Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It can't be helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think maybe everyone's faces are just tired.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

These two accounts are where I saw various questionable examples, though they're both going a little overboard on the "oh god game ruined" sorta vibe:

https://twitter.com/sikieiki/

https://twitter.com/XEECEEVEVO/status/849171316418650112

I took one look at that twitter and he changed "rape" in the official translation to "very loud man." Uh....

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

People can do what they want with the game, I agree, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to mock people who refuse to use the dub.

Unless you know Japanese, there is zero reason to use the original Japanese VA and if you do, I think you're a weeb weirdo. You're free to do it, it's your game, but you're still a weeb weirdo.

I like dubs but lmao

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the persona 5 cast are my nakama

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

the persona 5 cast are my nakama

Nakama ja nai

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anime ja nai

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Anime ja nai

Great, now that song is stuck in my head.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

So, let's be clear here. You've moved the goalpost to now "this entire script wasn't edited and every line of dialogue is like this" right? I just want to clear that you're now not arguing "they could have translated some things better" but that the entire script has no editing or localization and no effort was put into writing dialogue. You're doubling down on this?

I saw it over and over in the one hour I played. I can't comment on the rest of the script because I haven't seen it, but they sure as hell should have done a better job with the beginning of the game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm gonna play in japanese so I can just throw myself into 100 hours of japanese i'll barely understand so I can have more of a ear for my 200 level JPN courses so the subtitles not working for some anime cutscenes sounds like a fun challenge

Also very beginning spoilers not agreeing to the This Story Is A Work Of Fiction agreement rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Great, now that song is stuck in my head.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Holy poo poo no one told me that the principal is literally Wilson Fisk

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Questionable translations and bizarre dialogue are everywhere in video games. Always have been. Dunno why this is making people get so worked up.

What I am bugged by is the fact that multiple voice actors have no idea how to pronounce the name Sakamoto and the voice director didn't bother to correct them. That kind of stuff is way more awkward than some esoteric line.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

They were apparently coached by the voice director to say it that way.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, apparently that was an explicit request of Atlus JP.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Atlus JP are a buncha jokahs.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I can't tell if those are joke posts or not but if that's true that's weird as hell but whatever. Maybe this is Earth 2 where everyone talks funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JT Jag posted:

Holy poo poo no one told me that the principal is literally Wilson Fisk

I said this a long time ago and I'm glad someone is saying it

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

I can't tell if those are joke posts or not but if that's true that's weird as hell but whatever. Maybe this is Earth 2 where everyone talks funny.

They are not

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope in the next game Chie's old voice actor voices Igor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't know if I love or hate Sojiro's hat

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
So. many. load. screens.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JT Jag posted:

You love it and his goofy loving outfit that he wears when he goes to mack on ladies

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

JT Jag posted:

I think it's a great fit for his character, that character being "poser playboy"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a bit where a character asks another if they want a drink and the person offered says "I'll have the one that isn't carbonated" (may be a little off) and the response is "They're both, actually" (is right).

Like, reading that, you know what they're saying and it's not especially wrong, but it's not how people actually talk to one another.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

https://twitter.com/ErikaHarlacher/status/841752349546704896

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JT Jag posted:

It is a terrible hat and thus makes perfect sense for the character Sojiro is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I still don't know why she sincerely responded to that poo poo when every other VA knew to keep their mouth shut, but she at least gave me an insight into who is behind the localization this time.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I'm going to mute the game and turn off subtitles and make my own script

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Thanks. That's really interesting.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why is everyone hating on poor innocent Sojiro

I'm still early in the game and dude's certainly uh, questionable but I'm constantly amused by him fretting about the MC's safety in these cutaways. Unless there's a swerve and he actually DOESN'T care at all they kinda played him being nice pretty early.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sojiro's loving awesome

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why is everyone hating on poor innocent Sojiro

I'm still early in the game and dude's certainly uh, questionable but I'm constantly amused by him fretting about the MC's safety in these cutaways. Unless there's a swerve and he actually DOESN'T care at all they kinda played him being nice pretty early.

I just mean more that Sojiro is the kind of guy who doesn't shut up about how he's trying to get laid.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

https://twitter.com/randomfox/status/845414021327044610

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I want Kamoshida to die.

Excuse that I pronounce it in my terrible dishonourable English.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I just mean more that Sojiro is the kind of guy who doesn't shut up about how he's trying to get laid.

That's fair. Most of the stuff is just "Aw man I hope he has a umbrella." "Fine you can keep the cat, cats are cool :)" type things.

Some stuff probably slipped by me as I was half asleep playing last night though.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm gonna mute this thread and turn off all the posters

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the one hand, Sojiro wears a stupid hat and seems like a PUA tool.
On the other hand, he's voiced by Joji Nakata, so he's actually extremely good.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Sojiro is one of the few reasonable adults so far, even if he is kinda a jerk. The others being airsoft guy (also a jerk), and Tae, although that's kinda pushing the definition of reasonable at this point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Digital Tokyo is really big

It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to transfer train lines for the first time when getting to school, points for realism Atlus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sojiro saying that he doesn't like to have men's numbers in his phone is maybe one of the most revealing bits of a character I've seen

like oh, okay old dude I see your game instantly