Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The self-compromising insistance of FPS police to add every game that doesn't have 60 fps to their list no matter if it makes any sense is the most hilarious part of it. It's like half of the games on the list which makes it utterly worthless even for the intended purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The first response is what I say to every single woman I meet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

It's like half of the games on the list which makes it utterly worthless even for the intended purpose.

No, I'm sure every game they add makes them feel smug and self-righteous.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can understand calling out a shoddy PC port that's locked to 30fps when a modern system can clearly handle much higher, but making a big deal out of anime VN games is pretty much the dumbest thing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
goons really don't like TB or sterling

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Consumption is the worst.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It's cool but pretty loving dark and has serious poo poo to say in a way I wouldn't have expected coming off of 3+4

Yeah. Its political in a way I wasn't expecting at all

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

KingSlime posted:

goons really don't like TB or sterling

totalbiscuit is a completely brokenbrained rear end in a top hat, jim sterling makes good points but totally does things just to stir poo poo up like a fat baby. also lol at his 2/10 review for yooka laylee

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why is TB bad I know nothing of youtube gamesmen besides maybe Jimbo and Dunkey

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All I know about TB is that he once posted a huge incoherent screed about atheism (I think) on this very forum.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr Cheeto posted:

He was a goon and goons instinctively hate their own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

totalbiscuit is a completely brokenbrained rear end in a top hat, jim sterling makes good points but totally does things just to stir poo poo up like a fat baby. also lol at his 2/10 review for yooka laylee

maybe he didn't like the game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was going to go look for that review but it looks like his site's getting DDOS'd yet again. Weird. You'd think the kind of people who do that would agree with a negative review of Yooka-Laylee because they probably think JonTron was treated unfairly.

Or is the DDOS still because Laura didn't give Persona 5 a high enough score?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

All I know is that there are a lot of UK game reviewers on youtube and they all have this terribly annoying style where they have to lay out their argument like it's the preamble to a loving graduate thesis.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only concrete memory i have of totalbiscuit is him having a twitter meltdown some odd years back about a reddit subforum being shut down, genuinely and earnestly comparing it to the napalming of a civilian village during the vietnam war

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

There's a bunch of bad reviews for yl, he's not alone. Even the meh ones are clearly folks who were primed to like it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This might surprise yall but yl is a bad game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Everything else I've seen about that game seems Not Very Good, unfortunately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, Yooka-Laylee isn't doing well anywhere. I don't see any reason to doubt Jim's sincerity in his review.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you want a charming mascot thing please play Snake Pass.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
"this guy gave a game I like a bad score for attention" is an insanely bad meme

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Cheeto posted:

He makes insanely boring content about graphics options and the korean starcraft team he owns and acts very serious about being the bill oreilly of youtube games (specifically pc @60 fps only games)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Yooka-Laylee is getting only good reviews from what I'm seeing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

"this guy gave a game I like a bad score for attention" is an insanely bad meme

nobody likes yookalaylee but just lol at a 2/10 score

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yooka-Laylee is getting only good reviews from what I'm seeing

It seems like it's pretty polarizing. Destructoid and Game Informer's reviews are positive, while Polygon's and Eurogamer's are definitely falling in the "meh at best" range.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish I was at home playing Persona 5

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol at scored reviews

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

Game review scores are so inflated compared to every other genre that every release gets a 2/10 if it even loads when you press the start button.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

He makes insanely boring content about graphics options and the korean starcraft team he owns and acts very serious about being the bill oreilly of youtube games (specifically pc @60 fps only games)

I know people make fun of the FPS police thing and it's obviously a retarded argument when it comes to stuff like VNs, but there's value in knowing whether a PC port's good or bad, and limiting framerate--especially to 30--when the hardware can be powerful enough to go higher is a pretty big dealbreaker to action games and such.

And no, I don't follow TB's stuff, or any youtuber's really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I wish I was at home playing Persona 5

Me, too. I won't be until Friday. :negative:

At least it gives me ample time to be indecisive about what I'm going to name the main character :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only YouTube account I subscribe to is Pannenkoek and his secondary account and I have it set up to text my phone whenever he uploads a new video.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

MinibarMatchman posted:

Jimbo doesn't work within the 6-10 scoring range that has become the industry standard, that's been clear for a while. We had to do this same song and dance when BotW got a 7.

Motto posted:

lol at scored reviews

In Training posted:

The only YouTube account I subscribe to is Pannenkoek and his secondary account and I have it set up to text my phone whenever he uploads a new video.
:yeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Me, too. I won't be until Friday. :negative:

At least it gives me ample time to be indecisive about what I'm going to name the main character :v:

I always make RPG characters after myself because I always thought that was supposed to be the point

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I only look at the scores :twisted:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr Cheeto posted:

He used to post here and the only thing I can remember about him is that his posts were really bad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the trick to sterling reviews is score + (10-score)*.3

so 7.9 for botw and 4.4 for yl. sounds right

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dunkey has never been wrong about a game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

check out the eu4 reman's paradox guy. you'll thank me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

I know people make fun of the FPS police thing and it's obviously a retarded argument when it comes to stuff like VNs, but there's value in knowing whether a PC port's good or bad, and limiting framerate--especially to 30--when the hardware can be powerful enough to go higher is a pretty big dealbreaker to action games and such.

And no, I don't follow TB's stuff, or any youtuber's really.

Me: tb posts useless info for his fans to circle jerk over

You: yeah he does but theres value in doing a similar but not useless thing without regard for internet celebrity

Me: right on! but we are clear that tb is useless and ungood right?

• Locked thread