Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Norns posted:

What's the MC canonical name?

Akira Kurusu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got home with my Take Your Heart edition hell yeah pointless poo poo I don't need.

Also the guy behind the counter asked me to explain Drakengard 3 (and 1 and NieR) to him in a crowded store as he was thinking of getting Automata so I had a lot of fun.
That doesn't sound like fun tbh.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Okay, so once my game arrives and I get to those points and see them for myself on my TV instead of on my computer screen, am I allowed to feel disappointment then? I mean I'll even acknowledge that probably 99%+ of the lines are localized just fine but I've seen enough poor examples already that "concern and disappointment" don't really seem that unreasonable to me.
I just want people to play the game before they write their five paragraph long thesis on the nuance of failed localization to have played the game

Like totally be disappointed by it but some folks are weirdly smug and bitter about

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

It's perfectly fine to be disappointed but I would recommend you look through P3 and P4 again some time if you think it didn't do the exact same thing.

I know you're on a weirdly aggressive kick these days but I'm not looking at those games with any kind of rose colored glasses like you're assuming and that's why I personally didn't mention them at all. I expected more from Atlus localization wise on a game that was both hugely anticipated and hugely delayed, and while I'm sure I will still love the game there will still be small pangs of disappointment there that they dropped the ball just a bit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Harlock posted:

Akira Kurusu

Thanks for this. I usually like to name my protags after their canonical name, partially because I'm boring, partly because it makes for better storytelling.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Thanks for this. I usually like to name my protags after their canonical name, partially because I'm boring, partly because it makes for better storytelling.

Yeah this is why I asked!

Googling the game at this point doesn't seem like a good way to avoid spoilers

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Harlock posted:

Akira Kurusu
I actually like Barack Obama more

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Got the game yesterday, reached what I'm pretty sure is the final safe room of the first dungeon with a little over 7 hours on the clock. Game is really good.

Translation wise I've noticed a couple of weird things, but a lot of it seems kinda overblown, like people taking Velvet Room lines out of context. Or complaining about "Mr. Kamoshida's too nice for not abandoning a punk like that.", for some reason.

Also I got into a fight where the MC was immediately oneshotted by a critical Cleave, so it's good to see the quintessential SMT experience hasn't been lost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lakbay posted:

I'm noticing they didn't subtitle a lot of stuff in the anime cutscenes like they didn't subtitle the tv chatter in a super early cutscene with Sae and Goro and I assume what tv lady said is important. Is it like that the whole game? Should I switch to dub?

Don't play with subs, you big loving baby. Just play the game dubbed.

People who refuse to use dubs and insist on only listening to things in the original Japanese are weirdos and should be ostracized.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I thought someone said there was a separate option toggle for animation/movie/cutscene/whatever subtitles.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mordiceius posted:

Don't play with subs, you big loving baby. Just play the game dubbed.

People who refuse to use dubs and insist on only listening to things in the original Japanese are weirdos and should be ostracized.

so like is your intent to just shitpost all day or what

people can do what they like with the game that they bought, imo

Saigyouji posted:

Also I got into a fight where the MC was immediately oneshotted by a critical Cleave, so it's good to see the quintessential SMT experience hasn't been lost.

yeah i had three hold up talks go south in the tutorial (before getting the fourth party member) resulting in a lot of SP wasted for healing

g o o d s h i t

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can turn subtitles for every thing on or off basically yeah. Apparently some of the anime cutscene stuff is kinda wonky from what I've been hearing from a dude I know who's been playing but I won't know for myself until I'm looking at the English version.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The canonical joker - Ed Balls

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Jeez, the Izanagi & Izanagi Picaro you get from pre-ordering the digital version are level 24 or something and can curbstomp every midboss in the first palace in like two turns or less.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Flint Ironstag is the one true name of the protagonist.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a news report in an early anime movie that is obviously the focus of the scene for like 30 seconds that isn't subbed at all yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I know you're on a weirdly aggressive kick these days but I'm not looking at those games with any kind of rose colored glasses like you're assuming and that's why I personally didn't mention them at all. I expected more from Atlus localization wise on a game that was both hugely anticipated and hugely delayed, and while I'm sure I will still love the game there will still be small pangs of disappointment there that they dropped the ball just a bit.

I'm not sure why you expect more from an Atlus translation if you're not looking at them with nostalgic beer goggles then.

This is how Atlus translations are. They do have some well-localized and enjoyable lines but they have their share of awkwardness. Most translations do unless they go full-on in rewriting everything and sometimes even that is unavoidable when it gets into weird intentional ambiguous dialogue or metaphysical bullshit. P5 absolutely has areas where it could have been translated better from what I've seen but I can't think of an Atlus translation I don't feel that way about so I'm not sure why it's coming up here.

And if I'm being aggressive it is because I'm genuinely tired of cynical ironyposting or people repeating things they saw online being mistaken as a serious actual criticism which has happened in this thread and others. If you want to discuss problems then fine, but discuss them in the context of the game and not in people rushing to post screenshots that prove Atlus has FAILED unlike their other games which are okay because ???

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 4, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Chuck Tingle is actually the canonical protag.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Cool now my PS4 is acting super sluggish and randomly ejecting the disc this is definitely what I need :ughh:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you expect more from an Atlus translation if you're not looking at them with nostalgic beer goggles then.

This is how Atlus translations are. They do have some well-localized and enjoyable lines but they have their share of awkwardness. Most translations do unless they go full-on in rewriting everything and sometimes even that is unavoidable when it gets into weird intentional ambiguous dialogue or metaphysical bullshit. P5 absolutely has areas where it could have been translated better from what I've seen but I can't think of an Atlus translation I don't feel that way about so I'm not sure why it's coming up here.

Yakuza 0 just came out, was localized by the same people, and was done way better but don't let that stop you from being a big condescending prick about it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wow, Yakuza 0 was translated by Atlus USA?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lets hang out posted:

Yakuza 0 just came out, was localized

I think I spotted your problem

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

loving hell guys stop having slap fights about localization

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

boy are my arms tired posted:

people can do what they like with the game that they bought, imo

People can do what they want with the game, I agree, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to mock people who refuse to use the dub.

Unless you know Japanese, there is zero reason to use the original Japanese VA and if you do, I think you're a weeb weirdo. You're free to do it, it's your game, but you're still a weeb weirdo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is someone actually going to post the tweets of these terrible translations or not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Yakuza 0 just came out, was localized by the same people, and was done way better but don't let that stop you from being a big condescending prick about it

Yakuza 0 has a ton of incredibly awkward lines though? That doesn't mean it's localization is bad but you honestly are going to tell me I can't go through it and find some really genuinely weird lines?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

This is not really your point, but Sega does not do the localization for the Persona series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

Is someone actually going to post the tweets of these terrible translations or not

Twitter is a sea of dipshits so I'm sure not going to go looking for them myself.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tae posted:

"I love having sex with cats," Joker Protagonist

"Wow, I can't believe we are in Ikebukuro! A great place to shop when you go to Japan with your anime club," Ann Persona

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe someone would play Persona 5 in something that isn't the original english

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo&t=9s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Andrast posted:

I can't believe someone would play Persona 5 in something that isn't the original english

Sasuga Jokaaaaa

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Captain Baal posted:

This is not really your point, but Sega does not do the localization for the Persona series

They got atlus people to do a second pass on y0's script, something that this game sure seems like it didn't get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

They got atlus people to do a second pass on y0's script, something that this game sure seems like it didn't get.

So, let's be clear here. You've moved the goalpost to now "this entire script wasn't edited and every line of dialogue is like this" right? I just want to clear that you're now not arguing "they could have translated some things better" but that the entire script has no editing or localization and no effort was put into writing dialogue. You're doubling down on this?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Andrast posted:

You have not experienced Persona until you've played it in its original Klingon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

Ah yeah, I did forget that happened.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Tae posted:

These two accounts are where I saw various questionable examples, though they're both going a little overboard on the "oh god game ruined" sorta vibe:

https://twitter.com/sikieiki/

https://twitter.com/XEECEEVEVO/status/849171316418650112

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I will never not be irritated by that "make every statement an interrogative" poo poo that Kids These Days do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordiceius posted:

People can do what they want with the game, I agree, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to mock people who refuse to use the dub.

Unless you know Japanese, there is zero reason to use the original Japanese VA and if you do, I think you're a weeb weirdo. You're free to do it, it's your game, but you're still a weeb weirdo.

Oh gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Oxxidation posted:

I will never not be irritated by that "make every statement an interrogative" poo poo that Kids These Days do.
I don't know what you're talking about?