the best equipment.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

lets hang out posted:

Please take care of me
please shiku onegai care of me masu

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Holy crap this first dungeon is hard to clear in one run. I barely managed it but had to use some of my nicer healing items when my party got hit by Marin Karin.

It was way easier to do this in P4. They definitely want you to have to do these dungeons in stages.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Endorph posted:

teenagers being nothing but angry and depressed is way better and more relatable writing than p3/p4, tbh

What about Fuuka's constant social anxiety

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

- I managed to do the entire Palace in one run, thanks to selling the free DLC Soma and getting an early 50k yen to stock up on healing and the best equipment.
def stealing this hot strat ty

a lot of the discourse I remember after the Japanese release was that money was real right for longer than you'd like

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

I mean if you wanna talk about suicide in Japan...

Touché

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Holy poo poo Kamoshida is even more goddamn despicable than I heard. Ann and Ryuji better loving gut this dude.

Also, I just got to the first dungeon right and proper 3 and a half hours in but I honestly feel the pacing hasn't been too bad. Lots of interesting stuff is happening, the characters are cool, and it's certainly gotten me invested. I'm already really interested in Ryuji, Ann, and Morgana's deals. They're cool dudes. And the voice acting's much better than I heard it was going to be

Really solid so far.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was a fool and thought i could buy this game in Australia without preordering at 5:30PM at two different major chain stores and I was very wrong.

Still I got a decent 2.5 hours in with downloaded data and that's OK to go to bed with.
SCHOOL VOLLEYBALL IS BIG DEAL APPARENTLY

For anyone who doesn't know and cares for whatever reason: the PS4 playable section of the download goes up until the end of the second visit to the Velvet Room, which technically means you get to walk around the west side of the school a little bit and meet Ryuji on the roof after the first tutorial dungeonish bit.

Eventual MC name settled on:
Deckle Dedges.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 4, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

am i missing out on anything major by getting the ps3 version instead of the ps4 version

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's the same game just with fuzzier graphics. Not sure if it's going to receive the same DLC. I assume yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

1080p, less people in the streets and slightly blurrier textures is the only difference.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i'm lost on the subway
this game hits too close to home
0/10
piece of poo poo
garbage

I liked that they dropped that in for a quick lost-in-the-big-city LUDONARRATIVE thing.

Also 4 hours in vs 14 hours in and I hate

but feel nothing for

Much better RPG than Andromeda for sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ok cool, ordered it. thanks!

why is this guys head a soda can pull tab

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
He's the alien ringleader.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I am sure it is intentional, but man everyone except for the kids are absolute cocks in this game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sojiro likes cats so I can't hate him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

"Eh, I don't need to leave the palace after this Archangel miniboss, I still have a bit of SP left so we should be able to make it to the next save point"

*kelpies materialize from thin air to ambush you and summon more kelpies*

"Right, that was kind of bullshit and we're kind of low on everything, but surely the next save point is right around the corner"

*next save point is very much not right around the corner*

Eventually made it back with no SP left and everyone except the main character at 1 HP. Good times.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Saint Freak posted:

He's the alien ringleader.

yo ill emptyquote this

lol

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Stayed up all night beating the first palace. Game's fun.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm noticing they didn't subtitle a lot of stuff in the anime cutscenes like they didn't subtitle the tv chatter in a super early cutscene with Sae and Goro and I assume what tv lady said is important. Is it like that the whole game? Should I switch to dub?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ramadu posted:

so they just dont want people to watch the game ok thats stupid

Just buy the game and play it you giant retard. If you really must watch it instead go to goddamn twitch tv to watch it without the lovely rear end PS4 streaming overlay.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
the weirdest thing to me so far, and keep in mind I only just got to the cafe, but instead of "Starting today, this is your room...", it's "Starting today, this is my room..."

I'm not used to the main character having uh...thoughts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Capsaicin posted:

the weirdest thing to me so far, and keep in mind I only just got to the cafe, but instead of "Starting today, this is your room...", it's "Starting today, this is my room..."

I'm not used to the main character having uh...thoughts.

Look, just because the P4 protag was bad at expressing emotions that doesn't mean that he was completely braindead jeeze

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Stayed up all night beating the first palace. Game's fun.

I wish I had the stamina. Only made it to 04/13 and it's time for sleep. I could blame this on weeks of being overworked, but instead I'll say Igor's new VA has rendered me unconscious with the power of reading cue cards.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

nopantsjack posted:

It's probably been brought up but the only thing I'm disliking so far is Igor's terrible new voice actor.

Seriously. What the hell were they thinking?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My hot take on a igors voice. It's fine

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's mostly weird because it's different. Going from goblin to baritone is quite the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah goons hate change