Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

I feel like the blue ibis god will do a lot of blocking and then leaving combat as it stops being a creature because you cast a removal spell on their other unblocked creature.

Also it encourages your opponent to first-main-phase their spells so you have to choose between countering and blocking, which is kind of interesting.

it doesn't stop being a creature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Also I wish Ensnaring Bridge wasn't so expensive because playing hellbent dog with EB in a jank FNM deck would be fun. Mostly because "burning bridges" would be a great name for that deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It is a limited bomb for sure, and may be a decent sideboard card for control mirrors; being able to draw extra cards while turning off your opponents removal seems good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
e: n/m

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

it doesn't stop being a creature

Oh right, huh. I'm still used to the Theros ones.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Green god, control creatures with total power of 10; Black god, opponent has 2 or fewer cards in hand; White god, control 4 or more creatures?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elyv posted:

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/849278145559539713

(the return land is actually a "may" apparently)

That's uh. Why does it have to be Azure Mage? I like it but it's so dang expensive to activate and getting to 7 cards in hand is kind of hard in this Standard. Without an X card draw spell, I don't see how you can easily enable this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Use the cat to flicker the draw enchantment spoiled earlier.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

That's uh. Why does it have to be Azure Mage? I like it but it's so dang expensive to activate and getting to 7 cards in hand is kind of hard in this Standard. Without an X card draw spell, I don't see how you can easily enable this.

As the guy playing Fevered Visions, I have seven cards in my hand quite a bit actually!

(This doesn't really fit in that deck though, paying mana to draw cards isn't really what you want and you're not lacking for finishers either)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sampatrick posted:

Ideally they reprint sphinx's rev

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GeneX posted:

It would even be perfectly on-flavour!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Elyv posted:

(the return land is actually a "may" apparently)

I hear the opposite, that it's 'return a land, you may draw a card'

Any japanese speakers about?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mossyfisk posted:

Green god, control creatures with total power of 10; Black god, opponent has 2 or fewer cards in hand; White god, control 4 or more creatures?

I would guess

Green: control 6 or more creatures
Black: 7 or more cards in your graveyard
White: something life-total related (either less than/equal to five or greater than/equal to ~35)

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Too bad that drake roost is rare so you're basically never going to get more than 1. Between that and the scarabs it looks like there could be some fun draft decks possible

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So what has been spoiled so far that seems interesting to play? Stormbreath Jr?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GeneX posted:

Do you really think WotC will reprint Sphinx's Revelation? Have they even printed a scaling card draw spell since RTR?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My favorite thing about this new god is how perfectly he would have fit into Saviors of Kamigawa as a moonfolk

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The monument cycle is really cool, though I'm disappointed Kefnet's doesn't use Exert. Huge missed opportunity there Wizards!

Essence Scatter being finally back is a sign things are moving in the right direction, even if it's not amazing.

Colorshifted Unstable Mutation is awesome especially with the -1/-1 counter theme, I like it.

Temmet's token having "~ is legendary" instead of it just being on the typeline is dumb and ugly looking.

Drake Haven is awesome and I hope we see more cycle payoff cards.

Apart from Drake Haven, all of the spoiled rares seem really underwhelming. Mythics are good though.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Booooring.

Hellbent Dog is neat because hellbent is actually a condition that you don't want. 7+ cards in hand? Great. That's already something good. Having a good thing turn on a 5/5 indestructible flyer is just an uninteresting win-more condition.

Hellbent in a RDW/burn/zoo deck means you're probably doing well. 7+ cards in hand in a grindy control deck means you're probably doing well. They fit their archetypes well, I think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

So what has been spoiled so far that seems interesting to play? Stormbreath Jr?

If there's any other good exert creatures, they all combo with Always Watching...

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Do you really think WotC will reprint Sphinx's Revelation? Have they even printed a scaling card draw spell since RTR?

Epiphany at the drownyard off the top of my head, probably more

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can they print a god that doesn't suck outside standard please

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sampatrick posted:

No but I can hope

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

All the gods are great in EDH, even if I hate them as commanders.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Must stop imagining melira chord Coco decks capitalizing on not getting the -1/-1 counters with these under costed​ beaters.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

EDH :downs:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

All the gods are great in EDH, even if I hate them as commanders.

Really should've qualified that statement a little more thoroughly

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sampatrick posted:

Yes, but not in this set--it would have been an Invocation. I suspect it'll be in the Hour of Devastation invocations, 10% chance to show up in that set.

e: X Draw spells aren't particularly strong outside of revelation. Mind Spring wasn't exactly a powerhouse and it got reprinted multiple times. Drawing 3 cards for 5 mana at sorcery speed don't break the game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes, but not in this set--it would have been an Invocation. I suspect it'll be in the Hour of Devastation invocations, 10% chance to show up in that set.

e: X Draw spells aren't particularly strong outside of revelation. Mind Spring wasn't exactly a powerhouse and it got reprinted multiple times. Drawing 3 cards for 5 mana at sorcery speed don't break the game.

BSZ and Stroke both saw play. It's mostly the instant speed ones that are very good; it's hard to fully abuse Mind Spring/Braingeyser. Instant speed x draw spells are powerful because they are insanely good late game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

what kind of a dumbass complaint is this, just because they don't print an X draw spell every set doesn't suddenly mean they've decided to never print one ever again

also like someone said, epiphany at the drownyard was printed and is standard-legal

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

There's been a bunch printed in black as well

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

what kind of a dumbass complaint is this, just because they don't print an X draw spell every set doesn't suddenly mean they've decided to never print one ever again

also like someone said, epiphany at the drownyard was printed and is standard-legal

I mean, it's kind of in line with the current design philosophy of avoiding very durdly blue control decks. It's also been, what, four and a half years since RTR was printed? In that time we haven't gotten a single x draw spell. Epiphany really, really doesn't count. Epiphany scales pretty drat poorly and doesn't have the late game power of a x draw spell. It looks like one, but it doesn't do the same thing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's also been like five years since we've gotten an Essence Scatter reprint, yet here we are.

I think Wizards might finally be letting the pendulum swing back towards some semblance of control viability, even if only slightly.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mossyfisk posted:

I hear the opposite, that it's 'return a land, you may draw a card'

Any japanese speakers about?

Yep.

3U: Draw a card. Then, you may return a land you control to its owner's hand.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

They're not gonna reprint Sphinx's Rev any more than they're going to reprint Siege Rhino. They pretty much never bring back format-defining Standard cards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Some Numbers posted:

Yep.

3U: Draw a card. Then, you may return a land you control to its owner's hand.

That's such a weird random thing to add to the ability. I guess if you don't draw a land, you can bounce and replay a tapped land to get an extra mana for the turn. And you can bounce cycling lands to pitch if you're really flooded.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's to make your hand size go to 7 faster so you can swing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tales of Woe posted:

They're not gonna reprint Sphinx's Rev any more than they're going to reprint Siege Rhino. They pretty much never bring back format-defining Standard cards.

Eh, I think Sphinx's Rev is probably like a 7 or 8 on the Thragtusk scale.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 4, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tales of Woe posted:

That, and they've made some high-profile mistakes with where to put powerful reprints in recent years - between Thoughtseize/Mutavault and the fetches with BFZ duals I think they're feeling pretty burnt on the whole endeavor. And now we get Masterpieces instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

That, and they've made some high-profile mistakes with where to put powerful reprints in recent years - between Thoughtseize/Mutavault and the fetches with BFZ duals I think they're feeling pretty burnt on the whole endeavor. And now we get Masterpieces instead.

What a wonderful feeling, to be able to get hideously gaudy cards instead of actual reprints.

• Locked thread