Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

He can't see, though. There was that time his arch-nemesis Shutterbug kidnapped the Mayor's daughter and hid her away in his Darkroom and was like "haha Daredevil don't worry, I'm sure you'll find her in time. Why, I'll even show you where she is!" and help up a photo of the location but Daredevil was like "blast you Shutterbug! Stop mocking my disability and let the girl go!"
Netflix Daredevil has such magical hearing powers he'll hear the difference in the photochemical dyes on the photo and make out what the picture is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Daredevil is Zatoichi except with everything cool and good removed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steve Yun posted:

Netflix Daredevil has such magical hearing powers he'll hear the difference in the photochemical dyes on the photo and make out what the picture is

*sniff sniff*
"Hm, the low levels of acetic acid tell me it's a bright picture, meaning outside. And this being New York, only wide open areas or rooftops get lots of sun. And Shutterbug said 'find her in time'. So it's a clocktower. That's it, Iron Fist! She's being held in the old Metropolitan Life building!"
"Golly gosh, Daredevil, that sure came into focus quick!"
"No time for levity, Iron Fist, we have to parkour to Madison Square Park right away!"
"You bet, Daredevil! But y'know I could have just looked at the picture for you to save even more time!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My issue with daredevil is that he's a blind guy that can see. It'd be like a guy with no arms that has two arms.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

He can't see, though. There was that time his arch-nemesis Shutterbug kidnapped the Mayor's daughter and hid her away in his Darkroom and was like "haha Daredevil don't worry, I'm sure you'll find her in time. Why, I'll even show you where she is!" and help up a photo of the location but Daredevil was like "blast you Shutterbug! Stop mocking my disability and let the girl go!"

Dude, do you not read the comics? Daredevil just needs to lick the photo so he can taste the different amounts of chemicals that create each color and outline, and then he crossreferences that with his memory of locations (or else licks his iphone screen of a google.maps website to taste the difference between photon valences displaying each CMYK color displayed) and then he can identify the place where that photo was taken and then Bob's your uncle he goes and saves the day.

basically Daredevil licks things a lot....or maybe I just read a lot of daredevil fan-fiction, i don't know. I like Lobok's 60's Batman version of Daredevil best, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Patty Jenkins weighs on the Whedon story

quote:

“I don’t even know if that deal is done or not – I don’t have the inside scoop on that,” Jenkins tells the Sun down the line from Los Angeles. “But if it is done, then I’m excited about it.”

“I think it’s super exciting,” Jenkins. “The tone of Joss’ work is great for female superheroes. He takes such a fun approach and I think he’ll have fun in the DC universe, which will be excited to have him.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/04/03/wonder-woman-director-on-joss-whedons-batgirl-hell-have-fun-in-the-dc-universe

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My issue with daredevil is that he's a blind guy that can see. It'd be like a guy with no arms that has two arms.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Oddly enough, blind people can train themselves to see using echlocation. It doesn't give them superpowers though, just helps with navigating the world without eyesight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hodgepodge posted:

Oddly enough, blind people can train themselves to see using echlocation. It doesn't give them superpowers though, just helps with navigating the world without eyesight.

There was an episode of This American Life that was a pilot for another show called Invisibilia, and had a story about a guy who used echolocation and trained others in it to get around exclusively. The production was very irritating but most irritating of all every time they talked about his "superpower" they said "Just like Batman!" and played a stinger from the 89 score.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Daredevil can hear the pewpews of your synapses firing, it's like morse code to him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey what if we took the blind swordsman, took away the swords, and made him a boring rear end white dude lawyer
Yeah sounds good
-nobody

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think Daredevil is the only netflix marvel show I've enjoyed. Incidentally it's the only one with some decent action scenes and characters I at least moderately care about

Luke Cage was terribly mediocre and weird and Jessica Jones just did nothing for me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've been rewatching the different shows and I think Jessica Jones is actually the best out of the series.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Daredevil is two really good 8 episode seasons crammed into 26 episodes. The first season has 3 episodes that are mostly flashbacks. It's a really glacially paced show with some good bits.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Daredevil's Fisk + Punisher stuff was super cool, the Elektra stuff less so. I'm much more likely to watch Punisher than Defenders. I skipped Luke Cage + Iron Fist because they look kinda weak. JJ was very good, but I can't say that I'd be excited for another season of it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Luke Cage was very strong, almost as much so as Jessica Jones. Daredevil, excepting certain small arcs, doesn't measure up to either of them.

Haven't watched Iron Fist yet, I went on vacation to a Netflix-less place a couple days before release and by now the stench has firmly settled around it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Netflix series seem to be in a downward arc from the already flawed Season 1 of Daredevil, whose failure was really the biggest wet fart of an ending after hours and hours of build-up. It didn't have too many as episodes as too much build-up, but it was still the best superhero action they've come up with so far. Jessica Jones was where they obviously start being thirteen episode seasons with at best ten episodes worth of plot. Luke Cage is where they forget to have a central theme for the plot to pivot around.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 5, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I can't believe they made four separate Netflix series about people who are mildly to significantly better at punching and who fight crime in New York.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ferrinus posted:

I can't believe they made four separate Netflix series about people who are mildly to significantly better at punching and who fight crime in New York.

I have very bad news for you about the comic book industry from 1941 to present...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ferrinus posted:

With the intent of teaming up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hodgepodge posted:

Didn't they debunk this?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jose Oquendo posted:

Didn't they debunk this?

No there's actual proof. They've imaged brain activity of people who practice echolocation in experiments and seen their hearing, unlike a sighted person's or a blind person who hasn't trained echlocation, activates the same brain centers as peripheral vision.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

parallelodad posted:

No there's actual proof. They've imaged brain activity of people who practice echolocation in experiments and seen their hearing, unlike a sighted person's or a blind person who hasn't trained echlocation, activates the same brain centers as peripheral vision.

Sounds like "This one weird trick" proof.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not sure if it was double blind tested or whatever but they covered it on NPR which usually has good science reporting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"They did a study using actual scientific instruments to image parts of the brain" sounds like the exact opposite of "one weird trick" stuff

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Guy A. Person posted:

"They did a study using actual scientific instruments to image parts of the brain" sounds like the exact opposite of "one weird trick" stuff

Here is the study, which is suggestive but they only had two subjects (hard to get a very good sample of people who echolocate I'm sure). I'd be interested to see if the activity "flows down", starting in the parietal and moving into the occipital through the calcarine sulcus (where the V1 cortex is located) or vice versa. Starting in the occipital is indicative of "real" perception, while starting in the parietal is indicative of "imagined" perception.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ferrinus posted:

Best part is that Daredevil protects "HELLS KITCHEN' which is just like ten blocks of restaurants, Starbucks, and gentrified apartments.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Best part is that Daredevil protects "HELLS KITCHEN' which is just like ten blocks of restaurants, Starbucks, and gentrified apartments.

Look man. If Daredevil doesn't protect the vegan organic artisanal mayonnaise shops who will.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They predicted this and had an in universe explanation!

The comics were made decades before Hell's Kitchen was gentrified, but after the Chitari invasion all the whole foods were destroyed and the rich people moved out. Now hell's kitchen is ripe for Fisk's real estate buyout because of all the destruction.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

parallelodad posted:

I'm not sure if it was double blind tested or whatever
That's exactly what happened!

DeimosRising posted:

they only had two subjects

:cool::hf::cool:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They predicted this and had an in universe explanation!

The comics were made decades before Hell's Kitchen was gentrified, but after the Chitari invasion all the whole foods were destroyed and the rich people moved out. Now hell's kitchen is ripe for Fisk's real estate buyout because of all the destruction.

In the Marvel world (TV is worse but the movies are sort of guilty of this) there's an ALIEN INVASION ON TV (Natalie Portman says to Thor "I saw you on TV in NY") where thousands died and NYC was partially destroyed, and the worst consequence is a few guys to start buying up real estate.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In the Marvel world (TV is worse but the movies are sort of guilty of this) there's an ALIEN INVASION ON TV (Natalie Portman says to Thor "I saw you on TV in NY") where thousandsdozens died and NYC was partially destroyed, and the worst consequence is a few guys to start buying up real estate.

Fixed based on the most up-to-date MCU retcons

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

In the Marvel world (TV is worse but the movies are sort of guilty of this) there's an ALIEN INVASION ON TV (Natalie Portman says to Thor "I saw you on TV in NY") where thousands died and NYC was partially destroyed, and the worst consequence is a few guys to start buying up real estate.

Actually the TSA for alien invaders got a lot stricter in subsequent years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DeimosRising posted:

Here is the study, which is suggestive but they only had two subjects (hard to get a very good sample of people who echolocate I'm sure). I'd be interested to see if the activity "flows down", starting in the parietal and moving into the occipital through the calcarine sulcus (where the V1 cortex is located) or vice versa. Starting in the occipital is indicative of "real" perception, while starting in the parietal is indicative of "imagined" perception.

I'll have to check that out. The reason I ask is because I've seen two different things on it, both showed it was sorta bogus. The first one I remember seeing is about some kid who claimed to play video games using echolocation, which is obviously bullshit. The second was a guy who seemed to be legit, but the people doing the interview/test with him moved some furniture around and he failed miserably.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's not the worst thing that happened. It's just how they kept Daredevil in his classic neighborhood while also setting the series in present day.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DeimosRising posted:

Someone was presenting up to date research on it here a couple of months ago, and there is good evidence that humans can genuinely echolocate. Lab controlled exercises were of the sort where people would be put 20 (feet? metres? I forget) away from a geometric shape. They were then tasked with identifying the shape by echolocation. There were variations of this study where they were allowed to move, and not allowed to move. People were divided into three groups: blind, expert echolocators (8 people), sighted people, and blind people not trained to do echolocation. I seem to remember that the expert group scored significantly better than the other two groups on all tasks, but also that the results for the other two groups suggested that they were doing better than would be suggested by purely uninformed (i.e. random) guessing.

e: here's their bibliography on the subject

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jerk McJerkface posted:

i think the only thing that died were cars

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait a minute. In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tony Stark founds damage control, right? Presumably for the profit of Stark Industries? And he's in and Iron Man suit causing all the damage in the first place? Is Tony Stark wrecking the city intentionally for profit :tinfoil:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Wait a minute. In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tony Stark founds damage control, right? Presumably for the profit of Stark Industries? And he's in and Iron Man suit causing all the damage in the first place? Is Tony Stark wrecking the city intentionally for profit :tinfoil:

Anyone who directly profits from their crimefighting battles has no place mentoring Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

feedmyleg posted:

The Tesseract was an inside job.

Wake up sheeple.

Read more at: http://forums.starkindeathstries.blogspot.tubmlr.ifowars.gov

• Locked thread