Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Meridian posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for general zone progression? Just finished getting the data slate upgrade last night , trying to figure out which direction to go next.

Zora and Rito first for exploration and survival boosts and then wander as you like. I did Rito last and its reward was essentially wasted on me by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Novum posted:

Zora and Rito first for exploration and survival boosts and then wander as you like. I did Rito last and its reward was essentially wasted on me by that point.

Zora can be good for boss/miniboss fights early on. I didn't start getting hearts until I finished the stamina gauges, so any time I wanted a big fight I would intentionally die to trigger zora power for the hearts. Likewise, Rito power is really really helpful before you have very much stamina.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's cool that Nintendo is going to make more BotW-style Zeldas, but man they have written themselves the biggest pass to be as experimental as they want with the next game, and I hope they do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Game grumps just did the notorious Yiga part everyone complains about. They are known for being especially bad at videogames most of the time. They beat the section on their first try.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've been watching a few LPs of the game and it looks cool. Is it just me or does everyone in this game wanna get on the Link D?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

parallelodad posted:

Game grumps just did the notorious Yiga part everyone complains about. They are known for being especially bad at videogames most of the time. They beat the section on their first try.

Probably because it's super easy and the lady in the cell spells out to you to lure them with bananas.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spikeguy posted:

I've been watching a few LPs of the game and it looks cool. Is it just me or does everyone in this game wanna get on the Link D?

Everyone does.

Except that one girl who's like "you're not my type"

Like what is your type, because link is basically the perfect humanhylian

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

parallelodad posted:

i like the banter but holy crap do i sometimes feel like screaming at the screen "it's right over there!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i like the banter but holy crap do i sometimes feel like screaming at the screen "it's right over there!"

This is basically every LP.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The worst is when they figure out the right solution, try it once but screw it up, and then give up on it and go back to trying to get the wrong thing to work.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You're a dumb rear end bitch if you mimic amiibo functions. I just paid $11 for SSB Link (new!) on eBay. Either the seller didn't know it has a purpose/value now or I'm about to be sent an empty cardboard box.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Alec Eiffel posted:

You're a dumb rear end bitch if you mimic amiibo functions. I just paid $11 for SSB Link (new!) on eBay. Either the seller didn't know it has a purpose/value now or I'm about to be sent an empty cardboard box.

I just beat all the sidequests and junk and I'm thinking about save scumming the smash link one and see if theres any rad poo poo I can get

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Well boy they hosed up the translation bigly then!!!

Technically not. That is an accurate translation and best reflects the content in it's original language. The difference is between a translation and interpretation. A translator will translate directly and almost literally from one language to an other. An interpreter will take the meaning and intent from one language and make you understood in the other language. It's up to the player to recognise this and understand the cultural and linguistic viewpoint of the authors.

Also having worked with both a translators and interpreters. I will take an interpreter every time for a face to face interaction, it is a bizarre and very cool experience to be talking and the interpreter starts before you've even finished.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Are Zora and Gerudo not Hylians? Aren't they all living in Hylia? What's the DEAL with THAT?!

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Tree Dude posted:

Are Zora and Gerudo not Hylians? Aren't they all living in Hylia? What's the DEAL with THAT?!

Hylians are the true master race that the Goddess Hylia created in her image. Gerudo/Zora/Goron/Rito are all mutants and must be purged.

e: Speaking of Mutants, weren't the Rito supposed to be Mutant Zora during Windwaker? Dafuq Nintendo, why are they both around.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Hylians are the true master race that the Goddess Hylia created in her image. Gerudo/Zora/Goron/Rito are all mutants and must be purged.

e: Speaking of Mutants, weren't the Rito supposed to be Mutant Zora during Windwaker? Dafuq Nintendo, why are they both around.

It is about time for a cgi fallout game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harrow posted:

I guess that's just not really what game this is. I'm not sure there's supposed to be a point at which you're just kitted out with 70-attack renewable weapons, even after you beat Ganon.

Again, I'm not out chain-killing Lynels for the hell of it, so maybe I'm not the right person to speak to this, but that also doesn't seem to be what the game was built for. Once you're at a point where survival is no longer an issue, then I'm pretty sure the point is that the game is over. There's no more, at least until DLC. You're artificially dragging it out and demanding the best equipment for stuff you just clearly don't need it for and I think that's not really something the game was ever built for, which is why there's no need for repairing or reforging or an on-demand weapons merchant.

I did almost all of the shrines and all of the main and side quests and never once did I feel like I was supposed to have a full inventory of Royal or Lynel weapons, nor did I ever feel like I needed that for the game to be fun. Once you're at a point where your main goal is to kill things as efficiently as possible, I honestly think you're beyond the point that the game was designed to be played to.

But the game isn't over? I still have things to finish and even with 100% of everything complete I still like to be in the world and wander around. I'm arguing having the option is good. Options are always good in a video game. For instance, I think the whole cooking system was boring and lovely and I went through the game without cooking a single item for myself (only did it if a quest required it) because I found it was unnecessary and that trying to find out recipes was annoying and it wasn't worth the time to cook anything since I found cooked poo poo all over the game already. But I'm glad it was there for people who wanted to use it. Again, I'm at the end game and I want to be the all powerful god since I'm literally Fierce Deity Link stomping around Hyrule. Here's the thing, I already am all powerful since I'm literally stocked up with weapons and bows that are as high as they'll go. Just getting those weapons is tedious and they all look the same. There's really no issue making those weapons forgeable and transmogging to make them look a certain way.

The game is fun and I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing giving the option to do something that some players would find fun especially when they hit the end-game.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

Honestly my main enemy on the Wii U version is enemy pop-in. Like I will be looking at what is very clearly an encampment where enemies should be, all the furniture and props totally loaded, but no enemies in sight, until I get close enough to actually get spotted. Then, presto! Enemies appear like magic. It's really jarring. Is it that bad on the Switch?

I've covered enough ground to activate about half the Sheikah towers and have yet to experience what you're experiencing. The only time I get taken by surprise is if I have my camera misaligned as I'm moving and that enemy spawn spot isn't in sight.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Green Tea Erotica posted:

If humans evolved from apes, how come there are still apes around?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HERAK posted:

Technically not. That is an accurate translation and best reflects the content in it's original language. The difference is between a translation and interpretation. A translator will translate directly and almost literally from one language to an other. An interpreter will take the meaning and intent from one language and make you understood in the other language. It's up to the player to recognise this and understand the cultural and linguistic viewpoint of the authors.

Also having worked with both a translators and interpreters. I will take an interpreter every time for a face to face interaction, it is a bizarre and very cool experience to be talking and the interpreter starts before you've even finished.
It can't be helped, then.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I don't think the Zora->Rito connection was confirmed in the games by anything more than Laruto in Wind Waker saying that the person carrying her harp was a member of her bloodline. I'd guess it was a result of dungeons being cut rather than them intending to imply that the fish people turned into bird people because there was too much water.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fortis posted:

I don't think the Zora->Rito connection was confirmed in the games by anything more than Laruto in Wind Waker saying that the person carrying her harp was a member of her bloodline. I'd guess it was a result of dungeons being cut rather than them intending to imply that the fish people turned into bird people because there was too much water.

I mean she says

quote:

"My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword. And yet... unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument..."

It was clearly meant to imply it at the very least

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aonuma said in an interview that the Rito were the descendants of the Zora just like the Koroks are the descendants of the Kokiri. There's a;so stuff like Medli having the Zora symbol on her clothes.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

El Burbo posted:

Aonuma said in an interview that the Rito were the descendants of the Zora just like the Koroks are the descendants of the Kokiri. There's a;so stuff like Medli having the Zora symbol on her clothes.

I hope the next game has kokiri hanging out with koroks in addition to the rito and zora co-existing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Weapon forging chat, it could be neat as a little token frivolous thing rather than "I want to affix the maximum damage to everything please". They would still be disposable weapons in the end, but you'd be able to essentially tack the Gold grade durability mod onto a weapon you already have, if you really like using that sort of thing and already have more resources than you know what to do with.

I'm okay with normal weapons being normal weapons though, as much as I'd love it if my favorite ones stuck around much longer. Or at least more consistently accessible. "No, lizal, buddy. I know royal gear is cool and all but I want more of your sweet pointy boomerangs more often. Also what happened to all the dragonbone shields? Even the Bokoblins use royal now and I don't want to have to switch to thunder helm to use anything but guardian shields in thunderstorms."

I'm more let down by champion equipment than anything. Not because you can find things as damaging or more later down the line, but because it's... Just a standard weapon/shield with nothing special to them beyond the fact you can get another one... But you still need a normal weapon/shield to do it. Maybe if they removed the weapon conversion aspect, at least? It's just extra loving around to go locate a bargain bin tier weapon first (Zora spears seem missing out in convenient ten feet away from the smith action like everything else has).

There is a reason the Rito Bow is basically the most popular champion weapon. It still has it's uses even when half your inventory is lynel x5 shot bows. Meanwhile you hardly ever hear anybody mention the Gerudo champion sword, and next to never hear anyone mention the Gerudo champion shield. If the rest of them had some extra edge, it would really help them stand out rather than end up shelved because gently caress it you're tired of replacing your Silverscale Trident with nothing to show for it compared to looting several spear type weapons from the next Hinox you see.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I wish more weapons had a charge like the Master Sword

Is that even a spoiler any more?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Link should be able to craft weapons together, but because he's bad at it he should put two weapons together to make them stronger but then that weapon breaks more easily. And then the model is just the two weapons taped together with random materials.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Phantasium posted:

Link should be able to craft weapons together, but because he's bad at it he should put two weapons together to make them stronger but then that weapon breaks more easily. And then the model is just the two weapons taped together with random materials.

Surely there was duct tape in Hyrule

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

weird Asian candy posted:

Surely there was duct tape in Hyrule

One of the great Sheikah secrets.

The Master Tape.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fish hosed a bird, so what

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Runcible Cat posted:

One of the great Sheikah secrets.

The Master Tape.

Remember, rubber was an ancient material only found in legends in the current Hyrule. Duct tape must be a straight up gift from Hylia herself

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Captain Invictus posted:

Everyone does.

Except that one girl who's like "you're not my type"

Like what is your type, because link is basically the perfect humanhylian

There are several people in the game who say that Link is not their type (wandering Gerudo, who are all looking for husbands, are especially likely to size him up), and they pretty much all say that it's because he's not particularly muscular.

So, basically, the universe of Hyrule is divided between people who want to marry Link and people who want to marry Prince Sidon.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That memory you find up on a mountain kind of overlooking the wetlands is pretty badass. Just scores of dead monsters left in Link's wake including a bunch of Lynels and he just has a scratch on his forearm. All that and Zelda still had the nerve to scold him by saying he's not immortal.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Rand Brittain posted:

So, basically, the internet is divided between people who want to marry Link and people who want to marry Prince Sidon.

ftfy

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I'm stalling on finishing this game even though I'm completely ready for Hyrule Castle because I don't want to be done with it, so I'm actually getting all 120 shrines (not getting all the korok seeds though, Christ I've played this game a lot and only have 200). I haven't done anything this completionist since like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I'm glad I started to do this though, because I got to see the conclusion to the Kass arc just now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spikeguy posted:

Everyone wants to bang Link, except Robbie, who wants to gently caress an oven.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Princeps32 posted:

I'm stalling on finishing this game even though I'm completely ready for Hyrule Castle because I don't want to be done with it, so I'm actually getting all 120 shrines (not getting all the korok seeds though, Christ I've played this game a lot and only have 200). I haven't done anything this completionist since like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I'm glad I started to do this though, because I got to see the conclusion to the Kass arc just now.

I put off going to my last zone (Gerudo Desert) for ages for the same reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

But the game isn't over? I still have things to finish and even with 100% of everything complete I still like to be in the world and wander around. I'm arguing having the option is good. Options are always good in a video game. For instance, I think the whole cooking system was boring and lovely and I went through the game without cooking a single item for myself (only did it if a quest required it) because I found it was unnecessary and that trying to find out recipes was annoying and it wasn't worth the time to cook anything since I found cooked poo poo all over the game already. But I'm glad it was there for people who wanted to use it. Again, I'm at the end game and I want to be the all powerful god since I'm literally Fierce Deity Link stomping around Hyrule. Here's the thing, I already am all powerful since I'm literally stocked up with weapons and bows that are as high as they'll go. Just getting those weapons is tedious and they all look the same. There's really no issue making those weapons forgeable and transmogging to make them look a certain way.

I mean, what you're asking for is a pretty complex system that totally undermines one of the game's core gameplay aspects. I don't think options are always good and this is a good example. Sometimes an option would undermine the game or just not be worth including.

You want to customize weapons, sure, that's cool. But that means you're spending time in menus making choices and all that's gone when it breaks. So maybe it remembers weapons you customized so you can remake them. That's a pretty complex extra gameplay system to add on. Then maybe we'll take out the customizing and just let you reforge certain weapons. Which ones? Do you register some? Is it any weapon you've ever picked up? And on top of that, it undermines the entire durability system, so we'd need to squirrel it away somewhere, maybe only in the post-game. So we have a complex weapon system that most players won't use and that replaces the game's core weapon mechanics.

I just don't think it would have ever made sense as an inclusion. And if they just implemented repairing across the board, I guarantee most players would feel forced to hold onto damaged weapons and regularly go back to town to fix them and that's tedious as hell compared to "throw it away, get a new one."

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure you'reu not supposed to have a full inventory of super-weapons at all times and if it's tedious to maintain one it's because the game wasn't designed around the player doing that in the first place.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think the idea in WW was the Zora were transformed into Rito by the gods, so that they wouldn't be able to swim around in the sealed Hyrule. They also basically just humans with beaks in place of noses, and had to be given their wings through a dragon god's blessing.
The Rito and Zora in this game both have a lot more animal features than previous versions, and might just be a natural divergent evolution that occurred in a different timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone wants to bang Link, except Robbie, who wants to gently caress an oven.

And insists Link strips in front of his wife.