Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

there are centrists who are good at messaging, for instance jason kander, roy cooper, or josh shapiro

the clinton campaign was uniquely retarded in that regard, my friend

I don't know if he'll win but Ossoff's ads are pretty straight forward and attack government waste and corruption which I think is something most people would like to see less of unless you work for the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

I mean it's not hard, mainstream Dems have their primaries on lockdown but don't know how to talk to anyone who isn't a carbon copy of themselves. We've been way over this already dude, c'mon

the idea that the ge is easier to win than the primary for a leftist candidate seems a bit absurd to me

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Concerned Citizen posted:

the idea that the ge is easier to win than the primary for a leftist candidate seems a bit absurd to me

Could you say that this is, perhaps, of concern to you?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
speaking of primaries

https://twitter.com/tomperriello/status/849231838031876096

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Say what you will about the tenets of progressive populism, Dude, at least it's an ethos

Gotta have a message, gotta convince people it will help them, New Deal politics will do that nicely

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Klobuchar Is supposed to be the guest speaker at the TN Jackson Day dinner.

Should I bother with making a polite apology for not attending or an outright "hell no?" Reason is mainly the price -- they're asking $150 a ticket, and i've never spent three figures on food without some sort of expectation that it'll last me the rest of the month.

quote:

Since election day, Tennesseans have sprung into action in every corner of the state, holding our elected officials accountable and leading the resistance to President Trump. In case you haven't noticed, it's working: The Affordable Care Act is still standing!
We need your support this year at our Three Star Jackson Day Dinner to build on the momentum and turn all of this energy into electoral victories in Tennessee.

Senator Amy Klobuchar has been a leader in the senate since 2006 and she will speak at Jackson Day because she believes we can elect another Democrat to the US Senate from right here in Tennessee! Take a moment to watch this video from Senator Klobuchar's first campaign to see the type of leader she has been from the start:

https://t.e2ma.net/click/yjqk3/irp07e/a9tlug

For Tennessee Democrats to be successful, we need to have the resources necessary to support our candidates and campaigns across the state. Jackson Day is our largest fundraising event of the year. What we raise on May 19 will have a tremendous impact on what we can do going forward. We want to send a clear message to everyone in Tennessee that the Democratic Party is ready to fight back!

Join us today by buying a ticket or becoming a sponsor for our Three Star Jackson Day Dinner, we need you with us!

Tickets
$150.00

Sponsorships
A,SFH*: $25,000
Courage: $10,000
Unity: $5,000
Vision: $2,500
Table (10): $1,250
Finance Council: $1,200

*Angel, Sent From Heaven

:jerkbag:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol at anyone rushing to defend chelsea clinton just l o l

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

zegermans posted:

>Leftism is the light for America
>Dems run terrible campaigns
>Leftists keep losing to Dems in primaries

Are you really this stupid?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

zegermans posted:

>Neoliberalism is the light for America
>Dems shut down leftists and run terrible campaigns
>Neoliberals keep losing to GOP in all elections

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

MaxxBot posted:

Could be blockchains, I'm blocked as well and definitely have never interacted with them.

I don't think I'm on any chains, I just touched this particular poop at some point.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

tadashi posted:

I don't know if he'll win but Ossoff's ads are pretty straight forward and attack government waste and corruption which I think is something most people would like to see less of unless you work for the White House.

I haven't been following that race - it seems hopeless but I'm glad to see there's some effort going into it at least.

Oh, wow. I wonder if Obama or Biden will come out for Perriello.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Like an actual rock could defend itself from a competent, funded primary challenge as long as that rock is the incumbent.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

Say what you will about the tenets of progressive populism, Dude, at least it's an ethos

Gotta have a message, gotta convince people it will help them, New Deal politics will do that nicely

yes, a good progressive campaign is better than a bad centrist campaign. but the dem primary base should be more receptive than the general electorate. if you're running a base-focused campaign, that should be the easy part.

i am reminded of lucy flores getting wrecked by the establishment candidate that got outspent massively by her. because she decided that she shouldn't run tv ads and instead should spend all her money knocking on doors. progressives can run lovely campaigns too! (and they often do)

Vox Nihili posted:

Like an actual rock could defend itself from a competent, funded primary challenge as long as that rock is the incumbent.

i'm not thinking of primaries against incumbents, which are always uphill even when the incumbent is mired in scandal

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GalacticAcid posted:

I haven't been following that race - it seems hopeless but I'm glad to see there's some effort going into it at least.

'some' is way understating it. There's a national effort to pour money into the race and it's going to end up close enough, in an incredibly Republican district, that it's going to end up scaring at least a few Republican representatives.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Me, looking over a list of why leftism doesn't win, which doesn't include "the majority of Americans don't like it"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

but the dem primary base should be more receptive than the general electorate.

Absolutely not. Older Democrats (ie the ones voting in Democratic primaries) have shown time and time again that they care less about policies and more about the number of things you have on your resume and what opinion the Venerated Party Elders have on you. See: that time they nominated John Kerry

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

You are dumb

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Me, looking at Zegerman's post history:
http://i.imgur.com/jArJz56.jpg

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

Me, looking at Zegerman's post history:
http://i.imgur.com/jArJz56.jpg

>Zegerman is the light for America
>Hillary runs terrible campaigns
>Zegerman poo poo on he own balls

confusedguy.jpeg

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I like how your middle point is internally contradictory

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

Absolutely not. Older Democrats (ie the ones voting in Democratic primaries) have shown time and time again that they care less about policies and more about the number of things you have on your resume and what opinion the Venerated Party Elders have on you. See: that time they nominated John Kerry

i think if anything the 2016 election proved this is literally the exact opposite, given that sanders won 23 states and trump won his party's nomination. voters do not give a poo poo about party elders, but support from party elders often correlates with viability.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

You mean the centrists won't vote for a leftist? But they hate purity tests!

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The real question is why are you guys so easily trolled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

zegermans posted:

I like how your middle point is internally contradictory

the majority of their tactics are bleeding left opposition dry in the courts and stalling so that they miss ballot deadlines. on every level. it's got very little to do with what's traditionally considered "campaigning"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

indigi posted:

the majority of their tactics are bleeding left opposition dry in the courts and stalling so that they miss ballot deadlines. on every level. it's got very little to do with what's traditionally considered "campaigning"

no it isn't

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zhulik posted:

The real question is why are you guys so easily trolled

i keep telling themmmmmmmmmmm

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i think if anything the 2016 election proved this is literally the exact opposite, given that sanders won 23 states and trump won his party's nomination. voters do not give a poo poo about party elders, but support from party elders often correlates with viability.

Hillary won safe blue stronghold states full of people like the ones I know IRL who fit the description I posted to a T. They are the ones with all the delegates. Bernie won more when independents could vote and where being a registered D voter was less core to people's identity. The fact that Bernie almost won but couldn't because MA, NY, and CA were full of too many old people who definitely voted for Kerry doesn't really disprove my thesis.

And I don't really think the GOP primary is relevant, I wasn't talking about them

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

indigi posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeppers

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

Hillary won safe blue stronghold states full of people like the ones I know IRL who fit the description I posted to a T. They are the ones with all the delegates. Bernie won more when independents could vote and where being a registered D voter was less core to people's identity. The fact that Bernie almost won but couldn't because MA, NY, and CA were full of too many old people who definitely voted for Kerry doesn't really disprove my thesis.

And I don't really think the GOP primary is relevant, I wasn't talking about them

Oh look you deleted the entire Black South again. Do you write for Jacobin?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

hillary's margin of victory came from running up the score in southern minority-heavy states, not because she won MA and CA by like 3 points. take south carolina, georgia, florida, and texas. all of which are completely open primaries except for florida. bernie lost because he, for whatever reason, had almost 0 appeal to black voters and also allowed hillary to take a significant lead among latinos.

bernie ran very competitively, or won, in many solidly blue states. he absolutely crushed in rhode island, for example, which is generally considered the most democratic state in the nation after maybe hawaii. washington, oregon, rhode island, colorado - and he ran very close to hillary despite having the disadvantage of essentially having already lost in late states like ca.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Apr 4, 2017

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Those Superpredators get their votes taken away when they're thrown in the private prisons that back Dem campaigns.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Sorry Z, I know you're just in one of your "moods," can't play this time, I got you on the next one though :respek:

hillary's margin of victory came from running up the score in southern minority-heavy states, not because she won MA and CA by like 3 points. take south carolina, georgia, florida, and texas. all of which are completely open primaries except for florida. bernie lost because he, for whatever reason, had almost 0 appeal to black voters and also allowed hillary to take a significant lead among latinos.

I bring up the stronghold states because those are the ones with all the self-described "liberals" in them which he had to win to Make A Statement. He could not, largely because of the aforementioned old people. The same age-divide thing is what also lost him the South, now that you mention it, except even more so because his Youth Engine wasn't running at full bore yet and then Jeff Weaver gave up immediately.

e: I guess it wasn't the SAME age divide -- older black people have nothing but goodwill toward the Clinton family, though whether it is deserved is the subject of many a thinkpiece and I won't get into it here. That's not strictly the same thing as the stronghold-state "all the important people like Hillary so I'm mad if you disagree with them :mad:" old people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hellary

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

Dems are great at one thing, controlling their own bureaucracy with an iron grip.

Like any class of otherwise incompetent bureaucrats in the world, it's part of self ordering institutional intelligence inherent to hierarchical systems.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, also RI has enough college students proportional to its population to balance out the Newport crowd. That makes them a special case. Hawaii is very blue in vote total but I wouldn't call them a "stronghold state" because they're usually fairly distant from "the establishment" as we know it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

Those Superpredators get their votes taken away when they're thrown in the private prisons that back Dem campaigns.

And now we're to the not-racist "blacks didn't know how to vote right" phase

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
meanwhile in CA 34, Sanders has failed to issue and endorsement despite one of his state campaign guys being one of the candidates. i understand that CA counts for basically loving nothing politically speaking, but cmon throw us a bone here Bernie.

if we end up going into the June election with Robert Ahn versus Generic Doomed Republican #241, im going to be irritable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

zegermans posted:

I'll never stop lolling while I retrospect about during the primary about how everybody was arguing that the minority coalitions in the dem party vote for the electable candidates since it's just a necessary stopgap. Hillary really owned the hell out of that particular bloc, if so. She is one hell of a scam artist. She's still giving speeches lol.

• Locked thread