Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

I always make RPG characters after myself because I always thought that was supposed to be the point

I always make them cute girls because that's what I wish I was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Dunkey has never been wrong about a game.

Hes the only funny games youtuber

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

All things are possible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

That's not possible in Persona 5

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Real hurthling! posted:

Me: right on! but we are clear that tb is useless and ungood right?
Don't know, don't care.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

That's not possible in Persona 5

I know :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I name my characters goku. It works better in dq games because of the art

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When given the option I've always played as lady assassin types since the days of Hexen 2 because I wish nothing but death upon all men.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I go with default names or random ones if that's not an option, or if there's some weird adaptation of the game that gives them a canon name I'll go with that because the roleplay part of the game is the least interesting bit to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I play as a girl because if I'm gonna be staring at somebody's rear end for 50 hours, may as well be a hot chick's, am I right fellas?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I dunno, guys, review scores produce such quality forums discussions, they can't be all bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I always make RPG characters after myself because I always thought that was supposed to be the point

I usually pick a Japanese name for Persona games just so that the main character's name doesn't stick out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that people here like Dunkey. He's just so fun and funny.

I got into him from his MGSV videos, and the fact that he made 3 videos for mgsv is how I knew he was awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you didn't play Persona 4 as something incredibly stupid like Hyu Dunnit, I don't even want to talk to you

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am glad that my irrational dislike of the bat's nose in Y-L as a reason to steer clear of that game is paying dividends, now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

I play as a girl because if I'm gonna be staring at somebody's rear end for 50 hours, may as well be a hot chick's, am I right fellas?

I usually pick a woman so that I'm not playing as yet another Tough Guy but I will also go for ridiculous comedy creation because I generally don't take videogames too seriously.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I played as male Shepard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

If there’s one thing that can be said in Yooka-Laylee‘s favor, it’s that Playtonic absolutely nailed the creation of a late 90s 3D mascot platformer.

Unfortunately, I do not mean that as a compliment.

The first two lines of sterling's yooka laylee review pretty much summed up what I thought the game was gonna turn out like. It's getting pretty alright reviews elsewhere so I'd have to watch a "real" playthrough of it not done by news sites to see for myself but this does not feel unexpected to me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yooka-Laylee 64

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
when afforded the option, i always play as a boy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I bought Harvest Moon Boy & Girl and it's making me choose between them?!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Should be called Boy or Girl.

Boy || Girl

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Apparently (aside from performance issues) the absolute worst parts of YL are the multiple mine-cart and general mini-game sections.

Y'know the parts of Rareware games that a lot of people always had a hard time with?

Especially the top-down racing mini-game section that the devs for some reason thought people everywhere loved. I guess gamers who grew up in the UK and were accustomed to those types of racing games on their gaming computing machines really loved them for whatever reason and Rareware made a few of those back in the day.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I love the minecart sections in DKC but I have no idea how that's not annoying in 3D where you're moving fast and having to finagle a camera at the same time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

speaking of Rare I'd really like Tropical Freeze ported to Switch. god knows they tried to do something with the squished DKC Returns on 3DS but I need all those grafix in full.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MinibarMatchman posted:

speaking of Rare I'd really like Tropical Freeze ported to Switch. god knows they tried to do something with the squished DKC Returns on 3DS but I need all those grafix in full.

In order to get a new Returns game out by the holidays all platforming will be cut and the game will consist entirely of old and new mine-cart and rocket-barrel levels.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In order to get a new Returns game out by the holidays all platforming will be cut and the game will consist entirely of old and new mine-cart and rocket-barrel levels.

im ok with this

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Macaluso is screaming happily somewhere right now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any reasoning behind when games are blocked from the share functionality on PS4? Like streaming and audio licensing stuff I can understand, but why prevent screenshots too? I've gotten so accustomed to sharing stuff being instantaneous that it sucks when it doesn't work

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Is there any reasoning behind when games are blocked from the share functionality on PS4? Like streaming and audio licensing stuff I can understand, but why prevent screenshots too? I've gotten so accustomed to sharing stuff being instantaneous that it sucks when it doesn't work

Japanese publishers are very picky about it. Dragonball xenoverse had like every conceivable option turned off so it couldnt even be remote played.
Puyopuyo tetris blocked the character interactions between levels so that if you had the notifications on you couldnt play the first 20 seconds of a level cause the "sharing resumed" message covered your play area

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I know about Totalbiscuit is that he has terrible fans that he makes no attempt to corral when they decide to start harassing internet celebrities that either said something bad about TB or TB said something bad about.

an actual dog posted:

Yooka-Laylee 64

Aw, that's unfortunate, I was looking forward to that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I would just like to know that Retro still exist and are making something

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

That feeling when you get a trophy in a game with blocked sharing and get an error message to pop up because it tried to take a screenshot for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Some publishers think that when you take a screenshot of their game, it captures a part of their profits.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

In Training posted:

I wish I was at home playing Persona 5

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

it depends on the game. A lot of Japanese stuff for example has a blanket block on all streaming/screenshots due to music stuff which is stupid as hell. Sometimes it is to block spoilers which is also stupid as hell because it is super easy to take a photo of the screen or whatever if you want.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The funniest was EA blocking the 'connecting to internet' part of DA:I so no one could record how long it took.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
also disappointed at the YL scores though not surprised

We really do need more colorful platformers and games in general (DS2 is the best DS game), so a lukewarm reception to YL is disheartening

At least in general devs seem to be moving away from muted color palates during this gen, that's one of the worst trends in gaming history (barring the very few examples where it's a deliberate and well executed choice)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Aw, that's unfortunate, I was looking forward to that.

Same. Oh well, Persona 5 is waiting for me when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
What 3D platformers are there any more? Feels like it's just Mario. I know there was a Ratchet game last year but I was under the impression that wasn't going to happen again.

• Locked thread