Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If Yooka-Laylee had you collecting nubbins to kill fascists I might be into it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, what sterling stuff? he is kinda of wanker but like i am not surprised people didnt like yoka laylee. playing the demo, it was clear it was going to be a niche thing.

Oh, it was discussed earlier about how Jim Sterling started his whole ironic fascist imagery stuff a long time ago and now with the way the wind is blowing it's not as "funny" as it used to be

Nate RFB posted:

People forget that Persona 4 is really not that old at all. The very first release on the PS2 was two years into the loving PS3. So no I don't think misplaced nostalgia is playing that big of a part here.

Kids who played Persona 4 when they were twelve would be graduating college now, that would be enough time for nostalgia I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lurdiak posted:

I think your premise is a little flawed there because while it's nice for a child to have a "big budget" game, I think the sheer volume of cheap, indie, free and mobile games a child has access to makes it difficult to compare the experience of a child today to that of one back in the "one game at christmas every year" generation who grew up with an N64. The cheap/free games I could play as a kid were garbage Game and Watch tier stuff, while a kid today can play some genuinely amazing stuff at no cost at all.

this. kids least when i was one, dont have discerning or good taste. they just buy "my favorite cartoon": the game or movie based games or whatever aunt or grandma got. my first game for ps1 was star wars teras kasi.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

gently caress you guys, I'm still gonna play and enjoy Yooka Laylee.

You guys are willing to spend 70+ hours collecting herbs in TW3 but are gonna bitch about collect-a-thons, what the hell.

I'm also not willing to do that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be nice if they actually made a video game where people are like "Nah I don't want to gently caress you, you're ugly" to the main character. That's like the number one reason people don't get hosed in real life, but it never seems to come up in video games with romance stuff.

Sorry, I can't get behind this idea because I'm real loving handsome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. kids least when i was one, dont have discerning or good taste. they just buy "my favorite cartoon": the game or movie based games or whatever aunt or grandma got. my first game for ps1 was star wars teras kasi.

That's not what I was saying, exactly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's not what I was saying, exactly.

true. sorry read it wrong.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kids who played Persona 4 when they were twelve would be graduating college now, that would be enough time for nostalgia I think
I think you will find that one Persona 4 on the PlayStation 2 was rated M for Mature, so obviously no 11 year old would ever have played it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I played persona 4 like three years ago and absolutely loved it despite being a regular "grr ANIME" ranter in this here fine forums, it is a really good game

So yeah that "nostalgia" analysis was just hand-wavy bullshit, people are excited for P5 because P3 was a solid RPG, P4 was fantastic, and P5 is by all accounts just as good if not better

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/849292882741567488

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't Square one of those companies that keeps declaring their games a failure when they don't sell COD numbers?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I turned the entire hud off in Witcher 3 and learned what each herb actually looked like. That's right. I can't identify any plants in real life, but when I was playing Witcher I was practically a botanist.

edit: Nier: Automata is literally on track to outsell Bloodborne.

I kinda doubt that it actually will, but it had a hell of a strong start.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Awwww

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1HcEU7sho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

Last game good. New game also good, people excite.

Save this for the May thread title

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't Square one of those companies that keeps declaring their games a failure when they don't sell COD numbers?

Nah. They did it for Tomb Raider (probably because of FFXIV imploding at the same time) but usually they're pretty happy when their niche stuff sells well and Automata is niche as hell.

Yoko Taro sure wouldn't be making more games if they were going to judge his stuff by that metric.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Save this for the May thread title

Are there games in may

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there games in may

Save this for the May thread title.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Kind of weird to have a spoiler for what I'm assuming to be the third play through right there in the press piece. I mean, I suspected as much, but it certainly robs me of that moment of discovery.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
A Yoko Taro game selling a million games in the first month is not something I ever imagined happening. And with a good game no less. Crazy times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Are there games in may

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sa forums > games > please MAY we play some game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Prey, Injustice 2... uh... Rime looks like it might be good? The Surge, maybe

ill get prey because i need my shock fix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Kind of weird to have a spoiler for what I'm assuming to be the third play through right there in the press piece. I mean, I suspected as much, but it certainly robs me of that moment of discovery.

Sorry, the fact that there were multiple playable characters is something they advertised before the game came out so I didn't think of it as a spoiler.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

It's obvious they didn't have any idea how to make fun boss battles with the combat system they had, which is heavily geared towards crowd control. Even City struggles with that. I mean the bosses in City aren't quite as bad, but I don't think anyone enjoys any of them as much as fighting just a big group of enemies. Origins set out to fix that and make truly fun boss battles, but only partially succeeded. I don't know how Knight handles it, but I doubt they finally nailed it, especially since most of that game's combat is tank-based.

Knight plays to its strengths pretty well. As you said, the combat system is based on crowd control, and a lot of Knight bosses aren't really about 1 on 1 combat versus the actual boss. Defeating Two-Face is really a series of missions that are a new take on Predator encounters, taking down Penguin is a series of double-team combat missions with Nightwing, Harley is a double-team combat encounter with Robin, Riddler is a combo of Batmobile races, puzzles (duh), and double-team combat with Catwoman. The battle with the Arkham Knight is a mix of Batmobile sections and Predator encounters. Firefly is mostly Batmobile sections with one final encounter being kind of old-school with dodging and using the grappling hook.

The ones I know for sure that are combat with the bosses themselves are Albert King in the western set and Pyg, but neither of those are 1 on 1. You fight them as part of a group.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol at the idea ofPersona 4 being some teenage nostalgic touchstone

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

sa forums > games > please MAY we play some game

We did this last year

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

In Training posted:

lol at the idea ofPersona 4 being some teenage nostalgic touchstone

Some people just like to contribute an opinion I guess, regardless of how little they might actually know about the topic at hand

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

KingSlime posted:

Some people just like to contribute an opinion I guess, regardless of how little they might actually know about the topic at hand

Some people even spend $10 for the privilege of just spouting off any random poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been any news on the release for the next Miku dlc. I need more cosmetics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mae Games Chat: Demontower rulez ok???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wii would like to Prey

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ask me about spending $10 for the privilege of posting an image of Gary Busey

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Me and lets hang out beat Rain World last night and it a very cool ending sequence

I got sick today (really!) and have been playing Persona 5 on and off, it is good. Though one anime cutscene was missing subtitles so I got lost but it's been fine otherwise. I've been playing with JP audio since this is the first persona game in the west to have it I think and it's novel and Persona is one of those games I want to go maximum weeaboo on.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

KingSlime posted:

no matter how huge or important the game is to me, buying a special edition = just more clutter to stash

I got it down to where there's only one game series that I grab collector's editions for and it was pretty nice to sell off a bunch of CEs for games I don't particularly care about, and in one instance, actually make a decent chunk of change off of selling collector's edition that was actually collectible.

KingSlime posted:

I'd say it's proper 3d castlevania more than metroid, it feels exactly like playing Order of Ecclessia or any of the other DS titles to me

"Feels like" is subjective but I stand my ground on this assertion

I only have two Castlevania comparisons for souls game but they would be Demons' Souls is Lament of Innocence because they both start in a hub area where you can start any area out of order, and Order of Ecclessia is Nioh because you have these intricate levels that are self contained and also OoE is pretty difficult.

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be nice if they actually made a video game where people are like "Nah I don't want to gently caress you, you're ugly" to the main character. That's like the number one reason people don't get hosed in real life, but it never seems to come up in video games with romance stuff.

Not because they're ugly but that's partially what happens in the .hack G.U. games. You spend an entire trilogy of games obsessively trying to save the girl but in the end she's like "I could see everything you're doing the whole time and I'm not really interested" right about the time he realizes he isn't either. But then he gets a different girl and sort of rends that moot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe it's because I didn't have a choice in 3/4 and got accustomed to it but P5 is the first time I've been given the choice of language stuck with the dub...feels natural for this series

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Would definitely be hilarious if people recreated themselves with the character creator or imported faces.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

In Training posted:

Maybe it's because I didn't have a choice in 3/4 and got accustomed to it but P5 is the first time I've been given the choice of language stuck with the dub...feels natural for this series

P3 and P4 dubs were excellent

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Snak posted:

A game where you start out fat and ugly, but you can grind a lot to be super ripped and get cosmetic surgery to look more attractive. But at the beginning of the game people won't bang you because you're ugly. If you get all the changes, they still won't bang you because they just don't like you that way. In fact, they actually got with someone who's not very attractive either but has a great personality while you were busy minmaxing your image. But like, in a way that this comes off as critical towards the player and not in a MRA kinda way.

Wow that actually sounds impossible to accomplish. Like 90% of gamers would take away the message of "wow, bitches, amirite?"

The first half of what you said reminds me of Yume Penguin Monogatari: You're a fat penguin and your girlfriend ditches you for a coolshades penguin. In each stage you have to collect power ups that work off the fat and avoid eating snacks and if you're too fat at the end of each stage you can't proceed. It never goes past that premise though, coolshades turns out to be an rear end in a top hat and the final boss who kidnaps your girlfriend and you have to shoot his wilymachine down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMVHqrCddIc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Has there been any news on the release for the next Miku dlc. I need more cosmetics

I've been waiting since 2015 for someone to say something bad about miku so I can post this gif I made of her shaking her head but it doesn't seem like it will ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lurdiak posted:

That's usually when the games take five years to make and have 300+ people working on it. A Realm Reborn's art team is bigger than the entire development teams for most Japanese games.

Nier's Automata's sales are very impressive for a boutique title, especially on Steam.

• Locked thread